Can't break down stubborn defences. Please help !

Hi All

I've tried for too long now to try and understand the tactic side of the game but have to hold my hands up and admit defeat. I guess I haven't posted before as quite frankly I didn't really know what to say, what I mean by that is i don't really know what style of play I'm looking for from my team. I remember cleon created a great post a while back for people like me who do not have a specific style in mind when starting. But I am still at a loss with my current situation and hoping someone can help. 

I am currently West Brom. It's the 5th season in the game and I took over them when they got relegated in the 2nd season. I won the championship first time of asking ( I don't really know how ), 2nd season I finished 5th 2 points off a champions league place ( again I don't know how ) got to the semi final of the FA cup. Beat Man City Chelsea and arsenal on their own patches in the league. 

In the summer I recruited well so I thought with better players in my weakest positions but I am now 14 games into the league and have won once. Now i have read many great Columns on here and have tried to implement some of that but still appear to be going wrong. Teams will now be more wary of me due to my performance last year and will sit back and hit me on the counter but it's teams like this that I really struggle against. 

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 usually on standard or a counter against the bigger clubs, flexible as I'm not 100% sure how the other styles affect my team during the game. The only TI I had was slightly higher defensive line due to my back 4 averaging around 14-15 for pace, good anticipation and decision making. 

Roles are as follows :

GK
DR - full back attack 
DC
DC
DL - wing back attack
DM- defensive mid defend
CMR - centre mid attack 
CML- centre mid support
AMR - winger support 
AML - inside forward attack 
ST - deep lying forward support 

I have centre mid attack on more risky passes and shoot more often due to having 17 for long shots. 
WB to stay wider, all other roles to pass short apart from CMR, IF, and winger 

Not every game but i see so may games where I am having numerous long shots and I have tried to change this with work the ball into the box and having PI of shoot less often. 

So apologies for the worlds longest post but I am in need of help please ! 

Much appreciated ! 

Seems like you aren't doing too much wrong, against the defensive sides I'd remove the higher line shout so give yourself a little bit more space as well as adding the play wider team instruction. I'd also suggest that you don't have quite so many players with the shorter passing PI as it might be stifling your play.

Something else to consider, although it shouldn't excuse the results, is that you've overachieved and the ability of your players might not be able to match the reputation raise that causes teems to be more cautious.

16 hours ago, darren1589 said:
Hi All

I've tried for too long now to try and understand the tactic side of the game but have to hold my hands up and admit defeat. I guess I haven't posted before as quite frankly I didn't really know what to say, what I mean by that is i don't really know what style of play I'm looking for from my team. I remember cleon created a great post a while back for people like me who do not have a specific style in mind when starting. But I am still at a loss with my current situation and hoping someone can help. 

I am currently West Brom. It's the 5th season in the game and I took over them when they got relegated in the 2nd season. I won the championship first time of asking ( I don't really know how ), 2nd season I finished 5th 2 points off a champions league place ( again I don't know how ) got to the semi final of the FA cup. Beat Man City Chelsea and arsenal on their own patches in the league. 

In the summer I recruited well so I thought with better players in my weakest positions but I am now 14 games into the league and have won once. Now i have read many great Columns on here and have tried to implement some of that but still appear to be going wrong. Teams will now be more wary of me due to my performance last year and will sit back and hit me on the counter but it's teams like this that I really struggle against. 

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 usually on standard or a counter against the bigger clubs, flexible as I'm not 100% sure how the other styles affect my team during the game. The only TI I had was slightly higher defensive line due to my back 4 averaging around 14-15 for pace, good anticipation and decision making. 

Roles are as follows :

GK
DR - full back attack 
DC
DC
DL - wing back attack
DM- defensive mid defend
CMR - centre mid attack 
CML- centre mid support
AMR - winger support 
AML - inside forward attack 
ST - deep lying forward support 

I have centre mid attack on more risky passes and shoot more often due to having 17 for long shots. 
WB to stay wider, all other roles to pass short apart from CMR, IF, and winger 

Not every game but i see so may games where I am having numerous long shots and I have tried to change this with work the ball into the box and having PI of shoot less often. 

So apologies for the worlds longest post but I am in need of help please ! 

Much appreciated ! 

Overall, I think your roles are quite balanced! 

Something you might want to have a look at is your Wing-back and Full-back. They are both on an attack duty which makes them take more risks; might want to consider supporting roles here. 

You don't necessarily need one, but adding a playmaker role could add some creativity to your side. I would probably change your CM (S) to a DLP (S); he will also keep position better so will provide better cover for your IF (A). Personally, I am not a big fan of long shots so I would never use the instruction ''shoot more often'', I would rather give the CM (A) the ''risky passes'' and ''dribble more'' instructions. (provided that he is a good dribbler of course) This way you have someone that carries the ball forward, runs at defense, sprays with passes and will score goals. 

Instead of using the ''pass shorter'' instructions I would go for ''build from the back''. Your defenders will pass the ball shorter, but further up-field you won't lose that directness you sometimes need to open up stubborn defenses. 

You might of upgraded but did you get players who fit how you play?

You need to do a bit of analysis on those games.  Did you have many shots? What % were on target? Were they resorting to long shots too much? Were you creating good chances? Watch the shots back and see if there was no other option but to shoot then decide if a role/duty chance would help.

Archived