[Discussion] Minimum expectations: Are they really 'minimum'?

talhak

In Premier League, when do you play with Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, or Man City at the start of the FM16, the minimum expectation of the board is "winning the league". Is this really what those clubs' boards demand minimally from their new managers? Of course every top club targets the best but this does not mean it is the minimum target. I think minimum expectation of those clubs should be qualifying for the Champions League. I think "minimum expectation" means "you will be sacked if you do not succeed". So 3 of those clubs' managers should be sacked at the end of the season.

It seems to me that there can be some flexibility in there. Sometimes the board are sympathetic if you were very close or unlucky not to achieve the minimum (e.g. a tough draw in a cup or losing on penalties). Sometimes you can mitigate the disappointment by doing well in other areas. For instance, just recently I have performed badly in the league but excelled in the Europa League so overall the board were happy enough with me.

However, I do think that in a really tough league like the Premier League that a minimum expectation of winning the league is a bit harsh. Maybe it's a wording thing; perhaps emphasis on 'expectation' rather than 'minimum'. More like a target than a requirement.

2nd season at Man Utd and the expectations are far to high i.e. win prem, win super cup, reach final of fa cup, reach semi of champions cup.  There is no way I can negotiate those expectations down so I'll just have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season, if I get that far.

Usually, if you're in the second season on and have met targets already, they give you a lot more leeway in missing them. But also, they tend to over-estimate the expectations, as you can see (sometimes) by them asking you to win the FA Cup, Final of the CL and win the League. 

It is a bit too much. I think there needs to be a change in either in the language or the mechanic. I'd expect a minimum to be 'top four' in the Premier League, with an expectation/hope to win the league for clubs like United, Arsenal etc. But I don't think we (as fans) expect clubs to win everything or get to every final as a bare minimum, so I don't think clubs will either, barring the special exceptions of Real Madrid and Barcelona tbh.

Yeah guys, thanks for your replies. That is what exactly I mean. Maybe in the future releases, I hope there will be two seasonal evaluation factors for the manager:

- Minimum expectation: If you do not succeed, you will be sacked (of course if you too long trusted by the club. i.e. Sir Alex Ferguson) The minimum expectation of the clubs I mentioned in the OP is qualifying for the Champions League I think. But if you have a big reputation for the club, you would not be sacked or not which is up to the board.

- Target: The target that the fans actually (objectively) demand, where they want to see the club at the end of the season. For example, target of the each club I mentioned in the OP target is winning title imo.

I've found this minimum expectation to be pretty binary - for example, l took Burnley to the top flight, won the League Cup, thus qualifying into Europe, got relegated on goal difference. I failed to survive relegation and was therefore sacked the day after. Compare this to how Sean Dyche has done with Burnley and not been sacked IRL. Same with Steve Bruce at Hull. Roberto Martinez did a similar relegation with cup win at Wigan and was rewarded with a higher profile job. This is a long-term save, I've since gone on to win the title with Roma, managed England and won the Champions League with Porto yet I'm still asked to explain this relegation in job interviews 20 years later.

The 'season finishes - manager sacked' is not too clever and needs improving. For a start, there should be more sackings during the season and fewer at the end, and there should be greater flexibility for those managers who narrowly failed to meet expectations but still had backing of the fans, mitigating circumstances  (injuries, bad refereeing decisions etc). Increasing board interaction significantly would help with this.

I agree with most of what's been said, but generally, the win everything demand when managing a top club is completely over the top. I think some of the expectations should be geared towards your spend. For example, if you win the PL with a good squad, most of whom you inherited, and you make small additions in the close season, the expectations should be along the line of top four finish, decent run in the CL and cups. However, if the you spend tens of millions of the club's money in the close season, then the board would be entitled to expect you to win the league again and gain the latter stages of the CL.  IRL, given the money both clubs have spent,  I think Man Utd and City expect their managers to  win the league, but not necessarily the CL, FA Cup and League Cup,

Overall the expectations situation needs a revamp

7 hours ago, talhak said:

Yeah guys, thanks for your replies. That is what exactly I mean. Maybe in the future releases, I hope there will be two seasonal evaluation factors for the manager:

- Minimum expectation: If you do not succeed, you will be sacked (of course if you too long trusted by the club. i.e. Sir Alex Ferguson) The minimum expectation of the clubs I mentioned in the OP is qualifying for the Champions League I think. But if you have a big reputation for the club, you would not be sacked or not which is up to the board.

- Target: The target that the fans actually (objectively) demand, where they want to see the club at the end of the season. For example, target of the each club I mentioned in the OP target is winning title imo.

I think it could make sense to split things into a short-term and long-term goal, like so:

Minimum expectation (season): What the board expects you to achieve, at a minimum, this year

Long-term goal: What the board expects you to achieve by the end of your contract

So for example, if you were to get the Man United job, your minimum expectation for the season would be to qualify for the Champions League. But your long-term goal would be to win the title within three years. You could survive a couple of seasons finishing 2nd or 3rd, but if you haven't won the title after the third year, your deal won't be renewed.

6 hours ago, thepalebluedot said:

I think it could make sense to split things into a short-term and long-term goal, like so:

Minimum expectation (season): What the board expects you to achieve, at a minimum, this year

Long-term goal: What the board expects you to achieve by the end of your contract

So for example, if you were to get the Man United job, your minimum expectation for the season would be to qualify for the Champions League. But your long-term goal would be to win the title within three years. You could survive a couple of seasons finishing 2nd or 3rd, but if you haven't won the title after the third year, your deal won't be renewed.

This also makes sense. :thup:

By the way, I think this topic is more suited to "Feature Requests" forum. So I request from moderators to move the topic there in order to let this discussion to be evaluated in the future games. Thanks. FYI @Neil Brock

8 hours ago, thepalebluedot said:

I also really like this. I am much more of a long-term build a team with young and youth players towards long-term success rather than short-term buying in players and just focusing on the one season. So the option to be able to say short-term I will do well in the league, but in the long term I will win it, would be ideal. 

Agreed, long term expectation outside of the scope of the season but within the scope of your contract are a positive thing to have.

Also, when you say how the board has high expectations in 3-5 different tournaments I think the important thing to remember is that those are all given in their own specific context, but the board usually looks at the whole picture when judging you, meaning that if you win some but not all you obviously won't (hopefully) be sacked for losing the FA Cup despite taking home the Champions League even if the board's minimum expectation was to win the FA Cup.

On 30/08/2016 at 13:58, alexdeanlive said:

Perhaps you're onto something, maybe going forward the game/board should refer to them as "targets" rather than "expectations"?

This would mirror real life more accurately I feel and would remove the uncertainty.

I agree with that. 

Also, I think a new 'target' could be to "buy x amount of marquee players" or players from a particular region to boost  revenue

• 3 months later...

Archived