Where am I going wrong? (4231)

Hi all,

4231 is a formation that, as popular as it is, I have never really used in FM. It's never really seemed to work for me. However, I thought that with my Grasshoppers save it was time to try it. Here's how I set up

20e0bc66b5237692b7db2369c7d64a46.png741b9f23ce98daa4226a7cd4397a30c0.png

However, it's been a slow start for sure. I'm not sure if I can pinpoint exactly what the problem is, however, I know there is one. In the majority of the games this season, we have been the worse team. We've not really been creating chances, and we haven't really been holding the ball. Even in games where we have started well and dominated the first half an hour or so, we have slipped and ended up being walked over.

Does anybody have any advice on what to do? Ways to potentially change up the tactic or advice for spotting what is going wrong?

Theres nothing majorly wrong with your formation but I would move your DLP and BWM forward to the centre mid postion and change your BWM to defend, they will still shield your defence but will also create more from deep.

Ive also found "work ball into box" works well with a 4-2-3-1 im currently getting very consistent results with Everton in my 3rd season.

I think the problem with 4231 DM Wide with a high pressing defensive strategy is it's too easy to play past the front 4 due to the gap to the DM's who are shielding the defenders. This then drags them out of position to close down and causes defensive issues. If you want to keep the high pressing strategy I would move the DM's to CM to increase the pressure and distance opponents have to pass to get past your press. You could move your AML, AMC and AMR down to ML, MC and MR if you want them to get deeper and then press to reduce the gap, but consider how that will affect your transition to attack (which is fast, risky and direct).

We've not really been creating chances, and we haven't really been holding the ball. Even in games where we have started well and dominated the first half an hour or so, we have slipped and ended up being walked over.

Your playing attacking mentality with the only instruction to play more direct, you have done nothing to try to keep possession. You've told your team to play fast, risky, direct football which looks to create a chance quickly. My attacking tactic at best is 50% of possession but usually more in the low 40%. How do you actually want to attack? What kind of chances do you want to create? How do you think your instructions + roles&duties will create those chances?

Archived