Came back to the game after three years; really rather disappointed to see some glaring problems still there

The previous version of the game I played was FM2014, and now I decided to return. I have to say I'm really rather disappointed to see my two main gripes with the match engine still in evidence, constantly. Here they are:

1) It's a corner situation. The ball is cleared towards the touchline. One of my players is perfectly positioned to stop the ball and continue our attack - he is, in fact, perfectly positioned to whip in a cross to keep the pressure on. But what does he do? He lets the ball run out for a throw-in, thus allowing the opponent to re-group and re-establish their defense. Why does he do that? No real footballer would be that stupid. This is particularly idiotic if I'm chasing the game and I really need a goal. Even in these situations, the players do it.

2) Because of a set-play or some other unusual situation, one of my wingers (i.e. either AML or AMR) has found himself on the opposite side of the pitch from where he normally is. He fights the ball with a player from the opposing side. So far so good. But here's the killer: he loses the ball. Okay, that can happen. But what does my winger do next? Look at him carefully. What does he do? Well, you guessed it: he instantly starts running towards his side of the pitch (from R to L or from L to R), doesn't give a damn about winning the ball back, applying pressure or doing anything except returning to his "proper" position on the pitch. Every now and then, this is actually quite hilarious: most of the players on the pitch are involved in vertical movement (i.e. towards goal), because my opponent has started a counter-attack. But this one player only cares about *horizontal* movement, getting back to his side of the pitch. Only when gets there does he pay any attention to anything else that's going on.

In the previous match I played, I saw #1 twice and #2 once. It's much too much.

6 hours ago, Sir Alex FM said:

These two things frustrates me so much but mods here will only ask for .pkms and tell you SI are looking into it... so you better start saving money for when you break your monitor after conceding like this in an important game :) 

We say that because it would help and SI are doing that. I'd suggest you drop your entire attitude about mods and do it quickly.

8 hours ago, Sir Alex FM said:

These two things frustrates me so much but mods here will only ask for .pkms and tell you SI are looking into it... so you better start saving money for when you break your monitor after conceding like this in an important game :) 

Hey, it's a game. Take it easy.

Incidentally, I just had my assistant manager give me two tactical tips during a match, both at 11 minutes in. They were:

"I think we should encourage our players to try a short passing game."

"I think we should encourage our players to try more long balls forward."

Is this supposed to make sense?

The wording of the suggestions may not be 100% accurate.

10 hours ago, Sir Alex FM said:

What exactly are the mods on here meant to do? In case you hadn't noticed, they aren't involved with the game, they are simply moderators for an online forum about the game. It's not like the mods themselves can do anything to fix problems with FM, so obviously all they can do is tell you to upload a .pkm to show the issue. As for your insinuation that SI aren't actually doing anything about it, don't be so daft. Of course problems with the current game are worked on after release, but the fact of the matter is that they are a relatively small team who are under pressure to get a new game out each year and after release their resources have to be shifted to working on the next game relatively quickly, so relatively minor problems like this obviously get put on the back burner.

Regarding the corner thing, when defending corners I usually leave a midfielder or two up top and have my attackers in non marking defensive positions so that if we break on them the midfielders you have left up front are joined by the attackers trying to get to the correct place on the pitch

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Hey, it's a game. Take it easy.

Incidentally, I just had my assistant manager give me two tactical tips during a match, both at 11 minutes in. They were:

"I think we should encourage our players to try a short passing game."

"I think we should encourage our players to try more long balls forward."

Is this supposed to make sense?

The wording of the suggestions may not be 100% accurate.

Thats the problem with assistant advice.

I agree that its the right way to feed information to the user but the issue atm is that the the AI isn't intelligent enough to give good advice.

All it can do at present is look at the stats of the match and give fixed advice for trigger points.

In your case I suspect its telling you the following:

A) Short passing game - You probably have low pass completion.

B) long balls forward - This is either something to do with you struggling in midfield (Opposition numbers or lost possession) or something to do with your AMs/forwards being better than the opposition defence in some way.

Archived