[Discussion] overarching strategy for player rotation (especially when simming)

russianorphan7

When simming medium to long amounts of time in a season, I'd like a way to dictate the player rotation strategy. Right now, I don't have anyway of dictating this and so it feels like the assistant manager (for the most part) only start my best players, thereby running them into the ground and neglecting other players, particularly young players I'm trying to develop.

This could be managed through instructions to the assistant manager. If you aren't simming, perhaps this specified strategy could be manifested by how assistant suggests lineups and/or when receiving advice from the assistant. Regardless, I think the key is to capture the logic than managers in real life would use. Here are some concrete examples that I've noticed in real life and so I think should be captured by any implementation:

• dropping out-of-form starters. If the player is a star of the team or is very highly paid, he is much harder to drop though (just like real life).
  • play primarily backups and/or youth players in cup games.
  • rotating players who are tired. Again, star players will be more likely to start regardless.
  • play more offensive at home and/or rotate more at home (or away, you can choose). Conversely, playing a certain strategy or certain players away from home. Perhaps counter attack or more defensive players, whatever you want. 
  • Playing certain players in certain competitions. This is important because I have seen Real Madrid, Barca, and Arsenal at various times play two keepers, with one playing primarily in the league and the other in european competition.

I emphasize not dropping stars because IRL, star players do play almost every game. Many stars would in fact complain and be unhappy if they were dropped without a really good reason. I don't feel like this is really captured very well in FM at this point. 

Perhaps the implementation could be a list of ranked rules similar to (but not exactly like) the current scouting search tool, where you can specify  things such as competition, the quality of opponent, etc. with a corresponding rule such as minimum form, training level, age, conditioning, fitness, jadeness, degree of rotation (low, medium, high or starters, backups, youth, etc.), etc. These rules could also compound together with and/or/except conditions. Since this might get pretty complicated, perhaps there could be some template or pre-existing structure to the rules. 

If that's too complicated or unfeasible, then perhaps it could be some menu with various sliders, check boxes, etc. to dictate the team selection strategy.

Also, the added benefit of implementing some player rotation system is that it would give the AI a framework for selecting the team, which IMO could really use an upgrade. 

Anyway, I know this is all a bit convoluted, and so perhaps the comments can flesh out a more concrete implementation to suggest. What do you guys think of all this?

• 2 months later...

Archived