[Suggestion]: Continue your previous FM version game in a later one

mitchmanu

I´ve been thinking about this for a while. I usually play long games sticking with the same team for 10 or 15 seasons and if things turn out fine I´ll be their manager forever. 

But every November a new version of FM comes out and I want to try new stuff available in that version so I have to start a new game and naturally never coming back to the previous version and those marvellous 15 seasons at the club I love.

Would it be possible to implement some kind of savegame compatibility between consecutive FM versions? Something that would allow my current game to go on in the next FM version?

The new details of the FM version that weren´t in the previous version had to be worked out to fit  in the savegame, but I guess that´s not impossible to achieve....

Anyone else feels the same?

It'd be nice, but it's never really going to be viable.

New features come in, which older saves just wouldn't be able to bridge the gap to and older features are revamped or remodelled over time and they would create problems of all kinds as well.

The closest I've seen to something like this is perhaps how you can carry a CK2 save into EUIV but that's always been a bit of a disaster when I tried it with certain elements and that's sort of with it that compatibility designed in mind. 

It's in that bracket of never say never, but with current technology its far too likely to be cost/time prohibitive as its a process that would have to be re-done each year. Overtime more and more problems would emerge as well, because say your save is from FM16, but you carried it through to FM17, and then into FM18. It creates more and more issues and it wouldn't ultimately be that enjoyable for players.

9 hours ago, santy001 said:

The closest I've seen to something like this is perhaps how you can carry a CK2 save into EUIV but that's always been a bit of a disaster when I tried it with certain elements and that's sort of with it that compatibility designed in mind. 

CK2, my second favourite game of all time :D

It's a shame it's not possible, would be nice to be able to carry on some old saves. Unless you were really far in the future though, you'd probably miss newer players.

26 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

CK2, my second favourite game of all time :D

I just got that the other week on sale, completely useless at it, but it's still great fun.

11 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

It's a shame it's not possible, would be nice to be able to carry on some old saves. Unless you were really far in the future though, you'd probably miss newer players.

I just got that the other week on sale, completely useless at it, but it's still great fun.

Keep at it, it's great fun. It's a bit like FM, huge learning curve but once it clicks into place it is simple and so fulfilling. If I only ever play two games for the rest of my life, it will be FM and CK2.

40 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

Keep at it, it's great fun. It's a bit like FM, huge learning curve but once it clicks into place it is simple and so fulfilling. If I only ever play two games for the rest of my life, it will be FM and CK2.

Will do!

To be honest, I'm finding it a lot of fun to just watch the ups and downs of my chosen dynasty, even if I do end up burning them into the ground at times.

Well, the new features would have to be "smothered" to adapt to the previous version savegame.

Let´s say that in FM2016 each player has his photo/created picture. In FM2017 is substituted for a small gif/video of the player blinking his eyes and crossing his arms, like the ones in the starting lineups we see here and there. There should be some adaptation in this feature. Our a stadium editor, B creation team request if they are to be implemented. 

The adaptations would be some, yes, but from version to version everything would be thought in which way to fit in a previous version. Or to simplify this, you could only import a savegame of the immediat previous version of the game (you couldn´t load a savegame from FM2015).

Don´t know, just a thought...

I don't think it's possible, it's not easy as we think, and if it's possible, it would take a lot of time work which they might save to add something to the game..

look at this:  when you start new game, you can add only leagues which you downloaded in the time, after that you can't, although it's the same version of FM. this shows how much it's hard codes etc.. something we don't know at all.

• 3 months later...

Archived