The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Further to what I said about Lovenkrands returning a few weeks ago seems the media have picked up on it icon_wink.gif

Lovenkrands keen on Rangers return

by Brian Etherson, 20 April 2008

Rangers could be about to make an audacious bid to bring back Peter Lovenkrands to Ibrox, just two years after he was allowed to leave for German side Schalke on a free transfer.

The Danish winger has never hidden his love for Scotland or Rangers and, since the 29-year-old has spent much of this season on the fringe of the Bundesliga side, a return might not be out of the question.

Lovenkrands, whom Dick Advocaat signed for Rangers in 2000, seems to be uncertain about his own future with Schalke as their coach, Mirko Soma, was sacked last week after an embarrassing 5-1 defeat to Werder Bremen.

“I have always said that I would love to come back to Rangers and play for them again if at some point if it was possible,†Lovenkrands said in the Scottish Mail on Sunday.

“I have one year left on my Schalke contract and I have been led to believe that they want me to stay with them, so at this moment, I am not sure what is going to happen.

“I enjoy Germany and playing for Schalke. It is a vital time for the club, with changes to the coaching staff and the end of the season coming up, so we’ll need to wait and see.

“There’s not much more I can say for now.â€

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for me.

Inconsistent, heartless, injury prone and generally not worth bringing back for any fee - not to mention the £15-20K p/week he'll be after.

I think this is more what PL wants as opposed to Rangers.

i get a feeling with Mcgeady that its more of a personal thing rather than his performances

just to state for the record, I don't like McGeady simply because he plays for Celtic and acts like a wee baw - not to do with the Ireland/Scotland thing. I don't think he deserves to win the trophies based on his performances as Carlos Cuellar has been consistent the whole season - not just since maybe about December which is when McGeady starting hitting some sort of form with a hat-trick against Falkirk I think and then we had the wee move in February which made Chick Young jack into his pants and declare he must win the award

I actually think McGeady has been good this year (that's from December) though, certainly improving and probably one of the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous weapon Celtic have

this is for the record btw, I've already stated my opinion on what my thoughts are about the POTY/YPOTY trophies earlier, just making sure we aren't all tarred with the "omg you hate McGeady cause he decided to play for Ireland over Scotland thing"

Cuellar should win simply because of how big a role he's played in turning a very gash Rangers side around into potentially their most sucessful season in history.

McGeady has turned it on at times in an already title winning Celtic side, they weren't bombing out to the St Johnstones of this world in the league cup when he suddenly game of age and started playing good. Plus while at times I think he's been great, he's not consistant with it.

Cuellar I can count on less than one hand the amount of bad games he's had this year, and remember its also his first year in the Scottish game.

was not a surprise to see Burke was done, broken ankle apparently - looked a nasty one when it happened

with McCulloch/Naisy/Burke out, our options on the left/right side are starting to run out, although Buffel might get his chance possibly and I just wonder if we might try and rush Beasley back before the end of the season, think he was in training or about to go into it

How good is Cuellar really?

I honestly haven't seen enough of Rangers this season to judge, so aside from hearing all your glowing reports on him I know nothing icon_frown.gif

Is he just a talented defender? An average player galvanised at a club that appreciates him, or a player with attributes that make him look better than that in the SPL?

Is he good enough to warrant a large transfer fee and move to bigger things?

Carlos is the best defender Rangers have had since Gough imo... The again I loved Big Amo so wha do I know icon_biggrin.gif

I know i am biased but he is easily the best defender in Scotland. You're not really going to get an opinion on him here that might not come across biased but for me he is solid, His reading of the game is superb, His timing isn;t often off in tackling and he isn't weak in the air. Everything you could want from a central defender.

I'd say Carlos has probably been our best player in the UEFA Cup/CL campaign this year and that's pretty much the biggest test for a player (CL I mean, UEFA Cup is a wee bit behind) icon_wink.gif

he does the simple things as a defender which is pretty much what you want, doesn't try anything risky and just generally does his job - whether it's heading the ball away, tackling or even passing the ball to a team-mate

would be very sad to see him go in the summer if he does, especially if it was for a paltry price made up by the sun tan man icon_mad.gif don't actually want him to go at all though, but I think he will get called on by other European clubs who must have seen his performances against teams like Werder etc

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I don't know the average booking count a defender picks up in a season but Cuellar has only picked up 6 yellows and 1 red in over 50 games, Can't be too bad?

im not sure about that tbh but in the paper today it said that he, along with Weir, is 1 booking away from suspension

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

ffs, look McGeady was far and away the best player in Scotland til mid February. Since then he's performing decent, despite being marked by two/three players at times, to say he's not had a good season is clearly false. POTY season? Perhaps not, but Cuellar's not had any sort of wonder season either. Has is been a good season for Cuellar? Without a doubt. But considering, even with our pish defence, we've played 3 games more than you in the league and still conceded less than the team a player at the heart of it putting forward a claim for player of the year.

It's hardly the massive injustice you're claiming. And really, if you want to know all about these awards, you just need to look back a few seasons when Amoruso and Viduka won it for no apparant reason and even Sutton winning it in Henrik's last season.

So eh, don't get so worked up?

Alan Hutton says hi.

Originally posted by BWCH:

How good is Cuellar really?

I honestly haven't seen enough of Rangers this season to judge, so aside from hearing all your glowing reports on him I know nothing icon_frown.gif

Is he just a talented defender? An average player galvanised at a club that appreciates him, or a player with attributes that make him look better than that in the SPL?

Is he good enough to warrant a large transfer fee and move to bigger things?

A fantastic defender who concentrates on defending first and foremost, but who can play a bit of football when the situation calls for it. Unlike Amo though, he's not shy of hoofing it into the stand when he needs to.

Strong in the tackle, reads the game well, good in the air - can't ask for anything more. At £2.4m, Walter should be expecting a chap at his door from Strathclyde Police for robbery.

Unlike Amo though, he's not shy of hoofing it into the stand when he needs to.

probably the one thing I hated about Amo, when he used to mess about with the ball at the back and lose it icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unlike Amo though, he's not shy of hoofing it into the stand when he needs to.

probably the one thing I hated about Amo, when he used to mess about with the ball at the back and lose it icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monaco at Ibrox springs to mind

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unlike Amo though, he's not shy of hoofing it into the stand when he needs to.

probably the one thing I hated about Amo, when he used to mess about with the ball at the back and lose it icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but Amo was suave and sophisticated and fancied himself a hell of a lot - also thought he could play football. Cuellar mainly keeps it simple and realises most of the time he's a defender and shouldn't be trying to run the length of the park with the ball.

I said at the time of the nominations that McGeady winning would be kind of fitting as it's an individual prize and our great strength this year has been the unity and commitment shown from the whole team. It's fair to say that one of Celtic's biggest problems has been lack that of spirit in periods and their over-reliance on one or two very good players, which McGeady undoubtedly is.

Cuellar has been by-and-large excellent, but so have McGregor, Weir, Papac and Hutton at the back so we look set to reap the rewards that collective consistency brings us, and let's not wallow in losing out to tokenism thrown towards one standout player.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Billy Reid has also done very well with Hamilton but again, I'm not sure sure he should win the award ahead of Walter.

Tempted to suggest reasons other than football, but I believe that phrase has been copyrighted elsewhere.

Seriously though, it seems a rather crazy decision. I'm sure WS would have given it little more than a wry smile.

• SI Staff

He might be forced to go with something more attacking that he would like or has done in the past. Hopefully Broadfoot won't play and Whittaker will be at right back.

GK: Alexander

DR: Whittaker

DL: Papac

DC: Weir

DC: Cuellar

MC: Hemdani

MC: Dailly

MC: Davis

AMR: Darcheville

AML: Novo

FC: Cousin

I'd go with that. I think Novo especially will work his arse off and help out defensively.

I think this is where the run ends. Fiore are just too good a side to hold them to 0-0, would have been tough enough with a full squad, but with Lee McCulloch missing we really have no chance.

Dunno what to think really, perhaps we should just forget the UEFA and concentrate on tying up the league.

We're involved in the game so why shouldn't we give it our best shot?

Sure the squad is lacking a lot of the players we need to have a chance of getting a result but hey, perhaps that'll spur on the players we do have and surprise us all.

I don't want us to just write this game off without kicking a ball.

• SI Staff
I think this is where the run ends. Fiore are just too good a side to hold them to 0-0, would have been tough enough with a full squad, but with Lee McCulloch missing we really have no chance.

Who thought the same about Werder Bremen and we pumped them 2-0 at home icon_wink.gif

Here are Fiorentina's results in the UEFA Cup this season...

FC Groningen 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 1-1 FC Groningen

Villarreal 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 6-1 Elfsborg

AEK Athens 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 2-1 Mlada Boleslav

Rosenborg 0-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 2-1 Rosenborg

Fiorentina 2-0 Everton

Everton 2-0 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 1-1 PSV

PSV 0-2 Fiorentina

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Why would Diamond be "enraged"?

Brines just put his boyhood heroes top of the league ffs.

Well yeah. But even though I have no time for the sheep, one thing Diamond said that I do agree with was about how refs go back to their normal job on a monday morning and players are left to deal with the consequences of their mistakes. However, we need refs, people will make mistakes, whats the solution?

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think this is where the run ends. Fiore are just too good a side to hold them to 0-0, would have been tough enough with a full squad, but with Lee McCulloch missing we really have no chance.

Who thought the same about Werder Bremen and we pumped them 2-0 at home icon_wink.gif

Here are Fiorentina's results in the UEFA Cup this season...

FC Groningen 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 1-1 FC Groningen

Villarreal 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 6-1 Elfsborg

AEK Athens 1-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 2-1 Mlada Boleslav

Rosenborg 0-1 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 2-1 Rosenborg

Fiorentina 2-0 Everton

Everton 2-0 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 1-1 PSV

PSV 0-2 Fiorentina </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do realise the McCulloch bit was pure sarcasm of course.

I mean certainly Fiore look to be a side that have been a bit up and down in Europe, who knows mibbe they're forget to turn up icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Why would Diamond be "enraged"?

Brines just put his boyhood heroes top of the league ffs.

Well yeah. But even though I have no time for the sheep, one thing Diamond said that I do agree with was about how refs go back to their normal job on a monday morning and players are left to deal with the consequences of their mistakes. However, we need refs, people will make mistakes, whats the solution? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I mean I completely agree with the guy too. You can't even question the decisions without being punished which is completely unfair.

Solution? Robots. icon14.gif

Still a ridiculous to play so many games in a week. Still, if we get the f'ing finger out and start playing again those last two games will be meaningless anyway.

Queen of the South apparantly have no games for a few weeks before the Cup final, perhaps they could play the St Midden game for us as a warm up.

• SI Staff

Jings! Probably the right thing to do to have an alternative schedule depending on what happens with the UEFA Cup. Trying to get my head round it now.

If we reach the UEFA Cup Final

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina (H) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina (A) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Bayern/Zenit - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

TUE 20 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 22 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

If we don't reach the UEFA Cup Final

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina (H) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina (A) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

TUE 13 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 15 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

SUN 18 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Queen of the South apparantly have no games for a few weeks before the Cup final, perhaps they could play the St Midden game for us as a warm up.

Unlike you we are trying to organise games to play to keep us sharp. Scouting for friendlies last I heard icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
Unlike you we are trying to organise games to play to keep us sharp. Scouting for friendlies last I heard

Have yous not already played our reserves at one point earlier this season?

Originally posted by Doonhamer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Unlike you we are trying to organise games to play to keep us sharp. Scouting for friendlies last I heard icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mibbe you should be asking for the Cup Final to be brought forward icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unlike you we are trying to organise games to play to keep us sharp. Scouting for friendlies last I heard

Have yous not already played our reserves at one point earlier this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, thought I could remember it...

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/ActionShots/0,,5~1105889,00.html

Archived