Red Cards

Don't teams start playing better when they get a man sent off? Isn't that highly unrealistic (it happens in my saves every time a player gets a red card, not just every once in a while).

Does it happen to you?

I'm not posting in the bug forum because I'm not sure it is a bug.

I would say it happens quite often that going down a man rallies players together to fight harder on the field.

In game I would imagine determination and stamina is an important factor in performance after a red card.

More often than not what happens is that if the AI gets a man sent off they change up how they're playing and that catches the user out.

Generally when they go a man down they'll sit a bit deeper, look to play a more defensive style and hit you on the counter attack. As a result they become harder to break down as there's less space for you to work with and because you're having to commit more to the attack you leave yourself open to the counter.

It could make players fight harder on the field, however it shouldn't happen every time and if it does, it shouldn't make the team a lot better every time. It's just not realistic. Irl, when a team gets a man sent off, yes the players work harder, yes they change their play style, but still most of the time they are worse off with 10 men and end up loosing.

Also, it happens both ways. When the AI gets a man sent off, they're better. When my team gets a man sent off, it improves (even if I don't change the play style, which discards that theory)

I dont think ive had that experience at all. When an opponent gets a red, they go more defensive so it can take longer to break them down. I dont recall a single time though being beaten by a team who suffered an early red card though in my 1000+ hrs with this version of the game. They definitely dont become better.

I usually switch to "control" when they red card so I can prevent counter attacks and wear them down with possesion play before ripping them apart.

It goes either way, I try to match them and sit back myself, using the extra man.

A change in tactics to try and retain possession and play the ball around may work, long balls and deep crosses are pointless against a team sitting deep.

Archived