[discussion] Player Manager

borivoje213

From the title this seems completely outrageous but I was bored and I began to think about it. (there were some other threads that i began to think were going to go this way but didn't)

I'm just putting it out here for sh**s, and because I'm bored.

So...you start the game and add yourself as manager.  There's a check box to add as player manager.  

When you select it, it opens up a menu, here you select a natural position and X (limited number) amount of accomplished positions and PPMs, and a preferred role based on those available in natural playing position.

Your attributes get automatically generated based on, level of playing experience you selected as a manager, natural position and role, age (PA and CA relative to current age and selected playing experience).

This then adds you to the playing squad of the team you manage and any subsequent ones.   I know you could do this using editor but - once created - this player ends up acting autonomously.

The good thing about this is:-

- It reflects that - although limited - there are player managers IRL.

- You'd have a player you genuinely care about the career progression of, on a very personal level.

- You'd have to consider selection based on your actual performances because of how other players and the fans would feel. (your performances would be generated like any other player).

- The player would benefit from training the same way any other player would.  But you wouldn't need to discuss why you've chosen a certain routine or PPM to train because it would be you and you know that's what you want.

Downside/Considerations.

- Player morale would be weird since it'd essentially be you.  But there's no reason your morale wouldn't change the same as any other player based on results and how much game time you're seeing (though the latter probably wouldn't apply since you're happy to make the decision to not play yourself)

- Other influences on performance etc like team-talks would be weird to apply because it's your own teamtalk.  It'd be a crap manager that isn't inspired by his own words.

- Age could be a limiting factor.  Either you'd have a very short playing career at the beginning of the game or you start as potentially a very young manager.  Even though AVB started his managing career at a very young age, there are many clubs that wouldn't employ someone so young or inexperienced.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

• 1 month later...

I kinda like this idea, it would make an interesting twist for the game. It would make it harder for a club to fire you if you happened to be the key player even if you were relegation candidates. It would probably be hard to implement though but maybe in the future this could be a possibility. 

• 1 month later...

Archived