The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn I guess we're really not top of the league, Scottish & UEFA Semi-finalists and CIS Diddy Cup holders then icon_frown.gif

People who spout crap like that are really just in the last stages of desperation. Lets see now, Walter anti-football Smith, who has guided us to the above + , or Gordon headless chicken Strachan whose silky, sexy football has won this season so much..... erm tough choice.

Not taken either of them long to start seeping bitterness from every pore. Must be drilled into them from the minute they pull on the shirt.

Still waiting on these OF goals you promised last time, Georgios. The irony of someone from Greece moaning about our system too. icon_biggrin.gif

Decent piece in today's Guardian that's a nice retort to those two numbskulls. Not sure about the "creative skills" of Charlie Adam though!

Rangers on the defensive to keep fighting on three fronts

No one will accuse Rangers of being anti-football if they claim the quadruple, and victory in tonight's Old Firm derby will set them on their way

Ewan Murray

It was Lionel Messi, of all people, who started it. The Barcelona striker, perturbed at the tactics employed by Rangers during a Champions League match earlier this season, branded Rangers an "anti-football" side. And boy has the label stuck. Messi had a point - on that November night, Rangers' defenders were in danger of trampling over punters in the stands, they played so deep. But if there is one team in the world to sit in and play a packed defence against, it is Barcelona; look what happened to Celtic when they tried to be expansive a few months later.

There have been times, notably against unquestionably weaker opposition in home European ties, when Rangers have seemed more negative than is perhaps necessary. However, last Thursday's showing against Sporting in Lisbon should destroy the widely-held assumption that Walter Smith has assembled a team of glorified hammer throwers in the last 15 months. With passing and territorial domination that was as striking as any Scottish team have displayed on foreign soil for many years, Smith's men proved that they can and do play good football when afforded even half an opportunity. It was no coincidence, of course, that the playing surface in the José Alvalade stadium was immaculate.

Barry Ferguson, Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis - the core of the Rangers midfield - are far from anti-football players. Ferguson remains the most talented midfielder in Scotland, Thomson's left-foot passing is seldom afforded the recognition it deserves and Davis combines guile with industry to positive effect. Those who yearn for the creative skills of Chris Burke or Charlie Adam should recall that such players were unable to save Paul Le Guen's job.

Smith's favoured 4-5-1 formation, with two wide midfielders operating as auxiliary attackers when Rangers go forward, is not as negative as it sounds. And it is successful - a rare change to 4-4-2 during a recent league match against Dundee United saw Rangers lose three goals and drop two points. Ironically if, and it remains a big if, the Rangers manager bows to public pressure and attempts to inject flair into his team for next season, they may not be nearly as successful as they have been in this one.

Rather than flying in the face of the ethos of football, good defending is an art in itself - Rangers should not be criticised for being highly capable at the back and having, in Carlos Cuellar, the outstanding player of the Scottish campaign to date. The finest teams in the world have all been built from a solid backline and Smith's ethos is perfectly logical. The manager has at least retained a sense of humour amid criticism of his policy. When Smith was told as he received the SPL's manager of the year award on Monday night that this 4-5-1 lark just would not do, he responded: "Aye ... too many forwards!"

Those who question Rangers' capabilities at the business end of the pitch should consider that only one team in Europe - Ajax - has scored more goals than Rangers this season. Smith will adopt one of his most cautious approaches this evening, as Rangers realistically need only a point at Celtic Park to secure the Premier League title. Few managers would do otherwise; Martin O'Neill's Celtic were frequently one-dimensional, arguably more so than Rangers are now, but supporters cared not one iota, and why would they have worried when trophy success arrived so regularly? It wasn't anti-football then, and should not be termed as such by carping onlookers today.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

People who spout crap like that are really just in the last stages of desperation. Lets see now, Walter anti-football Smith, who has guided us to the above + , or Gordon headless chicken Strachan whose silky, sexy football has won this season so much..... erm tough choice.

It's funny, Celtic have been rotten, absolutely rotten, at points this season, but the myth rumbles on that they're the "footballing" side. Maybe if their players started looking at their own failings and cared less about how other teams go about their business, they'd not be out of all but one competition.

I think it's also indicative from those interviews how little respect Strachan commands from his players now. All our pre-match talk has been far less provocative and, well, stupid. Who would want their own players to rile the opponents so much on the morning of a game? It's very odd.

They much the same thing before the last game as well. I always think it's interesting how players react in the media before big games, because it's usually the ones low on confidence that come out and spout the pish - the other ones don't need to.

Of course they might win tonight, its their last chance after their last chance and even a win in both Old Firm games for them probably wouldn't be enough, but I'd rather get this done and dusted asap, bugger last day wins. I think there is a very good chance of a goalless draw, and a draw for us suits quite nicely. I expect Celtic to be on the offensive from the start, but if we score first - or even I suspect second to make it 1-1 - then the Celtic heads will go down as they did at Ibrox.

Should be an interesting game. I suspect most so-called neutrals will want them to win to 'keep the title race alive', but then I've never cared what other people think.

• SI Staff
I think there is a very good chance of a goalless draw, and a draw for us suits quite nicely. I expect Celtic to be on the offensive from the start, but if we score first - or even I suspect second to make it 1-1 - then the Celtic heads will go down as they did at Ibrox.

I would agree with that. I think if we get the first goal then their heads might go down and we could grab another. Should be an interesting match anyway!

Good article from Spiers Jnr actually... icon14.gif

Thanks to Samaras and Donati for performing Smith's teamtalk for him. Difficult game to predict as (despite some people's claims) both teams are evenly matched and both are capable of winning.

In recent times it seems the first goal is all important and that will probably be true again tonight. I expect to Celtic to come at us very quickly and directly from kick off. If we can weather that storm and frustrate their fans then that should suit us pretty well.

Should be another good game.

It would be great if we could win this match, get the league over and done with and then stick the likes of Furman, Gow, Buffel, Webster, Alexander, Lennon and Fleck in the starting XI for the next Parkhead match. That would be the ultimate "GIRUY" to them. icon_biggrin.gif

And we'd win that match also.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

It would be great if we could win this match, get the league over and done with and then stick the likes of Furman, Gow, Buffel, Webster, Alexander, Lennon and Fleck in the starting XI for the next Parkhead match. That would be the ultimate "GIRUY" to them. icon_biggrin.gif

If we win this evening the league still isn't over, so that would be a bit stupid considering it will be our next league match!

In fact if we lose tonight and the next OF match, and they win against the Sheep, then we'll be five points behind them.

Albeit we will have three games in hand. Shades of 79, excepting they can't win the title in their final OF match - well unless it gets postponed icon_wink.gif

Point being, it's far from over.

Point being, it's far from over.

No doubt about it. icon14.gif

It sounds daft saying that with a 10 point lead (after games in hand) but as we've seen this season, the Old Firm can drop points against St Mirren, 'Well, Aberdeen, Utd and Hibs easily enough. That means any lead is not insurmountable so the only time I'll believe we've won it is when/if our lead cannot be caught mathematically.

As we've seen this century that might not be to the last kick of the last game.

Ergo, while confidence is all well and good, over-confidence and arrogance (not that I'm saying anyone is on here btw) only sets you up for a fall.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

If we win this evening the league still isn't over, so that would be a bit stupid considering it will be our next league match! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was convinced we played one of our games in hand in between. Oh well.

Originally posted by Ter:

I see Samaras and Donati have just given us all the motivation we need for the rest of the season.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2008/04/16/samaras-a...opes-86908-20384566/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CELTIC pair Georgios Samaras and Massimo Donati launched a two-pronged attack on Rangers last night by branding Walter Smith's side long-ball merchants who have NO CHANCE of reaching the UEFA Cup Final.

No chance icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hilarious when you actually read the quotes and they dont say anything like it icon_biggrin.gif

"I don't care how they play but how we play. That is the most important thing and we must focus on our performance and how we are going to win the game.
He said: "Rangers are not a team that plays fantastic football but they are very strong as a group.

Would think their was an old firm game tonight with reporting like this icon_biggrin.gif

"My opinion is that they don't try to play football.

"They are all back in defence and try to make the counter-attack with one striker on top. I expected them to play more football and try to pass the ball and do something but they do something else."

It seems he's suggesting we are long ball merchants that don't know how to pass.

"In my opinion, the Final will be between Bayern Munich and Fiorentina."

He obviously thinks we have no chance of reaching the final. Obviously the papers are trying to make more of a story of it but the quotes do seem to back them up. If he thought we had a chance he wouldn't have ruled us out of a final.

Doesn't have to be an OF game for there to be hyperbole in a tabloid newspaper, but the meat of the interviews, especially Samaras', still comes across as laughably bitter, flawed and ill-timed considering how his own side has performed this season.

Well first thing, the Daily Record is a joke.

You don't pass the ball about very often, which is a failing in our side as we try to do it far too often and end up getting lost at sea before Naylor lumps it to JVoH. There's nothing wrong with the long/direct route, it's hardly like he's calling you a bunch of no-hopers, quite the opposite infact.

And there's nothing wrong with believing that your team has the better players, it's about time one of our players came out and tried to sound confident as opposed to pish Mick coming out and saying how great Ferguson is.

All Donati says is that he believes missing Thomson and Ferguson will hurt you, hardly bitter and twisted is it?

It wouldnt be like the local press to try and stir up some controversy just before an OF match, now would it?

It sometimes astonishes me that that can take a comment and interpret it the diametric opposite way than it was intended, thereby making a good headline out of it.

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"My opinion is that they don't try to play football.

"They are all back in defence and try to make the counter-attack with one striker on top. I expected them to play more football and try to pass the ball and do something but they do something else."

It seems he's suggesting we are long ball merchants that don't know how to pass.

He obviously thinks we have no chance of reaching the final. Obviously the papers are trying to make more of a story of it but the quotes do seem to back them up. If he thought we had a chance he wouldn't have ruled us out of a final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever thought about a job at the record icon_biggrin.gif

Donati just says who he thinks will be in the final, the two favourites. But since he plays for us hes flawed and bitter. Didn't mention your chances at all.

I also think the final will be between those two teams :bitter: :flawed:

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"My opinion is that they don't try to play football.

He obviously thinks we have no chance of reaching the final. Obviously the papers are trying to make more of a story of it but the quotes do seem to back them up. If he thought we had a chance he wouldn't have ruled us out of a final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever thought about a job at the record icon_biggrin.gif

Donati just says who he thinks will be in the final, the two favourites. But since he plays for us hes flawed and bitter. Didn't mention your chances at all.

I also think the final will be between those two teams :bitter: :flawed: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I'm doing is reading what HE actually said. As for the final, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

And there's nothing wrong with believing that your team has the better players, it's about time one of our players came out and tried to sound confident as opposed to pish Mick coming out and saying how great Ferguson is.

Confidence, aye, maybe a private sense of superiority, sure, but public arrogance and disrespect for your opponents isn't something I'd look to nurture in a set of players. I can't imagine there being much more footballers like to do better than knock players who spout off down a peg or two.

Entirely true and it could backfire and fire up the Rangers team but for us, it's refreshing to see our players talking about being 'better' as opposed to the spineless interviews that McManus and Presley & co have given over the last 12 months about how great Rangers are. While, that may and does hold truth to it, it's not exactly the attitude I'd expect our players to have.

I know you guys didn't like him, but Sutton took the right attitude to these games of "we're better than you and we're going to prove it".

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

Entirely true and it could backfire and fire up the Rangers team but for us, it's refreshing to see our players talking about being 'better' as opposed to the spineless interviews that McManus and Presley & co have given over the last 12 months about how great Rangers are. While, that may and does hold truth to it, it's not exactly the attitude I'd expect our players to have.

I know you guys didn't like him, but Sutton took the right attitude to these games of "we're better than you and we're going to prove it".

Sutton had the quality to do his talking on the pitch as well as in the press though. He came up here with talk of "putting Rangers in their place" and to be fair to him, immediately started putting his words into action - a far cry from numpties like Caldwell who run their mouths then are found wanting when it matters.

If anyone needed any reason not to disrespect the opponents before a game just look to Celtics run in the "Seville Season". Before every tie the opponents ran their mouths only for them to leave with their tails between their legs. It used to do my head in. It was obviously the only reason they got to the final. icon_razz.gif

wtf, Setanta's promo there icon_biggrin.gif

based on Walter "haunting" Strachan, so it shows somebody with ginger hair getting followed in certain places in Glasgow, with everybody "Strachan" looks at morphing into Walter icon_biggrin.gif

Team for tonight:

McGregor

Broadfoot, Cuellar, Weir, Papac

Whittaker, Ferguson, Dailly, Davis and McCulloch

JCD

Subs: Aleaxander , Novo, Naismith, Boyd, Cousin , Lennon and Furman.

Neil lennon taking his new coaching role seriously by infiltrating the Rangers bench?

Not a bad first half, but far far away from good if you know what im trying to get at. We have been solid defensively and only an absolute screamer managed to break us. Still in the game and i think Daniel Cousin would give us something we are currently missing

so....a stunning goal and 1-0 at HT, questions:

where was Ferguson in that half? infact where has Ferguson been for the last month or so

why wasn't anyone able to pass a ball and then take a first touch to keep it?

time to ask those questions of the team Ally/Walter, all credit to Celtic - they look like a team wanting to win the game, we look like we couldn't care less. Oh and get McCulloch off, could put a wheelie bin on the left and get more movement off it

Not a good 1st half at all. Stunning strike from Nakamura though, got to give him credit for that.

Need someone to get up in support of JCD, and try and keep the ball a bit better, Ferguson really needs to step up (not expecting it to happen though)

Total pish so far, but one fluke goal is all that seperates the sides. Still, if they win it gives them false hope of thinking the title is still on.

For all their possession we are lucky they are pretty poor. We have, as has been normal this season, played poorly.

We are using this long ball to McCulloch too often, we are a better side when we are without him.

The good thing is that we have plenty of attacking options on the bench in Cousin, Novo, Naismith and Boyd.

If we get Cousin on we'll get back into this.

As you say if they win they will believe that they will be back in it, I dont think so, even if we do lose against them next week also.

Originally posted by TM:

Oh and get McCulloch off, could put a wheelie bin on the left and get more movement off it

McCulloch is the biggest waste of space in the squad. All he can do is barge people about. He doesn't even win half of his headers, and can't score from two yards. icon13.gif

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Ferguson really needs to step up (not expecting it to happen though)

ferguson has been posted missing once again and its not a surprise, his ankle injury is used as the excuse that he's not doing well. If thats the case then he needs to get is sorted. At the moment he's not giving us enough to warrant the outlay we have in him.

McCulloch is a total joke tbh. Useless, semi-intelligent fud. Makes you wonder whats going through that tiny of brain of his at times they way he behaves. Total disgrace of a player, who adds absolutelty nothing at all to the team. At least Kirk Broadfoot tries his best.

Ferguson seems to be a lot deeper tonight for some reason, and Davis just isn't doing anything on the left side. Lot of questions to be answered but hell, losing here isn't the end of the world.

surprised McCulloch hasn't been booked tbh, practically every time I've seen him he's been fouling somebody or getting fouled himself

persistent fouling booking can't be too far away

losing here isn't the end of the world.

Far from it, in fact we can even afford to lose the next one too. If the right changes are made we can get something from this, I hope Smith doesnt leave it too long though.

Archived