Help with striker in 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3

I'm managing Chobry, club started out in the second division, and now I'm halfway through my third season and I'm hovering around 4-5 in the Ekstraklasa (media prediction was to finish last). Things are going well, although in each of my three tactics my strikers are struggling to get chances. They get a fair number of assists, but I want to get them on the scoresheet more.

I have a very good (for my purposes) defensive tactic that I've been using against strong opposition and tough matches, a 4-3-3 with two DM's and an attacking central mid. Very defensively solid, creates a few clear chances a match unless against really good opposition. Most goals come from a cross to one of the wingers/IF's running into space, or a long shot from the attacking CM.

BGZbqS9.png

JXV11az.png

For games in which I'm more confident, I have a 4-2-3-1, one based on the counter using two DM's and one based on high pressing and control.

YtG42XP.png

rz1aR2S.png

3d6KdHu.png

v4wtmAA.png

When counter-attacking, most goals are a long cross into a winger running into space (same as above defensive tactic), or the striker receiving and laying off a through ball for the wingers or AM to run on to. With the pressing version, most goals come from a cross from the wing back, or one of the two wingers running into space after a through ball.

The latter two tactics (4-2-3-1) are where the striker really struggles, only getting one or two chances a game. It's a bit better in the defensive one (and he gets more assists too), but it could still be improved. Are there any suggestions on how to get the lone striker scoring more? Sometimes they get into goal droughts and loose confidence. It's a newly promoted team in a lower-reputation league operating on a tight budget, so the forwards (Tomasz Mikolajscak and Maxime Lemoine) aren't good enough for the Complete Forward role, which is what I like to use in the 4-2-3-1. They are both naturally best at DLF, so how do I get that to work in these formations and play stiles?

Thanks for any help and opinions

The latter two tactics (4-2-3-1) are where the striker really struggles, only getting one or two chances a game.

It's obvious why is he struggling - you have AP dropping deep to collect ball and two wingers wide which leaves your striker fairly isolated. The trick with double pivot systems (such as your second tactic) is with both fullbacks on attack (or WB/S) to provide width and at least one of wide midfielders cutting inside

It's obvious why is he struggling - you have AP dropping deep to collect ball and two wingers wide which leaves your striker fairly isolated. The trick with double pivot systems (such as your second tactic) is with both fullbacks on attack (or WB/S) to provide width and at least one of wide midfielders cutting inside

Thanks, I make one of the wingers an inside forward when possible, I sometimes don't have the personnel. Would changing the AP(S) to AM(S) help with this? My thinking was that I wanted the attacking mid, one of the best passers, to be the target and then the distribution during the counter attacks, and also to feed in the tricky passes in the congested pressing tactic, which is why I made him AP.

Archived