[FM17] Failed Youth Only come Journeyman Save

RSJ

Hi guys and welcome to me latest save. My threads, on here to date, have only ever really been based on Derby County (FM16) and Blackpool (FM17 Beta) - neither of which ever really took off. A reason for this? I dont think they were exciting enough for people to be following regularly. Im very much a lurker on here, i visit everyday and read various threads but dont contribute much (another reason my threads may have never took off) - that said, theres a few threads which have very much inspired my latest idea.

I've decided to challenge myself and will be attempting to do a Youth Academy save. I wont be posting in the challenges area, i just want to keep everyone here up to date really. So without further ado, may i introduce my new club...

5cea1256e7.jpg

...to be continued.

Game: Football Manger 2017 (17.1.2)

Database Size: Large

League Loaded:

• England (English Regional First Divisions and above)
  • France (View Only)
  • Spain (View Only)
  • Scotland (View Only)
  • Italy (View Only)
  • Germany (View Only)

Previous Experience: Sunday morning football (literally) with NO licenses 

For the purposes of this save, i have used the 'Create-A-Club' feature and taken over/replaced Warrington Town

63878332b9.jpg

Alvo Athletic FC (Est. 2016)

An introduction...

Club Profile | Facilities |Finances

In real life...

Alvo, or Alvaston is located in Derby and is the place where myself and at least one other member of this forum grew up. I decided to form the club as i find it really hard to 'fall in love' with clubs that aren't my beloved Derby County, my hope is that with something so close to home, it can grow into a single save project that i learn to love. 

The clubs colours come, obviously, from me following Derby but the red trim is a nod toward my friend...lets call him PR for now ;)

In FM life...(which is real, right?!)

Local entrepreneur Tony Macormac is tired of the growing financial prowess that has taken over the footballing world, coupled with a disastrous Euro 2016 campaign for England has decided to do something about it. He forms a club, buying out and effectively relocating a soon to be defunked Warrington Town.

With his rather different philosophy of not buying players but relying on the clubs youth academy added to the fact the club is in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier there were next to no candidates for the managers position. Step forward local lad, Rich Julian. Macormac has no option but to employ the inexperienced and license-less rookie.

Save Rules

• Sign no-one
  • Rely solely on academy players
  • NO DOWLOADED TACTICS (i always use downloaded tactics :/)

Save Ambitions (in no particular order) 

• Get the Club to the Football League
  • Produce a England International
  • Have 5 (or more) players feature at a International Tournament
  • Win Premier League
  • Surpass Derby County and become the biggest team in the East Mids (:D)
  • Win Champions League
  • Not get sacked!

63878332b9.jpg

Alvo Athletic FC (Est. 2016)

Season Preview 2016/17...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

League Expectation: Evo-Stik Northern Premier - Reach Promotion Play-Off (Board) / 22nd Place (Media Prediction)

Cup Expectation(s): FA Cup - Reach Third Qualifying Round / Northern League Cup - Reach The Semi-Final

Transfer Budget: £75,596

Wage Budget: £2,767 p/w (currently spending £1,500 p/w)

Season Tickets Sold: 105

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Managers Thoughts...

Top 2 will go up automatically, leaving 3rd-6th to battle it out in the play-offs. I'm not sure right now what i expect. I will attempt to put some (if not all) of the transfer budget in the wage budget to allow me to retain players at the end of their contracts. I think this season will almost be one of consolidation; key areas to work on will be staff, training, tactics and establishing a starting XI. 

Squad Review...

As this save has been created using the 'Create-A-Club' feature, i took over Warrington Town. I have removed any player over the age of 25 to ensure i had a core of a squad to work with - in order to 'pad' the squad out, i added free agents aged between 16 and 19 and i only used the ones from the top of the filter - i didn't look at their stats - it was purely based on their position and age.

Main Squad

U23's

U18's

Any greyed out player will not be added to the game. 

The main squad is lacking in depth - Coombs, Hajgato, Harries & Askew will be moved into the main squad straight away. Everyone from the U18's squad, has been moved into the U23's. Right now, im unsure as to whether this is a good idea or not - theres only one way to find out haha. 

Thats the thread now fully updated - time to start playing!

Im an avid FM(CM) fan but only now am i really starting to take notice of the depth of the game. I will be trying my best with both tactics and training with the latter being a fundamental part of the save. Also, i have never, ever attempted a save quite like this. I know this will push me to my absolute limit but im determined to have a good crack at it - equally im desperate to become a decent member of this community. 

I welcome any interaction of any kind :)

I'll go with monthly updates to start of with and see how they fair.

UP THE ALVO!

27 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

I would say good luck, but I'm not sure I want to after what Derby just did to us :( 

Haha - we needed that, especially after that 3-3 that you liked to promote in your thread ;)

But in all seriousness, thank you - i appreciate you commenting on the thread

Back room staff strengthened...

Been a little bit busy bringing in a few extra members of staff in..we now have a new Assistant Manager HoYDHead Physio and a Physio.

I quite like the look of my new assistant, Shaun - id like hime to stick around for as much of this journey as possible.

Im now pretty much at capacity regarding staff and, currently, i wont be allowed to bring anyone else onboard.

Tactic time...

Ive opted to go with a simple and rigid 4-4-2.

66d179f7ce.png

RM is the real worry - Fraser is a AMR but im retraining him to play a more basic RM - im also considering playing him AMR but worried this may effect my balance?

Heres what i consider to be my best XI - its using a really nice mix of a few of the WTFC players left behind and the youngsters at the club. I have left out a 4,5 starred striker in favour of playing and developing Matthew Mattis.

6d37c0a342.png

And finally, here are my current team instructions - please feel free to comment on anything you have seen but be kind! ;)

346190c484.png

Monthly Update - August 2016...

fa13dadbbc.png

a2d87493ac.png

A baptism of fire! The first 3 games of the season, we were just battered off the park. The game against Sutton Coldfield was a bitter pill to swallow. We took the lead, only to have a man sent of around 75' - the inevitable then happened as we conceded on 85' and 89'. I was gutted.

Stafford next up, we take the lead (again) only to then find ourselves 2-1 down. A last minute goal saw us claim out only point of the month :/

We had to end the month by entertaining top of the league Buxton. We (again!) took the lead, had a man sent off and collapsed! The scoreline not giving a true reflection of the match.

All in all, i'm gutted but will keep going. We initially struggled with fitness/match sharpness but that has got better over the month. We haven't got a very good selection of keepers at all.

That elusive (and historic) first win seems a million miles away! We will press on though.

If anyone has any tactical advice, especially where LLM is concerned then please shout up - any help will be invaluable.

Just now, LUFCspeni said:

I'll be following this, I don't live too far from Alvaston :cool:

I saw your comment in my Mickleover thread but I messed up with the file :D

Whereabouts are you?

Just now, RSJ said:

I saw your comment in my Mickleover thread but I messed up with the file :D

Whereabouts are you?

Ah you're the same person! Without giving too much away, I'm city centre side reasonably near the hospital. I have a few mates in Alvaston so I vaguely know the area.

Good to see this up and running :thup: and good luck with such a tough challenge!

A tricky start to life at AAFC but it's still early days with plenty of time left to turn it around.  Not that I'm an expert on LLM or anything but the one thing that I've found that works for me is keeping it as simple as possible - re : tactics, formations etc.  The 4-4-2 that that you've gone with seems rigid and simple enough for that level and the players at that level.  It's tough because it's a youth challenge but at that level, all you need are 3 or 4 players that are leading players at that level and promotion is never too far away.

EDIT: Also, forgot to add, I feel a little honoured that you've incorporated the red trim into the AAFC badge...I know how hard that must've been for you!!! :D

New tactics...

4-4-2 and Team Instructions

Intention is to use this as my start off tactic. The 2x CMs are 2 of the 3 best players at the club so the tactic is supposed to be built around them. The FB's are the worst players on the team by far.

This is only made worse when i want to attempt to see a game out (props to @Jupjamie for the inspiration) and i adopt this

5-3-2 (Deep DM) and Team Instructions 

Last but not least, ive got a 

4-1-2-1-2 and Team Instructions

I quite like the look of this one, it means i can not worry to much about the lack of decent wide players at the club and also gives game time to Askew and Hajgato who both have nice potential.

Ive sat here for about 4 hours working on all this...time to put it to the test. Im not expecting instant results but id love to leave these 3 set until the end of the season at least.

As always, any feedback welcomed.

NOTE: In game date that new tactics were implemented Sat 10 Sept 2016

*sighs*

Monthly Update - September 2016...

a0e3e7f12b.png

9ef814bfd1.png

4x League games, 3x Cup games and ZERO wins.

I changed tactic on the 10th and thought we were starting to make a bit of progress. Not a chance. A mix of poor quality, injuries and silly red card means we look firmly planted in the relegation zone.

We always take the lead in games only to fall to pieces. It literally feels like everything that is hit at my 'goalkeeper' Ronnie Carroll just flies into the top bin!

Only plus of the month is that Mattis is starting to find his shooting boots.

How long will the board put up with this? Especially given our 'no transfer' policy is purely fictitious in game? Only time will tell.

I will hopefully see you in October :D

Monthly Update - October 2016...

728b06aa62.png

df18c2c57c.png

A busy month with a total of 8 league games played. We still await our first win. Out of the 8 games played we drew 3. I continue to tweek the tactic but im seriously considering playing with no TI's whatsever. 

Plus' for the month - a successful team meeting lifted moral slightly and Codling hit some decent form which we needed with Peers out injured.

The reality of the situation is we've won 0 out of 18 games and pick up 6 points from the 54 played for.  My job is literally hanging in the balance and im now third favorite in the 'sack race'.

Watch this space...

The end is nigh...

8ea9d297a2.png

I think the thing to do here in normal cases would be to promise X number of points from the next X games. Lets this what that require from me.

So..i need 10 points from 5 games. So far this season, ive managed 6 in 18. I better start to empty my desk.

Unbelievable Jeff...

WE'VE WON A GAME!

1cf9c8a41b.png

We've finally done it! Ok, we we're under the cosh but we played over half the match with 10 men and the last 20 mins against a very attacking 3-4-3! Barewell were in 10th place going into this game so its a massive win.

I cant get carried away because a) im facing the sack and b) its just one win but i changed formation to a very basic and simple flat 4-4-2 and cleared all TI's. 

Could i have been confusing the lads?

Is simple more effective in LLM? 

Hopefully i can stick around to see!

The fat lady sings...

87aa6b6aad.png

As you may well have read, the board gave me 5 games to pick up 10 points. This was always going to be a massive task, at that point i had collected 6 points from around 20 games!

Game 1: Spennymoor 3-1 AAFC - Again we took the lead to be pegged back after 5 mins. 2 late goals may have flattered Spennymoor in this game.

Then i changed tactic as discussed.

Game 2: AAFC 2-1 Barwell

Game 3: AAFC 2-1 Coalville - AMAZING, 2 wins on the bounce!

Game 4: AAFC 0-1 Grantham - Grantham were in 10th place and we held them right until the 92nd minute as they scored late on and thus, sealing my fate.

Where did it all go wrong?

Ive been told that doing a youth only save in England is one of the hardest things to do. Thats not the problem here though, i was looking forward to the challenge. My keeper was poor but i was even starting to warm to him! I failed here due to myself being tactically inept. The more i learnt (albeit on the job) the better we started to look, i just left it far too late! Im gutted all in all.

What happens now?

The save isnt dead. Its now a failed Youth Only Challenge come Journeyman save :D I have a rep to rebuild. The aim now will be to get back the job at Alvo, one day, and lead them to glory. I hear the chairman has dropped his ambitions of producing youth, for now, and has made me the scapegoat. Our paths will cross again.

and we are back in business...

83525b7972.jpg

Slimbridge FC

Club Profile | Facilities |Finances | History

A background:

Founded in 1902, Slimbridge are a semi-professional English club currently playing in the Evo-Stik Southern League First Division South/West (Tier 8). Slimbridge narrowly avoided relegation from the Evo-Stik Southern League First Division South/West (Tier 8) last season.

The club play their home games at Thornhill Park and posses basic training facilities and very basic youth facilities. The club also has a basic junior coaching budget and a limited youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as The Swans.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success in the 2000's. Although now enduring a ten year barren spell, having not won a competition since 2007. The Swans still have a history of which they can be justly proud. Slimbridge won the English Tier 9 for the only time in 2007.

At least you were successful in making Alvo Athletic the best team in Derbyshire before you were sacked!

I started a similar game last night, taking over Long Eaton, but I think youth only saves at this level are so tough this year ( eg i didnt have a single striker in my club). I think you should be able to sign who you like in the first transfer window, then set off on a youth only save? I think thats what I'm going to do next time round in a couple of days..?

good luck at Slimbridge

On 11/21/2016 at 13:29, RSJ said:

Could i have been confusing the lads?

Is simple more effective in LLM? 

11 hours ago, RSJ said:

Where did it all go wrong?

Ive been told that doing a youth only save in England is one of the hardest things to do. Thats not the problem here though, i was looking forward to the challenge. My keeper was poor but i was even starting to warm to him! I failed here due to myself being tactically inept. The more i learnt (albeit on the job) the better we started to look, i just left it far too late! Im gutted all in all.

On 11/20/2016 at 12:47, Raware said:

Not that I'm an expert on LLM or anything but the one thing that I've found that works for me is keeping it as simple as possible - re : tactics, formations etc.  The 4-4-2 that that you've gone with seems rigid and simple enough for that level and the players at that level.  It's tough because it's a youth challenge but at that level, all you need are 3 or 4 players that are leading players at that level and promotion is never too far away.

Without sounding condescending, I think that was your problem too.  Over complicating things.  I mentioned earlier in your thread about trying to keep it as simple as possible at that level re: tactics, formations, instructions, etc.  Again, not that I'm an expert but that has seemed to work for me in the past.  I've managed to get Long Eaton and Coalville up the leagues in previous versions of FM and that was based mainly on simple tactics/formations and literally having 2/3/4 players that are amongst the best in the league and built a squad around those.

Hopefully, with a bit more experience under your belt now, you'll be more successful and maybe one day take the reigns again at AAFC!

17 hours ago, Carninho said:

At least you were successful in making Alvo Athletic the best team in Derbyshire before you were sacked!

I started a similar game last night, taking over Long Eaton, but I think youth only saves at this level are so tough this year ( eg i didnt have a single striker in my club). I think you should be able to sign who you like in the first transfer window, then set off on a youth only save? I think thats what I'm going to do next time round in a couple of days..?

good luck at Slimbridge

Have you got a thread? If not, PM me and keep me posted on your progress. Im fond of a Borrwash Vics save i ran on FM10 :)

14 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Well done on taking the sacking on the chin and carrying on. :thup:

Thanks, i was sat at work wondering what to do but its comments like this that make me think im doing the right thing :)

12 hours ago, Raware said:

Without sounding condescending, I think that was your problem too.  Over complicating things.  I mentioned earlier in your thread about trying to keep it as simple as possible at that level re: tactics, formations, instructions, etc.  Again, not that I'm an expert but that has seemed to work for me in the past.  I've managed to get Long Eaton and Coalville up the leagues in previous versions of FM and that was based mainly on simple tactics/formations and literally having 2/3/4 players that are amongst the best in the league and built a squad around those.

Hopefully, with a bit more experience under your belt now, you'll be more successful and maybe one day take the reigns again at AAFC!

100% spot on. I think i spent that much time reading up on tactics, trying not to rely on downloading them, that i over complicated it far too much and forgot the most important information id been given early on :( 

Its gutting to lose the job but i have to take it as a lesson and move on, hopefully i can keep the interest going in my save and make a bit of a name for myself at Slimbridge.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks guys, i really appreciate everyones input.

Ah bugger...

And here endeth this save! Talking to the creater of the DB and its a known problem. Weird really, Alvo have fixtures for their new league despite being relegated.

9a96c351ea.png

8cd7b6182d.png

Not sure where to go from here, want to stick around the forum but need a new idea and people to get onboard rather then it being ''oh look, another thread from him''

Youth Only in Scotland anyone?

12 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Do what you feel YOU want. The more you play to the crowd, the less you'll like updating your save

Too true - think ive always liked the idea of a single team save, add the fact i enjoy managing in England and its easy to realise my next step.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I will be starting a new thread in the coming days, based on dafuges FM17 challenge. A new post will be started in due course.

Thanks to everyone for reading and participating in this (ableit failed) save - hope to see you over on my new one.

Rich

Well I started at Long Eaton last night and I kept all their existing players. soon became apparent that a youth only save would never work there (for me) as the squad had no width, or enough players full stop really.  So I signed some scouts and took in players on trial and signed the best i could get to build the spine of the team. playing a narrow 4-3-1-2 I've won the first 3 games, but I'm not long enough into it yet to fall in love with this save and stick to it.

I tend waste a few weeks after FM comes out starting off in different savegames (Forest, Roma, Dundee Utd & Monopoli then loads of journey man saves). Then I fall back on a Forest save. I'm desperate to find something new this year that I can stick to , I may take inspiration from your next thread.

19 hours ago, Carninho said:

Well I started at Long Eaton last night and I kept all their existing players. soon became apparent that a youth only save would never work there (for me) as the squad had no width, or enough players full stop really.  So I signed some scouts and took in players on trial and signed the best i could get to build the spine of the team. playing a narrow 4-3-1-2 I've won the first 3 games, but I'm not long enough into it yet to fall in love with this save and stick to it.

I tend waste a few weeks after FM comes out starting off in different savegames (Forest, Roma, Dundee Utd & Monopoli then loads of journey man saves). Then I fall back on a Forest save. I'm desperate to find something new this year that I can stick to , I may take inspiration from your next thread.

I have PM'd you mate.

14 hours ago, Raware said:

I'm presuming you're attempting dafuges FM17 challenge with Ilson judging by your pic? :D  Good choice; I had a great save with them on last years FM -

Yep! We are over here now mate :) Once id holidayed and the teams got promoted, there was only really one choice haha. Hopefully i can emulate some of your successes :)

Archived