Team Talks. Need a Improvement!

BraintreeTownGareth

A little feature which will go a long way. Lets be honest the team talks in FM are abit strange. Losing 4-0 and the most you can say to a player is ' show me something else'.

If anyone saw the Class of 92 Doc the team talks they give aspire discipline into the team. And strike fear into the players. Would like to see ' You have been an embarassment to the football club, you all deserve to be sacked.' Just saying Show me something is abit weak.

Just a thought./

The OP has a really good point - yes you're embarrassing does come up occasionally but normally its i'm not happy or show me something else which above all else is very one dimensional.

I feel the talks need more specifics (which I accept the complexity because if you tell someone to do something it has to be able to be mirrored in the actual mechanics of the game.) I feel you need to be able to set a tone for the talk - i'm unhappy, that wasn't too bad, you were awesome etc. but then go into more detail either as a group, sub groups (i.e. defenders) or individuals - and not just the same talk but tailored to the group

What I mean is I want to be able to tell my defence they need to tighten up, or that I expect them to keep a clean sheet. I want to be able to tell my full back that he needs to stop the winger getting a cross in. I want to tell my winger that he is getting in great positions but that his use of the ball at that point isn't good enough - try squaring it rather than shooting from impossible angles. And so on....

I also want team talks to flow into post match reviews either immediately (locked in the dressing room) or on a monday morning after the game. I want to be able to create notes from play I see and tell my coaches to work with the players on it during the week. I.e. my defence is all over the place - they need to work on that. We've been crap from set pieces, add that to this week's training please; my striker can't seem to hit a barn door - you guessed it get him working on it ASAP

And finally I would like instructions to mean something. If I tell my players to do something and I don't feel like they have done it then I want it to flow into a interaction after the game where we can have a conversation about why they didn't do something and my expectations in terms of either additional training on something or improvements in games...

Just now, kevgaleuk said:

The OP has a really good point - yes you're embarrassing does come up occasionally but normally its i'm not happy or show me something else which above all else is very one dimensional.

I feel the talks need more specifics (which I accept the complexity because if you tell someone to do something it has to be able to be mirrored in the actual mechanics of the game.) I feel you need to be able to set a tone for the talk - i'm unhappy, that wasn't too bad, you were awesome etc. but then go into more detail either as a group, sub groups (i.e. defenders) or individuals - and not just the same talk but tailored to the group

What I mean is I want to be able to tell my defence they need to tighten up, or that I expect them to keep a clean sheet. I want to be able to tell my full back that he needs to stop the winger getting a cross in. I want to tell my winger that he is getting in great positions but that his use of the ball at that point isn't good enough - try squaring it rather than shooting from impossible angles. And so on....

It's still the same effect  -  ie, not being happy with the result. Team talks are supposed to motivate (or de-motivate) players. That's all team talks are.

They're not there to fix tactical issues. That's why there's a tactical section to do all of what you mention.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

It's still the same effect  -  ie, not being happy with the result. Team talks are supposed to motivate (or de-motivate) players. That's all team talks are.

They're not there to fix tactical issues. That's why there's a tactical section to do all of what you mention.

I agree that in the "structure of the game" they are separate but IRL managers combine that stuff. From a player's point of view I want to do all of that stuff in one place and ideally conversationally. I think the touchline shouts (which could be improved) are a great example of that. There are motivational elements to tactical things and this needs to come across else its a bit of a pointless feature. Every documentary I have seen which features managers giving team talks and every dressing room (albeit very low quality) have the manager SPEAKING to players about what they want them to do and usually with motivational elements included i.e. "stop the winger getting crosses in will make a big difference to us"....

You also have to bear in mind that ALOT of FM Players probably know what they want their players to do but the combination of tick boxes etc might get it wrong. For example if you want your full back to show him outside and stop the cross at all costs what setting is that? When you want the player to take it a further 20-30 yards up the pitch IF the grass in front of him is clear and we're on a break rather than aimlessly booting it forward what setting is that?

I recognise this all probably needs a ton of actual programming to be reconsidered and re-written to approach the interactions in a different way but just saying you can do all that now is a little bit wrong IMO

2 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

You also have to bear in mind that ALOT of FM Players probably know what they want their players to do but the combination of tick boxes etc might get it wrong. For example if you want your full back to show him outside and stop the cross at all costs what setting is that? When you want the player to take it a further 20-30 yards up the pitch IF the grass in front of him is clear and we're on a break rather than aimlessly booting it forward what setting is that?

That's a fair request and it'll be up to SI to decide how much spoon-feeding is needed. TBH, stopping a cross is dead easy for anyone to instruct if they just think about it for 30 seconds. It's a simulation after all and we can't just be given everything. Otherwise, why wouldn't we all select "stop the crosses"? Obviously we don't want crosses! I'll also select "stop through balls". And goals. Where does it stop? That's the problem.

Just now, BraintreeTownGareth said:

As kevgaleuk said above. Some factors like asking the defense to tighten up. Instead of a morale boost :)

Tighten up is already there as a touchline shout that'll stay in effect for (I think) 10 mins.

I do think there needs to be some more options for team talks, because they do get a bit repetitive (even the players tell me so :D). I would also like to see extra substitute team talks because you only get 4 options and it seems rather limiting. I can only say "I have faith in you" so many times.

I also really wish the Assistant Manager kept an historical record of past team talks so you can look back at how players reacted previously. I am forever updating a spreadsheet to keep track of these things when I shouldn't need to :(

15 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

That's a fair request and it'll be up to SI to decide how much spoon-feeding is needed. TBH, stopping a cross is dead easy for anyone to instruct if they just think about it for 30 seconds. It's a simulation after all and we can't just be given everything. Otherwise, why wouldn't we all select "stop the crosses"? Obviously we don't want crosses! I'll also select "stop through balls". And goals. Where does it stop? That's the problem.

Totally get that and of course completely fair. I guess my point more than anything is that you probably set your team up and player will adhere to things they are supposed to do through repetition and training BUT they are likely to have off days, come up against a better player or in that game the settings might be a tad off. Rather than needing to spend ages in the tactics section (after all there is only 15 mins at half time and team shouts are supposed to be instantaneous) having things like Tighten Up which you mention for key behaviours would make it more realistic. I probably already have most of the settings done but I want my full back to let the player know he is there; get tight and so on - saying that to him and having it address the settings for that game, in that moment makes sense to me - i also want it just for him in his one on one battle - not the whole team (i.e. i may be incorrect but I don't think you can tell a player to "make a tackle" you can only set opposition player instructions and tell the whole team to get stuck in...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2016 at 21:57, Powermonger said:

I also really wish the Assistant Manager kept an historical record of past team talks so you can look back at how players reacted previously. I am forever updating a spreadsheet to keep track of these things when I shouldn't need to :(

Good idea, and I also think this should have more options to talk with players. 

• 3 months later...

Archived