Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/19/2016 at 10:21, jcw163 said:

Not got the beta at the moment, but just out of interest does anyone know if it's possible for goalkeepers to commit fouls now?

Have had a keeper carded for handling the ball out of box (momentum carried him out) as well as for committing a foul inside the box resulting in IFK so far...

On 10/19/2016 at 11:02, jackob said:

- why not invest in bringing the 'reward' element of the game to life? It surely has to make you feel like you're doing more than just Winning a Spreadsheet...? Surely we can do more than just a  perfunctory email when we win the FA Cup? How could we manifest this more meaningfully? We want to create memories in the game world...and yet all we have is the game world equivalent of Wikipedia to (not) relive them...

3-D printers ship with all physical copies...print your own trophy!  (very tongue in cheek :)   )

1 hour ago, McClane29 said:

Let us upload our own manager picture again!

The 3D manager is a nice touch, but completely unnecessary.

At least give the user an option of whether to use a picture or the 3D manager.

+1 for that.

The face of my virtual self is always to skinny in the cheeks. Tried several different pictures and moved the yellow dots around but couldn't get the model right.

I know it's flattering to see a skinny version if myself, but it's not really fat-faced me.

Not sure if my team is just bad or this is a bug, but I've had midfielders pass back to defenders who then just kick it square out of bounds as if they were being hurried by an attacking player? Attacking player was halfway between midfield and the box and my defender was just inside the D of the box. 

Also had my midfielders bomb the ball to the wings despite there being no players up there. Still having people shooting from weird angles also rather than squaring it too. 

I've had two game crashes so far, one was when I was updating my graphics packs and kept reloading the skin, the 2nd time was just after my first league game which I won handily 4-0 :(

One other note that's always bothered me is the fact that you can't get a report on a player in your squad from anyone in the Scouting staff. I know the easy solution is to get some coach with a decent JA/JP, but it seems silly to me that I can't ask my Chief Scout for a report on a player.

Other than that I'm loving the way everything is presented this year. I love the post match reports, they're very nice to look at and useful too.

Has the bargaining window for contract negotiations been tightened a bit? Twice now when negotiating a contract for a new player I've made what I thought was a reasonable offer only to be shut down completely. This used to never happen to me unless I went insultingly low with the offer. I like it and think it's realistic, if not frustrating when that's the player you've really set your sights on.

Silly question, but one of the things I really like in the 3D is the level of detail on the kits is great - ie you can see the sponsors etc,.

Some of the Conference South teams still don't have their kits in game - obviously this will be updated in due course, but would I need to start a new save to have this reflected on the team screen and in the 3D, or could I just refresh skin etc? Just a little thing for immersion.

3 minutes ago, CityAndColour said:

Silly question, but one of the things I really like in the 3D is the level of detail on the kits is great - ie you can see the sponsors etc,.

Some of the Conference South teams still don't have their kits in game - obviously this will be updated in due course, but would I need to start a new save to have this reflected on the team screen and in the 3D, or could I just refresh skin etc? Just a little thing for immersion.

No need to start a new game. With graphics you just add the folder you want and clear the cache in preferences.

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

No need to start a new game. With graphics you just add the folder you want and clear the cache in preferences.

I'm talking about the graphics SI do themselves, as not all the kits have been updated. Mainly to know if that will automatically update in the 3D as well as on the team screen, or if that would count as a data change and thus needs a new game (if that makes sense).

7 hours ago, luka_ said:

maybe it is my tactics but I'm seeing huge ammount of long shots. like I had 24 long shots in one game with work the ball in the box TI. and the tactic is perfectly normal 4123, nothing crazy..its strange.

WBIB has never been a silver bullet to stop all long shots. Watch some of them back to see if it is a particular player (s). Check their PPMs and role settings, and then watch the passage of play. Usually happens when the defence is set and there are no available passing options.

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm beginning to see an inordinate amount of those 'crosses-shots' where the commentary says 'he didn't mean that' or words to that effect. It's half time in the game I'm playing just now, and there has been four of them so far. That's the kind of chance that should happen once in a while. My last three matches have had at least one example of this. Might just be a freak occurrence, but I'll monitor it. 

6 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

No, I've seen quite a lot of them ( the cross come shots where the keeper ends up having to save or tip over ?) as well.

Also lots of free kicks on the edge of the box that just get rifled straight into the wall.

6 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

I'm seeing a lot of those mis-hit crosses that give the keeper trouble too, not just the high ones but quite a few that nearly sneak in at the near post and end up tipped around the post.

Well worth you guys triple teaming and uploading a few .pkms in the ME forum for SI to check out. If they get enough examples and agree that it's a bug, it'll help them fix it ASAP.

2 hours ago, Richiness said:

Not sure if my team is just bad or this is a bug, but I've had midfielders pass back to defenders who then just kick it square out of bounds as if they were being hurried by an attacking player? Attacking player was halfway between midfield and the box and my defender was just inside the D of the box. 

Also had my midfielders bomb the ball to the wings despite there being no players up there. Still having people shooting from weird angles also rather than squaring it too. 

SI would want examples of both scenarios in the bugs forum, if you want this investigated. The first one is a known issue, the second could be a tactical setting.  If you upload examples, one of the QA team will give you a definitive answer.

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

And I'm using a flat 442 in ScotLeague2; I'm lucky if I see more than one goal per game. The quality of strikers is utterly awful, and I mean that in the best possible way!

Plus, you figure their tactical sense isn't the best.

6 hours ago, KUBI said:

That's about the same as to vote for Trump. :stop:

Wrong!

11 hours ago, 11Clarkie11 said:

Very happy with the game so far, match engine is very good and loving some of the new features. Minor additions to the contracts and transfers is a good touch.

The only issue I currently have is with injuries. And it isn't the number of injuries as I feel this is just about perfect, it is the seriousness of injuries.

I am playing as Manchester United and have just reached the 1st January. I only have 5 injuries at the moment, however 4 of these are serious. Ibrahimovich was ruled out for 4-5 months, then Eric Bailly ruled out for 8-9 months. Nabil Fekir (new signing) then ruled out for 8-9 months and finally, Pogba ruled out for 5-6 months.

Overall, 4 of my key players have been ruled out for a good 3/4 of the season. I think this could do with tweaking before release. Or I'm just very unlucky.

I've got a lot of injuries in preseason already and even after I quickly lightened the training and upped the resting to create lightest schedule I've ever done in FM, I'm still losing them fast. Needs addressing. Take a look on Steam community, people are experiencing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, tarzanofmars said:

I've got a lot of injuries in preseason already and even after I quickly lightened the training and upped the resting to create lightest schedule I've ever done in FM, I'm still losing them fast. Needs addressing. Take a look on Steam community, people are experiencing the same thing.

It could also be that they're all handling their players wrong. We don't know.

One way to definitively get an answer is to report it in the bugs forum and upload your save to the FTP so it can be investigated, looking at your tactics, training and usage of players in matches.

It'll be worth mentioning how you're using low match fitness players as well, because they are more likely to pick up knocks. 

FWIW, take a look at the gameplay section regarding injuries in the FAQ. It may be of help: https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2017/

5 hours ago, G_D_K said:

Have had a keeper carded for handling the ball out of box (momentum carried him out) as well as for committing a foul inside the box resulting in IFK so far...

Good news as I don't think it's ever been implemented in any previous version.
I'm intrigued about the latter though. AFAIK, Indirect free kicks are only awarded irl against a GK for handling a back-pass or throw-in, if they hold onto the ball for more than 6 seconds or if they handle the ball for a 2nd time after releasing it. What type of foul did he commit?

Edited by Earnie is God!
spelling

26 minutes ago, Persee said:

Im playing a save in Greece, and after one game, my team (Panionios) and PAOK are the only ones who won their first match, but PAOK only got 1 point for some reason? It's a bug right?

PAOK were deducted points as they did not show up to the second semi-final match against Olympiacos in last year's Greek Cup. I think points deductions are shown at the bottom of the league table screen.

10 minutes ago, Gerd545 said:

15exmhg.jpg

Non-realistic or bad luck?!

Player is C. Ronaldo

Certainly realistic and bad luck. The potential to have the same injury recurring for certain injury types was added a few versions back from what I remember.  

Even someone as fit as Ronaldo can have a bad injury.

Edited by johnhughthom

a4fc576e153416b108556969fd00b33c.png

This is stupid I must say.

And more I play the more I like new FM, but damn those long shots are getting on my nerves. 15+ almost every match, even though I set everyone to shoot less often, and have work ball into box included. It may be due to quicker tempo I like, but not so much. And this is general problem in my native FM community.

Just now, Firehouse said:

And more I play the more I like new FM, but damn those long shots are getting on my nerves. 15+ almost every match, even though I set everyone to shoot less often, and have work ball into box included. It may be due to quicker tempo I like, but not so much. And this is general problem in my native FM community.

The agent/contract issue I'd report, if I were you. He shouldn't approach you for a new contract if there's no interest to renew it.

As for the long shots, it could be PPMs or a lack of passing options within your tactical setup. It'll be worth creating a thread in the tactics forum with your complete setup and mention the issues you have.

Will report it ASAP.

Yeah, I looked through player traits, but only one of them have shoots from distance. I know that it can be tactical issue, but in most cases I think there are better options than shooting. It's probably more due to opponents tactics, because most of them sit deep against me, and there isn't much space for my players to exploit. But I would rather surround them, and wait for opportunity to arise, then just smash it into stands. So because of that I think that shoot less often PI should have more meaning.

4 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

This has been happening for a few versions in FM and I suspect its down to two different pieces of code not working together right.

One piece recognises he wants an improved deal because he feels undervalued but the other piece of code means he doesn't want to sign a new contract with Milan as currently he doesn't feel the squad is strong enough.

You should post it in the bugs forum for SI to look at so that they can improve the way it works in future.

4 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

Using shoot less often & work ball into box is like sticking a plaster on when you've sliced your hand off.  You need to look deeper and give your players passing options and time to find them so they don't resort to long shots all the time.

The self made, crudely animated manager model we see when we log in I think looks horrible. Get back normal pictures. Just don't see the point in the animated look that somewhat resembles ourselves. It's tacky and not very classy.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Per Annum said:

When my u-18 manager sends me the report from my (and therefore his) u18 team matches, the message begins with

"I watched the u18 match today" or something similar.

Surely this is pretty redundant, I'd bloody well hope he watched the match. 

One of the minorest minor issues encounterable, but if we are striving for perfection it is my opinion that this could be improved to just something like "find attached my report" or hopefully something better.

Raise it here and we can look into it please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/518-other-gameplay-issues/

Thanks. 

Just a small observation. I noticed that NUFC still have as a philosophy signing young players. As far as I know Rafa Benitze changed that and brought about a new approach? Before the game goes full fat where would I approach SI to look into possibly changing that?

Cheers

For the player tactical familiarity, I see that some players learn the tactic faster while others are slower.

Does this depend on their personality as with other training, or does the game take into account the tactic they used to play? In my case since I started without transfer budgets, I have the starting squad but of course some signings are new for the team.

Having read through this thread, nobody seems to have encountered a work-permit issue that I'm having. I signed a Colombian player for Celtic and proceeded despite the fact he wasn't eligible for WP (due to his age/apps) but once he arrived, he exceeded the ability of both Griffiths and Dembélé so I proceeded to ask again for WP and it goes around in an endless loop, not ever getting a response back to me on WP and rather allowing me to request one every single day from his profile in order to try and force the WP through (one way or another). 

Is it me OR is this a known bug/would you like my save game?

1 minute ago, nathan7 said:

Having read through this thread, nobody seems to have encountered a work-permit issue that I'm having.

If someone did experience an issue, they probably reported it in the bugs forum.

Would be great if you can though.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/517-transfers-contracts-and-scouting-issues/

• SI Staff
12 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Ok. Thanks for replying, and I have no doubt you're right.
Can someone explain to me how it shows that. What does a dot represent? I'm near the bottom so don't think the black bar can mean i'm middle of table. 

Cougar - Ok I see black but not red but those black bars would indeed represent defeats. Not had any wins to witness representation there!

Hi Per Annum - I'm guessing you're playing a zoom level higher than 100%? There's currently an issue that we're well aware of with these in those zoom settings which results in it all looking black/grey. It should be much more obvious - green for a win, grey for a draw, red for a loss.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Upload your save though too.

How would I go about doing that? I set up my topic but couldn't work out how to upload my save! 

Edit: Got it! Cheers :thup:

Edited by nathan7

I'm liking the game so far. I'm mainly playing FMT and have had 2 saves so far. In both saves my game crashes in the 2nd or 3rd seasons, no crash dump, it just exits saying it's stopped working. Other than that i'm really happy so far.

How come chief doctors/doctors' profiles cannot be accessed?

For instance, Man Utd have Steve McNally and Tony Gill listed as doctors, who previously were listed as physios in other FM's. Their profiles used to be accessible, but no longer.

I'm also assuming doctors cannot be sacked/recruited and will be around forever?

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Getting like half a dozen free kicks just outside the box nearly every game, seems a little too many. 

Worth raising for our match engine team, ideally with some pkm examples of matches where you think it's been particularly bad - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Way too many fouls caused by players walking with the ball while opposition players snap at their heels.  Not a problem with the opposition but with the player keeping hold of the ball instead of passing it ( decision making problem? ).  Many times they just walk back towards their own area.  Worst one I have seen so far started with the player getting the ball about 25 yards out from opposition area, he then proceeded to walk back with the ball until he was roughly 35 yards from his own area and then passed it back to his own keeper.  There were other easy outs available all along his self inflicted hike.

Been playing for a few days and have found the 3d match engine to be much improved.

Wingers no longer get to the touchline only to dally, take 5 touches and lose the ball.

Lots of little things like that are improved, and it feels really fluid and smooth, congratulations to the makers!

One thing, I have seen quite often full backs failing to pass back to their goalkeeper in a straight line and the ball going out for a corner.

Is this due to league division one quality of players (ie low passing attribute) or due to a match engine issue?

OK - Set Piece creation

I never used this previously and just left stuff on default , but I honestly don't think I've had an attempt on goal from a corner this year so decided to try making a corner routine.

1, How do you save the routine so it can be loaded in other tactics , if I save it doesn't give the option to name the routine or save it to the set piece folder (it just overwrites Routine 1)

2, Is there really no mirror option to just copy the routine for both sides ?