The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TM:

refuse to listen to Radio Scotland as it's full of sheep like Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds.

Yeah I know Billy used to play for us, but he just seems to have a massive problem with us now and it's just embarassing listening to him on the radio. Wouldn't be surprised if he and the sheep Gordon didn't have anything good to say about the game in Lisbon on Thursday icon14.gif

D'you like anyone in the media TM icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

Hopefully we can keep the pressure on and kill the game off and not let them back into it. Maybe bring on Furman in the second half if we're comfortable.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

refuse to listen to Radio Scotland as it's full of sheep like Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds.

Yeah I know Billy used to play for us, but he just seems to have a massive problem with us now and it's just embarassing listening to him on the radio. Wouldn't be surprised if he and the sheep Gordon didn't have anything good to say about the game in Lisbon on Thursday icon14.gif

D'you like anyone in the media TM icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like ones that are fair, so that pretty much counts out most tabloid ones icon_biggrin.gif can't stand Scotsport's "panel" probably only like Dougie from Sportscene. There are some journalists who are aright though, mostly in the broadsheets though icon_cool.gif

and Burkey \o/

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

BBC has a radio feed. Listen to that icon14.gif

I'd keep Boyd. Perhaps if Walter gets this cash he was promised he'll change his formation - he's already said he doesn't like 4-5-1 but with the players w've got, it kind of forces him to play it. This says to me that next year we'll hopefully go with 2 up front and there aren't many better goal-scorers out there than Boyd.

4-4-2 is a dead formation. How many top sides play it?

4-3-3 all the way.

Originally posted by stevethedog:

Knew he was going to miss that.

Just watched Whitty's goal at Sporting, brilliant stuff. You're welcome icon_wink.gif

I'm just gald you never sold us Brown Steven. How you got £4million out of the micks for him i'll never know. icon14.gif

Good to see Smith back and playing for 90 mins. He will certainly get his chance till the end of the season but maybe the Celtic game may be too early for him. Massive game on Wed- at this stage, a win would be brilliant, a draw would be fine because they need the win more

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Just watched Whitty's goal at Sporting, brilliant stuff. You're welcome icon_wink.gif

I'm just gald you never sold us Brown Steven. How you got £4million out of the micks for him i'll never know. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can abuse us for alot of things this year but signing Brown is defo not one of them.

As much as he hasnt been great under Strachan, he was the main target for both of us last year. And even now we could still sell him for much more than we bought him for, which we wont.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

I'm just gald you never sold us Brown Steven. How you got £4million out of the micks for him i'll never know. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can abuse us for alot of things this year but signing Brown is defo not one of them.

As much as he hasnt been great under Strachan, he was the main target for both of us last year. And even now we could still sell him for much more than we bought him for, which we wont. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm quite happy with Kevin Thomson for half the price thank you.

And with his performances this season so far, you aint gonna make much on him were you to sell him.

Also, I hope you don't, you seem to look a better side without him

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

As much as he hasnt been great under Strachan, he was the main target for both of us last year. And even now we could still sell him for much more than we bought him for, which we wont. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking in from the outside, Brown seems to have played better for Scotland than for Celtic which would suggest some problem with the Manager.

Brown is a fine player but I believe has never been fully happy at Celtic which might explain his patchy form. If he stays he may turn it around but the fee Celtic paid for him (which we did actually match late in the day) and the wages he earns (which we thankfully didn't equal) means the expectations upon him will be always be very high.

Onto our game from yesterday. Awful pitch but some decent weather in a good old-fashioned cup tie at Firhill. Chances aplenty for both sides and thankfully - once again - we made the most of ours despite the 7 changes and poor underfoot conditions. One banana skin belatedly avoided then with another to follow at Hampden next weekend.

Before then we have a huge game coming up in midweek. Win it and I might just start to feel victorious. Lose it and the doubts will increase. Draw it and the status quo remains - although obviously a much better result for us. Certainly Celtic seemed to get the goals Strachan has missed in recent games and they will have a good level of confidence going into Wednesday's match.

Obviously I'd like to think we'll also feel we can get a positive result. The loss of Thomson is disappointing but we should be able to cope. Ferguson and Davis were rested yesterday so they should be fresh for midweek along with JCD, Cousin and McCulloch. We'll need all 5 of these players to be on the top of their form (as well as the rest of the team). If they are, then a draw is the least we can expect. If they're not, then the coming weeks will be even more nervy than any of us would want.

• SI Staff

The latest with the fixtures...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>WED 16 APR: Celtic (A) - SPL

SUN 20 APR: St Johnstone (N) – Scottish Cup Semi Final

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Bayern/Zenit (N) - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

WED 21 MAY: FREE

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) - Scottish Cup Final

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

It's going to be a nightmare for the SPL if Celtic win on Wednesday night. They'll be hoping for a Rangers win and the league to be all but over so there is less outrage at making us play every second day.

IMO they are going to have to schedule a game for Wednesday 21st May and provisionally schedule one for Wednesday 14th May which would have to be moved to something like Monday 19th May were we to reach the UEFA Cup Final. Only other dates to squeeze in are Tuesday 22nd April (not likely) or Tuesday 29th April (we'll probably be flying out to Florence)

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gersguy_13:

Anyone have any idea when tickets for the Fiorentina game go on public sale? Rangers website doesn't say

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/ClubNewsDe...0,,5~1287597,00.html

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah either my eyesight is failing miserably, or public sale isn't mentioned there. If season ticket holders have until Wednesday I'll just assume public sale starts on Thursday. It was the Thursday a week before the game last time.

Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday, Wednesday etc. would have been the way to go if all the fixtures were all SPL but like you Ter, I can't see how they are going to fit all this in unless we get dumped out of a competition, and by the silence coming from the SPL I think that's what they are secretly wanting to happen to us.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Your game with us is on the 18th by the way, it's the Sunday. Half 1 kick off I think.

Yeah you're right. Updated!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>WED 16 APR: Celtic (A) - SPL

SUN 20 APR: St Johnstone (N) – Scottish Cup Semi Final

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina (H) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina (A) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Bayern/Zenit (N) - UEFA Cup Final

SUN 18 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

WED 21 MAY: FREE

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) - Scottish Cup Final

Still to be scheduled:

St Mirren (A) – SPL

Motherwell (A) – SPL

• SI Staff

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Rino to receive Milan axe?

Press reports in Italy suggest that Milan could begin their summer clearout by sensationally selling Gennaro Gattuso.

The world champions have just five games left to save their season and secure Champions League football by clawing back fourth-placed Fiorentina’s four-point lead.

With the Rossoneri’s squad ageing, they are expected to make sweeping changes at the end of the campaign wherever they finish in the table and Gattuso, who has disappointed this term, could make way for new blood.

There have been suggestions that Bayern Munich could step in to sign the 30-year-old, who would link up with Azzurri teammate Luca Toni.

It has been reported that Premier League sides Tottenham and Newcastle and Scottish giants Rangers are keeping an eye on the Gattuso situation.

A move across the Channel doesn’t seem out of the question given that Rino spent the 1997-98 season with Rangers and has a Scottish wife.

Source: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/apr14f.html

To be honest, I don't think we need him. icon_biggrin.gif

But, RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINO!

I recall closing my eyes and wincing at this tackles when he was young- imagine what it will be like when he is a bit older and his timimg may have gone a little! I think he could still be a star in the SPL for 2 or 3 years yet though.

Archived