The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

DAVIE WEIR and Celtic's Gary Caldwell are facing potential suspensions after angry scenes at the end of tonight's 2-1 defeat at Parkhead.

A series of altercations broke out at the final whistle and players had to be restrained by team mates and officials.

It is understood that Weir and Caldwell were called to referee Kenny Clark's room after things had calmed down. It also believed that another Celtic player was spoken to by the referee.

Weir and Caldwell could now miss their clubs' next matches - St Johnstone and Aberdeen respectively - but would be clear to play in the next Old Firm game in 11 days' time.

Carlos Cuellar is already out of that match after his red card tonight while Kevin Thomson is also missing as he completes his two-match SPL ban.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well to me saying we only won under certain conditions is just wrong.

Show me where I said that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

apologies, it was actually TM that said it

but for you to say that its me being a bad winner for disagreeing with him is daft considering how the game went.

its not as though i came on to gloat about a us winning or anything because i know that tonights game will probably be completely meaningless

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

We just need to win 5 of the remaining 7.... no biggie icon_biggrin.gif

Well it's not biggie considering our recent run tbh. I don't think the players we have will bottle it, but they certainly need to take heed of the warning and going into the next OF match in 2nd place might just wake some of them up.

Originally posted by BlueAndWhiteArmy_91:

Celtic deserved the win.

No questions.

All sorts going on afterwards.

What about the coin toss eh? Anything will be done about that?

In the words of Strchan "I wouldnae put ma mortgage on it"

Probably the same action for the fans in the away end throwing potatoes at Barry Robson.

• SI Staff

We just need to win 5 of the remaining 7.... no biggie icon_biggrin.gif

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

SUN 18 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

??? ?? ???: St Mirren (A) – SPL

??? ?? ???: Motherwell (A) – SPL

Not going to be easy! And that's assuming Celtic win all of their matches, which I don't think they'll do. And if they do, fair play to them.

Ferguson once again proved my assessment of him last summer was completely on the money. icon_frown.gif

Fair play to Celtic, on the balance of the 90 minutes they deserved to win. As I was working, I could only catch glimpses of the game, but no complaints, other than petty ones such as asking why McGeady wasn't at least booked for shoving Novo - however, that didn't influence the outcome of the game at all.

Was hoping Thomson's suspension was only 1 game, we really missed him tonight.

Hmm sounds like a knee-jerk reaction but you can check back in the thread I have said this more than once icon_wink.gif

Ferguson is someone we need to look seriously at replacing in the summer, sure on his day he's the best in the league BUT those days are becoming few and far between and with the injuries mounting can he seriously get back to the player he was?

Davis/Thomson in the middle for me next season. Some will say "thankfully you're not the Rangers manager" and yeah he'll still be here next season icon_biggrin.gif

thread about this on FF I noticed tonight, his contract apparently expires in the summer of 2009 as well. When he's on his game, he's probably our best midfielder, but the amount of injuries he has just seems to wreck his game.

He's been ineffective for about 2 months or so now, yet continues to stay in the team and with us getting to the business end of the season, we seriously cannot afford passengers - we already have one with the carthorse in the left side of midfield, we don't need another one in the centre of it. I know he has an injury though so at least he has an excuse, unlike some

Thomson/Davis would do me fine actually, bags of energy, not really sure if Hemdani will still be here after the summer so we might have to buy there for a steady DMC sort of player, although Baz will be there - can't see Walter having the baws to sell him especially with the reaction seen in that FF thread and the reaction you'd get from fans of the club

Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Why do I feel that Aberdeen game is going to be massive....

because your a bawbag

CELLTTTICCC

YAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your up late, no skool in the morning

It's not a knee jerk reaction - I said last summer I was worried he was finished and nothing he's done this season - save from a wonderful performance against Celtic in the first OF game - has made me think that I might have been wrong last summer.

IMO, we should be looking to build a side that will dominate for the next 5 years. Ferguson simply does not fit into those plans - he is far too great an injury risk.

Robson and Hartley was Celtic's central duo tonight - two players who are 30ish and who for the majority of their careers have been nothing more than SPL journeymen. The fact that Ferguson couldn't get near them speaks volumes for where he is currently.

I'm sick of injuries being an excuse as well. I don't care how good a player you are - if you're injured, you shouldn't be playing. Injuries or not, Ferguson will never again be the player he was 5 years ago, and people need to accept that. If we have capable of hitting the same heights, he'd have shown it at some point in the last 3 years. He's had good games here and there, but nothing like what we saw first time around.

He's finished at the highest level. We have 2 fine central midfielders who have their best years in front of, not behind, them and it's those 2 who we should be building a side round, not someone who's best days are behind them.

Amoruso and Albertz were great servants of the club, but were moved on when their time was up. Ferguson is fast approaching that time.

Originally posted by TM:

thread about this on FF I noticed tonight, his contract apparently expires in the summer of 2009 as well. When he's on his game, he's probably our best midfielder, but the amount of injuries he has just seems to wreck his game.

He's been ineffective for about 2 months or so now, yet continues to stay in the team and with us getting to the business end of the season, we seriously cannot afford passengers - we already have one with the carthorse in the left side of midfield, we don't need another one in the centre of it. I know he has an injury though so at least he has an excuse, unlike some

Thomson/Davis would do me fine actually, bags of energy, not really sure if Hemdani will still be here after the summer so we might have to buy there for a steady DMC sort of player, although Baz will be there - can't see Walter having the baws to sell him especially with the reaction seen in that FF thread and the reaction you'd get from fans of the club

I noticed the thread but thy shall not dissth #6 on there apparently icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

because your a bawbag

CELLTTTICCC

Such an awesome input to the thread.

I noticed the thread but thy shall not dissth #6 on there apparently icon_biggrin.gif

FF is an odd beast.

I was one of the few who went against the tide and defended him in the opening months of 2005/06, when Barry bashing was the done thing. Now I go against the tide by being critical of him and asking what exactly he brings to the side.

He was equally as anonymous tonight as he was on the 29th March - only tonight he didn't have the luxury of Kevin Thomson carrying the entire midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

because your a bawbag

CELLTTTICCC

Such an awesome input to the thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sometimes you got to keep it simple lol

He was equally as anonymous tonight as he was on the 29th March - only tonight he didn't have the luxury of Kevin Thomson carrying the entire midfield.

won't have it on 27th April either icon_frown.gif

seriously hope Walter was noting down stuff in the last 10-15 minutes, Cousin came on and won practically every header and got it to a man, compared to McCulloch who pretty much won nothing in the whole game. JCD was getting high balls booted to him which was just playing to his weakness due to his height, with Cousin we'd have probably got another goal last night I reckon actually if he'd been on from the start.

Hopefully it's him to play the striking role next time, with JCD playing the cameo off the bench to use his pace

Team v St Johnstone:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Whittaker Dailly Weir Smith

Novo Thomson Davis McCulloch

Naismith Cousin

</pre>

v Fiorentina:

McGregor

Whittaker Cuellar Weir Papac

Dailly

Novo Hemdani Davis Naismith

Cousin

</pre>

v Celtic:

McGregor

Whittaker Dailly Weir Papac

Hemdani

Novo Davis Ferguson Naismith

Cousin

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

because your a bawbag

CELLTTTICCC

Such an awesome input to the thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sometimes you got to keep it simple lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple, yup.

Poor result then but not entirely unexpected.

We started reasonably well but then retreated far too deep and invited Celtic onto us. Strachan was actually quite clever but ensuring his midfielders sat quite deep as well. As such, because our defence were camped on their 18 yard line for most of the first half, there was a lot of space for the likes of Robson et al to operate.

Nonetheless despite their pressure there were few chances and it again took a couple of moments of brilliance for the first two goals. After half-time we looked the better team and I was just getting comfy when Papac/McCulloch allowed Nakamura to get another shot away. Cuellar reacted as most players would and I doubt we could have asked for a worst thing than a red card for him.

Great save though from the ever-impressive McGregor (hope it's not ligament damage) but after that we were always going to invite more pressure. Again though Celtic didn't really cause any problems until they scored. Again, Caldwell was allowed to chip the ball in and it was quite a well worked goal actually.

Generally I have no complaints about the result. We took too long to get going and allowing wide players to cross the ball (or shoot) has been costly for us lately.

Important thing is that we're still in front, although the loss of Cuellar, Thomson and possibly McGregor for a week on Sunday could prove extremely debilitating, in what will likely be a similar rematch. They should take a fair bit of confidence from the result last night so I doubt they'll drop any more points this season.

As such, I now feel we're going to have to lift our own game and ensure we win every match to bring the title back to Ibrox. Hopefully we can raise our own confidence levels with a good win against St Johnstone and a solid result in the UEFA Cup.

It's going to be an extremely nervy time ahead. This is where Walter's experience will prove vital!

If Walter does have a failing, it's that he sometimes has this area of blind loyalty. If he was looking logically at it, Mcculloch would be nowhere near the team, Barry would 'rested' and he would never have bought Kirk Broadfoot in the first place. But none of these three players will be dropped - barring serious injury. And Barry is at the stage now that he will play on regardless, particularly this season because he knows he will never get a chance like this again. In a way, he's being pretty damned selfish, he must know he isn't performing even at 70% and it simply isn't good enough.

Apart from Sporting, where I felt he did have a good enough game, he has been annonymous far too long. I'm not really sure what the Rangers fans obsession with Barry is, he never was that great a player in the first place - his brother Derek was far more talented. Yet somehow he gets declared the best players of his generation by some - ok perhaps he was, but he hardly had much competition. If you were compiling an all time Rangers side, no-one in their right mind would have Ferguson anywhere near it. That of course is not Barry's fault, he can only play as well he can, and at times that has been pretty decent but there are times when he is just pish and as Ginger says, the injury excuses are just becoming annoying. If you've got an injury, get out the team, get it sorted and then see if you can come back. Perhaps he's scared he can't?

I agree with Frankie, I don't think Celtic will drop anymore points this season and so therefore we simply have to do the same. The nexr OF game could be psychologically crucial as if could move them five points clear and whatever you say, points in the bag are what matter and with the pressure mounting there would be no guarantee we could win all three games in hand. Especially with the amount of passengers we're carrying, the potential loss of McGregor for the rest of the season, missing Thomson and Cuellar for key games.

Still, at least we have the CIS Cup in the bag....

Accuse me of bias if you want, but i've never been really impressed with Ferguson whenever i've seen him, a few Scotland matches aside.

He's a good player, there's no denying that, but he's not the superstar some of you lot make him out to be. To me, he's just another good midfielder whos a bit overrated.

I will say one thing however. I don't think Scotland are a better team without him, like a number of fans like to say. Sure, there'll be some games that he won't suit or a pair of games that we'll lose one game and win the other (Belarus then Slovenia in the last WC qualifying.) However, he's still one of the better midfielders that can play for Scotland and he should still be picked, unless he implodes.

Still don't think he should be captain though. Used to think it should be Dailly, as i used to really like him (well, i still do despite him joining you).

I'm up far too early and typing far too much pish today icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif

I thought McCulloch was reasonable enough after half-time actually. Him and Papac had a misunderstanding at the penalty incident but other than that, there was little trouble down that side for us. The problem with them though is that they offer little in terms of attacking threat and genuine quality. Continual long balls to McCulloch are all too easy to read and that one-dimensional play isn't good enough.

Not sure what the situation is with Ferguson. On form he is a great player but he's been off the boil for most of this season. He may well be injured (and he is receiving cortisone injections) but if this injury is affecting his play so much, then he shouldn't be playing. Simple.

Overall though there's no need to panic. The destination of the title remains in our hands and while we may struggle again at CP next week, we still have a squad more than capable of winning the league. Whittaker will now resume at right back with a more attacking player in front of him.

This will help us get forward a bit more as, while the 4-5-1 has worked well, I think some of our players use it as an excuse to sit extremely deep and avoid genuine hard work to get forward throughout the game.

• SI Staff

Sorry Frankie, but McCulloch has been posted missing for months now and it's time he was dropped from the side. He offers no attacking threat except a lumped ball to him (how many of those did he win last night?)

It's time for Naismith, Burke, Buffel or even Gow to be given a chance in that position. Someone who is going to offer a genuine attacking threat.

I agree with Whittaker moving to his normal position though. Thought he did well last night and put in some solid challenges.

Whittaker definately needs to be back at the right back spot. Broadfoot if nothing else is at least an honest player, he tries his best and he knows his limitations but he simply isn't good enough. Moving Whittaker back should allow Novo/Burke some time on the right and might be useful in the run in.

Not panicking at all Frankie, the league is still ours to win, but thats the points, its still to be won and far too many people were just assuming it was over. It wasn't, and it still isn't.

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't be dropped. He's not playing that great but, to be honest, not many of the team are at the moment - defence and goalie excluded.

Don't like Naismith on the left, don't like Burke on the left and I doubt Buffel or Gow would offer much at this late stage either.

That's why McCulloch continues to play as we have no other options. I'd maybe consider putting Davis out there though as we certainly need to freshen it up.

• SI Staff

I'd go with this side for the game against Celtic...

GK: McGregor (if fit)

DR: Whittaker

DL: Papac

DC: Weir

DC: Dailly

MC: Ferguson

MC: Davis

MC: Hemdani

FR: Darcheville

FL: Cousin

FC: Boyd

Incredibly harsh on the likes of Novo (he can come on for JCD) but I think that side would take 6 off Celtic. We'd probably concede 5 though, but it would be a cracker of a game.

Broadfoot's only use, from the little I've seen of him, would surely be in a role where he has a lot of protection - a sitting midfield role or a defensively minded wide midfielder with a fullback to cover. He's not got the ability to win personal battles with anyone of any genuine quality on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Ter:

I'd go with this side for the game against Celtic...

GK: McGregor (if fit)

DR: Whittaker

DL: Papac

DC: Weir

DC: Dailly

MC: Ferguson

MC: Davis

MC: Hemdani

FR: Darcheville

FL: Cousin

FC: Boyd

Incredibly harsh on the likes of Novo (he can come on for JCD) but I think that side would take 6 off Celtic. We'd probably concede 5 though, but it would be a cracker of a game.

Weir and Dailly at CB? Faroes all over again. icon_biggrin.gif

Allan McGregor and Lee McCulloch are set to miss Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final with St Johnstone and are doubts for the Uefa Cup date with Fiorentina.

Goalkeeper McGregor suffered an ankle injury and midfielder McCulloch damaged his foot during the 2-1 Scottish Premier League defeat by Celtic on Wednesday night.

Assistant manager Ally McCoist was still waiting for the results of scans on the duo, but admitted his concern.

Rangers are looking to book their place in the final of the Scottish Cup against Queen of the South when they tackle St Johnstone this weekend.

And the next step of their bid for a trophy quadruple this season sees them up against Serie A side Fiorentina in their Uefa Cup semi-final first leg at Ibrox next Thursday.

McCulloch managed to play the full match but an early challenge by Celtic's Paul Hartley on the Rangers man, which resulted in a booking for the Hoops midfielder, took its toll.

"Lee's foot looks horrendous," McCoist said.

"The swelling is massive and there's very bad bruising on it. But that may not necessarily be a bad thing, as long as nothing is broken.

"It's purely my own guess but I would think he would be doubtful for the Fiorentina game."

McGregor hobbled off towards the end of the Celtic defeat and McCoist added: "I'm not a medical man but the way he came off suggests he could be struggling for a week or so."

McCoist has full confidence in reserve goalkeeper Neil Alexander, however losing McGregor, who has had an outstanding season, was nevertheless an unwelcome prospect.

"McGregor would be a big loss, of course," McCoist said. "We would be hopeful of having Allan back sooner rather than later.

"He has been outstanding of course but we've got no problem with Neil."

Nervy rest of season I think. With suspensions and injuries like what we have now and with all of the games being absolutely massive we can't afford to lose anyone else.

Originally posted by Frankie:

I thought McCulloch was reasonable enough after half-time actually. Him and Papac had a misunderstanding at the penalty incident but other than that, there was little trouble down that side for us.

Calling a complete failure to close someone down who's cutting inside onto their favoured side a misunderstanding is being extremely generous. McCulloch was entirely at fault for that incident.

McCulloch was, and has been useless all season. Archie McPherson summed it up against Sporting when he asked why McCulloch was in the team as he couldn't see any benefits to him playing.

He's useless. All he did against Celtic was give them free-kicks by backing into players and failing to jump for headers, clearly with the intention of trying to con the ref into giving the fowl our way.

When Broadfoot gets on the ball I get very nervous. I don't understand what he's doing here. He can't really tackle (Davis does that job for him) and he sure as hell can't pass. We saw against Celtic that Whittaker AND Broadfoot were given the task of stopping McGeady but they were absolutely useless at it.

Smith should have played. Was there a reason he wasn't? Was it too soon to throw him into an Old Firm game or something? Ferguson is completely devoid of fitness so that argument doesn't stand.

Speaking of Ferguson, what some people have posted here is correct. He is selfish. He's a good player when 100% fit but the problem we have is he wants to be involved in all the action when clearly he's struggling. We shouldn't be playing through a player who's 70% fit at best. Ferguson used to carry Rangers through games, now it's the other way around and for the sake of the team he should rest for the rest of the season say he should try and get fit for next year.

Of course, he'll be anxious to win the SPL, UEFA Cup, SC like the rest of the players and wants to be involved. Smith really should have the guts to tell him he isn't going to play though. I think Rangers are too scared to see how we'd play without Ferguson and that's why they'll refuse to drop him. Silly thing is, we play just as well when he isn't in the team.

RANGERS' quest for a successful end to an already remarkable campaign has been dealt a blow due to injuries to Lee McCulloch and Allan McGregor.

McCulloch is suffering from a major ankle injury and McGregor has problems in the same area following last night's Old Firm derby.

McGregor is looking at a two-week lay-off which means he will miss Saturday's Scottish Cup semi-final with St Johstone, probably both legs of the UEFA Cup semi-final with Fiorentina and the final Celtic match on April 27

McCulloch problems appear to be worse and he is looking at being out for longer than that.

Lee was caught late by Paul Hartley to earn the Celtic man a yellow card in last night's match and the trauma to the soft tissue is so bad that the full extent of th damage could not be revealed.

Murray Park medical team members will have him scanned again tomorrow.

It means Neil Alexander has got the gloves for the forthcoming matches and the McCulloch injury gives boss Walter Smith a problem for the first leg with Fiorentina in particular.

Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson are suspended and Charlie Adam is also out injured with a knee problem so it leaves him short in midfield.

Assistant boss Ally McCoist said: "It's a blow to lose both players. Allan has been outstanding for us but we have no problem bringing Neil in. He is an international keeper and that's why we brought him here.

"Lee's injury is also a concern because there is so much swelling and clearly it gives us a problem for the home leg with Fiorentina in particular."

Ferguson and Thomson, however, are expected to play against St Johnstone on Sunday.

Not great, Alexander isn't a bad keeper but with the form McGregor has been in it's a blow to lose him.

RANGERS has today announced it will give free official match tickets to supporters attending the away UEFA Cup semi-final tie against Fiorentina in Italy on Thursday 1 May plus a freeze on ticket prices for the home leg against the Serie A side at Ibrox Stadium on Thursday 24 April.

Archived