Individual personality traits that you can see make a difference on and off pitch

Greg lane

For example selfish strikers who rarely pass to a team mate in a better position and shoot themselves (Sturridge)?

Temperamental players, when things are going well stats are through the roof, when things are down he barely breaks into a sweat (sissoko at Newcastle compared to sissoko for France)

Overly aggressive players - always the one to fly in two footed rashly for no apparent reason (Ben Thatcher anyone?)

Off pitch saints - Gary lineker, Michael Owen? Consistent and never in the news compared to

off pitch sinners....in so much trouble of the pitch that they are hardly on it....could name quite a few here....

A teamwork stat that affects how well players integrate with each other, very low stats may mean a player wrestling the ball off of your designated penalty taker before missing the target himself (has happened a few times recently) or maybe the odd on pitch fight between team mates ( lee bowyer? )

Plenty more of these personality traits that actually show up in meaningful ways could be integrated and possibly with ways for you, the manager to try and mould these players in a different way.

6 minutes ago, Greg lane said:

For example selfish strikers who rarely pass to a team mate in a better position and shoot themselves (Sturridge)?

This is already covered by the teamwork attribute. Players with low teamwork hog the ball far more.

Temperamental players, when things are going well stats are through the roof, when things are down he barely breaks into a sweat (sissoko at Newcastle compared to sissoko for France)

This is ability to handle pressure. A hidden attribute that can be seen in scout reports (usually as "enjoys big matches" / "doesn't enjoy big matches"). Admitedly could be reworked a little as this is more complex than big match = perform, less important match = don't perform.

Overly aggressive players - always the one to fly in two footed rashly for no apparent reason (Ben Thatcher anyone?)

This is covered by the aggression attribute, and I believe there is or there used to be another hidden attribute for it.

Off pitch saints - Gary lineker, Michael Owen? Consistent and never in the news compared to

off pitch sinners....in so much trouble of the pitch that they are hardly on it....could name quite a few here....

Covered by the hidden attribute of "controversy". Much more prevalent on regens, as original database players can't be given these stories due to legal reasons. You'll see that some regens are "spotted in a nightclub", miss training, etc.

A teamwork stat that affects how well players integrate with each other, very low stats may mean a player wrestling the ball off of your designated penalty taker before missing the target himself (has happened a few times recently) or maybe the odd on pitch fight between team mates ( lee bowyer? )

Also covered by the hidden attribute of "controversy" and also only given to regens. There could be more instances of on-the-pitch occurences where this comes into play, I agree.

I agree with both your points, but how often do you explicitly see the stats making any difference whatsoever.

Players with high aggression playing more games getting less red and yellow cards than players with very little aggression.

Selfish players? I have been playing football manager and championship manager before that for years, and you cannot pick out a noticeably selfish player...it should be really obvious to maybe just a few players in each league. Has Andros Townsend ever passed the ball to a teammate withing 35 yards of goal? No, but no players in football manager play like that.

On pitch fights between team mates and arguments over who takes the set piece - not in the game.

The sissoko example wasn't so much about big game player, it was more player who can play in a winning team but stats through the floor when it's time for a fight.

I understand that they are covered in the stats mostly, I do take your point, but it is only really noticeable in the stats. Once the game starts, the players are really interchangeable personality wise and there is no one player in the game who stands out.

How about the player who gets the crowd wound up or argues with the manager when being substituted?

Or the player who loves an off the ball naughty foul..hair pull, shirt pull, off the ball push or stamp? Maybe I'm being too violent but it all goes on every week especially below premier league level.

The next step for football manager would be to actually feel like you are managing players who behave very differently on the pitch and you can actually see it happen - not just statistics ( I do love all the statistics though!)

Player's do behave differently on & off the pitch.

If you watch the matches closely you can see lots of little things that aren't immediately obvious.

Players get frustrated and they show it on the pitch, some players are more prone to cards than others (I had a MC in FM15 who rarely had a match without a yellow), some dive into two footed tackles when they get annoyed.

You aren't going to get massive arguments & fights in FM but it has far more depth than you give it credit for, you need to take more notice of what is happening on the pitch while off the pitch players react differently to team talks, media interaction etc.

Also with animations getting better every year there is more chance of these type of things being made clearer.

Aggression is about player tenacity - how likely they are not to shy away from challenges.  That doesn't make them a dirty player or someone who commits intentional fouls.  That's covered by the Dirtiness hidden attribute, which will be detailed on a scout or coach report.

Dirtiness can and does make a significant difference to player behaviour - start a game as West Ham and see how long Song will spend watching the game from the stands due to a ban.

However, I see where you are coming from - players being able to express some additional personality on the pitch such as trying to get the crowd worked up.  Might be nice to see the Manager on the touchline doing this as well (Diego Simeone anyone?) rather than just standing there with arms folded.

Fair enough to everyone who thinks this is already adequately covered....just to answer comments about taking more notice during the match....I really am a huge fan of the series and hugely successful at it too, I don't think I need any advice on taking notice during the game, its just that one game feels much like another, and another, and another, whereas in real life there is always one player who winds up another or an incident that stands out happens at least a few times over a season.

I just think the spectrum of on pitch behaviours could be wider. I'm not advocating a pitch full of 22 nutters every game, but the odd flair up a couple of times a season, or player being barracked by his strike partner for shooting when he was open, or having a paddy at you for substituting him, or feigning injury, or running stats a full 3km below any other player in the same position because he has stopped trying?..... does none of this sound like football but not like football manager?

That is really my point, I'm just not expressing it very well....some of footballs rarer on field events due to personality, just to round off an already great game.

9 minutes ago, Greg lane said:

Fair enough to everyone who thinks this is already adequately covered....just to answer comments about taking more notice during the match....I really am a huge fan of the series and hugely successful at it too, I don't think I need any advice on taking notice during the game, its just that one game feels much like another, and another, and another, whereas in real life there is always one player who winds up another or an incident that stands out happens at least a few times over a season.

I just think the spectrum of on pitch behaviours could be wider. I'm not advocating a pitch full of 22 nutters every game, but the odd flair up a couple of times a season, or player being barracked by his strike partner for shooting when he was open, or having a paddy at you for substituting him, or feigning injury, or running stats a full 3km below any other player in the same position because he has stopped trying?..... does none of this sound like football but not like football manager?

That is really my point, I'm just not expressing it very well....some of footballs rarer on field events due to personality, just to round off an already great game.

Agree.  Expressing passion to make players seem more, well, human.

Can I ask what highlight level you use to watch matches Greg?

I certainly see strikers complaining because a teammate took a shot instead of passing fairly regularly.

I actually saw something I've never seen before a few days ago when an opposition player went down claiming injury and the referee didn't allow the physios on telling the player to get up.  I even checked the match report and the commentary lines were there as well.

Despite what I've said in this thread I've no problem with giving players more individuality and improving the animations to make this sort of thing clearer.

EDIT

I also wonder if this is an area where the sound could be improved, I suspect when we watch a match IRL we hear much more of what happens on the pitch, we hear the shouts from players etc.

I generally watch a couple of fulatches when fine tuning tactics at start of the season, then watch a combination of extended and key highlights. As the season progresses and tactics are well settled then most games settle into key highlights after 15 games. 

During the full or extended highlights I have never seen a player being told to get up! Ha ha would like to see that.

I'm guessing the majority of players watch in either key or extended, maybe watching a full match every time would highlight more of these moments....however, real life beckons and so we have to speed up the games sometimes!

• 2 months later...

Archived