[Suggestion] Apply update in closed season

rp1966

Normally there are a number of game updates between the initial release and the January transfer update (after which most people will start a new save).

While we are told that any changes introduced in an update are transparent, changes in the match engine can take time to adapt to tactically and I also think that there is something that gets reset, maybe relating to a team's morale or momentum when the update is applied (this latter impression may just be a function of the first).

The point being that although the update is applied transparently in technical terms, in game terms it can affect the way your team is playing for a number of games after each update - this is obviously a problem during the season, especially if you are in a tight promotion or relegation battle where consistency is needed to get the outcome your team needs.

I suggest that there is an option to apply updates in the closed season, particularly for ME updates.  That way you will have a bunch of friendlies to adapt to whatever changes the update has brought and an ongoing campaign will be unaffected by ME changes. 

I suppose that's a work around, but wouldn't that affect other games in Steam (I know ... what games exist other than FM?!!). Or is it a game-by-game option?

I was thinking more of something on the startup screen - 'FM has been updated. Apply now or Apply at end of current season'. Still forces the update, but allows the risk of changes to gameplay to be better managed.

I think that would be difficult to implement. There is another (unsupported) work-around. Copy the FM folder before you make the update. It's possible to play the older version, when you open it with double click and not through steam. When you at the end of the season, delete this older version.

• 1 month later...

Archived