[FM17] Destination Unknown

MrMungo

Disclaimer: My first attempt at a FM Career Update so please excuse any lameness. Thanks!

Background: I play a couple of FM Online games which I find most enjoyable, but in comparison I struggle to find something enjoyable/right level of challenging to commit over a long period of time when I play single player, so wanted to try something different.

I am starting unemployed. Moving a year into the future as I enjoy the randomness of regens, along with their sexy haircuts. (I know I am not alone)

(Or, if you prefer a more creative background story:

After 94 caps and 2 goals for England (more of a playmaker rather than scorer...), the 34 year old has announced his desire to go into management following his recovery from the horror tackle that ended his international career. It is expected Johnson will be looking to move into management in July, 2017. )

I will then be applying for all jobs that come available after 1st July, 2017, and take the first job that is offered to me.

Leagues:

England to the Vanarama Leagues.

All Scandinavian Leagues, as I do have a fondness for Scandinavia. Abba, you rock!

All South American Leagues - would be nice to be able to spend lots of time on a beach.

All Asian Leagues - because I am short, and being in Asia makes me feel a normal height.

Numerous European Leagues.

The hope is to earn a job with a side who want to concentrate on youths (I like 'em young), with either a growing club, or a club on the way back after a number of struggling years.

But who knows where I will end up?

One thing I do know though is that I have probably added too many leagues, as we are still 11 months away from July, 2017!

*sigh*

Long Term Goal:

To become a long serving manager at one club. (10 seasons +)

To win the national league title + major cup honours.

To win the Champions Cup with that side.

To be offered a job with an International side and take the country to World Cup honours.

It all sounds easy enough on paper.

But, first, I need to grab a red bull, a packet of wotsits, and wait outside the job center....

EIivpr.jpg

Destination is now known, and the designation is the glamourous Malaysian state of Sarawak.

Immediately I am thrown into the deep end given the job of avoiding relegation with 5 matches to go.

6leDdr.jpg

It is obvious, quite clearly, that the level of football in Malaysia is not high.

This is my 5 star player:

Qr7Bth.jpg

Scary!

First match was the 2nd leg of Malaysia Cup Quarter Final.

First leg was a 3-0 home loss, so was always up against it!

First half didn't go too well. Preferred formation didn't work as planned. The players seemed a little lost, and despite a clear cut chance towards the end of the first half, it was apparent a chance was required.

Reverted to the tried and tested standard 4-4-2 with 2 reasonably pacey wingers. After being out fought in first half (chances 8 to 2), the second half was more evenly matched, and even managed to equalise on the stroke of the hour, and generally played equally as well as them. Maybe even slightly better, as we picked up another couple of CCCs aswell as hitting as the woodwork.

Game ended 1-1, and was a reasonably start to my management career.

Currently stuck with only one fit CD so things will be a challenge for rest of the season, but the side performed slightly better than expected, so there's hope.

OujqAp.jpg

An away trip to leaders Johor DT resulted in the expected away loss - 2 - 0.

Never really in it despite trying numerous things. All of the subs are attacking players, which limited my choices somewhat.

Next up was an impressive 2-1 win over Felda Utd, who were comfortably 6th. We were looking set for most of the match, but a late goal (via corner) made the last 10 minutes a bit tighter than it needed to be. Either way, a win (@ odds 13-2) was always very welcome, and gives us bit of breathing space heading into the final 2 matches of the season.

A win against either Penang (unlikely but possible) or Pelis (very very unlikely!) would ensure we avoid the drop. Both are away trips so expect both are unlikely, so will be keeping a close eye on PBDKT's scores.

FB9Ruj.jpg

Moving on to the trip to Penang, a few more injuries picked up in the 2 week break, along with Juninho (best midfielder by a mile) away on international duty meant it was bit of a riff-raff lot that went on the flight to Penang.

A tense affair with my players picking up 6 yellow cards + 1 red resulting in my lot struggling along with 10 men for the last 10 minutes. A few close shaves, but narrowly managed to hold on to the surprise win (thanks to a classy strike from Makeche) and ensure I completed my first goal; avoid relegation.

3J1Hfp.jpg

That results moves us up to 8th place, well secure of the drop, and allowing us to try a few different things in the final match against 2nd placed, Polis.

After that comes the cull. Far too many attacking players, and not enough defenders means the squad will be getting a complete overhaul. Half a dozen have impressed enough to warrant a stay, but could be a very different side starting next season. The U21 squad is also ridiculous. Must be over 30 players there with the vast majority of them unlikely to be at club next season.

In reflection, a good start to the career. Malaysia requires a different mindset, but is enjoyable nonetheless.

Hoping to be fighting it out for the league title as opposed to the other end of the table.

So we move onto the final match of the season. A trip to Krubong, Malacca to take on Polis - the cops doing a fine job with an outside chance of winning the title if things go their way.

With a limited squad at the best of times, and bit of a dead rubber for my side, we used the match to try out a weird sort of 4-2-2-2 trying to make use of our strengths (both of them!) as opposed trying to fit the players into a more recognised formation.

zVM56U.jpg

Honestly, I saw a huge amount of issues with the tactic, and was expecting it to backfire, but it never did. 2 CCCs in the first 10 minutes made me sit up and notice.

Even though we took the lead thanks to a fluke goal, we were the better side, which is saying something given the differences between the 2 sides.

We finished reasonably comfortable winners; a fine strike by Makeche on 66 minutes settled the match. He could have easily added a couple more but it wasn't to be.

FBqlbQ.jpg

So, the season finished with a hattrick of wins - very surprising wins. It bodes quite well for next season if I can manage to keep ahold of some key personnel

• 2 weeks later...

My ignorance towards the Malaysian football system became quickly apparent when it was noticed I had almost 3 months of pre-season to attend to!

Whilst frustrating in a minor way, it gave me plenty of time to try some varying formations, making some tweaks, aswell as requiring a complete overhaul of the squad.

The first 5 matches were played using a strikerless system that I have found to work well. There was no major complaints there, although it could have gone a bit better at times. It seemed to ask more of the players than they were able to provide.

The main issue was the club's best player was a striker, and playing him a shadow striker was not really getting best out of him.

The next match against DRB was a different kettle of fish - reverting back to the quirky 4-2-2-2 system I used at the end of last season.

Immediately Nascimento, the star striker, looked dangerous from the off and scored a well deserved hattrick. The system also plays my 2nd best player in his ideal role, and he also scored, so that was a pleasing final score of 4-0 and gave me some confidence ahead of the new season.

All the time new players were coming into the squad (see below) and with a couple new purchases (well, free transfers!), I reverted back to the strikerless system with a few tweaks to give it another go thinking the new players would fit in well with the system.

A 2-0 win was satisfactory but the side did not look quite as dangerous. It looked more competent at the back (Air Asia had no shots), but had only 7 shots compared to the 17 the 4-2-2-2 had previously.

The next match was against MPAJ and went back to the 4-2-2-2 and won comfortably 3-0 thanks to 2 goals in 2 minutes early in the game. A few tweaks were made trying to bring the FBs into the game a bit more but it was neither success or unsuccessful with its goal. But a 3-0 win was not to be dismissed.

The most recent match was against local side Sarawak Ibraco, and ended a very pleasing 6-1. (They scored a consolation goal right at the end! Grrrr!)

Another tweak was made to the 4-2-2-2 changing to the AM to AP-SU in an attempt to bring him into the game more, as his performance/ratings had not been wonderful. This worked well as he was often available to find the wingers out wide who got the crosses in to Nascimento, who always looked threatening.

In total, we had 16 shots, which seems to be a very decent number with this tactic, however, Ibraco had a lot more shots than other opponents @ 11, which was not ideal. Has given me food for thought, but will try the same tactic in the final friendly before the season kicks off and take it on from there.

oMex6p.jpg

Having lost 2 of my 5 star players due to them wanting to leave for a bigget club/better squads (along with several others), it became quickly apparent my squad almost needed to be totally re-built, as many of the others in the squad were of a very poor standard, and many of whom played similar positions/roles/were equally as limited as players.

Upon joining the side, the youth squads were insanely largely, and a large cull needed to take place there.

This was managed with about 45 players leaving the club on frees, 40 of which the manager was happy with, some were not with the manager's blessing!

With Juninho/Makeche leaving it gave me a better opportunity to weigh up the squad. Having 2 players so much stronger than the rest made the star ratings a bit loop-sided, so it wasn't all bad!

This made it clear where the obvious weaknesses were.

Nascrimento finally signed a new contract about a week before he was due to leave, which was crucial, and is hoped he will be a key player in the coming season.

The side has a completly new defence, along with some more midfield options. The vast majority of our current attacking options were players already at the squad, along with a new youth regen who already looks like a very solid left winger at this level.

rdHYUw.jpg

With the new season just around the corner, I have been pleased with the preparations, although training has been iffy.

Whilst not considered title favourites by a long stretch, I definitely feel we are in a better position in terms of our squad than the one we ended with at the end of last season - finished 8th.

Are we good enough to achieve the first league title since 1997? Very, very doubtful, but despite the odds, I am confident we won't be anywhere near the relegation fight.

Re6J2x.jpg

Sorry about the rubbishness of Malaysia's league, our FAM is run by some of the most corrupt and incompetent imbeciles on the planet. They do actually in real life have a rather large TV/sponsorship deal with a local broadcaster but god knwos where all that money has gone. :rolleyes:

On 01/01/2017 at 08:26, oneronaldo said:

Sorry about the rubbishness of Malaysia's league, our FAM is run by some of the most corrupt and incompetent imbeciles on the planet. They do actually in real life have a rather large TV/sponsorship deal with a local broadcaster but god knwos where all that money has gone. :rolleyes:

I am rather enjoying it actually! It's a bit different to what I am used to. It's nice to have spacious stadiums, just a shame they are only ever 10% full it seems!

I presume the football stadiums have other more popular uses in Malaysia?

The finances are definitely bit of a concern with my team, but hopefully we can find a sugar daddy sometime in the near future! Or find this missing money you speak of!

Final friendly saw us repeating our 4-1 win over Hanelang that we managed 2 months earlier.

An early goal from keeper Cordova (yes, not a typo!) set the tone for the match, and we looked comfortable throughout, despite not being at our best.

An own goal, another goal for Nascimento and a goal from Van Huizen were the other scorers.

Completed a decent preparation for my first full season as manager of Sarawak.

Moving on 7 days, and it's the first league match of the season.

It is expected to be a close tie, and even though Pahang are newly promoted, they are considered to be narrow favourites.

We start off with our now standard 4-2-2-2 formation. Whilst we have been using quite regularly in recent matches, the press seem to be shocked by my tactic and personnel choice!

I feel that this is my best team at the moment though, and they duly delivered.

I always think the first 15 minutes are crucial. If you can get an early goal, it can often lead to several more as the away team has to push forward, and this is what happened.

A super free kick from my keeper found Nascimento in the penalty box, and a glancing header was all that was needed to make it 1-0 in under 2 minutes.

Another set piece goal made it 2-0 but this one was a bit fortunate. Zekeria's powerful shot from 15 yards out is deflected by one of their defender and the visiting keeper had no hope.

A third set piece goal made it 2-1. A flawless free kick from Roslan left my poor keeper with no chance. This was their only shot on target at that point, and was going to be their only shot on target during the whole match.

The players were told to keep it going, as we had looked in complete control, and didn't have to wait long for a third goal.

Pele's son, Nascimento, with a superb strike to get his second, and then he completes his superb hattrick with another set piece goal. It wasn't pretty but numerous shots were blocked, and when the ball arrived at his feet 6 yards out, he smashed it past the Pahang defence.

gK9GyC.jpg

A very pleasing start to the season.

We were in complete control from start to finish in all honesty.

They had one shot on target - a free kick. We had 7 clear cut chances, our set pieces looked potent, and lots of other opportunities to score aswell. Struck the woodwork a couple of times too.

The only downside to the match was Nascimento getting injured right at the end.

Thankfully it was not a long injury like he had last year, but it's going to be a bit gutch and toe whether to use him in the next game in 3 days time...

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

eW3QaV.jpg

1 hour ago, MrMungo said:

I am rather enjoying it actually! It's a bit different to what I am used to. It's nice to have spacious stadiums, just a shame they are only ever 10% full it seems!

I presume the football stadiums have other more popular uses in Malaysia?

The finances are definitely bit of a concern with my team, but hopefully we can find a sugar daddy sometime in the near future! Or find this missing money you speak of!

10% full doesn't quite reflect real life, the support for the local teams (Kelantan especially) can be quite fanatical. Cup finals usually held at the National Stadium are almost always a full house (85,000 :eek:).

As for the stadiums, well most of them can serve as athletics venues when not in use for football matches but generally their main purpose is for football.

A game of two halves

Our first away match of the season sees us take a trip to Seremban to face Negeri Sembilan.

Negeri Sembilan, like the most recent opponents, are also newly promoted. They are not expected to fare quite as well being predicted 9th place out of 12.

However, given that is an away match, I was expecting a tight encounter. Especially since I don't have the home advantage of a maximum sized pitch.

After much deliberation, I decided to keep the status quo. Tempted to play a safer tactic for the away matches, but thought I would see how it goes, since this tactic worked well away from home at tail end of last season.

The opening 30 minutes were rather dull and devoid of any proper highlights.

Then things got interesting!

My set pieces have been working well so far this season I feel, but this time they let me down as N/Sembilan scored from a corner with a powerful header.

That was not ideal, but okay, it's just 1-0. We can still pull this back. Just need a goal.

And a goal was scored two minutes later!

By them.

A pretty weak goal from our perspective. A low shot from 25 yards out beat my keeper.

We went into half team 2-0 down and up against it.

Toyed with the idea of making big changes during the first half, but you never really know what a team talk will do, so decided to keep it as it for 10 minutes, and see if I could claw a goal back.

I did not have to wait long for the desired response. 19 seconds in fact. Abdul Razak found Nascimento on the edge of the box and he fired a low shot past their keeper from 15 yards out.

We were in it again, although there were still a lot of work to do.

Three minutes later we had equalised thanks to an Abdul Razak tap in. Ibrahim did the hard work on the right wing, got a low cross in seeking out Nascimento at the near post but Mini Pele was challenged by their keeper, and they both missed the ball allowing a simple tap in for Razak to get the equaliser.

35 seconds after they had kicked off again, we were in the lead! A long poke by Marieppen found their CD, who dawdled on the ball for a bit, Nascimento pestered him, grabbed the ball, rounded the keeper and slotted it in. A most remarkable 5 minutes, which had a degree of luck, but sometimes you just need to take them when it comes your way!

The rest of the match was not as exciting. We had a few chances, as did they, but no other goals looked likely, and by the end of the match we found ourselves unlikely winners, and top of the league! Even unlocked an achievement in the process, too!

Only one way to go from here...

Sembilan-Sarawak.png

12 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

10% full doesn't quite reflect real life, the support for the local teams (Kelantan especially) can be quite fanatical. Cup finals usually held at the National Stadium are almost always a full house (85,000 :eek:).

As for the stadiums, well most of them can serve as athletics venues when not in use for football matches but generally their main purpose is for football.

Maybe I am just unlucky being in charge of a team with little interest!

Currently my home matches are 7% full - hopefully that will improve a bit as the season goes on!

51 minutes ago, MrMungo said:

Maybe I am just unlucky being in charge of a team with little interest!

Currently my home matches are 7% full - hopefully that will improve a bit as the season goes on!

Sarawak (and Sabah) are on the Borneo island forming the East Malaysia, away from the peninsular where most clubs are located, so makes sense that interest is not that high over there.

But only 7% full? I don't think so, they have a 26,000 seater stadium and more than capable of 7%

Spoiler

Stadium_Negeri,_Petra_Jaya,_Kuching..jpg

Things continue to go in the right direction for Sarawak.

First up was a trip to Kuala Terangganu to face PBDKT. The newly relegated was never going to be a straight forward tie, but we got a couple of early goals which effectively sealed the tie.

PBDKT got one back just before half time, but it was their only short on target, and that aside they never looked likely to score.

We tried something a little different tactics wise in the 2nd half which lead to Tambi scoring in the 69th minute making the last 20 minutes or so comfortable.

Next up was a league match at home to Perak. The visitors started off as big favourites, but again we hit them quick and hit them hard. We were 2 up after 5 minutes and looked to be coasting.

Nascimento has been, without a doubt, my star player so far this year - bit of a goal machine. But despite scoring once he had bit of a nightmare spooning chance after chance after chance.

We had 10 half chances compared to their 1, whilst they had 2 clear cut chances. My defence were left vulnerable more times than I would like to visit, which led me to thinking that the aggressive 4-2-2-2 was probably best left to the easier home matches.

Next round of the FA Cup was away to Sime Darby, who operate in the 2nd division, Premier League (confusing, right?!).

We used this match to try out a narrow 4-2-2-2 with only the WBs playing wide. A few tweaks at half time made the tactic a little more threatening, but whilst we were more compact at the dark with this tactic (Sime Darby barely had a look in) if it wasn't for a slightly fortunate penalty on 66 minutes, we probably would have struggled to win this tie. But we did, so onto the 4th round we go.

1st leg of the Quarter Final took us to Terengganu, who are sitting pretty in 2nd place in Premier League. Not a lot in it between the 2 teams, but the home side were narrow favourites.

I decided to experiment with a bogstandard 4-4-2, which should suit my players well, and planning on using the whole pitch.

First half was unexciting and barely a highlight in sight. (Hey, it rhymes!)

A few tweaks at half time made the second half much more lively. We went down 1-0 after 63 minutes; Ghani tapping it from 3 yards out.

Their lead was shortlived, as Nascimento again rose to the challenge despite finding the new tactic not quite to his liking.

Had settled for a 1-1 draw when Thanabalan crept behind everyone and scored from a narrow angle making the 2nd leg less of a concern.

Had some really close shaves, and certainly riding my luck, but remain unbeaten somehow!

Next up is an away trip to Polis DRM who are currently in 4th. Expecting this one to be very tough!

results.png

Thanabalan with another very late winner!

So off to Shah Alam we go.

Despite the youth sides really struggling with the width on the 4-4-2, I kept faith in my senior side and made no changes.

Defensively, it is far more solid than expected. Despite not being favourites, we were able to limit them to one shot on target. A long range timid effort that was never going to trouble my keeper.

Offensively, it's not the most threatening, but I like the way it plays. We use the whole pitch. We are able to go from defence to attack in an instant, and although we didn't score from those attacks, we did look dangerous.

Made just the one sub this time due to a lack of options. Well, options that I felt could make a positive difference.

Bohan came on for the tiring Gurusamy, and played a crucial part in the winner.

Ibrahim's blocked cross found Bohan on the edge on the box, and he fired a powerful shot which if it had beaten the keeper would have been an absolute cracker. However, their keeper did manage to get a hand to it pushing the ball onto the woodwork. Thanabalan lingering little more than 6 yards out was able to tap it in securing another 3 points, maintaining our 100% record, shooting us to top of the table and becoming bit of an injury winner hero!

Next up is the 2nd leg of the FA Cup Q/Final. An easier home tie which will enable us to revert back to a more attacking tactic seeing how it compares to the 4-4-2.

PolisDRM-Sarawak.png

4-4-2

For those interested, the 4-4-2 is attached. (Any tips/thoughts on making it more offensively formidable would be appreciated!)

It will also help me when I invariably have a blonde moment and remove the tactic by accident!

4-4-2.png

Cup Run Continues

The 2nd leg against Terengganu was a pretty straight forward affair. We just needed to avoid a loss. We played a 4-2-2-2 and whilst it took us 72 minutes to get on the scoresheet we always looked the better side and looked unlikely to lose.

It may have taken us 72 minutes to score, but it was worth the wait.

A sliding tackle by Fauzi in his own box and on a yellow (!!!) found Thanabalan. A superb long pass by him up to Razak, who won the header, and started his surge towards goal. He ran, and ran and fired a powerful shot into the corner of the net from just outside the penalty box. Their poor keeper never got close to it.

Zakaria made it to 2-0 from a corner - ably assisted by PoM Marieppen, which sealed the deal.

A quirk of the Malaysia FA Cup is that the Q/F and S/F draws took place at the same time, so already we knew we'd up against Kedah, who were having a decent season in the Super League.

Wouldn't have to wait long for that match either.

Sarawak - Terengganu.png

3 more points

Taking a break from the FA Cup briefly, we had a home match against Melaka.

Maintaining faith in what is now considered to be a preferred home formation, we lined up with the 4-2-2-2 again. This time with some tweaks. Which did not work at all!

In fact, we weren't really the better team at all. Melaka had more shots, but many of which were not that threatening.

We had a couple of better chances, but it took a piece of magic by Mini Pele for us to score. Nascimento dribbling his way past their CBs, and then slotting it past the keeper gained us 3 points, 3 hard-earned points, but nonetheless vital.

As an added bonus, main contenders Johor DT could only muster a 1-1 home draw against Perak.

At this very early stage, we have made the predictors look foolish, aswell as our board who were seemingly happy with us avoiding relegation!

Sarawak - Melaka.png

LeagueTable5matches.png

Cup Semi Comeback

Up to the Cup Semi, the biggest crowd Sarawak had played to was 5961 in the away match to Terengganu, so when 23000 strolled up to the FA Cup Semi away to Kedah, it was bit of a shock!

It was such a shock to the system, that the side forgot how to play football at the start of the match.

The first 15 minutes were all about Kedah; highlight after highlight was all about Kedah.

Very much against the run of play, Abdul Razak took us 1-0 ahead. A lovely through ball from Thanabalan found Razak, who ran towards goal, fended off a brief challenge, and slotted it past the keeper.

This lead was shortlived as Kedah equalised on 22 minutes, with a similar goal. Our CBs were caught napping as a long through ball found Mohamad, who slotted it past Cordova.

I was not too disheartened though, as would have taken a draw, since Kedah started the match as even favourites.

However, Nascimento didn't want to settle for a draw it seems...

The Poacher made it to 1-2 early in the second half teaming up with Razak. Razak did most of the hard work finding space on the left, and directing an accurate cross in to Mini Pele, who did the rest.

3 minutes later, he was at it again! This time it was a long whipped cross by Thamabalan that found Nascimento and a classy header from the Brazilian beat the keeper to make it 1-3 and effectively ended the tie.

Very little chances were had by either side for the rest of the match, which suited Sarawak perfectly fine. The downside was Thamabalan picking up another yellow meaning he will miss the second leg of the FA Cup semi.

Kedah-SarawakFA.png

As we go into the 4 week break (phew!), Sarawak are sitting pretty 6 points clear at the top, and have their first major honours in seventeen years!

However, it has came at a price. A number of cruel injuries left me with very much a B-side and no wingers! Attempts were made to use young players, or other players in that position, but lacked penetration, and as a result, we went through bit of a dry spell where we were often outplayed, even though the results were not too bad.

The biggest issue has been Mini-Pele becoming unhappy and wanting to be sold. I agreed since he is too good to be playing in this league, but he went in a strop because I wouldn't sell him for almost half his value! To be fair, he has still been playing well enough. He's come into form again after a couple of iffy matches.

The number of injuries to the wide players has meant I had little option but to develop a third tactic which plays a lot more narrow. I like width and pace, so I was a  bit reluctant, but the new tactic has fared pretty well. I have tweaked it a bit over the month 4 matches or so, but seem to be happier with it now and largely left it alone during the last 2 matches.

It seems to be far more solid defensively (which was needed after the 4-3 debacle!), and whilst the goals were not coming from as many through balls, we are faring well with the crosses.

The highlight of the season so far is the most impressive FA Cup run culminating in a tiring 4-1 win. We could have scored 3 times in the first 15 minutes.

In the end, it took us almost 30 minutes to get into the lead; Van Huizen who has scored some crackers came up with another.

The lead was shortlived, and we went into halftime all square.

We had chances in the second half, but it was quite apparent my players were becoming heavily tired. The passing was sloopy, the running became a slow jog, and the shots were insanely timid and pathetic. So Extra Time did not fill me with confidence, nor did the first half of ET. However, something just clicked in the 2nd half, and we scored three times in 10 minutes! Muhamad saved the best for last with an absolute beauty of a free kick.

The biggest downer was our 4-3 win at Kedah. Don't get me wrong, a win away from home is always good, and Kedah are not a dreadful side. However a wonderful first half where Mini Pele scored a hattrick was greeted to the most abysmal of second halves. A match that should have been comfortable become very stressful, and no tactical changes made any sort of difference whatsoever! But a win's a win...

Now for bit of a pondering stage, where I need to decide to go with a wide tactic when my wingers return (Ibrahim (second best player easily) should be ready in 4 weeks) or to stick with my 4-3-1-2...

LeagueTableHalfway.png

ScheduleHalfway.png

FAFinal.png

Declared champions with 5 matches to go.

The form recently has taken bit of a nose dive, and whilst we have been able to remain unbeaten, we have looked far less comfortable having to use contain to see off some matches.

Very pleasing first full season though, hoping this will give my reputation bit of a boost, so I can work in Europe and hopefully build up a club over there.

Better have a look at the job center!

Champions.png

Pleasing end of the season with a couple of wins.

First season overall went far better than expected. Lost only once all season and that was in the cup.

We didn't look quite so sharp towards the end of the season though, which is strongly linked with Mini Pele playing poorly for 6-8 matches.

Next season will hopefully see a move to Europe, and hopefully developing a smaller club.

endofseason.png

I was hoping for a 2nd or 3rd division side in somewhere like Sweden, Austria or maybe even Russia and helping to build those countries up, but those attempts did not go well.

I guess winning the league in a small country (in Football terms) like Malaysia doesn't count for an awful lot.

So, have accepted the job offer from Sutton United just before Christmas, 2018 in Vanarama League. Exciting times!!!!!

This season will be spent working on tactics, making sure I don't get relegated (not going so well for them so far), and to try and sort out their dodgy finances.

An update following bit of a break away:

Things at Sutton are going better than expected. Currently on a 7 match winning streak and have shot up to 12th place after 30 matches.

My first match in charge was the 1-1 draw away to Wealdstone.

Most recent match was a 5-0 demolition job over Barnet who were actually 3rd at the time. Got an early goal, and we totally controlled them.

My early expectations was to avoid the drop, but we look to be getting a bit better with every game now (despite some defensives woes) and we are only 4 points from the play-off positions.

May even be an outside bet for promotion. Unfortunately, most of our best players are loanees, so that is something I am going to look to change once the finances get sorted out. Half a million in debt is even worse than my own finances!

I never was going to be spending a lot of money at Sutton due to the finances, but things have definitely picked up since signing George Thomas on a free - he's scored 6 from 5 matches so far, and looking playing well too.

The only other purchase was Kieran Evans, a decent youngster with good potential. Picked him up as a potential shadow striker for a strikerless tactic, but the 4-1-2-2-1 is serving me very well at the moment.

Trying to get some riff-raff out of the club, so we can look to do something about the wage bill - very much a work in progress!

sutton.png

Archived