[FM17] Full Maltese League file (updated for 17.3)

We’re very happy to announce the release of v2.0 of the playable Maltese league file for FM17.

How to download the file:

From this link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2vb5mj 

How to install the file:

Place the file named “FM17 Malta League v2.0_D42C6EB6-D927-4A7F-8D3B-29EE0070415F” in Documents / Sports Interactive / Football Manager 2017 / editor data. 

(If you have the previous 1.0 version of this file, then deleted it)

If you are running Windows 8, you may have two Sports Interactive folders within Documents. Choose the one which has a folder named games and follow the step listed above

How to use the file:

When you start a new game, you should now be able to select Malta as a playable league.

Information about this file:

Data is up-to-date as of 05/03/2017.

Over 32,500 individual data edits including but not restricted to:

• Over 500 persons edited to update everything from abilities to reputation, from personal information (date of birth, hair colour etc) to contract status, from player position to transfer and history information, and much more;

• Just over 1,000 new persons added so that ALL clubs have a full squad complement, including youth team players and backroom staff where known;

• All 67 clubs massively overhauled to update everything from reputation to youth stadiums, club histories to player and goalkeeper kit colours for all clubs, and also affiliate clubs;

• All 67 clubs containing this season’s REAL players and backroom staff for maximum accuracy

• Realistic competitions, including the real-life set-up and rules for all 4 senior Maltese divisions, the 2 Gozitan divisions and Sections A to E of the Youth FA competitions, as well as a Gozitan youth league;

• National characteristics so that wages and transfer values are as close to real-life values as possible and also to regulate future transfer movement from foreign countries and regions in a realistic manner;

• 20+ Awards added to mimic real-life awards, some of which can be voted for by the user;

• 100+ Derbies added to mimic real-life rivalries;

• 10 Stadiums added and assigned to clubs in order to correctly represent as closely as possible the real-life situation, within the limits of the editor;

• 10 Media Sources (Radio & TV stations, websites and TV programmes) added to attempt to present realistic media coverage;

As can be clearly seen, this was a massive undertaking and lots of time went into the research and preparation for this file. We’d like to thank all the persons who provided us with assistance and information with regards to data gathering. BurnCM4X from the official FM forum created the league format and other related issues, while drinu and mons collected and added all the remaining edits. If you notice any glaring mistakes, feel free to contact us so that the data may be corrected in future releases

A Facebook page with some screenshots can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Football-Manager-Malta-Fan-Club-166525630035106/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1299319286755729

1 hour ago, TIR669 said:

Yesss! :applause:

Silly question - but was this properly tested for 15-20+ seasons - can you label it safe to start a major save on v1.0?

I tested it for 7 seasons, in conjunction with a number of other editor data files.

It's built using pretty much the same files as in previous versions so I'd be very surprised indeed if there were any long-term issues with it...

• 2 weeks later...

HI Mons

Every year I look forward to this database, I have downloaded it and tried to run it but getting the error message could not process rule in (my file directory) Require Minimum of 10 teams in Section A, found only 2. Dunno if there is anything you can recommend?

On 02/12/2016 at 11:49, matts said:

HI Mons

Every year I look forward to this database, I have downloaded it and tried to run it but getting the error message could not process rule in (my file directory) Require Minimum of 10 teams in Section A, found only 2. Dunno if there is anything you can recommend?

Hi there,

It works absolutely fine my end, so I suspect that it's some sort of conflict with another editor data file you have in place. Try starting test games with some of these files not loaded to perhaps pinpoint which is the file causing the conflict.

On 2.12.2016 at 11:49, matts said:

HI Mons

I have the same problem - even when there are no other data-files selected

On 12/3/2016 at 22:01, 53bast1an said:

I have the same problem - even when there are no other data-files selected

23 hours ago, sheldonwea said:

Having the same problem :(

I'm finding this very hard to understand, especially 53bast1an's. I started a new test just yesterday using it and a lot of other files - and it worked as fine as it normally does.

Can either of you load the file with the editor and try and test rules? Is any error message generated?

2 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

This is impressive.

I have a curious question: How much of all your work  with especially the database, can/will SI use for official updates of FM?

Looking forward to try this file in the future.

Hi mate None SI has its own DB

11 hours ago, Mons said:

I'm finding this very hard to understand, especially 53bast1an's. I started a new test just yesterday using it and a lot of other files - and it worked as fine as it normally does.

Can either of you load the file with the editor and try and test rules? Is any error message generated?

Did that. Needed four tries :D First and second time, the editor crashed, third time an error message occured, but clicked that away by accident, fourth time there were no issues. Started a new save then and everything went fine. Sorry for the trouble :)

17 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

This is impressive.

I have a curious question: How much of all your work  with especially the database, can/will SI use for official updates of FM?

Looking forward to try this file in the future.

To add to what my Gibraltarian colleague has said, this file complements the Maltese data already in the game. There are already over 1,300 Maltese and Malta-based persons in the default SI database, with full squads for the top 2 divisions and a smattering of the more prominent players and staff further down the leagues. To be honest, my understanding is that SI guidelines for researchers of non-playable leagues have been to avoid over-populating their database. Basically, I just run an additional Maltese player and staff database alongside the official data and activate the Maltese competitions and rules. In between versions of this file and official patches, I tweak, add, edit, remove etc. from between one database and another according to what happens irl...

14 hours ago, sheldonwea said:

I don't know why, but it is working now, great work!

11 hours ago, 53bast1an said:

Did that. Needed four tries :D First and second time, the editor crashed, third time an error message occured, but clicked that away by accident, fourth time there were no issues. Started a new save then and everything went fine. Sorry for the trouble :)

Better late than never, I guess :)

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:21, Mons said:

I have tried test rules in the editor and they are all valid, I managed to select the data file on start up, but now when I get to the league selection screen on start up, with only England selected its saying total database numbers number is 217,880? Duno if its my settings or not, I have nothing else selected

6 minutes ago, matts said:

I have tried test rules in the editor and they are all valid, I managed to select the data file on start up, but now when I get to the league selection screen on start up, with only England selected its saying total database numbers number is 217,880? Duno if its my settings or not, I have nothing else selected

Not sure what the bit in bold means tbh. Can you drop me a PM, I have a suggestion...

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 00:41, cel1234 said:

You be updating this ??

I had updated it, but completely forgot to change the link in this thread, so thanks for notifying me.

Link in the OP and details all changed now :)

19 hours ago, lo.simon said:

Hi,

This work with claassen update ?

Nothing wrong with claassen's files (I use loads of his) but I think this is a bit more detailed players-wise.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Lolo685 said:

Just to confirm I was getting the not working thing until I tinkered with removing some editor files

Working fine now :)

Could you indicate which files you removed? So I can perhaps check to see if the potential conflict is from my file or from the other file and see if I can "fix" it for future releases...

19 hours ago, Mons said:

Could you indicate which files you removed? So I can perhaps check to see if the potential conflict is from my file or from the other file and see if I can "fix" it for future releases...

It won't work with Dan's  England Level 22 file

17 hours ago, Lolo685 said:

It won't work with Karna's Serb 4th tier file but will work with his 3rd tier file..

Thanks for this. I'll have a look, but I don't have any plans to release a new version of this file for FM17.

• 1 month later...

Can you please take a look at the attached imaged? I think there may be a mistake in the database and you have two players that are supposed to represent one player. They both have different updates but I think this may be a mistake.

Rabat A..png

20 hours ago, squirrel878 said:

Can you please take a look at the attached imaged? I think there may be a mistake in the database and you have two players that are supposed to represent one player. They both have different updates but I think this may be a mistake.

Rabat A..png

Am I right in saying you're using the first version of this file with the latest official database update?

v1.0 of this file is to be used with the default database, while v2.0 is to be used with the official SI winter database update, otherwise there will be a number of duplicates like the above.

13 hours ago, Mons said:

Am I right in saying you're using the first version of this file with the latest official database update?

v1.0 of this file is to be used with the default database, while v2.0 is to be used with the official SI winter database update, otherwise there will be a number of duplicates like the above.

Yes, that was my problem. Thank you very much!

I have an interesting problem with Maltese 3rd, 2nd, and 1st league.
There are no substitutions. My team is OK, but other teams have only goalkeeper on the player's bench.
It is interesting, that if I check the squad there are 11 players in the field and 7 players on the bench. But if I watch the match, there are only the goalkeeper on the bench.
I thought, that this problem occurs only during matches of my team, but I have checked other matches from 1, 2 and 3 leagues and everywhere there is the same. There are almost no substitutions (almost - because the goalkeepers are available - so If the team is forced to make substitution, the only solution is to change for example striker or defender for 2nd goalkeeper.)
I have checked the premier leaue. But in this league everything is OK.
Is there any solution for it?

ok. The problem solved.
It was conneceted with the rule: minimum quantity of domestic players in the first squad during match.
I tried to switch this rule to minimum quantity of domestic players in whole squad for a match (first 11+7substitutions), and now it works ok.

17 hours ago, talvikko said:

ok. The problem solved.
It was conneceted with the rule: minimum quantity of domestic players in the first squad during match.
I tried to switch this rule to minimum quantity of domestic players in whole squad for a match (first 11+7substitutions), and now it works ok.

Interesting, haven't had this reported before. I'll make a note and make sure it's fixed for next year's version.

Another interesting problem (but it may be general issue In the game):
I tried to check the database, so I started to play as Ta’Xbiex (3rd league) I went to "vacation", to see what will happen in next season and:
1. If I finish at the place lower than 3 (so if I stay in the same league for next season) everything is OK. I can offer each type of contracts: semi-professional, amateur or non-contract
2. If I finish at the 3rd place (so if I got promotion to the 2nd league) I can’t offer contract other than “non-contract” (even for youngsters generated by my u-19 team). The finances are OK. Available Wage budget is much higher that I use.
I tried to find the source: so I created another manager and tried to start in other clubs and discovered that this problem occurred in all clubs which were promoted to higher league (from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st ). It is interesting, that other options of contracts are available for teams promoted to the Premier League.

5 hours ago, talvikko said:

ok. I hope that the problem is now solved. in the editor i added types of contract for each league. after short test I think, that it should work.

Haven't had that problem before. Interested to see what you did to work around it so that I include it in the next version of this file please :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-24 at 08:11, talvikko said:

as a fan of Maltese football, I will be very glad to be helpful.

Can you tell me what it is you did to solve it?

Summing up:
As I described above, I found 2 problems in your database file:
Problem No 1: 
Almost no substitutions in the teams other than mine (in leagues 1, 2, 3).
If I check the squad there are 11 players in the field and 7 players on the bench. But if I watch the match, there are only the goalkeeper on the bench (so If the team is forced to make substitution, the only solution is to change for example striker or defender for 2nd goalkeeper.) 
Source of the problem No 1:
It was connected with the rule: minimum quantity of domestic players in the first squad during match. Premier League was OK, because in this league obligatory number of domestic players in the first squad is lower that in leagues with the problem.
Solution No 1:
I switched (in the editor) this rule to: minimum quantity of domestic players in whole squad for a match (first 11+7substitutions), and now it works ok.

Problem No 2:
If I got promotion to the 2nd or 1st league (checked all teams promoted), I can’t offer contract other than “non-contract” (even for youngsters generated by my u-19 team) – before promotion or in case of lack of promotion everything is OK: I can offer each type of contracts: semi-professional, amateur or non-contract. Once again: Premier League was OK.
Source of the problem No 2:
Some contract types in the editor (in leagues 1st, 2nd, 3rd) weren’t set.
Solution No 2:
In the editor I set all Contract Types for each league.

On 6/25/2017 at 11:47, talvikko said:

Summing up:
As I described above, I found 2 problems in your database file:
Problem No 1: 
Almost no substitutions in the teams other than mine (in leagues 1, 2, 3).
If I check the squad there are 11 players in the field and 7 players on the bench. But if I watch the match, there are only the goalkeeper on the bench (so If the team is forced to make substitution, the only solution is to change for example striker or defender for 2nd goalkeeper.) 
Source of the problem No 1:
It was connected with the rule: minimum quantity of domestic players in the first squad during match. Premier League was OK, because in this league obligatory number of domestic players in the first squad is lower that in leagues with the problem.
Solution No 1:
I switched (in the editor) this rule to: minimum quantity of domestic players in whole squad for a match (first 11+7substitutions), and now it works ok.

Problem No 2:
If I got promotion to the 2nd or 1st league (checked all teams promoted), I can’t offer contract other than “non-contract” (even for youngsters generated by my u-19 team) – before promotion or in case of lack of promotion everything is OK: I can offer each type of contracts: semi-professional, amateur or non-contract. Once again: Premier League was OK.
Source of the problem No 2:
Some contract types in the editor (in leagues 1st, 2nd, 3rd) weren’t set.
Solution No 2:
In the editor I set all Contract Types for each league.

Excellent; thanks a lot. I'll fix these in the FM18 version of this file :)

• 2 months later...

After 3 seasons of playing as Mdina, I think, that I found 2 other problems (maybe they are connected with the game itself, not the database, but as I found so I write):

1. As I have check the history of transfers in all Maltese leagues, there are almost no transfers other than free transfers. Apart from a few transfers made by me, there was ONLY ONE case, that another team bought the player for money.

If I tried to sell attractive(for other teams) players, I always receive the offer with price: zero (without the possibility to negotiate)

2. At the end of my third season in the game (in the first league) my team was placed third. So I achieved the possibility to play the play-off to advance to the BOV Premier league.
But I'm unable to play, because after the last match of the regular season my whole team went on holiday. So I have no players to play the most important match in the season.
I found the information, that this kind of issue was fixed by the last patch of FM, but this fix was prepared for Eredivisie or Eerste Divisie, so I think it is connected with particular league.

I recognized the problems after almost three months of playing of my "career" (because I play no more  than one match a day)

14 hours ago, talvikko said:

After 3 seasons of playing as Mdina, I think, that I found 2 other problems (maybe they are connected with the game itself, not the database, but as I found so I write):

1. As I have check the history of transfers in all Maltese leagues, there are almost no transfers other than free transfers. Apart from a few transfers made by me, there was ONLY ONE case, that another team bought the player for money.

If I tried to sell attractive(for other teams) players, I always receive the offer with price: zero (without the possibility to negotiate)

2. At the end of my third season in the game (in the first league) my team was placed third. So I achieved the possibility to play the play-off to advance to the BOV Premier league.
But I'm unable to play, because after the last match of the regular season my whole team went on holiday. So I have no players to play the most important match in the season.
I found the information, that this kind of issue was fixed by the last patch of FM, but this fix was prepared for Eredivisie or Eerste Divisie, so I think it is connected with particular league.

I recognized the problems after almost three months of playing of my "career" (because I play no more  than one match a day)

1. I suspect this is due to the fact that clubs are semi-pro, and perhaps also related to the FM club status model, which isn't really intended to replicate the kind of system espoused by Maltese football. Although clubs are technically only semi-professional, you frequently have 5-10 full-time foreigners on the books, as well as another handful of local players with wages which can only be considered as part-time in name and certainly not in value. So, it's really hard to implement within the FM parameters, unfortunately.

2. This was an issue identified after release :( But I should have a possible solution for the FM18 version, hopefully.

Archived