Closig down

I am still none-the-wiser as to how I can stop individual defenders closing down where there is no need. Secondly, when they do it and it is quite obviously the reason why we concede there is no way of interacting with them to tell them not to do it or to train them not to do it anymore. Of course, you might say their attributes are a contributing factor, this, I understand, yet it happens far to often for it to be attributed solely on the defenders attributes. 

Also, regarding team shape, how can I have an expansive shape when in possession and a narrow fortress when defending? Is it possible?

In conclusion, I feel the game gives you no control over defending. I am more than likely to be wrong so am hoping I can be put right because at the moment I find it almost impossible to have my players do what I want them to.

Unfortunately I am not 'techy' enough to provide pictures or videos of such occurrences but if somebody could advise me on how to do this I would be thankful. 

I am referring to the two centre-halves, mainly, who just need to 'hold the line' and not leave a gap but one of them breaks the line and advances which leaves an opposing striker in a lovely position. Also, the time when TWO defenders go for the same striker and leave another totally free. 

Ok, I currently use two formations, although, this has been a main feature in every formation I use. Also, I change the mentality and team shape depending on my opposition if I deem it necessary.

I have a 4-2-3-1 Attacking-Fluid

Team instructions - Prevent short GK distribution and shorter passing

GK/d

WB/a   CD/d    CD/d      FB/s

DLP/d  BBM/s

IF/s             T/a            IF/a

AF/a

Second formation

4-1-4-1   Counter-Fluid

Team Instructions - Be more disciplined and more direct passing

GK/d

FB/a        CD/d         CD/d             FB/s

DM/d

W/s          CM/a         BBM/s        W/a

CA/a

In your 4231 you have an Attacking mentality.  What does that do to the default closing down setting?

For your 4141 it's perhaps a little less clear cut.  You are playing with a DM, so if you see your central defenders stepping up this may mean your DM is out of position.  You'll need to review some in game play where this happens - watch how your DM is moving, if he's out of position, why is he?  The Fluid team shape may also be having an impact as it allows your players to deviate away from their defined tactical settings.

So maybe, with the Attacking mentality, It might be worth selecting 'close down less' in the team instructions? I don't want it to affect my whole team, though. I'd rather they close down a lot high up the pitch and hold the line as they get closer to our own 18 yard box. I will try it out and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

Then use individual player instructions to target which players you want to close down less rather than the TI which as you say will target everyone.

However, with an Attacking mentality you are starting from a very high position, so even telling certain players to close down less will still see them closing down.  You also need to be aware of the gap between defence and midfield, with just a DLP trying to cover that gap.  I'd imagine your DCL will be the one stepping up more often.

Finally, pay attention to the Aggression attribute for your central defenders.  Too high and they'll be pretty tenacious.

I did consider only have one player with a defence duty leaving space which in return might see the defence not hold it's line but it does happen when unnecessary. I can't seem to ever make two defensive midfielders work with this formation so need to stick with the two central midfielders. I will tinker with it and see what I can do. 

To add to what Herne79 said, I think the Attacking mentality, in combination with the Fluid philosophy (2nd highest in the rank order) might be compounding your problems as it means all your players have a high attacking mentality to some degree, whereas if you go down the spectrum to more structured roles, defenders are more likely to "defend" in a positional rather than attacking sense. In general, do give thought to the combination of mentality & philosophy when you set up a tactic.

Also, which defenders are causing problems? If its those in the FB / WB areas, I find that doing something as simple as lowering their mentality e.g. from WB (S) to WB (D) works well - that can be done on a match-by-match basis or even within the match if you spot your WB lunging in and selling himself.

It really isn't consigned to using Attacking and Fluid mentaliity and philosophy. I switch my mentality and philosophy depending on what I see on the pitch. It is my two Central Defenders where the problem is most prominent. I guess it's just the way the game is. I have used this formation to work from on here as it's the one I'm currently using, and it isn't a bad formation, we are playing some nice stuff, weak from crosses but that's to be expected when using a WB/a. I do fluctuate between philosophies and mentalities and have tried numerous tactics and this is one thing that seems uncontrollable. The most annoying thing is it isn't recognised as a mistake and I can not convey it to the guilty player. When I have tried lowering their closing down they become passive defenders. I guess I'm looking for high-pressing closer to the halfway line and less pressing closer to my 18-yard box but it seems very difficult to implement. 

Archived