[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Well done so far. Story of the year if you can win the CL at the first go!

Thanks, man -- it's unreal thus far.  City, Barcelona and Bobby Manc's Dortmund are the other semifinalists.

f4b08e3e9862fe64561fc8f73c6f6aac.png

I want Dortmund, one of Die Fohlen's main rivals...and, to annihilate Bobby Manc...

dfe0e4ce9014bea2a680e7dbb67ab01c.png

#RNGeebusFTW

I'm the last cowboy in this town...

e3197b28f22c664223abef16ffeb3b71.png      ad073fb401ec5e1005603e20deea39bd.png

Borussia Mönchengladbach / Sweden

Champions League 2028/29 - Semifinals

Gentlemen, listen up.  For months, the press castigated you.  Called you worthless.  Not worthy of the badge.  When I arrived, I told you that I would take this club to the pinnacle, and asked who among you would be there with me.

No fake envelopes with mystery names written down.  I told you -- YOU -- to show me your worth.  To join us on that ride.  To take this club and our city to the top.  We're almost there.

Standing in the way?  Not just the three-time Bundesliga Champions, but the supporters' hated rivals.  Led by a wanker who wears scarves in summer.  Not today.  This is our day.  I don't care if this is their city, their stadium.  Tonight, it is ours.

90 minutes.  Show me what you've got.

24de49102803a61379fd7b892e854e85.jpg

Priceless.  A smash and grab job, that left me feeling like I should leave Bobby Manc a fiver on the bedside table.  Back to Borussia-Park, we go.  90 minutes from glory.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Junter's wearing at least 4 scarves during his pre-match antics, the cheeky ****.  The stadium is awash in laser green as we emerge from the tunnel.  Sure, UEFA will fine us, but who cares?  This is our moment, and I'll pay the fine personally.

Junter may be on his own for bail money, though, if he follows through on his Twitter promise to do unspeakable things to Bobby Manc at the final whistle, win, lose or draw.

We're on our home pitch, with a lead.  As tempted as I am to play on the counter again, we won't start that way.  Not tonight.  We need to pay homage to the ghosts of the past, and attack.

I go to shake Bobby Manc's hand, and ask that he give his mother my best.  He looks stunned.  Rattled.  I pull him closer and twist the dagger even further.

"You know, Bobby, in Sweden they sing my name with joy.  They burn you in effigy.  You're just a City reject, riding the coattails and largesse of others.  A wanker."

I pull away, nod as if I've said something profound and respectful.  Bobby looks around, as if he's being pranked.  I catch his eye, shake my head scornfully, and turn away to saunter back to my technical area amidst a chorus of song.

Oh, ****.  What have I done?  We can't lose now...

05709dcdc1676d73c5f3c2047d8f5f20.jpg

Hagi, you miserable, sweet ****.  You can't miss a penalty in the 2nd leg of a European semifinal!!!  But then, you went and TOTALLY REDEEMED YOURSELF!

Say goodnight to Bobby Manc, Junter.  We're going to Istanbul, to the Ataturk Olympic stadium.  To face Unai Emery's Barcelona, who sit precariously atop La Liga with one match remaining, and just eliminated Luis Enrique's City...the side he left Barcelona to manage 1 year ago when Simeone left for Fiorentina.

ec99c390ef0beee887d9a086c4cdc0a4.jpg

Incredibly, we sit 90 minutes from immortality.  The reality is that, if we don't win, we won't even be in Europe next year.  It will be at least a 2 year journey to get back to this hallowed ground.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Oh my, man this could be crazy!

46 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

Exciting times ahead!

2 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

The narrative FM is giving you this year... insane!

My brain is melting.

#TelleusFTW #JustJunterThings

13 minutes ago, R7Now said:

This is absolutely mental. Maybe Apples is still willing to reconcile if you leave Germany?

All depends on where we end up!  :lol:

Fonseca just left Malmo for Atletico. The Brugge and Partizan jobs are available, though... :cool:

I'm on the eve of the final, just can't play it until later this evening. Stupid responsibilities.

Why must I wait in line for something that is mine?

Champions League 2028/29 - Final, Ataturk Stadium

champions-league-trophy.jpg

ataturk-olympic-stadium.jpg Ataturk-Olympic-Stadium_Field-view_5487.

90 minutes from immortality.  A tight match.  We play on the counter, as they're a far, far better squad on paper.

Neither side able to find a breakthough.  Both pushing, pressing, but not coming close as neither is willing to commit men forward.  We're hold our own.  

In the 42nd minute, though, we give away a stupid free kick 25 yards from goal.  

2e5020f30b6a3d24be80d18588bd59b2.jpg

1-0 to the Catalans!!!  Weiser, a former Borussia player, buries it to give the Catalans a lead!  We stay the course, no need for any drastic changes.  Shortly before the half, Abdualiev heads the ball on ... to no one.  No one at all.

c4f8026367363fb51c6146f1b70d6bb6.jpg

Barcelona to gather and clear...OH MY GOD WHAT IS IVANOV THINKING!!!

bca04f03d534a45838aa0c7548824050.jpg

HIS TOUCH SENDS THE BALL WIDE OF HIS OWN GOALKEEPER, WITH ABDUALIEV IN HOT PURSUIT!!!  HE MAKES NO MISTAKE!!! 1-1, IN THE BALANCE!!!

39ff2a4fa8e02d64a0281a7c1e245642.jpg

In the balance, no quarter given.  A nice interchange sends Miguel through...

4d80da361a5958ae7a235db63b53719c.jpg

IT'S A TIGHT ANGLE BUT HE TURNS AND SMASHES IT TOWARD GOAL...

6e8bc7338158ca3fc00bd0a12ea65c11.jpg

SAHIN WITH A WORLD CLASS SAVE!!!

20 MINUTES TO PLAY!!!  THIS IS ANYONE'S MATCH!!!

Why must I wait in line for something that is mine?

Champions League 2028/29 - Final, Ataturk Stadium

85th minute.  Corner to Monchengladbach.  Pascual to take.  He whips it into the near post...

19e44290764485287210b10ad8722f38.jpg

Ojeda clears.  Faivre chases it down on the far side of the box...will he make for the byline or pump it back into the mixer?

7721a5529bb3653a6edb76e422b7710f.jpg

Salazar anticipating the early cross as the Germans regroup, their runs beginning to take shape...

29a8a07302075e492d212114a4dbd451.jpg

BUT FAIVRE HAS OTHER IDEAS!!! HE SEES A GAP AT THE NEAR POST...CAN HE!!?!?!?

88ccd9fdf5002a566348a8a3ead42779.jpg

a6e65771312425196521c81e07da5bf2.jpg

SALAZAR BEATEN AT HIS NEAR POST!!! HIS FEET WERE NOT SET!!! HUMILIATION!!! 2 GOALS, GIFTED TO THE GERMANS!!! BUT CAN THEY SURVIVE THE ONSLAUGHT TO COME!!!  EMERY IS LIVID WITH HIS KEEPER, AND RIGHTLY SO!!!

TELLEUS, THE PICTURE OF FOCUSED IN HIS TECHNICAL AREA!  HE DIDN'T EVEN BLINK WHEN THE GOAL WENT IN!!!  5 MINUTES, PLUS STOPPAGE TIME?!?!?  IS THIS THEIR MOMENT?!?!?!?

IT IS!!!!

BARCELONA, WITH ALL OF THE POSSESSION, AND NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!!

TELLEUS' MEN ARE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE, AGAIN!!!

2c2c810e0757806cbc421c386d4eb411.jpg

613194fbba5d3dccb98af0f8b75d585f.png

Edited by ManUtd1

3 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

The one-year wonder! Two gifts, but it takes that sometimes.

Last year, I was way overdue.  This year?  Utter madness.

Just now, Ceching You Out said:

This is madness. You are madness. How many souls do you now owe the Dark One?

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

:lol:

Tomorrow, I'll pull together a "season review," such as it is.  I barely even know the players names, FFS!  Then, I'll need to resign and see what's what.

Partizan filled their position quickly with Razvan Rat.  The Club Brugge position still seems to be available.  Saint-Etienne is insecure.

b89408bd22b92669881cca4a5035ba68.jpg

I have such mixed feelings about this... I mean I'm happy that you got the CL at your first try and all, but I feel denied of a great epic tale (all though the road to the final was a pretty good one)! Also all of those Swedish talents that are now going to be wasted. O well, so be it!

I would love to see you take on the Belgian side next.

What? How?! I've only been gone from this thread for a day and a half and you've managed to win the UCL again??

Amazing stuff, congratulations. Now, perhaps if you were to add the Championship as a playable league...

10 hours ago, Rikulec said:

This is crazy. Definitely a thread to remember, and it's still early days!

9 hours ago, Willigenburg said:

Damn! The draws went your way.. Fiorentina! and then Dortmund.. Great games and great displays. As @Ceching You Out says: this is madness! Congratulations on getting the trophy to Germany!

8 hours ago, Repsalty said:

I have such mixed feelings about this... I mean I'm happy that you got the CL at your first try and all, but I feel denied of a great epic tale (all though the road to the final was a pretty good one)! Also all of those Swedish talents that are now going to be wasted. O well, so be it!

I would love to see you take on the Belgian side next.

8 hours ago, andychar said:

See told you it was a good decision!

I don't think anybody expected you to go all the way and actually win the thing this season! 

8 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Oh my God! Absolute scenes. Congratulations, getting it in your first go is incredible. And you were able to knock out Bobby Manc.

7 hours ago, smp20 said:

Wow, I told you you could do it :D

7 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Holy crap! :lol: In and out in one season, what a season! On ter dirty 'aul Leeds! :D

6 hours ago, GloryFan2002 said:

All these houses must be piling up, time to sell something

4 hours ago, Dave. said:

What? How?! I've only been gone from this thread for a day and a half and you've managed to win the UCL again??

Amazing stuff, congratulations. Now, perhaps if you were to add the Championship as a playable league...

As always, thank you all for reading!!!  You (and the others who read/comment) are what make this journey worthwhile!

I'm still at a loss for words.  Eliminating Bobby Manc made it all the sweeter.  I do have some regret in that Monchengladbach was tailor-made for the ever-percolating insanity of this thread.  I'll come back here in another save, another time.  

In terms of where this thread goes next...I'm not sure.  I've got to post the season review and then play WCQs against Andorra and Greece before much else can happen.  I've resigned and applied for the Club Brugge job, but am wondering if RNGeebus has a master plan that sees me in England sooner rather than later.  If Leeds promote, I've got to prioritize them under the "@Dave. Rule."  So, the longer I can delay a decision on Brugge (if I am to get an offer) the better.  I'm not going to add playable leagues right now -- processing times are slowing down, and I don't want to do that just yet.  If I can X out a country completely, maybe I'll do it then.

I think the castle in Germany needs to go -- no real attachment to the place, and Apples wasn't a fan.  If she had to choose between Brugge and Leeds, though, she'll likely just end up divorcing me. :lol:

Ok, enough of the blah blah blah from me..for the moment.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the the triumph.

2028/29 Season Review

Monchengladbach, I hardly knew ye.

I'm not kidding.  I still can't tell Fleiss and Enke apart.  They got over it, at least.  They simply understood that, when playing a 4141, Fleiss was in the XI and, when playing 4411, Enke was on the pitch.  Maybe I have that backwards.  **** it.  It doesn't really matter now, does it?

The castle I've only just come to call home.  Junter.  The brilliantly blinding green that would shine down at Borussia-Park.  It's all over.

Leaving Malmo felt raw.  It was too early.  Leaving Fiorentina was bittersweet, given the heartache we'd suffered in the early years and the embarrassment of riches left behind.  

This?  The football equivalent of a torrid love affair.  It blazed hot while in the moment.  Maybe even a little dirty at times, given our tactics.  But now the time has come to move on and I can only look back in fondness.  There was no time for bitterness or disappointment.  No time for heartache or despair.  For the quirks of the other to become tedious and annoying.  Rather, my time in Germany was a blaze of glory like that of young love, forever pure, the ardor never extinguished.  Something to be silently cherished as the days and years pass and memories grow older.

It's time for a new challenge.  One that has a broader horizon.  Somewhere I can leave a legacy.

Some of these links are clearly intended to show how a club progresses over time...kind of beside the point at Monkeygladback.  But, they're here nevertheless.  The green lines on the transfers/fixtures screen are intended to show when I stepped in.  

As noted above by myself and others, this leaves my Sweden plans at something of a turning point.  I'd brought in 6 Swedish youngsters, including the fullbacks and goalkeeper I'm going to be relying on, 2 brilliant young midfielders and a promising center back.  I doubt I'll be able to buy them when I reach my next destination.  Regardless, there's nothing to do but push on.  Hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot.

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Bundesliga Fixtures|Champions League Fixtures|DFB Pokal Fixtures

Champions League 2028/29 Review

4de9ceda96bdbdd415b9515ecae47500.jpg

26e7021c3d9d500c77808a7823d2ca57.png 086e04528fd5af52c72feef2be4667de.jpg

17be1f3c9b4c0729c254787cb17a7871.jpg

Challenge Overview

b97abe3e609374f6b7722baf64b270be.png

dba711682f9f1d116914eaa4c2018c7c.png

Big shame indeed, but also excellent work. I feel a bit cheated just reading it!

Something about Brugge doesn't really excite me, but they are eligible so I guess they have to be taken on at some point. I think I'd much prefer to see a stint in France, or even a return to Italy should the opportunity arise.

21 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Big shame indeed, but also excellent work. I feel a bit cheated just reading it!

Something about Brugge doesn't really excite me, but they are eligible so I guess they have to be taken on at some point. I think I'd much prefer to see a stint in France, or even a return to Italy should the opportunity arise.

Thanks, man - definitely a shame, which is odd to say/think!

Regarding Club Brugge, you make a good point. Just because they're available doesn't mean I have to go there now. They're something of a force right now, battling it out with Genk who were taken over by a sugar daddy. Notwithstanding Genk's money, Brugge have won 6 straight domestic titles and have gone through to the CL Group Stages in 4 or 5 straight years, moving on to the early knockout rounds of the CL/EL consistently. So, they're in great shape right now, a big fish in a small pond so to speak.

The question being, is that the destination I want at this moment, or should I wait for something else to pop up...where the struggle is more pronounced.

Speaking of legacies, Bobby Manc must've had a pretty big legacy for all the wrong reasons at Malmo. He ****ed up the squad so badly before he left that they aren't even able to make the group stages under their new fella.

Edited by Fer Fuchs Ake
Rephrasing

ad073fb401ec5e1005603e20deea39bd.png

Sweden

June 2029 - World Cup Qualifying Update

We began World Cup Qualifying away to Montenegro, followed by a home match against Poland.  We were poor in both matches.  Falling behind in Montenegro, securing a lead late...and then blowing it in injury time.  Against Poland, we controlled but could not make it count on the scoreboard.  At least we finished that match with all 3 points.  Only time will tell if the loss in Montenegro will be problematic...clearly not, if we take care of business during the rest of the campaign.

47506c9565a522ee31ff035498ba7c67.jpg c5021192a13ce283244fc87306b6629b.jpg

Away to Andorra was a pure bloodbath.  Aboki had a hat trick within the first 5 minutes, to add to Larsson's sole tally.  A grim day for the home side...4-nil down with 85 minutes to play.  And that was before Lundqvist had even touched the ball.  Vujovic continues to show the form that made me rely on him in Malmo, notwithstanding his underwhelming attributes at first blush.

One might say that we Grapefrukt them.

f5b18c7693b5dc7b40718ed9817a6802.jpg d9ac1f262bc3c73bcaa5720b941078f5.jpg

Greece was always going to be a tougher task.  Top of the table heading into the match, with 9 points from 3 matches.  After our stumble in Montenegro, we needed to beat the Greeks in Stockholm to seize the advantage.

2b20172ee9b4aac4a95d9d91ff145eb1.jpg

59182992cfb166220b7ae0df849922f1.png

Nope.  Another missed opportunity, which drops us into 3rd.  Frankly, we're not good enough.  We may still qualify for 2030 if we can start playing better, but this campaign has to be the building blocks upon which a true bid in 2034 is built.

Edited by ManUtd1

16 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Speaking of legacies, Bobby Manc must've had a pretty big legacy for all the wrong reasons at Malmo. He ****ed up the squad so badly before he left that they aren't even able to make the group stages under their new fella.

They've struggled in Europe since '22, but remain the top team in Sweden by a long shot.

Bobby Manc left in June 2026, after 4 years in charge:

929384628fb1349f8afa48e31643d561.png

718577e514f686e9f1592cf2e62d3657.png

cd1e1981fb371aed2487f9a8cb9bf71d.jpg

I think we're seeing more of a regression to the mean, overall.  Paulo Fonseca (who took over after Bobby Manc left) went to Atletico Madrid in May 2029.  It will be interesting to see who they snap up now.

Edited by ManUtd1

mamma mia, you play fast! Congrats on that delicious Florentine journey :)

oops, in that case I'm sad you didn't get the chance to have a go with Die Fohlen :lol:

Edited by LPQR
just read things properly

19 minutes ago, LPQR said:

mamma mia, you play fast! Congrats on that delicious Florentine journey :)

oops, in that case I'm sad you didn't get the chance to have a go with Die Fohlen :lol:

Hahaha...you're not the only one who blinked and missed it.  I'm in the same boat!  :lol:

7 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hahaha...you're not the only one who blinked and missed it.  I'm in the same boat!  :lol:

jeez... this is the kind of stuff that keeps you going in FM day and night while your whole life falls apart around you. Incredible story 

Just now, LPQR said:

jeez... this is the kind of stuff that keeps you going in FM day and night while your whole life falls apart around you. Incredible story 

Heh...yeah.  I gave up the game a few years ago, but a youth only save in FM 15 brought me back.  Of all the vices I could have, my wife tolerates this one, coffee and jelly beans :)

As for the weekend of insanity...it's a long story.  Last Friday I f'd up my left ankle quite badly.  Mind you, I utterly destroyed my right ankle more than a decade ago playing footie.  More than 7 surgeries later, there's nothing that can be done for it but to suffer the daily pain/instability; I'm too young for a fusion or total ankle replacement.  So, back to the present...as of Friday, my left ankle was a mess and walking/compensating made my right ankle hurt even more than usual.  I basically spent the weekend icing/elevating both ankles.  It was utterly ridiculous.  The left ankle is getting better, but...man.  Not good.  I highly recommend against this.

1 minute ago, ManUtd1 said:

Heh...yeah.  I gave up the game a few years ago, but a youth only save in FM 15 brought me back.  Of all the vices I could have, my wife tolerates this one, coffee and jelly beans :)

As for the weekend of insanity...it's a long story.  Last Friday I f'd up my left ankle quite badly.  Mind you, I utterly destroyed my right ankle more than a decade ago playing footie.  More than 7 surgeries later, there's nothing that can be done for it but to suffer the daily pain/instability; I'm too young for a fusion or total ankle replacement.  So, back to the present...as of Friday, my left ankle was a mess and walking/compensating made my right ankle hurt even more than usual.  I basically spent the weekend icing/elevating both ankles.  It was utterly ridiculous.  The left ankle is getting better, but...man.  Not good.  I highly recommend against this.

bloody hell, that sounds tough mate. stay strong and I'm sure everyone here would 'send you to see a specialist' rather than leaving you at home

6 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Reading back through again, absolutely loving this :).

Much appreciated, man.  The idea was originally yours, anyways, so I'm just glad to be doing it justice!  

Heh...the back-and-forth with @LPQR reminded me of the epic IFK Malmo save in FM15 that you were there for, as well.  Good times!  When I hit Leeds, I may try to replicate the 433/23221 system I implemented there, for the tiki-taka approach I've vowed to take at that stop on the tour.