[Suggestion] New Player Role: "Box To Box Centre Back"

Michael Zorc

I'd like to suggest the creation of a new role which does not currently exist on FM17 - the "box to box centre back". We already have the "ball playing defender" but even with a "stopper" duty and "dribble more", the player will not bring the ball out of defence, but will instead favour through balls 100% of the time.

Ideally, this new role would act in the way described on Spielverlagerung:

http://spielverlagerung.com/glossary/player-roles/box-to-box-centre-back/

Especially when using a back three, both centre-backs at the outside can take on different roles. For instance, a left or right centre-back can become an additional playmaker in midfield, when moving forward during the build-up play. Bayern Munich’s David Alaba established that role, as he played as left centre-back in a back three. He travelled through the left half-space and appeared in the number ten’s space.

As the author also mentions, his role "has also been called half-space libero".

Yes, it's true we have a "libero" currently, but he can only play in the most central spot and obviously has the tendency to act as a sweeper when you don't have the ball, something not welcome in the box-to-box centre back role, hence 2 different roles being appropriate here.

When Dortmund plays a back 3 in real life, we often see Bartra or even both outside centre backs, acting in this manner. Hummels did it as part of a back 2 last year and even set up a goal with an outside-of-the-right-boot cross from the left wing position.

Hummels assist:

This excellent article, below, describes David Alaba's excellent work in the box-to-box centre back role in real life:

https://woodsport.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/the-remarkable-feats-of-david-alaba/

An excerpt from the piece above:

As shown in the image below in the early stages of possession Bayern would tend to occupy something resembling a regular 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, with the back line marked out and the wing backs circled.

b1f36ca89b3b173f9559b7d7413fab53.png

But unlike the other two centre backs, Alaba was clearly inclined to push up in possession and contribute in attacks.

aaabbb5b5bc62a45beb0ad08d42ede2d.png

Implementing this in FM would be awesome, adding to the realism of the game and giving us managers more options to generate the tactical flexibility we require to develop the style of play we want, and to implement the game strategies we need to attack/counter-act all sorts of different opponents.

Thanks.

Great idea, I support the idea as every new role because it's tied to the evolution of the game.

I have one question though - should this be available ONLY when there are 3 defenders in the back, or you could give this role to any defender even f.e. in a 4-4-2 format?

I'd support the first one but it would mean that it would be first role whose availability would depend from the formation

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

BPD + "Stopper" (to get rid of the hold position instruction) + "Dribble more often" + "Shoot more often"?

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I've tried it. The BPD on "Stopper" duty does not bring the ball out of defence, even if given the "Dribble More" instruction in a formation that leaves adequate space ahead for him to run into.

Hence my suggestion for a new role to achieve this.

20 hours ago, Sopel said:

Great idea, I support the idea as every new role because it's tied to the evolution of the game.

I have one question though - should this be available ONLY when there are 3 defenders in the back, or you could give this role to any defender even f.e. in a 4-4-2 format?

I'd support the first one but it would mean that it would be first role whose availability would depend from the formation

My belief is that it should reflect real life evolution of football as much as possible and, therefore, be available in all shapes and formations.

Hummels at Dortmund last season played this role quite often in a back 4 and Boetang, Alaba and Kimmich exhibited similar characteristics within their own back 4 at Bayern at various points in the last 2 seasons prior to this one. It's definitely not exclusive to a back 3.

Archived