Defensive wingers and Inside Forwards

Evening all,

I have been thinking about using 3 defender formations, 3 centre halves and 4 across the defensive midfield/midfield strata for my next save. Having been messing around on touch with various formations I am thinking of using defensive wingers rather than wing backs. What I am struggling to get my head around is will this sort of thing work with players also in the AMR/AML positions, I am thinking of using Inside Forwards and Raumdeuters for this as I want them coming inside and supporting the striker, an Idea I took from Cleons rather excellent arts of attacking thread. Will it be too cramped or do you think I could pull it off?

Ultimately, once I am back with my laptop I am going to try it anyway, I was just interested in any thoughts in the meantime.

In the game you see Conte's chelsea use wide attackers and wing-backs in the same formation, but not really with players in the midfield strata.

If I had to guess I'd say that their defensive positioning will likely be too cramped and you will find opposition wide attackers have more space as opposition fullbacks try and occupy both your wide-attackers and defensive wingers.

I'd just play some friendly matches with it though and really take note of the positioning, it might be that with intelligent enough footballers you can make it work.

Thanks @Phelix,

That's what I thought. I think I'm going to use Wing Backs for the formation with the AMR/AML STC attacking setup and then use the Defensive wingers with a flat front three and an AM/AM STC set up. Mainly I want to have 3 distinctly different Attacking set ups so as to be able to rotate players and change up depending on how other teams defend.

Thanks for for the advice.

No problem. I currently play a 3-4-1-2 style with three central defenders, a flat midfield four, an AMC and a front two.

I have one winger on attack, the other on support. I don't find that I need to play them as defensive wingers, but that is more down to the qualities of the players in those positions (Jose Gaya and Hector Bellerin).

I always play a 3 centre half based tactic, with two wing backs either side. Depending on your team instructions, your defence unit should be really solid, especially if you play possession football and close down more. Tell the wing backs to sit narrower and they will become like a 5 man midfield, and join in much more as midfielders.

Archived