Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

Anyway, I'm not sure if this a one off, a result of how the opposition set up or something a bit off. 

My current tactic has no basic emphasis on either flank or through the middle, however due to a scouting report, I noticed my next opponents were a bit weak down the left, so I decided to exploit the right flank to try and gain an advantage, as seen here...

sSsGyYc.png

We won the match 1-0 with a good display, just a bit wasteful up front. However the analyst's report after the game showed this as my focus of attack. 

8sJvNk6.png

Showing that 34% of the focus was down the LEFT wing. I then checked the analysis section and it was the same (thankfully that links up). I just found it a bit weird that after telling the players to focus attacks down the right, it was basically ignored. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

Just wanted to check with others: it seems that when my assman gives me views on set piece takers, it normally means that the set piece takers I have already set, appear to have been removed? Anyone else find this?

Edited by Kazza

11 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Anyway, I'm not sure if this a one off, a result of how the opposition set up or something a bit off. 

My current tactic has no basic emphasis on either flank or through the middle, however due to a scouting report, I noticed my next opponents were a bit weak down the left, so I decided to exploit the right flank to try and gain an advantage, as seen here...

sSsGyYc.png

We won the match 1-0 with a good display, just a bit wasteful up front. However the analyst's report after the game showed this as my focus of attack. 

8sJvNk6.png

Showing that 34% of the focus was down the LEFT wing. I then checked the analysis section and it was the same (thankfully that links up). I just found it a bit weird that after telling the players to focus attacks down the right, it was basically ignored. 

Well those players didnt decide to listen to the coach. Time to fine them :D  Nothing special going on? No playmaker on that left side or something? 

29 minutes ago, Wells said:

It is quite amazing to see some saying that they have had no crossing issue in FM 16... hmmmm they must have been playing a special FM16 than the normal then.. sorry had to say it.

I will still read this thread and look for anyone else reporting crossing issue before I get FM 17... that was gamebreaking for me last year and can't bear to take it again.

Yep I had a special version, assists coming from through the middle of the pitch.

If you havent got it, then you're not really leaving constructive FM17 feedback, are you?

1 minute ago, Double0Seven said:

Well those players didnt decide to listen to the coach. Time to fine them :D  Nothing special going on? No playmaker on that left side or something? 

I don't play with wingers, just wingbacks. Normally have them both on support duty, but changed my RWB to attack duty as well as focusing on that side of the pitch. Perhaps he just wasn't able to penetrate much. I did notice during the game my midfielders seemed to favour the left side despite my instructions. 

13 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

sSsGyYc.png

8sJvNk6.png

Would be really interesting to see what the opposition were doing down that flank. Did it simply become much easier for that flank to be attacked, or vice versa was your attack down the targeted flank ineffective. Not including any tactical set ups.

1 hour ago, Earnie is God! said:

I don't know Dave but just about everything he has posted is done so in a well-thought out manner and in a very balanced way. If some other people had said they never encountered crossing issues in FM16, I'd probably not believe them but when Dave says it I tend to think he's telling the truth.
My own experience, like a lot of others, is that the crossing issue came close to ruining FM16 for me but that doesn't mean I am going to instantly dismiss someone who has experienced otherwise.

It was never a binary experience, something many people didnt, and still don't seem to grasp. so many influential factors involved

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Would be really interesting to see what the opposition were doing down that flank. Did it simply become much easier for that flank to be attacked, or vice versa was your attack down the targeted flank ineffective. Not including any tactical set ups.

As luck would have it, due to a quirk in the fixture list, I'm playing the same opponents again in my next league game, so I got their report about how they lined up in the previous match. Interestingly, despite their pre match report saying they favoured attacks down the right, this was how they played against me

eJD1pqn.png

Edit - just noticed it says their focus of attack is right wing, but that's not borne out with the percentages. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

As luck would have it, due to a quirk in the fixture list, I'm playing the same opponents again in my next league game, so I got their report about how they lined up in the previous match. Interestingly, despite their pre match report saying they favoured attacks down the right, this was how they played against me

eJD1pqn.png

Interesting, so they attacked down the opposite flank to usual. In theory, should have left more space to counter in, but of course still many other variables. Worth the PKMs and the save going up in a thread Dave, just to check there is nothing off UI wise.

15 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

eJD1pqn.png

Edit - just noticed it says their focus of attack is right wing, but that's not borne out with the percentages. 

From one thing to another - How do you get that report screen? Do you need an analyst to get it?

Thought so. Had forgotten about that screen until i saw it now, and i was looking at the report screen in my game at the same time.
Hopefully i'll have an analyst in about 20 years that can please the lazy me :D
Cheers, Dave :thup:

48 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

eJD1pqn.png

Huh yeah, focus of attacks right wing but % is wrong. Worth a bug report. 

So, an update...

I've played multiple saves through a few weeks, and in my current save I'm up to January.

There's a bug in FMT, in that early highlights in the game are not shown, including early goals. I've mentioned this in the appropriate thread (with support from others) but no official response yet.

Also in FMT, there are regular AM reports about tactical familiarity even though tactical familiarity should not be an issue in FMT. In the same reports, we get a regular note that there is no recommended match training; again, there is no match training in FMT.

I'm not seeing the same kind of 'hit shot at straight at keeper' behaviour from strikers, although it does still crop up. Maybe a tactical issue?

I never saw the over-powered crossing issue that many highlighted in FM16; what I saw was central defenders unable to deal with a cross. In FM17 I'm seeing even fewer accurate crosses, but when those crosses come in, there still seems to be an issue with central defenders not reacting properly.

I am seeing an issue with attacking players hitting far too many shots from long range, even if I have individual players set to 'shoot less often' and the team set to 'work ball into box'. There appears to be a 'shoot on sight' emphasis regardless of tactical setup.

On the issues that seem to crop up with great regularity, I've not seen any real issue with injuries (even though in one save I had every one of six potential AMLs injured at the same time - just seemed like bad luck); difficulty seems about the same as FM16; and I've not noticed any difficulty with transfers, either in or out.

Basically, I'm very happy with the beta and just hoping that nothing radical will change with the full release. Some things might (emphasis: *might*) be improved on the final release, but FM17 looks pretty good to me. I've often thought that FM was a pretty good management simulator, but with questions about how well it simulated real football. With this version, I think it's still a great management simulator, but it also looks like a good football simulator, too. 

It might just be the level I'm playing at, but I've neither had a penalty awarded to me or one conceded all season long. I've also hardly had any yellow cards, never mind red ones. Very few players are booked in any game I play. 

I'm still seeing a bit too many highlights starting with a free kick just outside the box, similar to an early build of FM15's match engine- curiously though, when you go into the analysis at the end and click on free kicks, those ones are rarely shown. 

Again, this might be the level I'm at, but there seems to be a very high number of 'off target' shots than previous versions, both for and against me. 

Also, most goals seem to be from shots hit first time. I'd like to see more examples of players picking the ball up in the box, sidestepping an opponent and hitting it, or even picking it up with their back to goal, turning and hitting it. I know it's the Vanarama North I'm playing at,  but these types of goals still happen down there from time to time. 

The engine seems robust enough, but there's not the same variety for me so far compared to the last couple of versions. Early days though, sure it'll be tweaked in the right way. 

Gotta love again the injuries ! And I also gotta love the AI wanting to be relevant by giving itself loads of wins ! You may have implemented loads of new features : tactical level is going more and more down for your lovely AI ! Football Manager should be renamed as : when are you going to be sacked ! And I won't also speak about finances : it's disastrous : even tycoons  clubs can go bankrupted ! The match engine still is a nightmare and if you want to build a great career : you must be an expert at everything about the game otherwise you are screwed and you are prone to cheat to get some rewards : I freaking hate that and that's what I'm doing since years with loads of displeasure. Loads of red cards against the Human team also : Oh God ! I'm not an expert at tactics but some of things still are wrong with Football Manager ! 

Edited by Hingis

16 minutes ago, Hingis said:

Gotta love again the injuries ! And I also gotta love the AI wanting to be relevant by giving itself loads of wins ! You may have implemented loads of new features : tactical level is going more and more down for your lovely AI ! Football Manager should be renamed as : when are you going to be sacked ! And I won't also speak about finances : it's disastrous : even tycoons  clubs can go bankrupted ! The match engine still is a nightmare and if you want to build a great career : you must be an expert at everything about the game otherwise you are screwed and you are prone to cheat to get some rewards : I freaking hate that and that's what I'm doing since years with loads of displeasure. Loads of red cards against the Human team also : Oh God ! I'm not an expert at tactics but some of things still are wrong with Football Manager ! 

How is it possible to be so wrong so many times in the one paragraph? 

The game cannot distinguish between the AI and human controlled clubs, therefore it can't 'give itself loads of wins'.  If you're getting more red cards than the AI controlled sides..guess what? That's also your fault. It's also been confirmed injuries haven't been changed since the last game - where there also wasn't an issue. You also neither have to cheat nor be an expert to have success. You also have almost complete control over a club's finances (outwith merchandising, etc). And the match engine isn't a 'nightmare'. Other than that, spot on. :rolleyes:

All you've really done here is post an nonconstructive, tear stained rant possibly because you can't be bothered to actually learn the game.  If that's not the case, and you would appreciate some help, head over to the tactics forum where you'll get lots of great help on how to get better at it. 

are coaching stats supposed to stay the same after completing a coaching qualification? Several members of my staff as well as the manager have completed qualifications in the last month of my save, however none of their stats have improved, as they did in FM16. 

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

eJD1pqn.png

I've posted a similar one couple of days ago.

0.jpg

Edited by turgi

On 10/24/2016 at 22:50, TFDM said:

Has anyone seen defenders making a hash of simple back passes when under little to no pressure?

Granted I'm playing in a lower league but and I've played only a handful of games but seen it 3 or 4 times. Defenders trying to play the ball back to the keeper under no real pressure and sending it out for a corner.

This has been an issue for me also with LLM. Wasn't sure if my players were terrible or if it was a bug. 

Re: AI "giving itself wins", there's been users on the last pages showing how they put hundreds of hours into the game over the years and apparently never looked for advice how to make comebacks less likely to happen, of which so far there were several viable solutions (I almost killed them on FM 2016 by holding onto the ball to see out tight leads, which mostly worked despite the AI typically overloading both flanks when desperate late in a match, which was a vulnerable area on that iteration). Such users also seem to spread on other platforms that losses against out of form teams would be "scripted" (sigh). You can sympathize with the frustration, but it makes much of the feedback zero reliable, as out of that frustration they view the entire affair from warped angles and are stuck in that perspective -- and never ask themselves if they may be contributing. I'd rather want to pinpoint any such feedback to needed improvements in the AI role picks Miles talked about, and refinement in terms of in-match decision making. Which would make AI more robust (as would it make your own assistants too if you let them take over) -- which in my opinion was much needed, in particular the performance of top teams was all over the place for mostly (simple!) tactical reasons. That dreaded "scripted/undefendable" comeback thing goes all the way back to FM 1799, where AI used very simple presets, such as going global overload mentality and every single one of them switching to a 4-2-4 formation. The solution was basically card-board cutout, as every single AI did the exactly same thing when trying to get back into a tie, which is to simply keep your full backs at check. It was still considered a comeback bug. And as for scripted losses, there's a classic which still holds true whenever an upload is provided for others to have a look at (rather than yelling BUG and voting thumbs down for scripted!, it's tough to get accustomed to the idea that there may be better and worse players of the game, I too am under no illusion here, mind, there's always somebody out there who is loads better than you and has a far better idea how to go about things). It takes a special kind of hybris though to never tackle that state of mind for such a prolonged time though, which considering the hours everybody seems to put in, is quite frankly absurd. And helping hands always being but a couple sub forums and fellow FM players away.

Iain Macintosh (Football Manager stole his life, he says) recently had concluded an interview with  SI's Tom Davidson. I found this bit interesting, but if that were the case, this place would be rage quit central by now, wouldn't it? :D Most seem to do as fine as always, and some added frustration was always there with every upgrade. What's changed, no more attack duty on lone forwards in formations that are prone to isolate and a couple refinements which does make it more competitive? Better/more realistic reactions to events such as safe leads, like no more switches to attacking formation at HT when already 3-0 up, no more parking the bus and inviting all pressure in the second leg after winning the first leg in a cup tie, refined reactions to opponents being a man down? Is the quoted actually how SI see AI managers develop in the future or is it all a bit "spiced up" a bit to get people excited about the game and make them feel clever when they trump their AI rivals?

So I have to change tactics every game?

Not necessarily. But the higher up you go, the more you need to adapt. You can get away with it a bit more at a lower level, but you have to remember that the AI managers and scouts all have attributes too. They will be watching your team, assessing your tactics and pinpointing your weaknesses. They will be plotting your downfall, so you need to plot theirs.

I don’t like the idea that the AI managers are watching me.

Yes, we have some of the best managers in the world in the Premier League and that’s modelled int the game. They have abilities in the same way that players do. So you are going to have to go up against tough opposition.

Do AI managers use the feedback of their data analysts too? Because that's one area that could probably be linked to AI man (or player assistant manager) decision making and advice similar to the analysis when it picks up on key stuff. For the record, you've never needed to change your tactics every game, and similar did no AI manager ever crack, er, plot your downfall specifically, which was bad myth mods were fighting against throughout all the years as it fueled user frustration. Everybody seemed convinced the game were programmed to really do them in so that they'd lose out of the blue if too successfully or something. You could break the major tactical challenges mostly down to a couple of broad scenarios: the opponent on the overload/attack scenario and the dreaded and oft cursed opponent parks the bus scenario (to simplify). There is naturally more to it, and the AI dynamicism in general is something to be admired, like the general adapting to better or worse opponents, it all being visibly linked to edited traits, preferred roles, formations and more, but in the light of the above feedback,  it may seem a bit unfortunate that SI staff would tease the thought of an AI that would really be out to get players specifically, and if it may be but the wording.

I'd love to have such AI in the game though, in particular for the elite at the very top that indeed do some additionally homework to shift odds slightly in their favors! :D (And, yes you could do it in FM also, but you could also win your stuff by simpler means, not every manager in real football is a tinkerer of much of any kind, ask 'arry).

Edited by Svenc

9 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's always more common to be offered club jobs when you're unemployed as the club offering you the post won't have to pay any compensation. I imagine that would be quite high if you're under contract as England manager. 

You don't have a contract on international jobs. So I'm free to leave so there would be no compensation involved to get  me, so what youv'e said doesn't apply to international jobs.

Are anyone know, how Distance covered/90min is calculated? I think this is issue from FM16, because in league stats, players in table got over 14km/90min. And this is in mediocre league, players are with <10 Work rate and Stamina.

I'm enjoying FM17 so far. Have played Sim Mode and Touch. The whole 64 bit thing makes Sim Mode fly and it's less of a drag than before. However, bloated media stuff will always make me revert to Touch.

Playing as Santos with a bog standard 4-4-1-1 with no instructions of any sort, and we're playing lovely stuff. Goals are spread around nicely and I am scoring a few from crosses, but that's due to my attacking full back.

Injuries have been lower than I'd expect, with at most 2 injuries in my 26 man squad. And this is a country with LOTS of games. I like the ME improvements, haven't experienced any crashes or most of the (often subjective) issues reported in the ME bug forum, and so am optimistic for the coming updates to FM17.

41 minutes ago, rimisark said:

Are anyone know, how Distance covered/90min is calculated? I think this is issue from FM16, because in league stats, players in table got over 14km/90min. And this is in mediocre league, players are with <10 Work rate and Stamina.

Please post this in the relevant bug reporting section if you feel it's not right, and hopefully it can get looked at... this is a thread for general feedback.

12 hours ago, Viking said:

I'll try again: When do you guys get the transfer budget for your team in the english Championship? I'm pretty sure you got it at the same time as you got the Commersial summary in FM 16, but I don't get it until the very near of the start of the season in the FM 17 beta. Just want to make sure this is not a bug that I get because I start the game in March 2017.

Edit. Or maybe I get the transfer budget but not get notified? I'm confused.

If you think it's a bug .... post it in the bug reporting section please.

1 minute ago, cjb1986 said:

Has anyone started there Long term save yet? im debating weather or not to just get going. Dont want to start one a new one next friday

Yep,  no huge issues for me in starting one.. no crashes, no game breaking bugs and the ME is solid as it ever has been imo..  

You will get those who say otherwise and you will get those who agree, at the end of the day,the only way of judging is doing so for yourself.

I started a game with Sheffield Wednesday and after selling 6-7 players and buying 3-4 I am left with 90k free wage budget and 1 mil transfer.  

The board will not entertain budget requests at all even on deadline day.  I switched budgets quite a lot on FM16.  is this a bug?  What are everyone else's experiences with this?

Also I get 2 star graphics / computer performance with all the major leagues but in fm16 I get 5! I use a Mac 21inch (2011).  Is there a reason for such a large difference?

Apart from this I am massively impressed so far.

Can anyone advise please?

Great to see someone reportig the heat map/focus of attack problems. I was playing against Plymouth wide 4231 and they had their right winger sent off early in the game and did not change their formation. I decided to exploit this by attacking left flank. From what I rememeber end game heat map and information about focus of attacks showed thar we were attacking left flank 14% and right 44%...opposite to what I wanted and set up. Imagine what was my surprise to see that Plymouths was attacking more by right side...nonsense.  

I was the one who stopped playing FM2016 because of those ridiculous crosses and boring goal patterns. I'm very happy to say that rignt now on FM 2017 it's not the case, goals variety is nice and crosses seems to be about normal. 

The other thing that I noticed are through balls, they are way to effective, especially when combined with two strikers formation. It doesnt matter how deep side will defend through balls goals will come. In fact right now I'm exploiting this heavy and it feels really cheap. Anyone else have thesame observations or it's just me ? 

Edited by mortiscausa

58 minutes ago, cjb1986 said:

Has anyone started there Long term save yet? im debating weather or not to just get going. Dont want to start one a new one next friday

The only reason I haven't is that I'm waiting to use an edited lower league file and that requires the editor, released with the full game on Nov 4th. As far as I'm concerned the beta is very stable and playable and good enough to start a long career from now.

6 minutes ago, mahanhz said:

During the match in the team ratings screen when a substitute is made, how does one get the substitute to take the place of the player substituted thus avoiding having to scroll down?

This is a known issue, so being looked at.

10 hours ago, Hingis said:

If you knew about Nottingham Forest then you would see that this is normal. Tycoon owner who broke the FFP rules and took us into a transfer embargo. Several winding up orders form the courts for unpaid bills. Sacks managers for fun. Consent long term injuries (inc to the same players).  4 red cards already this season. 

In fact I can think of many clubs in the same mess in real life. Tycoon owners are highly likely to screw up IRL. I'd like FM to pick up on this more, and even prevent you from changing some of the staff roles. Such as setting the DoF responsibilities for you, so you cant be in sole charge of transfers or hiring backroom staff... there should be an option to play with this enabled or not for added realism 

On 24/10/2016 at 19:41, treble_yell_:-) said:

Asking again - Does anyone know if there is any way to share graphics folders between FMT and Full Fat this year with them being separate apps ?

In steam right click on FM Touch the click Properties -- Set launch options 

In the Dialog box you need to point it towards your Full fat FM folder like this:-

--user_data_location="C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017"

Seems to be working well for me

Edited by bennytee

one thing I've never understood with all versions of fm is the ratings of young players. The ratings are always really low even 5 star potential players, if you rated giggs at a young age his dribbling would have been really high and flair and pace, its the other stats he would grow as he gets older. Owen could finish fantastically at 15 and had pace to burn, they need to rethink this for future versions I think

13 hours ago, Kazza said:

HI

Just wanted to check with others: it seems that when my assman gives me views on set piece takers, it normally means that the set piece takers I have already set, appear to have been removed? Anyone else find this?

Does no one have this issue?

Edited by Kazza

45 minutes ago, Carninho said:

If you knew about Nottingham Forest then you would see that this is normal. Tycoon owner who broke the FFP rules and took us into a transfer embargo. Several winding up orders form the courts for unpaid bills. Sacks managers for fun. Consent long term injuries (inc to the same players).  4 red cards already this season. 

In fact I can think of many clubs in the same mess in real life. Tycoon owners are highly likely to screw up IRL. I'd like FM to pick up on this more, and even prevent you from changing some of the staff roles. Such as setting the DoF responsibilities for you, so you cant be in sole charge of transfers or hiring backroom staff... there should be an option to play with this enabled or not for added realism 

Completely agree. Being in our position and supporting our club, there are many things I'd like to be replicated in FM so I can go through that experience or see it played out at different clubs.

2 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

I'm finding occasionally agents take me to the pre contract offer promises screen but have no promises demanded. 

I'd also like a quicker exit from promises than the blank screen, I. E. Back to inbox if that's where I came from

You sure it's not just the squad status they're demanding?  I get that sometimes.

I started a game with Sheffield Wednesday and after selling 6-7 players and buying 3-4 I am left with 90k free wage budget and 1 mil transfer.  

The board will not entertain budget requests at all even on deadline day.  I switched budgets quite a lot on FM16.  is this a bug?  What are everyone else's experiences with this?

Also I get 2 star graphics / computer performance with all the major leagues but in fm16 I get 5! I use a Mac 21inch (2011).  Is there a reason for such a large difference?

Sorry for the bold but its the fourth time of posting this and no one has come back to me yet.  Can anyone help?

7 minutes ago, Simonaghan79 said:

Sorry for the bold but its the fourth time of posting this and no one has come back to me yet.  Can anyone help?

Might need to post it in the Bug forums and upload a save for them to take a look at it to see if anything is wrong. Does seem strange that you cannot amend the budgets though. When you say the board won't entertain, do you mean you request it but they refuse or there is simply no option to request?

With the performance stars, it judges it on the current environment when you load the game so if you have multiple processes running in the background you could find that it affects what star it will give you. Do you notice any difference in speed at all?

So far I have had no issues re Making Budget Adjustments or Board's Requests. i suspect that they will be an underlining reason why they will not let make the adjustment , though unhelpful unless they tell you why ?

Not sure about the 2 star graphics, I get good stars on my PC and poor ones on my laptop. This happened with FM16 as well. I am not convinced that this is optimised correctly as others have had similar experiences.