One Long Ball

Hi 

Just wondering if someone could have a look at the below set up and help me - I keep conceding goals with a long ball over the top of my two centre backs or from crosses when my fullbacks get caught out of position

I play a 4-2-3-1 Wide - Standard with flexible shape

GK - Defend 
DL - Full Back Attack
CD- Defend 
CD- Defend 
RB - Full back Support 
MCL - DLP Support 
MCR - BWM - Defend 
AML - Winger Support
AMC - Attack Midfield Support
AMR - Winger Attack
STR - Poacher Attack

Team Instructions - 

Closing Down Much More 
Work Ball Into Box
Normal Tempo - Default
Normal Defensive Line - Default
Mixed Passing - Default 

Thanks in advance 

11 minutes ago, Godfarmer said:

'Closing down much more'

everyone will be coming at the ball, also the ball winning mid will be chasing all over to get the ball. 

Better to try less team closing down and set player instructions, apart from on CDs and CDM

What player instructions would you recommend ??

8 minutes ago, brfcboy said:

What player instructions would you recommend ??

Sorry, I didn't make this clear. I mean that i find it better to close with specific players than full team

just relating to closing down player instructions I have full backs, mids who aren't holding mids, and forwards. Basically anyone who you don't want holding a position. This tightened my defence. 

Other player instructions are as you please as long as they don't counter act 

I play the same system. Have both centre backs as CD(d) and my rightback on FB(a). I felt I was 2 exposed having 2 attacking fullbacks though so my left back is DFB. 

My 2 midfield slots are a CM(d) to cover the side of my attacking fullback as he holds his position well. The other is a BBM. 

I have closing down less selected as I found if I closed down more everyone was out of position. And also a deep defensive line as my centre backs aren't particularly quick 

Close down More is fine.... Id just ask the CBS to Close down Less so they keep shape. 

As for long ball issues. You're on standard and everyone is pushing up to close down... so you need to push your Defensive Line up one notch. If you used control instead of Standard you wouldn't need to push it up since Control mentality uses higher defensive line by default. 

Also never use a BWM in midfield as the others mentioned. Use CM D with DLP S or CM S with DLP D. In a 4231 or 4411 you need the two mids to be static, not running everywhere. 

Obviously not an absolute but I find close down 'much more' only works well when you make the gaps between the lines smaller, i.e. pushing up your defence so the closing down area is much smaller

It is something I have recently amended on my own tactic as I like a normal defensive line but found the opposition had to much space to play in meaning the closing down was not only ineffective but left me open to balls down the side and over the top.  I amended closing down to normal and it has been much better as I keep my shape.

Balls over the top or down the sides do still happen but the amount of times has lessened and I am set up better when they do occur  

Archived