The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Of course, he'll be anxious to win the SPL, UEFA Cup, SC like the rest of the players and wants to be involved. Smith really should have the guts to tell him he isn't going to play though. I think Rangers are too scared to see how we'd play without Ferguson and that's why they'll refuse to drop him. Silly thing is, we play just as well when he isn't in the team.

I think this is the crux of the matter - Barry knows this kind of season might never come again, and he wants to be involved in it. Thats understandable, but at the end of the day if he isn't fir and it's affecting his performances - which quite clearly it is - then he really should be big enough to say, hey sorry gaffer but I'm just hindering the team at the moment. If he'd got his ankle seen to when there was first a problem, he might have been back in action by now. The whole thing is just silly, and who knows, playing on it might even end his career.

But the good news is that McCulloch might miss the Fiore game, so well played Paul Hartley icon14.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is the crux of the matter - Barry knows this kind of season might never come again, and he wants to be involved in it. Thats understandable, but at the end of the day if he isn't fir and it's affecting his performances - which quite clearly it is - then he really should be big enough to say, hey sorry gaffer but I'm just hindering the team at the moment. If he'd got his ankle seen to when there was first a problem, he might have been back in action by now. The whole thing is just silly, and who knows, playing on it might even end his career.

If Rangers end up with only the League Cup in the cabinet will it still be viewed as a great season?

• SI Staff
If Rangers end up with only the League Cup in the cabinet will it still be viewed as a great season?

At the start of the season if you said we would win the league cup, come close in the league, get to the UEFA Cup final and the Scottish Cup semi-final then a lot of people would have viewed that as good progress for a relatively inexperienced (or crap as some people say) team and a good platform to build on for next season.

Being in the position we're in now, if we don't win the league it will be a massive disappointment.

To be honest, if we don't win the quadruple (quadrangle icon_wink.gif ) then I'll be disappointed and Walter must go icon_wink.gif

If we don't walk off with the domestic treble this in reality this season will now be regarded as a disaster. UEFA Cup would be a bonus and if we won that but lost the other two it might make up for it - but even then, not really now.

We have to keep last night defeat in perspective- first domestic defeat since October, with out 2 most influential players out of the game by three quarters of the way through, against the team second in the league, away from home. Its not exactly a disaster and in truth, we didnt deserve to win that one and a draw would have been a great result.

The team needs to forget about last night and concentrate on winning all the rest of them- the squad should be big enough and competent enough to still deliver results and it is up to the management team to show their motivational skills now.

Originally posted by Ter:

As if things couldn't get any worse, we've signed Miller.

Will be joining us on July 1st.

Why would you do this icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

With what's been said about dropping Barry, it is maybe not so easy to drop the club captain in what could potentially be our most successful season even if he hasn't played a particularly outstanding game in 6 months.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

With what's been said about dropping Barry, it is maybe not so easy to drop the club captain in what could potentially be our most successful season even if he hasn't played a particularly outstanding game in 6 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the attitude of the management team, then we simply do not have the right management team in place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

With what's been said about dropping Barry, it is maybe not so easy to drop the club captain in what could potentially be our most successful season even if he hasn't played a particularly outstanding game in 6 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you under perform you should be dropped.

WORRIED Rangers fans have demanded a big-game summit with Celtic chief Peter Lawwell after stating missile-throwing Hoops thugs have made Parkhead unsafe for players and supporters.

SPL beaks are set to investigate the second-half incident during Wednesday's Old Firm derby which saw Ibrox doctor Paul Jackson hit by a coin while treating injured keeper Allan McGregor.

Match referee Kenny Clark has mentioned the flashpoint in his official report while away fans have also claimed hate-filled home supporters hurled objects at their area in the top tier of the East Stand and then attacked their buses outside the ground.

Rangers Supporters' Trust insist talks with Lawwell and police are a must in the build-up to next Sunday's powderkeg league clash between the Big Two in the east end of Glasgow because of fears over the safety of everyone from Ibrox officials to their followers in the stand.

Daily Express

Well said by the RST, too many of these incidents are happening at that place. I see there was also a mobile phone thrown on the park after Novo's goal

Pic1

Pic2

Sad that it takes a fans group to bring this into the spotlight when Murray should be the man demanding action against it.

Wonder if Liewell will grant them an audience, he may well, but after the Ricksen incident. I dont expect them to do anything about it.

who would throw a phone at a football player? icon_biggrin.gif I understand the idea of a coin or something like a bottle (don't condone this btw) as it's sort of throwaway stuff, but a phone? which you would have to replace?

just mad tbh, a bit like the RST thinking Liewell would meet them

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

Will they be identifying the clowns that threw the potatos aswell, or is it just one way indignation?

Well for one thing, that did not happen.

Lies made up by Celtic messageboards (and daft journalists such as Ronnie Cully - who later changed his story) to once again deflect away from the two disgraceful examples of coin and mobile throwing from Celtic supporters - these were caught on camera and can be proved.

Apparently there was some TIFO ticker tape thrown by our fans (that did not unwind as it should) but certainly not tatties... icon_biggrin.gif

Of course it doesn't matter who threw the items. If it were Rangers fans then they deserve as much criticism as anyone else but that still shows the stewarding/policing at the ground is extremely ineffective. Add in the continual problems at the far corners of the stadium, fans running onto the pitch, and buses being attacked in the locale, I think serious questions have to be asked.

I'm sure you agree.

For clarity, the RST would say exactly the same thing if this were Ibrox. After all, we've been critical of our own fans often enough with regard to the problems we faced in recent times. It's a pity Celtic fan organisations aren't so self-deprecating.

Surely a mobile phone can be traced to the owner?

It's very hard to steward against people throwing things onto the pitch tbh. People have coins and stuff and you can't really ban these. In these incidents, it's up to the fans round about to point out such numpties and not protect them on some false sense of allegiance because the day will come when either someone will get seriously injured - lose and eye or whatever and when you throw a coin in that situation you cannot be 100% sure whom it will hit - or clubs will end up in serious trouble with the authorities. Surely your club is far more important to you than some numpty who thinks it's funny to throw a coin?

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

It's very hard to steward against people throwing things onto the pitch tbh. People have coins and stuff and you can't really ban these. In these incidents, it's up to the fans round about to point out such numpties and not protect them on some false sense of allegiance because the day will come when either someone will get seriously injured - lose and eye or whatever and when you throw a coin in that situation you cannot be 100% sure whom it will hit - or clubs will end up in serious trouble with the authorities. Surely your club is far more important to you than some numpty who thinks it's funny to throw a coin?

You could only trace a contract phone, PAYG are virtually untraceable,

That is if you had the phone, I'm sure it's long gone by now

It is very hard to stop a few people throwing stuff. However, this has happened several times before - without arrest and without punishment.

Celtic Park is badly stewarded/policed. One can see that anytime an opposition player gets a corner on the far side, where fans often rush down to throw abuse (or anything else in recent times).

Now, Celtic are not the only club with such problems. Unfortunately, they just seem to have the worst record for it so while the club itself may not be responsible, they should be doing more to actively stop such incidents.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Well said by the RST, too many of these incidents are happening at that place. I see there was also a mobile phone thrown on the park after Novo's goal

Pic1

Pic2

Sad that it takes a fans group to bring this into the spotlight when Murray should be the man demanding action against it.

Wonder if Liewell will grant them an audience, he may well, but after the Ricksen incident. I dont expect them to do anything about it.

I'm more concerned by the obvious tumour on Novo's neck in the first photo.

Injury victims Lee McCulloch and Allan McGregor are also out but Kevin Thomson can come back in and Kirk Broadfoot is free from Scottish Cup suspension.

McCoist also hinted that there may be a dramatic return for Thomas Buffel to the squad

Ohhh the drama

Under 19's win the title again lads. Second year on the bounce. So much for lies that ra sellic have the top kids in the land.

Lets hope we start to see some of them progress into first team games in the next year or do, although with Smith in charge. It aint likely to happen.

I decided that McCulloch's injury is the silver lining to McGregor's cloud.

Nobody angers me more in the team than seeing big Lee stagger around the pitch playing his enforcer role. He makes me pine for Adam.

Buffel may make it back into the squad but I doubt he'd make it off the bench anytime soon.

u19s \o/

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Old Firm Youth cup final at Hampden next Wednesday night aswell, Celtic beat us on Monday night 2-1 in a good game which neither team deserved to lost.

Of course Celtic win thanks to being awarded a goal which was about 3 yards offside.

Give us the chance to give them another spanking. And pick up a double double. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

Lies made up by Celtic messageboards (and daft journalists such as Ronnie Cully - who later changed his story) to once again deflect away from the two disgraceful examples of coin and mobile throwing from Celtic supporters - these were caught on camera and can be proved.

17 mins 40 seconds potato thrown

17 mins 43 seconds assistant walks onto park to pick it up.

You're the liar.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

You're the liar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw something at that point it was when Robson was taking a throw in?.

Must have been a small potato though.

And I also know for an absolute fact that they were also thrown at the Main Stand.

Cue deflect and deny.

Usual pish I see HH. Care to comment on your lot?

As the Rangers fan, if proved, should be banned for it.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

And I also know for an absolute fact that they were also thrown at the Main Stand.

Cue deflect and deny.

As the Rangers fan, if proved, should be banned for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I dont care to comment.....again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Cue deflect and deny.

As the Rangers fan, if proved, should be banned for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I dont care to comment.....again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow icon_eek.gif , a reply from you, on something, that doesn't have another agenda

Well played icon14.gif

It's been done plenty of times, you obviously you've missed them (as you did this time)

Being in the Celtic thread, I spend some time in there, I don't see every reply, much like you (probably) wont see everyone in here.

Once again, well done on the non snyde and trouble making reply. icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Rumours going around that McGregor is out for the season. Huge blow if true. I am sure Alexander is capable of filling in.

I'm not. Alexander is a very ordinary keeper indeed. Would probably cost us quite a few goals and our chance of winning everything. (Be a good excuse anyway icon_wink.gif)

You're the liar.

Please show me the evidence then since you're the one making the claims. icon_biggrin.gif

It was a unwound roll of TIFO tape - picked up by the assistant. If it was a potato we would have heard about it by now and Rangers would also have been reported.

Keep trying.

I could post unsubstantiated stories of our players being spat on but since I don't have any 'facts' like you, I won't bother. Cue deflect and deny.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Rumours going around that McGregor is out for the season. Huge blow if true. I am sure Alexander is capable of filling in.

I'm not. Alexander is a very ordinary keeper indeed. Would probably cost us quite a few goals and our chance of winning everything. (Be a good excuse anyway icon_wink.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much have you seen of Alexander? From what I heard he did very well at Ipswich and was quite highly rated down there.

Don't know too much about him myself but we shouldn't be so quick to judge when he's only played a couple of games icon_smile.gif

I think Alexander was a decent signing actually.

Hasn't really ever played at the very top level but has good experience and is reasonably well regarded nonetheless.

Quite happy with him as back up.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I'm not. Alexander is a very ordinary keeper indeed. Would probably cost us quite a few goals and our chance of winning everything. (Be a good excuse anyway icon_wink.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much have you seen of Alexander? From what I heard he did very well at Ipswich and was quite highly rated down there.

Don't know too much about him myself but we shouldn't be so quick to judge when he's only played a couple of games icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've followed his career a little because he was quite decent on CM once, was it at Livi or something? I just don't think he's in the same class as McGregor and I don't really think he's good enough but he can always prove me wrong icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

You're the liar.

Please show me the evidence then since you're the one making the claims. icon_biggrin.gif

It was a unwound roll of TIFO tape - picked up by the assistant. If it was a potato we would have heard about it by now and Rangers would also have been reported.

Keep trying.

I could post unsubstantiated stories of our players being spat on but since I don't have any 'facts' like you, I won't bother. Cue deflect and deny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really don't know why you bother with him Frankie, he's just one of those who likes to stir up crap and is very very bitter. Best place is on the ignore list, then you don't have to read his diatribes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Don't know too much about him myself but we shouldn't be so quick to judge when he's only played a couple of games icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've followed his career a little because he was quite decent on CM once, was it at Livi or something? I just don't think he's in the same class as McGregor and I don't really think he's good enough but he can always prove me wrong icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he was one of the good players for Livi, when they were fb in FM, along with Andrews, Fernandez and such. Almost as good as the old Falkirk FM team that had Mark Kerr, Collin Samuel etc. \o/

How the hell can an ankle injury keep McGregor out for season? Big gay puusy! icon_biggrin.gif

Strained ankle ligaments are nasty.

Kept me out of sport for 3 months once at school. I think Sutton suffered them around the same time and I kept an eye on his recovery as a reference point to how a fit footballer would fare with a similar injury, and he was out for 6 weeks.

Archived