FM17- LLM Free English Players to Consider When Starting a New Game!

Bothan Spy

Hi guys. Like a lot of others out there, I like to manage lower down the English pyramid and I enjoy scratching around for the odd bargain or three. So I have cobbled together a team of what I think is a decent side of English players available who you can pick up for free at the start of a new game (providing Neil Warnock doesn't get in there first!) that could do a decent job at league one and below.

I have left out the English players I have already listed in my previous threads (Kirkland, Zamora, etc.). Enjoy and feel free to comment or add to!

1vxz8QN.png

firstly lets start in the obvious spot. the goalie! apart from chris Kirkland, who I have already highlighted in a previous thread, the pickings are very slim. I've gone for simonsen. an experienced keeper who has had a solid career. he finds himself without a club after his Indian adventure.

vdq87xQ.png

next the DR. one player stood out here who is available and its tony. he has been a loyal servant for Everton for years and IMO was cruelly ditched by them. but their loss is your gain. at 35 its obvious his best years are behind him, but I think he has one or two seasons left in him yet.

mSmkhuy.png

as for the other full back (DL), ive gone for ryan taylor. he was jettisoned by hull after a solitary season and is now on the lookout for a new club. he can play on both flanks which is a bonus for any side. granted, ryan and tony aren't the quickest, but you cant argue with their premier league experience.

Fwz6WtR.png

next up is the DCs. ive gone for more experience here which is what you need at the back to calm the raw youngsters you may have coming through. they don't come more calmer and more experienced than ex-England stopper matthew upson. a potential captain for any lower league side and a great influence on players coming through the ranks.

jaDilKt.png

to partner him, I was looking for somebody with a little more pace so ive gone for magnus who is another that finds himself in the job market. Colchester fans will know all about this ever present DC. maybe he hasn't got the top flight experience of the other defenders in the line-up, but he knows how to do a job at lower level.

The midfielders next:

3XYrikF.png

for my ball winner ive gone for somebody who English fans will be very familiar with. brave and aggressive, nigel is everything you need in a DMC and should be ready for a return to blighty after his MLS stint.

rISddMj.png

for the AMC role im going for jose. he seems to have lost his way a bit in his personal life after receiving a lengthy ban. its a shame really as he has the potential to do great things as his career record shows. he has youth on his side so hopefully he can get his career back on track soon.

pSk4zWK.png

for the right flank ive plumped for Hogan. his career hasn't been as settled after long periods at west ham and QPR, but he still has plenty to offer. a very versatile player who can do a job anywhere in the middle of the field.

kEfi79u.png

for the opposing flank (ML) on the free transfer list, ive gone for ryan hall. again a player who's contract wasn't renewed by luton (see magnus above) but again a lad who knows the lower leagues. not the quickest, but a true winger.

pkIO53s.png

now for the front two! out of the best out there for nothing, ive gone for Ishmael miller. at 6'3", he makes a great target man with his excellent strength and jumping. I think bury are on the cusp of signing him at the time of my post!

2x7l8rQ.png

to partner Ishmael up front, I would sign luke moore on a free. they were strike partners for a few seasons at WBA so they should dovetail well! he has never been prolific, but he is another on the lookout for a new team after a stint in the USA.

NOW FOR THE SUBS:

1Jviujq.png

I always like a striker on the bench and you could do a lot worse than Leroy here. big things were expected for lita after he hit the ground running for England's U21s but his career has become a bit journeyman like since. he had a fairly quiet time in Greece and hardly pulled up any trees at Yeovil on a short deal. but, if you're managing in the lower leagues, I think I would take a punt.

qDt3PHI.png

I like dean Hammond. a good, solid MC with some great all-round stats. a good professional who has had a good career. another worthy of the captains armband if you sign him at a lower league club.

mh1w3ox.png

if Hogan isn't doing it on the right wing, then you could do a lot worse than lee here. again not the quickest (which none of this team appear to be attribute wise!), he has had a fairly steady career. he would make a good acquisition at league two level.

glSueIi.png

now as a Bradford city fan, I fully remember zavons impact in 2012/13 from the wing! with plenty of flair, I would defo go for this lad on my flank if I was managing a smaller club in need of freebies!

8cpTq7p.png

dean here finds himself without a club despite some early promise in his career. for whatever reason he has had to drop down the divisions, but if you need a good reliable DC when playing LLM then I would take a look at this guy. at 32, he isn't too old and he still has some creditable attributes.

iiF5gJ1.png

speaking of DCs with still plenty to offer at a lower level, we have luke jones. a terrible injury robbed him of last season and I think he maybe trying to rebuild his career at a non-league level. I haven't seen the database for FM17, but if hes still there and available hes worth considering.

mHvfRCn.png

okay, im gunna end on Will Hoskins. who some of you might say? this lad was bought by Brighton in 2011 from Bristol rovers for £500k after scoring 17 goals, some cracking ones as well. prior to that he was bought by Watford in 2007 for £650k from Rotherham after scoring 15 in 24. is he talented? yes. hows he done since? shyte. but if you're managing in the lower leagues and need a striker with a bit of flair then why not take a gamble?

ITS A 4-4-2 FORMATION IVE USED HERE:

1.Steven Simonsen

2. Tony Hibbert   5. Magnus Okuonghae  6. Matthew Upson (C)  3. Ryan Taylor

7. Hogan Ephraim   4. Nigel Reo-Cocker   8. Jose Baxter   11. Ryan Hall

9. Ishmael Miller   10. Luke Moore

SUBS

12. Leroy Lita

13. Dean Hammond

14. Lee Croft

15. Zavon Hines

16. Dean Leacock

17. Luke Jones