BRING BACK: Manager Photo Feature - The Campaign

161 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of face would you prefer to use for your manager?

• 3D Generated Avatar (New)
    • Upload Your Own Photo (Old)

First of all, before I get shot down and labelled a 'moaning minnie', the work Sports Interactive have done on FM17 and all previous titles is absolutely superb. Football Manager is the greatest game around for fans of the game and that will never change. I've been an avid player since the 'Championship Manager 3' days. Overall, well done and many thanks for delivering FM to us.

However, many users will realise in FM17 this year, that a feature which has been present in the game for sometime has disappeared altogether; the ability to upload a photograph for your own in-game manager. The reason? To make way for the new 3D generated avatar.

Now, we've all formed our own opinions on the 3D avatar. Some claim it does not generate an image anything like themselves, where as in this case, I would suggest trying to upload an alternative picture to be used. In my experience, the generator did produce a face which resembled myself to a degree, the problem though... it wasn't me.

Nothing can illustrate a person better in the game than an actual photograph. The 3D avatar is a virtually a cartoon. Yes, regen players/staff will have faces in a similar style, but what about the thousands of real players, staff, match officials etc, who are in the game? Everyone plays the game differently, but adding fan-made graphics to the game is a ritual done by a majority of users. In particular, the 'cut-out faces' megapack contains over 170,000 images of real people in football and they're all laughing at our strange animated face.

The purpose of the 3D avatar is questionable, but I'm not calling for it to be dropped. I'm sure there are some people who enjoy restoring hair to their heads, or giving themselves that sun-tan they've always desired. Although, SI should be playing fair and giving the user an option. There was no warning that the manager photo upload feature was being dropped and I think it has surprised many. As small a feature as this might seem, the disappointment expressed by fans on these forums shows how important to the game this was. To see an actual picture of yourself in the game, really makes you feel apart of it. "You have to enjoy the little things".

Therefore, I urge SI to bring this feature back to FM17, as soon as possible. Obviously, the whole team are very busy during the official release period, but with bugs looking relatively minor this year, any sort of workaround to get our manager photo back in the game would be incredibly appreciated.

I thought this topic could be used not to criticise, but to simply show SI how much fans miss having this feature in the game.

Manager.jpg

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I must admit, I actually liked the FM16 3D-sculpting more, and ended up results that looked much more like (i) me and (ii) a real human being

You can still do that, you don't have to import an image when creating a manager. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Post it in the features forum and it'll be looked at for a future version. If you think it's a bug, raise it on the UI Bugs forum. Thanks. 

The point of this topic is that fans want this feature reinstated now. Not just to hope that it comes back for FM18.

Sorry for my English...
I'm crazy for this problem, I don't know how's possible to make this huge mistake.

I was searching for solve this problem from 10 hours, and now I have found this thread...
It's incredible, why SI don't want our photos?

I'm crying!!!!!!!

I think it's a shame that there isn't a choice.  I rarely upload mega face packs but did this year and the only person in game that doesn't have a photo is me!!  I wonder if this is the start of a move to eradicating totally options to use third party graphics and that IMO would be a massive mistake.  I know Neil says post it in the features forum but I can't really think of too many fan ideas that make it into FM.  I may be wrong but I think history suggests that popular features once taken out rarely if at all make a come back.  It would be nice though to get an official reason why this has been taken out though because I can't see the logic in denying people a choice. 

This is the idea behind this topic/campaign.

I don't want this to turn into people bashing SI when they have done another superb job this year, but some constructive criticism and comments of disappointment about this missing feature may hopefully highlight how important this feature is to FM.

I could partly understand its inclusion if all players, staff and managers in the game were represented by a 3d image but they aren't.  I could also understand it if the 3d representations were good,.   But at the very least if there was an official explanation as to why it has been removed or not given as an option that would hopefully allow us to understand why such a long term feature has been done away with.  Is it to pave the way to render all third party graphics obsolete in the next version or two? 

7 hours ago, tolsvik said:

Bring it back! I can't use the cut-out image of myself, that perfectly blends with the facepack I downloaded. The other managers laugh at me.

They laugh at you?!  The only photo I have is the perfect tracksuit manager photo complete with baseball cap and shades, let's say Tony Pullis is the sun, and yet it should be auditioning for Shaun of the Dead!!  If the photo isn't coming back is there just a way to not use the generator full stop and just have a grey outline for my manager?

FACE.png

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 19:51, Sussex Hammer said:

I wouldn't mind the avatar so much if it actually looked like me.  So have now disabled it as I actually prefer a grey shadow.  Such a shame there isn't a choice to use either.

Could you let me know how you managed to disable this feature?

17 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Go to preferences, then click interface and on the right under player screen untick "show pictures of players and staff generated by the game".

Of course, so obvious. Thanks bud.

17 hours ago, McClane29 said:

I take it nothing further has been said regarding SI reinstating this feature to the game via a patch, or a workaround?

I've been holding off starting a career in hope that this will be resolved.

your holding off a game for a ingame feature thats purely cosmetic purpose, strange boy....

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

There are no plans to add this functionality at this time, but if it's been added to the features forum it'll be considered for a future version. Thanks. 

I think we need at least a choice....

Anyway, thank you very much for this answer. :-)

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

There are no plans to add this functionality at this time, but if it's been added to the features forum it'll be considered for a future version. Thanks. 

Thanks for the reply Neil but may I just ask what the reasoning is as to why the option of using a photo has been left out this year? 

On 07/11/2016 at 01:12, themadsheep2001 said:

Can people please not jump to wild conclusions. it's been put into the features list and it will be considered 

Many requests have been made previously that get overlooked 

Yet this gets brought in

When was it requested?

11 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

Many requests have been made previously that get overlooked 

Yet this gets brought in

When was it requested?

It doesn't have to be requested to be brought in. SI have their own vision for the series going forward too.

Perhaps there in lies an issue, Hunt3r.  FM would be nothing without us and it wouldn't have got to the stage it has without us either.  It matters very little what Si's vision for the game is, if it doesn't match the preferences of the customer then it will soon fall by the wayside.

The biggest bonus for Sigames (and I'm not being critical as it's a good game) is that there is zero competition and so like the WWE, it's essentially telling it's loyal fan base who actually make the game what it is to go screw themselves.  Until November where you can pay to play our demo and see if you like it.  I've been a huge supporter of Sigames for many years but it hasn't gone unnoticed that the more professional they've become the less concerned about their fanbase they are.  Thankfully the real makers of the game, the people in the editors section, they go all out to improve the game considerably more than Si have.

17 minutes ago, mrtrwsmiff said:

Perhaps there in lies an issue, Hunt3r.  FM would be nothing without us and it wouldn't have got to the stage it has without us either.  It matters very little what Si's vision for the game is, if it doesn't match the preferences of the customer then it will soon fall by the wayside.

The biggest bonus for Sigames (and I'm not being critical as it's a good game) is that there is zero competition and so like the WWE, it's essentially telling it's loyal fan base who actually make the game what it is to go screw themselves.  Until November where you can pay to play our demo and see if you like it.  I've been a huge supporter of Sigames for many years but it hasn't gone unnoticed that the more professional they've become the less concerned about their fanbase they are.  Thankfully the real makers of the game, the people in the editors section, they go all out to improve the game considerably more than Si have.

On the contrary it very much matters. They set the road map for years, and many of their Ideas are their own. 

The idea that they cant design their own game is nonsense, and since we are entering the point where people are simply having a dig at their professionalism, and Neil has answered, I'm closing it.

Archived