[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim! MICHAEL!

That's the beauty of the tactic, really. Which is why I'm so frustrated with how poorly it was working with the Czechs. Granted, we didn't have the players to truly make the system work...yet.

Dwight, you ignorant slut!

Considering how diligently you reply to all comments in your thread it does make me wonder, why you 'missed' this post by moi:

If (when probably :D) you get fired from the Czech NT you should just release ALL of the useless Czechs and start over with a new nationality when you get a new NT job. 

Also interesting with the list of authors! Will be looking into reading some books from some of these! 

I mean, I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little-stitious, and do believe you ignored it due to my foreseeing what would actually happen! And when I said "useless Czechs" I basically ment every singe Czech in Stade Reims. :D 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I set the bar low is for limbo.

@Benjoe hahaha...I thought I had!  I definitely find that threads are more enjoyable (and the save certainly is, for me), when there is that interaction.  Even on things tangential to the save itself.  So, I try...I haven't had time to read/comment on other threads lately, though.

Can't release all of the Czechs.  I mean, have you seen Hajek?!  But if I were to get ousted by Hrubes' minions and start up with another nation I'd have to adopt a similar approach which would mean that most of them would be shown the door eventually. 

ManUdt1, you and I are soup snakes. 

That is by far the most pleasing to me as well. Having a thread and share the FM-experience with other like-minded people is very enjoyable. There's also a great mix of different threads to follow! It's hard to follow them all but lately I've actually been able to read a lot more than previous and it really makes FM that much greater. 

Funny, I remember you slated Hajek?!

On 20/3/2017 at 00:18, ManUtd1 said:

He's pretty crap at corners.

And.. I agree. He is utter ****e. Although I must admit, he is quite brave. 

Edited by Benjoe

With his flair, bravery and corner attributes, I would expect nothing less than an avalanche of rabona  if assigned to take corners.

That reminds me, I need to renew my subscription to Rabona Interruptus.

2 hours ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Impressive showing once again! I think I'm gonna study your's and Guido's tactical approaches, since I have 6 AMCs on my team.

Thanks, man! My approach is based heavily on his libero and park the bus tactics, with a dose of the medusa tactic in there. It's a very enjoyable style of play. 6 AMCs would be a great fit!

The place where you made your stand never mattered.  Only that you were there ... and still on your feet.

352f5a2808f5795c74054337cce67ca6.png        Czech_Republic_FA.thumb.png.73464eb90797f8de13685c37875fdff2.png

Stade de Reims / Czech Republic

Champions League Semifinals -- April 2040, First Leg

The first leg, at home against my former club Saint-Etienne.  The old guard is all here, including Toothless Bob clad head-to-toe in a full half-and-half kit.  It's oddly mesmerizing.  Even Apples, Emma and the twins are here, having just celebrated their fourth birthday.

Saint-Etienne are on the verge of winning Ligue 1, 3 points clear of PSG with 3 matches to play.  We’re 11 points back in 3rd.

Since joining Stade de Reims, we’ve played my former charges four times – 1 draw and 3 losses.  Not the kind of record to inspire confidence. 

It’s hard to believe that 3 years have passed since I lifted the Champions League at Saint-Etienne...yet, looking across the pitch, most of their side (including 8 starters and 5 of their subs) were part of the team I built.  To top it off, we'll be playing the second leg in the stadium I insisted be built.  But that's a headache for another day.  We've got big 90 minutes ahead of us.

We’re going to play primarily with our In Catene formation.  I don’t intend to be reactive for 180 minutes, but this is the way we’ll pull off a two-leg win.  Just like against Fiorentina and Madrid.

In the 16th minute, after some tense back-and-forth play, we find our way through.  The hero?  Non other than part-time pirate, full-time footballer Hamza Ziani.

268a2f9fc52b32c3f331aa5137d09d55.jpg 706a3ba5cd0d36825317a2f72c48e452.png 

With a 'stache like that, he'd better be good.

Saint-Etienne promptly switch to an attacking 4231, but Perets keeps us in the match with a big save in the 26th minute.  Ander Sanz was clear on goal, and should have leveled.

038cde8b0cef8c13eb8162a927607e4e.jpg 

We manage to keep Les Verts at bay until halftime...and for the early stages of the second half.  In the 60th, Chamorro begins to tire so I prepare my wave of substitutions.

32b6bb621ee6888115954bfd9a401995.jpg 93be74a9f63bbcc8ca89971a46843b03.jpg

n early lead from part-time pirate, full-time footballer Ziani [goal/screenshot]

But, before I can make a switch...the flagging Chamorro finds one last bit of pace to gain a yard, play in Henrique, who spins to FIND A STREAKING ZIANI IN THE CHANNEL...HE'S CLEAR....

29d60a9aa45426a80ceb492c1fd768a8.jpg

TWO NIL!!!  WHAT A MOVE!!!  FROM NOTHING!!!  CHAMORRO AND HENRIQUE, TO ZIANI THE BANDIT HERO OF REIMS!

Saint-Etienne begin to press with greater urgency, but we hold them off.  Steadfast.  Minutes remain.  Maintaining the shutout is critical.

But we falter.  In the 88th minute, a dangerous cross is whipped into the near post.  Under pressure, Uribe BURIES it our own goal.  Literally the worst ****ing thing he could have done.

d6870f04b0588e24503665170df96e43.jpg

We close the tie out, and keep the score at 2-1.  But, we've gifted Saint-Etienne a lifeline.  Minutes away from a back-breaking first leg...and we've ****ed it.  The 2nd 90 at L'Enfer Vert will be intense.  We've got a lot of work to do.

9d1ef079550840ce4317b3baecfa78e1.jpg 983795a6bc9d17c094c3315e154a160c.jpg

4 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

The place where you made your stand never mattered.  Only that you were there ... and still on your feet.

352f5a2808f5795c74054337cce67ca6.png        Czech_Republic_FA.thumb.png.73464eb90797f8de13685c37875fdff2.png

Champions League Semifinals -- April 2040, First Leg

The first leg, at home against my former club Saint-Etienne.  The old guard is all here, including Toothless Bob clad head-to-toe in a full half-and-half kit.  It's oddly mesmerizing.  Even Apples, Emma and the twins are here, having just celebrated their fourth birthday.

Saint-Etienne are on the verge of winning Ligue 1, 3 points clear of PSG with 3 matches to play.  We’re 11 points back in 3rd.

Since joining Stade de Reims, we’ve played my former charges four times – 1 draw and 3 losses.  Not the kind of record to inspire confidence. 

It’s hard to believe that 3 years have passed since I lifted the Champions League at Saint-Etienne...yet, looking across the pitch, most of their side (including 8 starters and 5 of their subs) were part of the team I built.  To top it off, we'll be playing the second leg in the stadium I insisted be built.  But that's a headache for another day.  We've got big 90 minutes ahead of us.

We’re going to play primarily with our In Catene formation.  I don’t intend to be reactive for 180 minutes, but this is the way we’ll pull off a two-leg win.  Just like against Fiorentina and Madrid.

In the 16th minute, after some tense back-and-forth play, we find our way through.  The hero?  Non other than part-time pirate, full-time footballer Hamza Ziani.

268a2f9fc52b32c3f331aa5137d09d55.jpg 706a3ba5cd0d36825317a2f72c48e452.png 

With a 'stache like that, he'd better be good.

Saint-Etienne promptly switch to an attacking 4231, but Perets keeps us in the match with a big save in the 26th minute.  Ander Sanz was clear on goal, and should have leveled.

038cde8b0cef8c13eb8162a927607e4e.jpg 

We manage to keep Les Verts at bay until halftime...and for the early stages of the second half.  In the 60th, Chamorro begins to tire so I prepare my wave of substitutions.

32b6bb621ee6888115954bfd9a401995.jpg 93be74a9f63bbcc8ca89971a46843b03.jpg

n early lead from part-time pirate, full-time footballer Ziani [goal/screenshot]

But, before I can make a switch...the flagging Chamorro finds one last bit of pace to gain a yard, play in Henrique, who spins to FIND A STREAKING ZIANI IN THE CHANNEL...HE'S CLEAR....

29d60a9aa45426a80ceb492c1fd768a8.jpg

TWO NIL!!!  WHAT A MOVE!!!  FROM NOTHING!!!  CHAMORRO AND HENRIQUE, TO ZIANI THE BANDIT HERO OF REIMS!

Saint-Etienne begin to press with greater urgency, but we hold them off.  Steadfast.  Minutes remain.  Maintaining the shutout is critical.

But we falter.  In the 88th minute, a dangerous cross is whipped into the near post.  Under pressure, Uribe BURIES it our own goal.  Literally the worst ****ing thing he could have done.

d6870f04b0588e24503665170df96e43.jpg

We close the tie out, and keep the score at 2-1.  But, we've gifted Saint-Etienne a lifeline.  Minutes away from a back-breaking first leg...and we've ****ed it.  The 2nd 90 at L'Enfer Vert will be intense.  We've got a lot of work to do.

9d1ef079550840ce4317b3baecfa78e1.jpg 983795a6bc9d17c094c3315e154a160c.jpg

Go get the 2nd W

Champions League Semifinals -- May 2040, Second Leg

Into the second leg.  The first 90 minutes no longer matter.  We're walking headlong into the cannon's mouth, as the seething cauldron of the Robert Herbin stadium waits.  While I've received a respectful welcome in the past -- some would even say warm -- there is none of that tonight.  Tonight the masses want blood, and the Saint-Etienne XI look more than happy to oblige.

I've never seen Toothless Bob this focused.  This angry.  It's a terrifying sight.  If not a little confusing...

Saint-Etienne line up in an attacking 4231...looking to overrun us in front of their home support.  We're playing In Catene from the first whistle, knowing all the work is to be done.  

The first XI was rested over the weekend, resulting in a 2-1 loss to Nice.  But that doesn't matter.  Having already secured a top 4 position, all of our focus was on tonight.  90 minutes.

The first 20 minutes are even, neither side are able to break through.  We win a corner in the 23rd minute...Saint-Etienne clear, but not far enough.  We maintain possession and control, and some quick touches and off-the-ball movement lead to Ziani, the hero of the first leg, twisting to feed Henrique...

7921e9ad8d848fed9a4e39e1823ceebf.jpg

1-NIL!!!  3-1 ON AGGREGATE!!!  We've got them just where we want them.  The away goal nullified, Uribe forgiven...forcing them to attack and leave space that we can exploit.

We remain focused (Uribe...I've got my eye on you...), and refuse to let them get a look at goal.  Halftime, and we're nearly there.  45 minutes to play.  Can we hold on?

e7e7825baaadedb98237717075757b09.jpg

In the 47th minute, Necas intercepts a pass and we launch forward at pace.  Necas finds Henrique, who lays to Ziani, dropping deep...Henrique bursting through...ZIANI FINDS HIM...

a646ea7f21eb9985f8a15c41074f2b9e.jpg

TWO-NIL!!!  WE'LL BE DANCING IN THE STREETS OF STADE DE REIMS TONIGHT!!!  A NIGHTMARE FOR SAINT-ETIENNE!!!  A NIGHTMARE START TO THE 2ND HALF FOR LES VERT!!!  THEY NEED 4 GOALS NOW, HAVING BARELY HAD A LOOK AT GOAL ALL NIGHT!!

Saint-Etienne's pressure is immense.  Yet they can't find a way through.  We remain solid at the back.  30 minutes to play.  The life is going out of the match, as surely as Saint-Etienne are going out of the tournament. 

Until the 67th minute.

Until Eteme launches a cross from  deep on the right...a truly optimistic ball, at best...which somehow finds Sokol Kazaki streaking through...

591ce8395f0c4fd90f0a2927c2f8acf2.jpg

Saint-Etienne have pulled one back!  Why didn’t Perets come to claim it?!?!  He stood frozen on his line, the useless ****.  I have half a mind to yank him.  There’s life yet in Saint-Etienne, as the crowd regains its focus…but is there enough time on the clock?

Despite being under siege, we hold solid.  

For all of five minutes.

c7cc3ae97db63edccc3a5964a9ca5d12.jpg

Eteme wide right again, whips the ball into Sanz at the near post.  Disaster...minutes earlier, the tie was dead.  Now, Saint-Etienne have found a new hope.  And we're level on the night.  They only need two more.  

18 minutes plus stoppage time to play.  This is a gut-check moment if there ever was one.

But that isn't the end.  Oh, no.  Saint-Etienne are rocking.  L'Enfer Vert in full voice.  This is a dangerous moment.

Straight from kickoff, the ball is played back to Necas, who immediately presses forward hoping to catch Saint-Etienne napping…

4d7a6c594ee3c65d555468c438ad7016.jpg

WHERE’S THE CONCENTRATION?!?!?  ZIANI!!!  The hero!  3-2 on the night!  5-3 on aggregate!  And, just like that, we seize control of the tie back from Les Verts!  Less than a minute after surrendering what seemed like a soul-crushing goal...now, Saint-Etienne are the ones stunned by the course of the match!  They need 3!  An impossible task!

But that's not the end of the drama.

In the 80th minute, Saint-Etienne play the ball into Kazaki, just inside our half...he spins and leaves Duval for dead...he's through, past LuaLua...buries it.  3-3.  ****ing Hell, lads!!!

f83044d239fd4eb7e682fcfdfa4b324b.jpg

They still need 2 goals.  But, all of a sudden, that doesn't seem so improbable.  10 minutes plus stoppage time remain. 

I bring Marek on for Duval.  We've got to hold.  88th minute.  Kazaki whistled for offside.

284815675a142bc19bde5011d0d338a5.jpg

We're nearly there.…2 minutes of stoppage time…AND THAT’S THE MATCH!!!  3-3 ON THE NIGHT, 5-4 ON AGGREGATE!!!

0a4c011f53c9a3548a26b8dbee9c9c9f.jpg e55f7da72b661f72bc4a5657604c68fa.jpg

Against the odds, we've done it!  We're through to the Stade de France!!!  What the **** is going on?!?!!?

eab77d5fabadf427143f459fd9e51b3a.png

71d1fbde49d531b6fb3b86c250736ce1.png

Edited by ManUtd1
Typos. Typos everywhere.

Whoa!  We'll face Roy Beerens' West Ham United, who eliminated two-time-defending champions Manchester City!

0c372c49d29f61b4060d17c19ee321b0.jpg

fbaa4b10636ce6ea15ef698b4c5033bb.png 

I love it!!!

Or...do I.  ****.  We can't win this match!  It'll ruin my Czech plans. :seagull:

It's getting late, so the Final will have to wait until tomorrow...2 league matches to get through, and I want to do it right.

:lol:

Wow what a tie - everything it promised when drawn and more, I'm sure the neutrals (and the SdR fans) enjoyed that! And that final... you'll either finish off Stade de Reims challenge earlier than expected or create a new eligible team!

4 hours ago, Rikulec said:

What an intense second leg.

It was an extremely...eventful (?)...commute home last night.  Whew!

3 hours ago, andychar said:

So for the first time you would actively add a new team to the list and a return to English football! 

We've actually added a few (City, PSG and Nice at the club level, Turkey and Mexico at the national level), but this would be the first in what seems like a very long time, and the first with that particular double-whammy!   Even if West Ham isn't a particularly "romantic" side to manage...it's an unexpected destination, that I wouldn't have chosen myself.

3 hours ago, Akkarin said:

Wow what a tie - everything it promised when drawn and more, I'm sure the neutrals (and the SdR fans) enjoyed that! And that final... you'll either finish off Stade de Reims challenge earlier than expected or create a new eligible team!

After we hit the 2nd, it seemed all but over...not by a long shot.  What a manic match!  Yep -- that's exactly right.  Finish off the Stade de Reims portion of the save...creating a new eligible side AND laying waste to my plans for the Czech Republic.  As with before, though, I have to play to win it...and see what fate RNGeebus has in store for me.  It'll come tonight -- another long day ahead.

3 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

That is incredible.

Telleus is going to party with #DropTheHammar tonight.

#CaptainF'inAhab

Thanks for readings and commenting, guys -- all of you!

Edited by ManUtd1

A massive rise in Kurt Zouma's fortunes...from managing my U19s at Saint-Etienne to United in 5 years.

8efb051f4abd43d77e9c7c8da74113a1.jpg

I taught him everything he knows.

[Ed. - ok, time for work.  Next substantive update will be this evening my time, with the final]

I'm all at sea. Obviously want to see you do well, but I'd hate for West Ham to be an eligible team, and the other choice is for them to win the CL.

“You’ve met with a terrible fate, haven’t you?”

31 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm all at sea. Obviously want to see you do well, but I'd hate for West Ham to be an eligible team, and the other choice is for them to win the CL.

“You’ve met with a terrible fate, haven’t you?”

:lol:

Spot on.  There is no good outcome.  Plus, if I win, the Czech project is dealt a serious blow in terms of player development.  I bent the so-called "rules" of the save with Sparta Praha and didn't like it.  I can't stay at Reims if I win, even though I'd want to for the sake of the Czechs.

This is a win-win final, eh? Either you get to stay at Stade de Reims and continue your Czech project, or you get to add a new team to the list!

Your continued dominance is amazing. I wish I could get anywhere close to your performances.

5 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

A massive rise in Kurt Zouma's fortunes...from managing my U19s at Saint-Etienne to United in 5 years.

8efb051f4abd43d77e9c7c8da74113a1.jpg

I taught him everything he knows.

[Ed. - ok, time for work.  Next substantive update will be this evening my time, with the final]

He even won the Europa League!

38 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

This is a win-win final, eh? Either you get to stay at Stade de Reims and continue your Czech project, or you get to add a new team to the list!

Your continued dominance is amazing. I wish I could get anywhere close to your performances.

Thanks, man!  I wish I could claim brilliance beaming from my forehead, but it's just the graft learned from far, far too many hours spent playing this game over the years.  Tactically, @Guimy and @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! have been the source of my strikerless and Sacchi-esque approaches.  I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants.

4 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

He even won the Europa League!

Kurt Zooooouuuuuuma!  Thighs the size of a horse!!!  The whole horse, no less!

Alright...I unexpectedly have some free time, so am ducking out to grab a bite to eat.  During which I'll get this Final played.  I won't be able to "live update" things, as that takes too long.  But, the match is coming.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

What we do in life echoes in eternity

Champions League Final, Pre-Match -- May 2040, Stade de France

The tournament some say we shouldn't even be involved in, but reached by default.  The final.  Stade de France.  An incredible opportunity to vanquish the ghosts of the past, far sooner than any sane person would have expected.

71ff66144ea2b5cdf7d8584b455da12b.jpg

aerial-view-of-the-stade-de-france--citi 7b66d9c85b27410f410410e0b0f3182e.jpg

Truly a unique final, given the "upstart" status of both sides.  Neither favored to advance far, much less to the final itself.  History will be made here tonight, one way or another.

b1fda97dd57654ecf42da1732e8b5985.png

05a07b284641341394a87ba44cd0221c.png

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

866f7464fa097a84beb99e34df5ab0d9.jpg 8c813bbb06cfc27f2c5dfea3e7d2a206.jpg

We will be playing PM Libre 2.0.  There is no reason to play the deeper, more conservative/reactionary In Catene.

An epic, historic moment.

Champions League Final, First Half -- May 2040, Stade de France

Both sides begin the match with some measure of caution.  Neither side committing players forward.  West Ham, in particular, seeming to play a very reactive 4231.

The first 25 minutes pass with little of interest to report.  The battles are being fought in midfield, neither side able to gain a foothold.

fd40165668f24697882df067ca98d8d2.jpg

We are ineffective going forward, as West Ham refuse to give us any space to move into.  We have yet to spring our attackers from deep, or gain any meaningful look at goal.

The good news is that we’ve kept them from any decent look at goal, whatsoever.  This is a dull, dull match for the neutrals.  And, if they have to Michael Owen drone on about horse racing any longer, there will be certain, serious consequences.

Disaster strikes in the 40th minute.

b7ccc7d309c84e66439df48b8a4fc4f9.jpg

Miroslav Necas, our big signing, the engine room of our midfield...injured.  He refuses to come off the pitch, this being the biggest match of his young career.  I silently pray that he can shake it.  We've got Serge Boyer on the bench, a steady hand at the tiller, but he's no Necas.

The halftime whistle blows.  Nothing has changed.  Necas has to be carried off the pitch, in tears.  He knows his night is done.  Boyer will have to step in.

f0fab51568565131b227bb9eb790d9eb.jpg

Champions League Final, Second Half -- May 2040, Stade de France

Level at the half is just fine by me.  They haven't threatened, and we're the more dangerous side.

Something has to change.  A single spark could set the entire match ablaze.  This is our time, lads.  Get stuck in!!!

West Ham kick off the 2nd 45', and burst out of the gate with more attacking intent than we've seen all match...some incisive, aggressive ball movement finds Brady on the byline...

15f1b1f257b69dc16284b022be28edbb.jpg 69c77188296c82d1bd6db2a615f5a2b0.jpg

He centers for Jorge...but Perets saves!  Immense save from the young Israeli.  We need to wake the **** up, or we're done for.

We regain our focus.  The immediate threat has passed.

60 minutes gone, and still neither side has managed to pierce the other's defensive lines.  Jorge's header is the closest either side have come.  We begin to tweak.

Navratil to come on for the tiring Boskovic.  Rafael and Kaufman are warming up, with one to come on up front to give us fresh legs going forward.  That little bit of extra something may just drag us over the line.

f76502ea7b35f2ecfe118e6b8cab9901.jpg

In the 67th minute, Boyer finds himself in space and turns to launch a ball for Chamorro, the Spaniard a step clear in the channel...

f100e122551c90d7dc3a8a772f474c03.jpg

But West Ham recover to block.  That will be Chamorro's last touch.  I've elected to bring on Kaufman, my young Czech stallion.  West Ham have retreated into themselves, very defensive in shape and mentality.

30d490af6f85c9e9435a0efd61d4acb8.jpg

Less than 15 to play.  Nothing for the neutral supporters to cheer.

In the 83rd minute, Navratil picks his head up to find his countryman breaking into space...he dinks it over the top...

Tc5dc9eba8ab8ab9f61673b33e1cd9cfd.jpg af0b17edc4cc6bee1bb7159fb174c0f4.jpg

This is the moment he was brought on for...West Ham collapse on Kaufman who, at full flight, LAUNCHES A BLAST FROM 20 YARDS...

d2049db50e0b229c9885910129e23a3f.jpg

Wide.  Our best chance of the match, and the youngster couldn't put it on the frame.  Get back on your ****ing feet, son!!!

2 minutes of injury time.

535c6bb380c1a8cf2a457e9d92c49f04.jpg

No matter.  West Ham have ceased any effort to play football, defending valiantly, denying us any real chances, but not making any attempt to push forward themselves.  This has every look of extra time and penalties...and, extra time it shall be.  The margins are thin, but we're in control.  We're the only side looking to win the match outright.  West Ham are playing for penalties at this point.  

Russell Brand is apoplectic in the stands.  He simply cannot take the intensity of the moment.

1f575c529b0c874813e04db7ec4bcf71.jpg

Champions League Final, Extra Time -- May 2040, Stade de France

Dire.  Dire football.  Everywhere.  Tired legs, combined with one side who has the aesthetic footballing approach of a horny, starving Rhinocerous, and this is what you get.  We're playing brilliantly, but cannot connect the final pass.

fde99de923e865138734f0c05253b54f.jpg

The first 15 are utterly dire.  We need a spark.  Cue a few tactical tweaks, to try and give us a little something going forward.  Absent that spark, the lottery of penalties is inevitable.

The final 15 open.  Heavy, tired legs everywhere.  Kaufman works to recover the ball in mid-field…lays it to Henrique who has dropped deep.  Henrique picks his head up and FINDS ZIANI BREAKING THROUGH…WEST HAM BEGGING FOR OFFSIDE, BUT ZIANI HAS BEEN PLAYED ON BY HORAK!  WHAT A SHAMBLES FOR WEST HAM…

c543d010904f9c92678fe3ff52551fd2.jpg

Ziani is in full flight...his mustache trailing gloriously behind him with the pace of his passage through the West Ham defense...

572e412c23b0ce3269e11ae118bbdb41.jpg 3d254b6a0b3f89a77d6d58e08c35fe3e.jpg

PAGE WITH THE SAVE OF THE MATCH TO DENY ZIANI!!!  Horak’s blushes are spared.  Ziani is cramping, but the ball is still in play, he's back on his feet now...

But that is our final chance.  The match continues to die a slow, dire death.  West Ham do not even feign interest in attacking any more.  This match will be decided by penalties.

1161ef39b7931b9a7585b93d2a6e22e4.jpg

Echoes of '22 when Malmo triumphed on penalties at the Bernabeu.  With any luck, the spirit of that side is with us tonight.

Champions League Final, Penalties (Rounds 1-2) -- May 2040, Stade de France

This is it.  120 minutes of "football" boiled down to this.  This lottery.  The moment when one side will claim the glories and accolades due, while the other will be left wondering "what if?"  

It's now or never.  West Ham win the toss.  They'll kick first.

First Round

Spoiler

Hughes steps forward for West Ham...confident.  Is that a tremor in his right eye?!

cabaab684ec6f60ce07143796fcb1c8c.gif 

PERETS A MASSIVE SAVE, FLYING TO HIS RIGHT LIKE THE SALMON OF CAPISTRANO!!!

Henrique will take the first kick for Stade de Reims...

6f64344da9e56de2a0dcc1f8c80698d2.gif 

YES!!!!  BURIED LOW TO THE RIGHT!!! ADVANTAGE TO STADE DE REIMS!!!

Reims lead 1-0.

Second Round

Spoiler

Bilbao steps forward for West Ham...

9494ca78f359fdfd2836f6b0422134b7.gif 

...and he makes no mistake.  Fired into the top left corner.  That’s a bold penalty, executed brilliantly.

Young Tomas Kaufman is next for Reims...not a hint of nerves on his face, in this massive, massive moment.

71a5b338c49c69e38e70ff394ef90f5d.gif 

...and he curls it into the left side-netting! The keeper nearly got there.  Nervy penalty from the young Czech, but it pays off. 

Reims lead 2-1.

3 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Alright...I unexpectedly have some free time, so am ducking out to grab a bite to eat.  During which I'll get this Final played.  I won't be able to "live update" things, as that takes too long.  But, the match is coming.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

Hammer(s) time!

Champions League Final, Penalties (Rounds 3-?) -- May 2040, Stade de France

My brain is melting...

Third Round

Spoiler

Horak…the Czech midfielder who Telleus knows so well is next...Telleus is gesturing to his keeper...

e139061e8707065fa99dd5ee5b5764a8.gif 

WHAT A TERRIBLE PENALTY…a lazy worm-squisher to Perets’ right, the Israeli simply shuffles over to pick it up casually!!!   Telleus pumps his fist on the sideline, saluting Perets in goal!

Ziani now...with the chance to give Stade de Reims a nearly insurmountable lead…his eyes ice cold, his mustache resolute…

a7787c2df4757d4f419531ac48f047e7.gif 

WHAT A SAVE FROM PAGE!  HE’S DONE IT AGAIN!  SINGLE-HANDEDLY KEEPING WEST HAM IN THE MATCH!!! 

Reims still lead, 2-1.

Fourth Round

Spoiler

Brady up next for West Ham...the pressure truly is on now, as West Ham need to bury their penalties and hope that the nerves get to Reims…

f2a4f9220db7ef78c67b967d7099540f.gif 

BUT PERETS DENIES HIM!!!  THE ISRAELI IS HAVING A BLINDER!, HAVING HAD LITTLE TO DO ALL MATCH, HE'S STEPPED UP WHEN CALLED UPON!!  IN THE BIGGEST MOMENTS OF HIS YOUNG CAREER, HE’S REPAYING THE MANAGER’S FAITH!!!  LEAVING IT NOW TO HIS TEAMMATES, WHO SIMPLY MUST SCORE ONE OF THEIR LAST 2 PENALTIES TO SECURE VICTORY HERE AT THE STADE DE FRANCE…

Granero to take…the young Spaniard steps forward, defiant…looking to secure his second Champions League title under Telleus…perhaps the single biggest kick of his young career…a Telleus product, through and through...can he hold his nerve...

35511ec9a91910b22af1c316dbcfb1cc.gif 

YES HE CAN!!!!  

YES!!!!! HE’S DONE IT!!! TELLEUS’ MEN HAVE DONE IT!!!

YET ANOTHER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TITLE!!!  IN A COMPETITION, THEY QUALIFIED FOR BY DEFAULT!!!  DEFAULT!!! WHAT AN AMAZING WORD!!!  FROM DEFAULT, TO GLORY, THE HAKAN TELLEUS WAY!!!

Fifth Round

Spoiler

This space intentionally left blank.

Additional Rounds (if necessary)

Spoiler

This space intentionally left blank.

Final

Spoiler

Holy ****.  I have no words.  That took much longer than expected.  Back to other stuff, and on my phone for a few hours.

Holy ****!!!  Talk about unexpected, this entire run.  Way before I was ready for it.  All of my plans are in tatters.

#SpiritOf22 #HammarDropped

6ae9644841a607e3bad2ab9f778804a8.jpg 

177fb10aaf78d59e661d32b194963f83.png 

321feafb1d93f85178d276d0aa975765.png 

If you play anti-football like they did, then you deserve to lose in the worst way possible - penalties. Good job with SdR.

Another Champions League win, another eligible team and your plans completely altered. This is great for the narrative.

3 minutes ago, mjaferrie said:

Bring them all with you! :D

That will depend entirely on where I land...I don't even know what positions might be available!

2 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

If you play anti-football like they did, then you deserve to lose in the worst way possible - penalties. Good job with SdR.

Another Champions League win, another eligible team and your plans completely altered. This is great for the narrative.

It is great in that sense, no doubt.  

I've a mind to head to Germany or Spain, given my brief time at Morkeebeegerback and not having been in Spain at all, thus far.  We'll see.  Greece or Serbia wouldn't be ideal at this point, given the Czech development focus.

3 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

That will depend entirely on where I land...I don't even know what positions might be available!

It is great in that sense, no doubt.  

I've a mind to head to Germany or Spain, given my brief time at Morkeebeegerback and not having been in Spain at all, thus far.  We'll see.  Greece or Serbia wouldn't be ideal at this point, given the Czech development focus.

#justice4junter

54 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

Cue scenes... and record consumption of champagne! Congratulations!!

38 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

#justice4junter

18 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

They played all game for penalties and then they were ***** at them!! :lol:

Great to win but as you've mentioned it's a bit of a double edged sword. I'm sure you'll work something out.

Thanks, guys...poor Junter.  He never realized his comic potential.  It's an absolute tragedy.

I'll be moving along tonight, in hopes of landing a job soon so that I can at least loan in some of the Czechs for the coming year, if not sign a few outright.  If I can't develop players, there's no way we're going to progress with the national team.

[Edit: of course there is a way to progress.  I'm just bitter that my conveyor-belt approach was disrupted so gloriously, and am thus being a tad dramatic.]

Edited by ManUtd1

The hardest thing I've ever had to do is say goodbye and walk slowly away from you...

2039/40 Season Review

Like my time in Germany, this chapter has come to an end far sooner than I would have liked.  The side was in dire need of some guidance, but little work was required.  The pieces were largely here.

Stade de Reims has been truly a joy, in every respect.

At least I can leave with my head held high -- European champions, club debts cleared and a 16k expansion in the works.  Not to mention the phalanx of young, legal Czechs being left behind.

We didn't even belong in the Champions League in the first place.  Honestly.  We fluked it.  But, given the opportunity, we stood up and demanded that we be counted.

There really isn't much that can be said.  It is time to move on.  This hurts.

Goals for 2040/41: Begin to blood the Czech youngsters with the national side; prepare for the transition back to strikerless.  Reestablish my young, legal Czech "import" "business" as soon as possible.

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Ligue Un Fixtures 1|Ligue Un Fixtures 2|Champions League Fixtures|Coupe de France Fixtures|Coupe de la Ligue Fixtures

Champions League 2039/40 Review

Just a few screenshots since this is so thoroughly documented above.  Fun fact: the Champions League is the only trophy I won at Stade de Reims.  Bonkers.  Equally crazy is the addition of West Ham to the list of eligible clubs.  Should make for an interesting journey...

dac47f8e8ad58c69b22d8ac82ee3f253.jpg

ac166aa11663c5d4b5a9be76d23facc1.png

Challenge Overview

fb0cbbd3a46f42dbceff1b2191f25b19.png

ee019cd0b7b8c56bd059f92cfeb3af7a.png

2 minutes ago, alaouskie said:

Who are you going to next?

I have to wait and see what eligible club shows up...I've played through the Euros on the train (about to be posted), but nothing is available as of late July.  So, we're playing a bit of a waiting game.

Ideally, I think it's back to Italy or Germany (Rome, Leverkusen or Frankfurt, since Sampdoria were relegated in June).  Spain would be a great option, too, since I have yet to manage in La Liga.

2040 European Championships Review

Switzerland / Austria

This really didn't interst me all that much.  Until I saw the final -- Pep the Bald's Germany against Gerard Pique's Spain.  Beautiful.  But not as beautiful as the final scoreline.

It's shame that the same can't be said for Shakira's post-plastic surgery face...no one has ever figured out that night in Valencia, and most still blame Mr. Leto.  Her hips, though?  Yep.  Still very honest.

e0eb36ec68b3e0fc53036bde975feed2.jpg 0369930b428d2ba17334e11f70329053.jpg

Ze Germans fail to register a single shot, much less one on goal.

Gerard is the new Pep.  Up is the new down. Shakira is the new Cher.

Thus spaketh the Telleus.  And thus it shall be.

6d3969edc1616d75c3271d07d44ec403.png

e38bcf5f855db32e3bc417f43eb06db6.png ab9a71b4623377dc807c135a7233f9cf.png

39 minutes ago, alaouskie said:

I will make the call for Ludwigs assassination 

Hahaha...he's my right hand man!

I've hit mid-September, no openings as of yet. It'll likely be December, unless someone truly craters.

I will readily admit this.  After leaving Stade de Reims, I was struggling to find the motivation to continue on with the Czech Republic.  September rolled around, finalized my squad...Belgium up first, the same Belgium that annihilated us in the Spring.  Not feeling it.  And then...this happens.

f637f8ef2a7772f4c48498e0dca108bd.jpg 94a095f351ff6cd8cb894d81bfad1c87.jpg 

d329fcec9f7844b9a8dc52afe121c679.png 

What the actual ****?  This is surreal.  

Suck it, Hrubes!  Bring on the October fixtures!