[Suggestion] New Player Role: Deep Lying Defensive Forward

Michael Zorc

I'd like to suggest a new role whose movement is not currently possible in FM17 - the deep lying defensive forward.

This role would give us the ability to instruct forwards to drop deeper in the defensive phase to get behind the ball and to block the opposition central midfielders from advancing, thus protecting your own centre midfielders from the risk of breaking their bank of four to close down their opponents, allowing you to maintain a much more compact shape when playing a 4-4-2 formation.

At various points and in certain match scenarios, we've seen teams like Leicester and Atletico use this tactic for one or sometimes 2 forwards and it would give us managers more flexibility and real-life options for organising our team in the defensive phase.

Ideally, it would look like this when your team doesn't have the ball:

ea12841d18a86123f0c556eed1da9684.png

I'd love to see this in FM. It was possible in a past version of the game with the defensive forward but this role now seems to have changed to a more aggressive forward position when the opponent has the ball, and no longer drops anywhere near as deep as it once did. Re-kindling this tactical option would allow those of us who want this style of defending the ability to implement it. This is a strategy used in real life at times and I think it would be great if FM could reflect that as well.

Thanks.

Archived