[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

1 minute ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Thanks to the advice from yourself and @BoxToBox about attending matches that your transfer targets are involved in, I'm beginning to turn the head of that right back wonderkid I was talking about. Corinthians have significantly reduced their asking price as well. They are planning on giving him a new contract though...

Nice!  Just offer him bucketloads more than they can... :cool:

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Thanks to the advice from yourself and @BoxToBox about attending matches that your transfer targets are involved in, I'm beginning to turn the head of that right back wonderkid I was talking about. Corinthians have significantly reduced their asking price as well. They are planning on giving him a new contract though...

Excellent!

Bwahaha...remember Bierhoff, the brilliant young forward at Leverkusen? Got him on a loan, with a $9M optional fee. And he likes me, thanks to watching him play, etc...I've got 5 months to convince him to sign on a permanent deal.

My precious...

2 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Gabonese is interesting! Look very promising. 

He's going to be my libero. Straight into the side.

Things are coming together, even if I'm having to sign older players than I'd prefer.

29 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

The Sammarinese Mafia will deal with Emma (well, he will as soon as he's back from holiday). Just focus on getting the job done and escaping from f***ing Leeds.

Hahaha...It's Emma, even the mob adores her! They'll whack me for complaining!

Some day, this place is gonna burn...

560c57a7bcb8e23d0face6ee8b76ac78.png

Leeds United

April 2031 - Mini Update

Into the stretch run we go, at a canter.  Shaking off the losses to Chelsea and City.  We're in with a shout for European football next year, via the League and/or FA Cup.  Having to go to a replay on three separate occasions in the latter (including extra time against United)...thank goodness the lads have all accustomed to the strict grapefruit diet instituted last summer.  Our run-in in the League is very straightforward, as all of our matches are against sides beneath us in the table.  Bournemouth in the FA Cup Semifinals (after Norwich in the Quarterfinals)...tremendous draw, given the Liverpool/United draws earlier.

In other good news, Miquel Carcel has agreed to a permanent move over the summer, after multiple failed contract negotiations.  Bierhoff's agent is still being a **** in negotiations, but we're getting closer and I've got two months to get him to sign on the dotted line.

I love it when a plan comes together.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

1b9f63dfee65afe440ff6bc6a820f036.jpg

55ee3ae56903dabc7e1331308d7dc5bc.jpg

cc3a814133da1f9c794a92ffcbc0dad2.png

c558c3e7f028d0ea905927e9f2997c76.png

33edbfd08a11e9316b707345f1954008.png

I've watched him play 8 times, had Skulason raise the issue on social media.  He's gone from "no, thanks...it's Leeds" to a rows with Allegri after our latest offer was rejected.  

b776ac39a74b1d0b9ddb89b8e28384e9.png

The overtures will continue...I need a better keeper.  Menagh (a Manchester United product) is doing well, but he's not good enough.

EDIT: After his fit, I get this message.

dd5f3110d862579ebb475b2ddf67b497.png

Ze Germans had rejected a $37M offer, leading to his tantrum.  NIce.

Edited by ManUtd1

The Swedish 'keeper I brought to Monchengladbach in 2028, a 2030 World Cup winner, is on his way to The Glory That Is Leeds for $18.5M.

4d575438855e849d386147e63d4f53c4.png

Nice.

--- 

EDIT:

Rosenburg just prior to the 2030 World Cup, and current.  I'm extremely excited about this signing.  

3a8179b40c23fc63af0f4ff95176fa85.jpg c610e3bcd56782d8b063bfeca37a9133.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

3 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Brexit who?  Some nice signings there mate, Leeds is looking up.

Thanks, man.  Yeah, things are very much looking up even if I can't sign a bunch of U18s (which I prefer, for homegrown quotas).  I'll post a season review tonight, after work.

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

You're like the new ‘arry Redknapp with your wheeling and dealing. Great signings though.

I must admit, I've long considered a script involving me sitting outside the training ground in the car with my window rolled down.  But, I don't like deadline day deals, so it has never come to fruition.  

Well, that and I'm worried about what the miscellaneous background might try to shove in my ear whilst chatting amiably about our transfer plans... :lol:

20 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I must admit, I've long considered a script involving me sitting outside the training ground in the car with my window rolled down.

"Hakan's been there for three days, just sitting there with his window rolled down outside the training ground, car never running."

"It's all a bit 'arry Redknapp, isn't it?"

"Does he even know it's October?!"

51 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

"Hakan's been there for three days, just sitting there with his window rolled down outside the training ground, car never running."

"It's all a bit 'arry Redknapp, isn't it?"

"Does he even know it's October?!"

“According to reports, the only comment he's made was a barely audible complaint about work permits.” 

4 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

“According to reports, the only comment he's made was a barely audible complaint about work permits.” 

"And something about whacking and Emma......"

6R2cyhf.jpg

:ackter:

Oh no Apple :eek: - nevertheless, it lets Hakan concentrate on Leeds. You've done a fine job so far, looks like you could snatch a place in Europe, either by the league or the cup. Keep up the wheeler dealer-ing :D

Some day, this place is gonna burn...

Leeds United

2030/31 Season Review

When you hit rock bottom, there's only one way you can go.  Somewhere between the dank corridors of Elland Road, the loss of Apples and the bottom of a pint glass at The Old Peacock, I found it again.  Inspiration.

That single-minded desire to overcome adversity, in all its forms.  While I cannot help but hope for Apples' happiness, the rest of Europe will have to answer for Emma's betrayal.

That renewed focus paid dividends on the pitch.  Slowly, but surely this manic side has begun to take shape.  We notched a few big wins on our belt, most importantly over the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United in the FA Cup, on our march to the Final.  Alright, Arsenal kicked us around, but it was one hell of a run and far more than anyone expected of us.  In the League, we finished strong finding ourselves 6th with a guaranteed spot in the Europa League.

12 months ago, on the eve of the World Cup in Spain, if anyone had told me that not only would Sweden win the lot but I'd finish 6th in the Premier League with Leeds, I'd have crossed the street to avoid the mad bastard.  But, nevertheless, here we are and that mad bastard is the head of our supporters' club.

A good year, all told.  With foundations to build upon.  Our key loan signings have turned into permanent deals, and even Rosenberg went ape**** in Germany to make the move happen.  Absolutely mental.

I think my XI is in place.  We need some depth, but we're getting there.  If we can keep this side together, they'll be capable of great things.

For now, I have no intention of taking my foot off the gas pedal, tactically.  The supporters love it.  The neutrals love it.  The lads would lynch me if I tried.  And, we're putting points on the board.  So, who's complaining?  No, Pep The Bald doesn't get a say in this.

We're the new hipsters in town.  

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Premier League Fixtures 1|Premier League Fixtures 2|FA Cup Fixtures|League Cup Fixtures

Champions League 2030/31 Review

Not a whole lot to point out here.  Unai Emery's Barcelona beat Luis Enrique's Manchester City on penalties, after a 3-3 draw through extra time.  Enrique was subsequently sacked, following his 3rd place finish in the League.  The only potentially eligible teams of note were Sporting CP and Atletico, both of whom fell in the quarterfinals.  Monaco were annihilated 11-nil by Fiorentina in the first knockout round, contributing in no small part to their manager being sacked.

0d704d6f44997705523edbb6b900bd5c.jpg c83b040c23b76a370f79e70f37d64c53.jpg

d1df29a28fb43b19109f245975539ef7.jpg

9be5ac3f296284b91d8b5b3b8c1c062c.png c87bb116422e0d7b41eca81566d7c6e1.jpg

Challenge Overview

51fd993fe4e1cc9d8046b761b34f97d7.png

f4d27c8f8df29f8bc87304c22d71e516.png

30 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

At the bar too! Ba-dum-tish.

The ratio of weenis jokes to real updates has hit an all-time high in the last 24 hours...isn't that a category in the annual FMCU awards? Got to aim high!

3 hours ago, Guimy said:

I am not insane, merely a misunderstood genius :(

Hahaha...didn't know that was your username. I swear, the defense are all out of sorts with the movement and pace of play. It is brilliant...in a mad sort of way! I haven't changed things up, I'm having too much fun :cool:

Edited by ManUtd1

You can tell them I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me...

Leeds United

September 2031 - Mini Update

If you repeat this, I'll deny having said it.  But, I'm warming to Leeds.

We played above ourselves last year.  I don't know if we have the depth to manage a domestic and European campaign.  But we're sure as **** going to try.  

We're a young, inconsistent side, but we have the ability to surprise some teams.  And, as a young side, we shouldcome on strong in the 2nd half of the season.

It's a good thing we're busy, so I don't have time to even notice all of the media furor surrounding Apples' wedding to Emma.  The ink is barely dry on our decree of dissolution, and they're already planning the wedding of the year for Florence, in the beauty of the Italian autumn.  That **** Clooney officiating is only making the media circus worse, even with Guy Ritchie doing the wedding photography.  Papa Quintino won't even return my calls.  At least Pietro keeps in touch.

Goals for 2031/32:  Qualify for the Champions League.  Make a run through the Europa League knockout rounds.  (I forgot this in the 2030/31 season recap...)

Europa League draw...the Champions League draw has the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, etc.  We've got a drunk Joey Barton, hawking his new beat poetry live album at every possible opportunity.  It's ****ing awful.

f0eac6ddff66405e1aa4af5f4d4023f2.jpg 886fac40c10923e8fe2c057e02bd3f8c.jpg

0ce4788e493e16d25357e4404f7b0080.jpg a7b932ed3c7b627c4660e8c9993d246e.jpg

A third seed which, given that we've spent the last few years in the purgatory of the Championship...I can't complain.  I like the look of Groups C, E, I and J...

ed49108025e6f6f511747226bd045098.png

Naw...Group L, with Club Brugge, Sevilla and...Nancy.  

e2cbe966139bcd1526ff5b426c243ab3.png

Not the worst draw, by any means.  We should be able to advance.

Not the start I've had in mind.

79a355218ad49cd792926281f7adc684.png

This is the point where I'm tempted to switch tactics.  And when I say tempted, I mean tie-my-hands-behind-my-back-so-I-won't-do-it-oh-no-I-can-still-tap-with-my-nose...

9866911c4d8efd99b59fdc6e4e84f7e1.png

Glad I didn't give in to temptation.  That's a solid run that I'm very pleased with.  6 points from 6 in Europe with a trip to Sevilla next...my 2nd XI with a nice win in the League Cup, and some important points in the League (includnig 3 points against Allegri's Chelsea).  

81847c3f7cb68cf28b98746e5f518ed2.png

There's a lot of work to do, but I'm feeling more optimistic now...

33 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

i always chuckle at the club named "Nancy"

They'll very much be the target of derision if/when I get to France :lol:

4 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I'm going to guess that you'll win the Champions League 3 seasons from now.

I'm very much building towards have a squad that can be competitive at that point.  The @Guimy tactical base is extremely impressive when we're "on" -- the movement on/off the ball, how quickly we're knocking it around, etc.  Carcel completed 140+ passes against Sevilla in a 5-nil win at the Pizjuan (playing deeper and on standard).  It was utterly insane.  I suspect that, as the players continue to develop into their prime, we're going to trample people.

You can tell them I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me...

Leeds United

November 2031 - Mini Update

Our rocky start has proven to be a mere bump in the road.  We're playing brilliant football and, as of early November, have already won our Europa League group and sit a mere 3 points off Pep the Bald's Manchester United.

The fact that Elland Road is half-empty on matchdays is a problem for which there is only one cure.

ef3426da2e80e062a952aba2b2bd2eba.png

57c36165754ddb32cbe7aadc8d023b54.png

49893a54db2803dd1085c3de26fcc30a.png