Steam updating question

Every time I switch on the laptop and open FM a message comes up saying steam is updating.  Surely there can't be updates every time I try to start FM.  Is this like windows updates that have failed?  Any advice as to how I can stop it.

Thanks 

The Steam client updates regularly to fix bugs etc.

How often? just depends, at least once a week in my experience, maybe more.

On top of that the games you have installed through Steam also release updates, depending on how many games you have installed & which ones this could easily mean updates every day.

How to stop it? Well why would you want to stop it, updates are there to benefit you and just like windows updates you should be checking for them & installing them regularly.  I check for windows updates as a matter of course every day as soon as I switch the PC on.

I don't have any other games on steam.  When I open FM on the PC only occasionally do I get the steam updating message.  When I open FM on the laptop I get the steam updating message every time, and it takes ages to stop.  I know I am a technophobe but I'm thinking there must be some glitch on the laptop, I don't believe steam is actually updating every time.    

32 minutes ago, keithw44 said:

I don't have any other games on steam.  When I open FM on the PC only occasionally do I get the steam updating message.  When I open FM on the laptop I get the steam updating message every time, and it takes ages to stop.  I know I am a technophobe but I'm thinking there must be some glitch on the laptop, I don't believe steam is actually updating every time.    

Do you actually see Steam updating or do you just see the black rectangle saying "Checking for updates"?

Rather than clicking on the FM logo have you tried opening Steam first & then launching FM from within Steam?

10 minutes ago, keithw44 said:

It's the black rectangle saying checking for updates, then installing updates and taking ages every time.  I'll try opening steam first and see what happens.

Yeah, no easy solution with several things being mentioned on various sites.

You could try uninstalling & re-installing Steam as a last resort but I'm not convinced that would fix it.

Easiest thing to try first is always close Steam down fully before shutting down your PC, if you don't Steam thinks its crashed and checks for updates the next time you open it.

I read the suggestions from the links provided from Welshace and Cougar.  What works for me, so no more constantly updating on start up, is simply to start steam first then FM through steam.  After playing and saving my game I then exit steam.  

So many thanks Welshace and Cougar for your help.  

On 14/12/2016 at 16:49, Cougar2010 said:

Yeah, no easy solution with several things being mentioned on various sites.

You could try uninstalling & re-installing Steam as a last resort but I'm not convinced that would fix it.

Easiest thing to try first is always close Steam down fully before shutting down your PC, if you don't Steam thinks its crashed and checks for updates the next time you open it.

When you say fully close down do you mean go into Steam and exit? Interesting stuff as I get small updates all the time when launching a steam game.

1 minute ago, Kazza said:

When you say fully close down do you mean go into Steam and exit? Interesting stuff as I get small updates all the time when launching a steam game.

When you click the cross (top right) it minimises Steam into the background.

Actually choose "Exit Steam" from either Steam itself or by right clicking on the icon in the system tray (Bottom right).

Basically so Steam isn't running in any form when you shut the PC down.

I also don't have Steam loading at startup, I physically open it once the PC has fully booted.

Archived