Need help defending against a 4231

I play a 4312 so I know that my flanks are my weak point but I just played 3 matches against teams using a 4231 and I conceded 11 goals all from crosses, most are identical their winger runs down the flank, gets closed down by my wingback, the winger then just passes it back to their fullback who is right behind him, free cross into the box and goal.  Is there any way that I can strengthen my flanks defensively or am I going to have to create a new tactic just so I don't get destroyed by teams using the 4231?

tactic.jpg

I play the same formation and faced similar issues. I think you have a few options;

1) switch your midfield roles so the central one is your play maker and put the other two as CMS with close Dow more PI's so they cover the wings if needed. I also tell them to get forward so they act a bit like a box to box midfielder in possession. You could also switch to full back support with fewer risky passes so you don't get caught in possession in wide areas.

2) play 4132 to nullify their threat with a cm on attack duty

3) change mentality and shape to def/structured to tone the risk down a notch or 3 and keep with your current formation. I would still look at player roles as per point one.

Archived