Wrexham - lower league journey

Caradog Owen

Hello everybody,

I do not know if I am posting this in the correct place - let me know if I am not. I've already posted in another part of the forums.

I have started a FM17 game with Wrexham and need tips and advice.   I wanted to take charge of a North Wales Club and had thought of creating my own club on Anglesey as there are none of note in a high league.  However I decided, for now, to keep it authentic (I may make an Anglesey Club in the future).  I was looking at Bangor City but from FM16 I learned that the Welsh league is fine as a challenge to make a Welsh League Club actually strong enough to qualify for the Champions League group stages, but is really difficult. The league itself is a challenge but you start craving more.  AND SO I went for Wrexham, a North Wales Club with a lot of history and rivalries and also in the English league system. The long term goal is obvious - get to the Premiership! This post is to ask for help and tips/hints on progressing to that goal.

I have just finished my first season and managed to get to the English FA Trophy Cup for the league and also WON the Vanarama National on the last day of the season after 1) an incredible run of 23 games unbeaten (many last minute goals to earn draws, and a total of 30 games unbeaten with the Cup games), and    ....  2) a catastrophic collapse by Lincoln in the last three months of the season.    Before that run I was just inside the playoff places.

I have bought players in and later thought they were not as good as I thought, and everything is rosy except for my handling of Club finances with has the board confidence in that at 36% approximately.  The club is making losses because of the spending on players and in an attempt to address this I sold the clause I had for Swansea's Neil Taylor.  We had a 10% sell on fee but with his value at £7.4million and with Wrexham needing money I sold the clause to receive approximately £650,000.  

SO, now I am in pre season before the Sky Bet League 2 starts, and I need advice on which tactics to use to get into promotion places, how to handle my finances, where to find players of quality to help me gain promotion and any other help you can think of.  Much appreciated - thanks guys! 

Archived