[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

Max Christ is a great name. Great man, he is. Indeed. Please give him your trust; he won't let you down. We know you've got a God com-- uh, we know that you're a deeply empathic man who likes to surround himself with similarly great men, and as thus we are happy to, uh, see him join your backroom staff. Yes. Just give him all of the important jobs. Thank you.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Some say that Hakan has a God complex, but this is just taking the ****.

f7cf72c3a05079ab2a9caaacf99ca53d.png

He's actually my new physio...which amuses me.

dc92170f502264c2dfdee22b24fa5849.png 

Best thing about this is that he's a physio. He can raise the dead if he wants, never mind just curing a sprained ankle.

@kidthekid & @Adonalsium :lol:

@Fer Fuchs Ake That is exactly what amuses me so much...at Bayer Leverkusen, of all places! Forget the drugs, lay on the hands!  Granted, the players were a little less thrilled with this new policy once they learned we weren't hiring a bunch of female physios.  Get focused, lads.  We've got a match today.

4 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I don't know what's the most pressing issue, should I be impressed you already completed the challenge with Reims, or impressed that you've managed to hire Christ.

I totally lowballed him in negotiations, too. Got him for only $1.9k/week. He was WAY too trusting. 

I'm going straight to the place with the eternal burning, aren't I?  Hold on, now...this isn't the spa package I ordered! I said pedicure! Pedicure!

Finally into matches, that I'm playing in full (I usually instant result/sim league matches at the club level, playing only European and "big" domestic matches).  The friendlies mean nothing, of course, but we've been very effective thus far:

b43f1596e2324d7a5363d1e1d86ebe4a.png 

365c01318f1f155c874b1f177385bb69.jpg 

Goal is a mid-table finish this year, and a Europa Leeague spot next.

56 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Don't annoy him, you don't want him turning gatorade into wine, your players start playing sluggishly in a champions league final

Our keeper is suddenly a leper, etc...

So much for that tremendous start to my tenure at Leverkusen...

d2d9b094b9e74241dd1a21400c80b524.png 

c81e67c5e17c8b4fd3c6a09d1f90ab4a.jpg 

Reality is sinking in.  We're not a strong side.  There is a lot of work to be done.

Edited by ManUtd1

A 1-0 loss away to Ingolstadt has resulted in this...

579a76cab5d1ba2b57815e208f7537b3.png 

I only promised the Board we'd avoid relegation...but this is turning sour quickly.  Echoes of the early days at Fiorentina and Czechs.

Just now, Keano16 said:

Hope you can stick in the there.

Amen.  We promptly lost to 10th place Frankfurt.  2-0.  At home.  It's a slow-motion track wreck at the moment.

Our next match is away at Mainz.  A must win?  Oddly enough, my 2nd XI keeps doing the business in the cup.

5785ce72d809431fb4f8ed8dbaf387f5.jpg 

Just now, Rikulec said:

At least there's still the play-off if you finish 16th.

Exactly.  We're 6 points clear of automatic relegation, but that is tenuous.  Braunschweig could be the biggest match of the year.

A massive win over Koln, out of nowhere...before we revert to form against Wolfsburg...and then knock off Nurnberg.

73f96fb1008d40b3b9620004e26dbd9e.jpg 3043c8ba79a528049e3b67227c7d326f.jpg 01ce6f81e3c0eb63942411a202b0664a.jpg 

554db3ea1281c31af35c7cd1decc46ee.jpg 

Mainz have managed a few wins of their own, so we're basically doomed to the playoff.  4 points (or 5 to catch Nurnberg) seems highly unlikely with only 4 matches left...including matches against Bayern and Morkeyborkey.  Schalke and Braunschweig are winnable, but those 6 points likely won't be enough.

6 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Man, if Hakan can't do for them Leverkusen really are the jinxiest club ever.

We were eliminated from the cup and hammered in the league by Bayern, while Mainz drew at home to Dortmund. 5 points back, with 3 to play. There's no way we're avoiding the playoffs at this point. Had to run out immediately after the match, and am on my phone for a few hours.

RNGeebus has forsaken me. We'll see how things shape up this evening. We're genuinely awful.

Not sure signing with Christ was a good idea. I mean, we all know, how it ended for him on a cross and all. Soon that'll be you. You'll be screaming for help.

"Hush, my dear, this is our destiny" he'll say, as he is hanging next to you. 

Meanwhile at the recording room of Channel A, the One True Channel...

[Cameraman zooms into a close-up of the news anchor's face] ... and finally, this just in, hundreds of AdoCorp operatives were reportedly spotted rushing out of their headquarters in high spirits!

[The shot cuts into a view of the anchor's sidekick] "Indeed they were, pal! And it's funny that you said 'spirits', because eyewitness reports state that they were heading straight towards the pub!"

[Returning to the news anchor, who flashes a big grin] "It's going to be one profitable night for that pub's owner. We've got Pat on the ground to interview an eyewitness, Pat, you on the line?"

[The view cuts into a dead-serious still photo of Pat the journalist] "Indeed I am, old chum! I've got Jenny here who saw the onslaught first-hand, Jenny, tell us what you saw."

[A somewhat winded female voice pipes up in the audio feed] "It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. Dozens, no, hundreds of people - they streamed out of the building, some running, some walking on all fours, anything really! 'Twas like a madhouse! People running, laughing as if they'd just won the lottery. I almost though that they'd gone m--"

[Back to the anchor] "Thank you. I think that's enough, the lady's clearly stressed! I've just received-- This just in!" [muttering] There's a message... 'Repeat after m'--, not that one? Shucks--"

[a long, awkward pause]

"... I see. Yes." [turning to face the camera] "Yes, it has turned out that the previously described event didn't, in fact, happen! Quite a prankster, that lady was! Ha-ha, yes indeed."

[another long, awkward pause]

[barely audible in the background] "You're fired."

Edited by Adonalsium

We'll face Hamburg.  180 minutes to save my tenure at Leverkusen...or, at the very least, to leave it an open question.

03ffa16f5d1a348e1c5887817d087270.png 

This is by no means a favorable draw.  I beat them in March, but...anything can happen.

6 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Not sure signing with Christ was a good idea. I mean, we all know, how it ended for him on a cross and all. Soon that'll be you. You'll be screaming for help.

"Hush, my dear, this is our destiny" he'll say, as he is hanging next to you. 

That was ... bleak ... even for this thread!  :lol:

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Just like being back in Leeds...

The early days in Yorkshire were pretty rough.

4 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

[barely audible in the background] "You're fired."

An entirely plausible outcome, even if I manage to get these bags of bone to put together 180 minutes against Hamburg.

I'm at a complete loss for words.  15 minutes left, we were coasting.  Then we lose our collective minds -- give away a penalty, followed by a 2nd goal moments later.  We then miss three penalties.

2779623528091147586b7b9351547404.jpg 

5ea790db062cb82de85027651ab79c2c.png 

4815f7af922a1c2306c0442d7853481e.png 

The kicker?  After giving me a transfer budget of 0, they announced a $40M transfer budget for next season...moments before firing me.

d8085c968e0f370538064271e33fa7b2.png 

You're only as good as your last mistake

Image result for drunk elmo

2040/41 Season Review

2040/41 can go **** itself.

No transfer budget to save our top tier status, but $40M to my successor?!   In the second tier?!  Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

What's that...?!

You can **** right off, Leverkusen.  Just **** right off.  As for you, Sammer, I hope a shark tries to suck your ****.

I've always liked Mönchengladbach better anyways.

I miss Junter.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Champions League 2040/41 Review

Leeds and City in the final.  Boring.  No, don't mind me.  I'm still bitter.

7e22d500348f9eedc3f1442ed8e02c88.jpg 4a44f93d66f8d69e61e1455faf8b75dc.jpg

3fb3c353e62289a75694be358c010e7e.jpg

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Challenge Overview

eb7c6f7ff244fcb57140c004e0230802.png

cb004301b1c82016c4f636cac90f99f6.png

Edited by ManUtd1

3 minutes ago, alaouskie said:

Welp... Were to next? Maybe Roma or Valencia if they become open

Italy or Spain would be outstanding.  There's nothing open right now, though.

edf4a019a806b660428639a23db808d0.png 

Brugge fired their manager in late Spring, so that isn't going to open up anytime soon.

In terms of the narrative, though, maybe now is the perfect time to go to Serbia or Greece.  Redemption by building up a minor side.

But...Partizan rarely opens up.  Can't count on either one of them happening soon.

We'll see.

Hi, just curious to know what computer you have and how much time do you have to spend waiting for the next in-game day? 

Leverkusen will definetly regret that, do you have the Bundesliga 2 loaded? 

Thanks on beforehand

8 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

That was ... bleak ... even for this thread!  :lol:

I take that as a compliment!

But it also seems my prophecy has come true, sadly. Just wait, Max Christ will soon be the new manager. 

10 hours ago, kidthekid said:

wow, what an unexpected turn of events, but it makes another twist in a great story

7 hours ago, Akkarin said:

Holy mother... did not see that coming at all! Might be a while till you can go back around those parts (and therefore the challenge will go on :D )

onwards and upwards :onmehead:

5 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Woah. I didn't really count that as a possibility. Bummer.

5 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

AdoCorp's plans have been a success, it seems. So far.

Just so you know, I think the hipster gods deserted you. Strikerless or relegated.

An extremely unexpected turn of events...even after I saw how crap the side was.  I figured we'd avoid the bottom 3 without too much trouble, and even when the playoff seemed inevitable I thought we'd be fine...especially after a solid 2-0 lead after the first leg, and strong first 45 in the 2nd.  That was utterly insane.

Pride goes before the fall, eh?

Onwards and upwards...at some point, I'll return to Leverkusen and annihilate them.  At another, I'll return and lead them to glory.

4 hours ago, BathCity said:

Hi, just curious to know what computer you have and how much time do you have to spend waiting for the next in-game day? 

Leverkusen will definetly regret that, do you have the Bundesliga 2 loaded? 

Thanks on beforehand

I've got an Eluktronics (custom build) laptop, 4k UHD screen, 16G RAM, Intel i7 quad-pro processor with a SSD.  It hums along quite nicely for a laptop...unemployed, it takes about 5 seconds to process a normal day in August 2041 (that's time from pressing continue, waiting for it to reset itself)

I do not have the Bundesliga.2 or any 2nd tier divisions loaded.  As a long-term save, I didn't want the bloat that comes along with them.

3 hours ago, Benjoe said:

I take that as a compliment!

But it also seems my prophecy has come true, sadly. Just wait, Max Christ will soon be the new manager. 

I always knew he was scheming against me...

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Is it wrong that I'd have had Leverkusen on the tracker as "**** 'em!"?

They're definitely on my **** list.

2 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Brutal. I wouldn't wish that collapse of anyone. (Well, maybe Bobby Manc...)

Thanks, man -- definitely Bobby Manc...who's probably laughing his head off.  There's only one way to repay that...  No, Ludwig...enough with the metal folding chairs.

1 hour ago, mjaferrie said:

Found out.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

:ackter:

7 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I've got an Eluktronics (custom build) laptop, 4k UHD screen, 16G RAM, Intel i7 quad-pro processor with a SSD.  It hums along quite nicely for a laptop...unemployed, it takes about 5 seconds to process a normal day in August 2041 (that's time from pressing continue, waiting for it to reset itself)

Thanks, man -- definitely Bobby Manc...who's probably laughing his head off.  There's only one way to repay that...  No, Ludwig...enough with the metal folding chairs.

Oh how I'd love to get through a day in five seconds. Takes me ages with my laptop but there you go. If you ever decide to part with it. :brock:

I have a vague recollection of an incident with a certain Latina singer....

Ooh...in late September, Valencia are sitting 15th, Partizan are 9th.  The rest of the eligible clubs are performing roughly as expected (e.g., Roma/Atletico/Brugge in 2nd, Sampdoria in 13th (having just promoted back into Serie A)).

We'll have to see what happens...