[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

44 minutes ago, alaouskie said:

I was doing a save at Pana and got 2 superstars after 2 years then have freak facilities which is great

Cool, how good are they? And if they're already like 5 star players at 16/17 years old are they willing to sign new deals with the club? 

In wich country and at what level do they play? I don't have the best of knowledge of countries outside of Sweden and the ''big countries'' 

Good luck

Edited by BathCity

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Leverkusen got promoted back to the Bundesliga so you can get some revenge over them with Frankfurt.

Frankfurt's on my list of teams to manage at some point, it's been a very long time since I last managed in the Bundesliga and they're one of the few German sides I don't hate with enough passion to prevent me from ever taking over.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

Hopefully Leverkusen got promoted back to the Bundesliga so you can get some revenge over them with Frankfurt.

Frankfurt's on my list of teams to manage at some point, it's been a very long time since I last managed in the Bundesliga and they're one of the few German sides I don't hate with enough passion to prevent me from ever taking over.

They did get promoted, so we'll be facing them soon. I don't recall where those matches are in the fixture list offhand, though. Crazy week here, I haven't even progressed through the summer yet.

I'd highly recommend Der Adler for a save. There's something intangible about them, that I'm enjoying greatly thus far.

Speaking of Greeks, @alaouskie and @BathCity, my top goalscorer last season (with...err...9 goals) was Greek and pretty solid. Mainz met his 22.5M release clause, and his wage demands to stay were unreal (especially in light of that goal tally). I'll screenshot him later.

@BoxToBox and @Adonalsium :lol:

In my strikerless dabbles, I don't really have clear top scorers. Everyone in the attacking third contributes - mainly the 2 SS's and the EG - in scoring a **** ton of goals. I always top the "goals scored" chart by a huge margin, but the top goalscorer awards usually go to somebody else.

11 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

In my strikerless dabbles, I don't really have clear top scorers. Everyone in the attacking third contributes - mainly the 2 SS's and the EG - in scoring a **** ton of goals. I always top the "goals scored" chart by a huge margin, but the top goalscorer awards usually go to somebody else.

Stop undermining my point, pls. :( 

8 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Your topscorer had 9 goals?! AND YOU TRY TO CONVINCE OF US A STRIKERLESS FORMATION BEING BETTER THAN A 3-MAN STRIKER FORMATION?!

Billedresultat for madness gif

Reputation given for the gif and profile pic :lol:

2 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Exactly what I've seen. My front 3 and left central mid get a large number of goals...and my overall results speak for themselves!

Edited by ManUtd1

56 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Reputation given for the gif and profile pic :lol:

Exactly what I've seen. My front 3 and left central mid get a large number of goals...and my overall results speak for themselves!

Greatly appreciated. Felt as if good ol Henry wasn't cutting it anymore. Needed something new and improved. 

Well, how often does your 19 year old striker score 4 goals in one game? Never? That's what I bloody thought!

19 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Well, how often does your 19 year old striker score 4 goals in one game? Never? That's what I bloody thought!

:lol:

One of these days, I'll stick around to manage one of these sides in their full glory :D

18 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

One of these days, I'll stick around to manage one of these sides in their full glory :D

Uhh, me scared. Okay, I'm a bit intimidated. 

The best lies about me are the ones I told.

5aec611f0d7cfb1b150268dd0435d54c.png

Entracht Frankfurt

July 2042 Squad Review

As promised, let's do this thing...the squad is starting to come together, and we're far less bloated than we once were.  There are still some players to push out on loan, though...

366b88ff118d403e2f25481408e42795.jpg

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Goalkeepers

c13852fcc9afe6b3c9674be7839e36c0.jpg 42815c7c98733fb624fbaac840096d1c.jpg d46abd083988260dc8fc745eb74479e2.jpg

Häußler is the current No. 1.  No question.  I had been thinking that Bernemann would eventually take over, but that was before I landed Gantenbein from Basel.  The young Swiss looks like a great prospect, especially if I can start getting him matches.  Bernemann will likely be loaned out for the time being.  If Gantenbein develops, he'll be the man long-term.

Defenders

44326725c88be84974ea7e678610a32c.jpg 1b284abb6c44cbe037b5397095ff8be2.jpg

First up, the liberos.  Last season, I ran with an older defensive midfielder in this slot, but he wasn't taking to the position.  I also landed Diallo in January...he was good enough to be given the spot this coming year, with hopes that he'll develop into that PA.  Stanic is no more than a backup...and he's homegrown, which is always a plus.  Clear preference here.

edd9da63984b52c39a07504f5ef828cd.jpg e1dae3e3a1615567390ada71547ddf86.jpg 4ab376de560540416346e13f14f55d57.jpg 349625a7b1c4691782b104ec0f86c22a.jpg 61be4fa102b92f3aa62e250aefee71a2.jpg

At centerback, Smeulers and Letsaolo are my starters.  They'll be challenged (eventually) by Buselic, Altricher and Kuhn...but not just yet.

aadde5693520cc41674a2f6be65bd3d6.jpg d761f5c88fa7d28a694cc78b5b0ca66a.jpg 173684956c699518cf938eaf89a28b7c.jpg fbf2ee46be97d8f211518c2af1879d11.jpg

My starting inverted wingbacks are Ziogas and Allgower.  I've considered pushing Ziogas over to the right, to make use of his left-footedness, but have yet to do that.  Lots of room for growth here.  Karlsen is a possible threat to Allgower, long-term.  Kone will join up in January -- I'm extremely excited about him.

Central Midfielders

e7623213fa8ed528c110356f64f7fed5.jpg 7c959f337f8a666d43e32fce16194df0.jpg 233be161ef1dfd0bcd54d7000d383b83.jpg 445e2cd855da9e23e60004b06b102499.jpg 95306bfd38bcf06812ff7a8272e74c1c.jpg 322745e5bcf5981db5f8de472663de37.jpg

Yilmaz is my starting left center-mid, the more attacking of the pair.  I'm still debating who will start with him, as his aging partner ****ed off to China for a ton of cash (his wages were too high, anyways, for a 32 year-old).   Al-Shaikh and Kozlik are great prospects, with Ngome due to arrive in August.  Combined, these 4 will make up my central midfield this year...Mulumba is too young to play this season (given the Bundesliga's U17 rule), but he'll be one to watch in the future.  Tsilosani is another bright prospect, picked up on the cheap from Georgia (there's a theme here...), who will join next summer.

Attacking Midfielders

4df820ecf3d85ffcd86eee12ac6282f8.jpg b11d5d3e9f69f353d4fb3e2e61922a3b.jpg 641d56bf67725e481d45e58d2bdef12b.jpg ddfa26dd9a82e359adccc327166ab91a.jpg ae01a0c583da6576c35242f1e671afc5.jpg bac53a762bd4d904a691fcfa7b1dd13e.jpg fc1338dda60e78d4d728aa1f86576186.jpg a76649c6258b078cd8fa76ceea824842.jpg dd9e14779b2e833e14bc20bb8df74538.jpg

My key attacker this year will be Blisch, who will be my Enganche -- the pivot for our attacks.  He's just not quite quick enough...  My 1st XI shadow strikers...I'm debating still.  Fleischer and Hajdari will likely get the nod.  We've got a lot of potential in Friedeck, Kante and Traore...if they develop.  Thanos is likely going out on loan (I know, I know...).  His brothers-in-arms Flothkotter (what a name!) and Christ are also going to be jettisoned at the first opportunity.  Perhaps I should show some patience with the latter, and let him play some matches while the youth develop...but I'm not inclined to.  Call it arbitrary if you will, it's true.  I don't like him.  And you can't count on a player with 5 determination when you'll be battling relegation.

(I know that I missed a couple of players...they're more useless than anything.  How many left backs did they really need before I arrived, anyways?!)

Edited by ManUtd1

10 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I may be tempting fate, but I don't care.  This is how you start the Bundesliga.  Well done, lads.

1d7c9e3d3de7b7036b32c92c648ffb5b.png 

95890a46d03e57ebeab362c124549921.jpg 

Jesus told me in a dream, that you're  "totally top 3 bound, lol". Good start to the season

Is this an ideal start?   Maybe not.  But for a side aiming to finish mid-table, this is tremendous.  On paper, all 5 of these sides should have beaten us.

13e10bc88713d19ab365bdb00dee9369.png 

4a30d17bc7cdf534920fd864beffd90d.jpg 

We're unbeaten in 9 matches, in the Bundesliga.  At this stage, I don't expect us to be firing on all cylinders, much less scoring a ton of goals.  Being hard to beat is a solid place to be.

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

A win against Dortmund, a point from Bayern, most any Bundesliga team would be chuffed with that!

Thanks, man. Especially given the balance of power shifting to Dortmund.  Points against Stuttgart and Mönchengladbach away, and Wolfsburg are no disappointment either. They're all in the CL/EL mix.

Like I said, a tremendous start :D

How are the inverted wing backs working? From what I understand, when attacking they act as central midfielder but when they defend they are regular fullbacks. Since you play without wingers, how does that play out in terms of defending the flanks and providing width in attacks.

Not asking for diagrams and heatmaps, just any piece of info you can provide would be appreciated. Even a "meh it's ok" is fine.

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

How are the inverted wing backs working? From what I understand, when attacking they act as central midfielder but when they defend they are regular fullbacks. Since you play without wingers, how does that play out in terms of defending the flanks and providing width in attacks.

Not asking for diagrams and heatmaps, just any piece of info you can provide would be appreciated. Even a "meh it's ok" is fine.

I play IWB's from the wingback position. For me, they function as clamps on the midfield - they're essential if I want to keep control of the game. And not only do they help me control the game, they lock down my defense. When I compare the inverted wingbacks to full backs I used before tweaking the tactic, I concede far less often. In attack, the inverted wingbacks function practically as full backs - making runs down the flanks - but with the exception of cutting inside and creating overloads into the opposing penalty area. It doesn't matter if they defend with 9 at the back - you have 6 people rushing down the middle to ram the ball into the back of the net with a really solid defense to back that up. I always create a ridiculous number of chances during any given game, though finishing could be better. :lol:

Edited by Adonalsium

@kidthekid I'd pretty much repeat what @Adonalsium said. In defense we're very compact and tough to break down (especially with a libero), as they tend to play like normal fullbacks.

When we push forward, though, they cut inside and operate as auxiliary midfielders (which is the primary reason I retrain defensive-minded midfielders for the role).

I like to think of them as the third wave of runners from deep in my attack: (1) the shadow strikers working off the enganche; (2) the central midfielders; and then (3) the inverted wingbacks. All of this movement pulls the defense out shape, and unsure of who to track. When we lose possession and are pressing high, this avalanche of aggression at the heart of the pitch pivots to hunt in packs, as we pressure the ball and close down passing lanes...leading to long balls which our libero and defensive minded central midfielder are typically waiting to gather/recycle.

Edited by ManUtd1

He's just the biggest fan of the libero tactic. "The reason why Holland lost the World Cup Finals was the lack of a libero," said the grizzled Dutchman as Channel A interviewed him yesterday. "Had I realized the unparalleled potential of the inverted wingback libero stratagem, we would undoubtedly have desthroyed the Germans! I admire Telleus from the bottom of my heart." The ex-manager's endorsement was received with a mixture of doubt and disbelief, given his recent managerial track record - failure after failure. "An endorsement from a man like him is akin to a banker getting endorsed by a credit card company," an unnamed source from the AdoMedia commented.

10 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

He's just the biggest fan of the libero tactic. "The reason why Holland lost the World Cup Finals was the lack of a libero," said the grizzled Dutchman as Channel A interviewed him yesterday. "Had I realized the unparalleled potential of the inverted wingback libero stratagem, we would undoubtedly have desthroyed the Germans! I admire Telleus from the bottom of my heart." The ex-manager's endorsement was received with a mixture of doubt and disbelief, given his recent managerial track record - failure after failure. "An endorsement from a man like him is akin to a banker getting endorsed by a credit card company," an unnamed source from the AdoMedia commented.

He just likes how horny we are when we play.

Edited by ManUtd1

Gossip NEWS: Reports are saying that Louis Van Gaal and Håkan Telleus have initiated a relationship following a recent flirt in the media where Van Gaal was quoted saying suggestive stuff like "An endorsement from a man like him..." whereafter he groaned loudly and also said "I admire Telleus from the bottom of my ****". Words have been cut from the interview due to the honest nature of Van Gaal. This was followed up by Telleus paying for a season ticket to Commerzbank Arena - I could make jokes about that, but it would be unprofessional. Rumor has it that their relationship is of the SM-kind. Recordings have been leaked where Van Gaal calls Håkan for his "Kleine Tellie Goofenballen" and expressed the need to "Puniss you!"

That's All Folks!

Edited by Benjoe

Gossip NEWS: 

We have received a picture of Van Gaal following an SM-date with Håkan Telleus sent by an anonymous man who wanted to go under the name 'Van not Gaal'.

Billedresultat for van gaal

Supposedly this picture should have been taken just moments after climax. His words, not ours.

That's All Folks!

We lose away to first-place Koln...using In Catene, which we've played most of the season thus far...for our first loss of the year...and this is what greets me?!

31332e24ec2eb5c9263adf91f2ad9085.png 

f98fad8dbd6b19b824da34e893a00608.png 

I have little I can complain about with the result.  Heading into the weekend, we were in 2nd, FFS!

We're away to Leverkusen next.  I can't wait.

Edited by ManUtd1

It's going swell!

Guess they were confused by your formation due to 0-strikers. That can be confusing for defenders but also media clearly. Hopefully you'll send Leverkusen closer to the relegation line, again. This time in a different but still direct way.

Edited by Benjoe

19 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

It's going swell!

Guess they were confused by your formation due to 0-strikers. That can be confusing for defenders but also media clearly. Hopefully you'll send Leverkusen closer to the relegation line, again. This time in a different but still direct way.

That we did.  Best performance of the year.

EDIT: I love that 89% of our attacks were classified as coming through the middle.  Straight for the jugular.

Edited by ManUtd1

The best lies about me are the ones I told.

5aec611f0d7cfb1b150268dd0435d54c.png

Eintracht Frankfurt

December 2042 Mini-Update

What a difference a year makes, eh?

At this time last year, it was groundhog day.  A new team, but virtually the same points heading into the Bundesliga winter break.  The difference has proven to be tactics.

Strikerless saw us run clear of the relegation zone rather quickly, whereas at Leverkusen it was like I had 11 Brian der ficken Lions on the field.  Frankly, Frankfurt (try saying that 10x fast) isn't that much better at first glance.

But, we're putting something together here.  We're incredibly tough to break down in defense which means that, even though we aren't scoring many goals (yet), we're always in the match.  We've only given up 11 goals in 17 matches (joint best with Monkerboorgeebakk), with just one loss.

We're bound to hit a rough patch.  It is inevitable, even if my sides are typically better in the second half of the season.  Even with that likely dip in form somewhere on the horizon, we look good value for the top half finish I wanted.

I have to say, hearing the new song Die Adler have begun to sing for me gives me chills...

Telleus, Telleus über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält.
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
Telleus, Telleus über alles,
Über alles in der Welt! 

The live polka band in the lower tier, across from the benches, is a sight to behold.  Even Ludwig, that musical-hipster ****, has been taken with it, swearing up and down that he's going to incorporate  an accordion and tuba on the next Sonic Death Penguin album.

27f160b5d3e7a54e8c805421b92f88dd.jpg

b278a4794fee56d12a82b412d4dc950a.jpg

a155398a6fb1cdb87f5b6872b3569fb4.png

Edited by ManUtd1

I neglected to mention, Hakan is itching to manage a national side again.  

No, Apples.  It isn't a rash.  I mean it metaphorically, for ****'s sake!  I'm ... I'm sorry.   Yes, I'll try to watch my language around the twins.

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

I said that in my Prison Mike voice.

One of the only true voices. His mimic is also perfect - just look at my avatar ffs. :lol:

I am, however, confused as to why no reaction was given to the rumors told by Gossip NEWS earlier. Maybe there was some truth in it after all.

8 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

One of the only true voices. His mimic is also perfect - just look at my avatar ffs. :lol:

I am, however, confused as to why no reaction was given to the rumors told by Gossip NEWS earlier. Maybe there was some truth in it after all.

Busy day.  Atilla has been dispatched to personally deal with the slanderous cretins spreading all those rumors.  

Edited by ManUtd1