Hello everybody,

I do not know if I am posting this in the correct place - let me know if I am not.

I have started a FM17 game with Wrexham and need tips and advice.   I wanted to take charge of a North Wales Club and had thought of creating my own club on Anglesey as there are none of note in a high league.  However I decided, for now, to keep it authentic (I may make an Anglesey Club in the future).  I was looking at Bangor City but from FM16 I learned that the Welsh league is fine as a challenge to make a Welsh League Club actually strong enough to qualify for the Champions League group stages, but is really difficult. The league itself is a challenge but you start craving more.  AND SO I went for Wrexham, a North Wales Club with a lot of history and rivalries and also in the English league system. The long term goal is obvious - get to the Premiership! This post is to ask for help and tips/hints on progressing to that goal.

I have just finished my first season and managed to get to the English FA Trophy Cup for the league and also WON the Vanarama National on the last day of the season after 1) an incredible run of 23 games unbeaten (many last minute goals to earn draws, and a total of 30 games unbeaten with the Cup games), and    ....  2) a catastrophic collapse by Lincoln in the last three months of the season.    Before that run I was just inside the playoff places.

I have bought players in and later thought they were not as good as I thought, and everything is rosy except for my handling of Club finances with has the board confidence in that at 36% approximately.  The club is making losses because of the spending on players and in an attempt to address this I sold the clause I had for Swansea's Neil Taylor.  We had a 10% sell on fee but with his value at £7.4million and with Wrexham needing money I sold the clause to receive approximately £650,000.  

SO, now I am in pre season before the Sky Bet League 2 starts, and I need advice on which tactics to use to get into promotion places, how to handle my finances, where to find players of quality to help me gain promotion and any other help you can think of.  Much appreciated - thanks guys! 

This forum can help you with the tactics part- the rest of it is for elsewhere (good player forum, general discussion etc.). For tactical advice, however, please see the stickied post on asking for help, and provide the most information that you can about your setup and your ideas about how you want to play and how you expect to have to play. Welcome to the forum!

I regularly play as Wrexham. The problems that confront you are fairly common. They have a good history and decent facilities, but it's easy to fall into money problems if you aren't careful. Also, given the accuracy of the FM database, your performance, at least early on, is affected by the quality of the actual Wrexham players. In short, playing as Wrexham is pretty much like playing any other Lower League team, although the facilities being good for that level is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the second season and incredibly got promoted as the third placed team in the league.  Beat Plymouth Argyle the fourth from last game of the season and managed to get enough points in the remaining three games (including an incredible end of season game comeback to win with 5 goals scored) to get promotion. Plymouth won the playoffs so they got promoted as well and also have been looking good in the pre season with their recruitment of players.

Thats what I now need advice on. I made a bid for a player and couldnt get the club to agree terms at all, Plymouth signed him for far less. How?

Also - need advice on my finances - I need players but am struggling financially. Anyone with any tips?

If I dont sign quality players this pre-season I think I will massively struggle this season in Sky Bet League 1.   Need quality so I can get the third promotion in a row! DREAMLAND!! lol

4 hours ago, Caradog Owen said:

Finished the second season and incredibly got promoted as the third placed team in the league.  Beat Plymouth Argyle the fourth from last game of the season and managed to get enough points in the remaining three games (including an incredible end of season game comeback to win with 5 goals scored) to get promotion. Plymouth won the playoffs so they got promoted as well and also have been looking good in the pre season with their recruitment of players.

Thats what I now need advice on. I made a bid for a player and couldnt get the club to agree terms at all, Plymouth signed him for far less. How?

Also - need advice on my finances - I need players but am struggling financially. Anyone with any tips?

If I dont sign quality players this pre-season I think I will massively struggle this season in Sky Bet League 1.   Need quality so I can get the third promotion in a row! DREAMLAND!! lol

Those questions should be addressed in the Good Player Guide or General Discussion areas of the forum.

Archived