[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Akkarin said:

Frankfurt in for a special ride clearly - CL winners come next year? 

Shame about the loss to Koln, but still a brilliant start to the season. 

2 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Unlucky about Koln but great progress so far.

Thanks, guys...no SdR repeat here -- that was crazy, based on how good they were when I arrived!

6 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

I thought Apples had resolved to never meet the crazy, but sympathetic, manager again.

They reconciled in December 2035, a number of pages back -- start reading from here: December 2035 Mini-Update.

41 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Billedresultat for michael scott prison mike quotes

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Another tactical question

How much of a goal/assist threat is your libero.  I figured playing with two DMs may get in his way, or does it even affect his movement?

He's not a goal-scoring threat in the attack, really. He creates and launches attacks, and recovers possession when the opposition make a desperate clearance under pressure.

For me, they're not much of a goal-scoring threat if they know how to do their job. In the early stages, when my libero was still half-assed in his understanding of the libero role, he occasionally ventured into the box and scored some goals - once even a long shot - but mostly he's more of a playmaker.

Just now, ManUtd1 said:

They reconciled in December 2035, a number of pages back -- start reading from here: December 2035 Mini-Update.

Oh no. That update reads like something from a horror movie. At some point, Hakan is just going to subconsciously decide that he's had enough, Emma's naked breasts and hot tubbing notwithstanding.

I'm really beginning to hate Apples here! She's like... she just won't let go of the madman, Hakan. At this point I'm not even sure if he's mad because of her or if that was a pre-existing condition ever since the beginning. Like a psychosis that only gets worse when left untreated.

Edited by Adonalsium

9 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Oh no. That update reads like something from a horror movie. At some point, Hakan is just going to subconsciously decide that he's had enough, Emma's naked breasts and hot tubbing notwithstanding.

I'm really beginning to hate Apples here! She's like... she just won't let go of the madman, Hakan. At this point I'm not even sure if he's mad because of her or if that was a pre-existing condition ever since the beginning. Like a psychosis that only gets worse when left untreated.

She's a fustercluck of crazy, that Hakan just can't live without. 110%.

4 hours ago, BathCity said:

Looking forward to more of this!

1 hour ago, mjaferrie said:

So much catching up to do... nice unbeaten run!

Thanks, guys -- have another busy week...after working a bunch today.  Hopefully I'll keep getting through matches in my downtime!

22 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

She's a fustercluck of crazy, that Hakan just can't live without. 110%.

Sanity would only confuse him anyway and he'd end up climbing trees naked to make up for it.

Lots of irony to be found here indeed. A acts like she's not the crazy one in the, uh, "relationship", but if you think about it, which is more psychotic? Obsessing over football so hard that you accidentally end up whipping up a mob to set fire to someone's training grounds... or doing what A did? I swear this is the craziest family I've ever seen. Only thing they're missing is copious amounts of methamphetamine. Which Hakan might have brought into the mix already, who knows. But damn is it entertaining. This sort of background story is doing a good job for this save, honestly. It makes this one stand out.

I do have a serious question, though. In my strikerless dabbles, I've only encountered one tactic that I struggle against - the 4-1-2-3. Somehow, this tactic actually manages to make a battle of possession in the midfield. I'm experimenting on how to stop it currently, have you came across this one @ManUtd1 ?

Edited by Adonalsium

Update will come late tonight (my time), as I've managed to get a bit further despite a crazy start to the work week...

On 4/2/2017 at 18:59, BoxToBox said:

Sanity would only confuse him anyway and he'd end up climbing trees naked to make up for it.

He'd definitely have a crossbow in the tree, too.

On 4/3/2017 at 00:35, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Probably because Hakan is as well. :D

On advice of counsel, I can neither confirm nor deny this assertion.

On 4/3/2017 at 01:25, Adonalsium said:

[...]This sort of background story is doing a good job for this save, honestly. It makes this one stand out.

I do have a serious question, though. In my strikerless dabbles, I've only encountered one tactic that I struggle against - the 4-1-2-3. Somehow, this tactic actually manages to make a battle of possession in the midfield. I'm experimenting on how to stop it currently, have you came across this one @ManUtd1 ?

Thanks, man! That narrative makes it more enjoyable for me, too...it's like CKII meets FM. 

I actually tend to be most vulnerable defensively against sides who play with width, which is less of a function of the ME than it was in 16 but nevertheless an issue. 

Defensively, yeams who pack the midfield/middle are playing right into my hands. Offensively, they can be hard to break down but I haven't seen that have a greater impact with this formation than others. Maybe it is just the strikerless variant I'm playing, though, which is not particularly focused on possession - we will get good percentages and massive pass counts, but the latter is a function of the tempo. We typically launch forward very aggressively.

Edited by ManUtd1

CKII is so good. I've spent almost as many hours in that game as I have in FM. 

I'm also a fan of the story telling you have in the thread although I still haven't read it all yet. I'm actually also working on a background story for a thread that I'll launch when I'm tired of Celta, I just don't know whether it will fit better in the FMCU forum or the Story telling one.

Anyways, I like CKII and your thread.

5 hours ago, Benjoe said:

CKII is so good. I've spent almost as many hours in that game as I have in FM. 

I'm also a fan of the story telling you have in the thread although I still haven't read it all yet. I'm actually also working on a background story for a thread that I'll launch when I'm tired of Celta, I just don't know whether it will fit better in the FMCU forum or the Story telling one.

Anyways, I like CKII and your thread.

CKII, aka World Conquest Simulator. I've spent a fair number of hours eradicating various populations...favorites being attempted world conquest as Khazar horselords and the Welsh.

41 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

CKII, aka World Conquest Simulator. I've spent a fair number of hours eradicating various populations...favorites being attempted world conquest as Khazar horselords and the Welsh.

Ah yes, the Welsh. Remember once trying to conquer all of the British isles which was going fairly good. Then my next regent is a weak, paranoid, cripple who cannot for the love of God get a kid. Suddenly he dies at 40-something as he got assassinated by an inbred cousin who was even worse than my now deceased crippled regent. Who becomes my new regent? Said inbred cousin of course! Now my entire nation is in upright and I have to split everything up. Haven't enjoyed any other campaign more. 

I've had a few goes at that, never been any good at it, but ridiculous fun watching my tiny Irish empire fall to bits.

Best part was having a lady run the county for 60-70 years and ended up having her way with everyone in her court and plenty outside it.

@Benjoe and @BoxToBox -- glad to know there are a few other CKII fans on here, and yes watching your empire burn is quite a joy, if you're in the right frame of mind.  The spawn of satan event chain is great fun as well -- only had it once, early in my days playing the game, so I didn't fully comprehend what was going on until I was well into the midst of it.  Absolute mayhem.

Nice bird, ***hole!

5aec611f0d7cfb1b150268dd0435d54c.png

Eintracht Frankfurt

March 2043 Mini-Update

Attila would be proud.  We don't **** around, do we, lads?!

No.  No, we do not.

It's mid-March, and we have yet to hit that bad patch of form.  While we have been far from perfect, we're playing well and stealing points.

Bayern knocked my 2nd XI out of the cup, but no matter.  If we can maintain this form, we'll be in Europe next year.

Granted, if anyone says the "E" word or even starts talking about continental competition, the players' kangaroo court fines them heavily.

We need focus.  Our goal was a mid-table finish.  Barring a slip of Gerrard-esque proportions, we'll be there.  At the worst.  Best case, we might need to locate our passports.

Oh, **** off, Ludwig.  That doesn't count.  Don't tell the lads, yeah?

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

a2d17e2827c8ddb078bdbc45dac2a416.jpg

68e2954549a8aa685c8e7f4f8544903e.jpg

12669ef57f3a52017d3bcbf20dd4e7d7.jpg

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

370415619a94ddccb8fa0f230850cc1a.jpg

Elsewhere in Europe, Fiorentina are struggling mightily, while it is business as usual for the most part elsewhere...although Lyon's resurgence continues -- no mean feat given the glorious, recent success of Saint-Etienne, Nice and Stade de Reims, the deep pockets at PSG, Monaco and Nantes, and long-standing "top" clubs like Marseille.  The French league certainly is no pushover.  It is actually more impressive, the more I think about it.

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I've had a few goes at that, never been any good at it, but ridiculous fun watching my tiny Irish empire fall to bits.

Best part was having a lady run the county for 60-70 years and ended up having her way with everyone in her court and plenty outside it.

The Irish is always fun to roll with. Starting as a small count and suddenly collect the entire island. From there on you can go a lot of different ways with the campaign. 

44 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

@Benjoe and @BoxToBox -- glad to know there are a few other CKII fans on here, and yes watching your empire burn is quite a joy, if you're in the right frame of mind.  The spawn of satan event chain is great fun as well -- only had it once, early in my days playing the game, so I didn't fully comprehend what was going on until I was well into the midst of it.  Absolute mayhem.

Spawn of satan? Not sure I've encountered that, sounds intriguing though.

Looks good in the league too! Maybe exotic drinks will be sipped next season in foreign bars. 

4 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

The Irish is always fun to roll with. Starting as a small count and suddenly collect the entire island. From there on you can go a lot of different ways with the campaign. 

Spawn of satan? Not sure I've encountered that, sounds intriguing though.

Looks good in the league too! Maybe exotic drinks will be sipped next season in foreign bars. 

The Irish are great fun, no doubt.  The demon child event chain is epic, especially if you don't know what's happening when it starts.  The nanny takes a header off of a tower, the child's siblings start getting murdered, it's completely and totally frickin nuts.  The alerts grow ever-more urgent and worrisome, spread out over the early years.  Good stuff.

We're looking sharp -- I'm getting optimistic, but there's a lot of work to be done between now and late May.

1 minute ago, ManUtd1 said:

The Irish are great fun, no doubt.  The demon child event chain is epic, especially if you don't know what's happening when it starts.  The nanny takes a header off of a tower, the child's siblings start getting murdered, it's completely and totally frickin nuts.  The alerts grow ever-more urgent and worrisome, spread out over the early years.  Good stuff.

We're looking sharp -- I'm getting optimistic, but there's a lot of work to be done between now and late May.

We should have a thread for CKII related mayhem and chaos. 

Undoubtedly a lot of work to be done but possible it seem. How does the programme look for the ending stage of the season?

Unreal.  We beat Schalke, and RB Leipzig lost at home to 6th place Mainz.  Leaving us 1 point off the top, 2 points separating the top 4 (Wolfsburg with a match in hand).

69d32e6eb1184acbf8322524573506a3.jpg 

The kangaroo court is getting downright medieval on anyone who dares to speak publicly about the Bundesliga or possiblility of Europe.  The Inquisition was a ****ing day at the park, compared to this.  I'm not kidding.  They have robes, and even brought Mario Balotelli on board to dole out punishments as he deems fit, with no right of appeal.  Lord only knows what he's planning to do with that can opener.

Just now, Benjoe said:

We should have a thread for CKII related mayhem and chaos. 

Undoubtedly a lot of work to be done but possible it seem. How does the programme look for the ending stage of the season?

Hahaha...I used to read the Paradox forums, but haven't been over there in ages.

This is our run-in -- frankly, it isn't too bad. Leipzig and Koln are the toughest matches, both at home:

6c8df8c469d4cc67c64705a4d3be27f2.png 

More to come tomorrow, I'm done for the night.

I've never read on the forum but instead I watched YT series. Not sure which format is best tbh. 

That's quite fortunate to have them both at home. Mainz away might be tricky? Could be good fun if you could send Leverkusen into relegation with a win in the third last round - and Dortmund and Bayern are doing as well as Barca and Real are in my save. :lol:

5 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Nice bird, ***hole!

:D

loving all the kvothes from the varying sources. 

Never played CKII unfortunately, but I love EUIV. Please stop the anecdotes though, last thing I need is another drag on my time... 

oh, and great progress - I won't open my mouth about future possibilities for fear of Mario, but things are looking mighty good!

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

The kangaroo court is getting downright medieval on anyone who dares to speak publicly about the Bundesliga or possiblility of Europe.  The Inquisition was a ****ing day at the park, compared to this.  I'm not kidding.  They have robes, and even brought Mario Balotelli on board to dole out punishments as he deems fit, with no right of appeal.  Lord only knows what he's planning to do with that can opener.

I thought his secret weapon was a training bib.

I was indeed going to mention the B... and E.... but better not **** off Mario.

Thanks, guys!  We've held our own in the initial matches, moving 2 points off the top.  Improbable, to say the least.

e19ff372168b18f864ee2c7c891cc400.png 

d229f960245951c325c133af4411c986.jpg 

I won't be able to finish the league tonight...which is killing me.

6 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

What's this CKII game? Sounds really interesting.

6 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

This screenshot is good summary.

363563.png

It's a character-driven grand strategy game, set in the middle ages covering all of Europe, the Middle and Near East, parts of Africa and the Indian subcontinent.  

It's glorious, potentially-life-ruining stuff.  And I mean that in all the right ways.

[Edit -- I concur with you, @nie jem frytek - that screenshot it incredibly accurate!]

Edited by ManUtd1

Ooooooooh.  This makes me very, very happy...

4ca3a3218bd9528baa42d8e857017b56.jpg

Ludwig, how does a trip to Greece fancy you?  No, mate.  That's just the name of one of the islands.  One-track mind, I swear...

Edited by ManUtd1

We annihilate Hannover and everyone else...drops points?!

2e1afec908058bfde70c94c5adf1ad39.jpg 71c8b418cd5a2a56850794e41302e5ba.jpg

What dark sorcery is this?!  With only 5 matches to play, I can barely take the tension.  We've no business sitting here, in this position.

Ouch.  Arguably our worst match of the year, in the run-in.  We were dire. I feel like I got my tactics wrong, and should have been in In Catene more.  

70540f21f3341eaa69311cb42d2607d5.jpg 5a6fcdfe2a9a3b201c4ce46b246b0629.jpg 

In the end, Koln and Leipzig miss the opportunity, while Wolfsburg hold their nerve.  Advantage to Die Wolfe.

4 matches to play.

Massive weekend in Germany.  Dortmund crush Leipzig 2-0 on Friday night.  This is madness.  No one can hold their nerve.

We host Koln, but neither side can gain the advantage after 90 minutes.  Wolfburg manage a 1-0 win over Hertha, and inch closer to the title.

6295fb8f19efca6290e26ca49fd651d2.jpg 5faacf0dfb183fb782317debce7c0ea8.jpg 

We host Leverkusen next, and I'd love the chance to make them suffer.

Sorry, not sorry, bro.

6723932f600df5dad74d896539417fed.jpg 83da3dacd19dfe76317bd25ee725e65e.jpg 

Koln dropped points again, but Wolfsburg managed a slim 1-0 win away against Schalke...with Leipzig drawing on Sunday.  Sweet RNGeebus, it's a two-horse race with 2 matches to play.  Utter madness.

We're away to Nurnberg, then home against Braunschweig...Wolfsburg host Leipzig, and then travel to Hoffenheim.

I glance at the other tables, but can't be bothered.  All that matters is the here and now.  

9aab2f7b10c664eb80a9265d4e0e4ca7.jpg 

Edited by ManUtd1

goaWhatever might be said about Die Adler, we're not boring.

Biggest game in decades, and we bash one into our own net in less than 2 minutes.  Then score 2 quick...give up another right after the half, before regaining the lead...then completely **** it in injury time.

40956c96310aa2a77e15ea9810087b84.jpg bd6784b79a9dd1c317c90a5e3121f53e.png 

Yep...no one will ever accuse us of being boring.  Now, we need to see what happens tomorrow at Leipzig...but, before then a critical bit of news...that's right, Die Adler are returning to the Champions League for the first time since losing to Real Madrid in the 1960 final at Hampden.

0fa39f5d1ee9d939328eb1223135a1e3.jpg 

Wolfsburg draw, which means they'll take the title with a point away to Schalke.  But -- and it is a big but -- if they lose and we win, it comes down to goal difference.  

I've never been good at match, but we're at +28 to their +27...so....

One heck of a day...Attila is circling overhead, menacing Wee Wes Sneijder's Braunschweig...I've made him my ***** over the years, and I'm hoping today will be no different.

We're playing PM Libre 2.0, because we should be more aggro today, of all days.  And, to be fair, it starts out quite well...

A ridiculous long ball is misplayed by the Braunschweig keeper, leaving Fleischer to give us the lead.

d90ea507f76fa73ed972d191e6edb71a.gif 

Talk about a fantastic start...but now we need the result elsewhere to go our way...but it is still 0-0.

4db238fd183cadb07185dea34edc087a.png