The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually their fault anyway all this nonsense. The SPL cannot have us playing any outstanding games after the last official week of the season, in case it affects the outcome of the title and then timmy cries foul and we all know what happened the last couple of times, eh.

• SI Staff

Playing so many games that close together is never going to be ideal but Walter did say that whenever the games are scheduled then we'll play them. I think we've got a big enough squad to cope with the demands, even though we've got a few injuries and suspensions at the moment.

There aren't really an awful lot of options left open to the SPL now without them making us play a few games in a week. It shouldn't really have been allowed to get this far. We could have probably squeezed one in during the international break if either St Mirren or Motherwell had agreed to it but it's all just got a bit too late now. Beyond extending the season past the Scottish Cup Final there isn't much that can be done.

Hopefully we can keep winning and the fuss will die down and we would be able to give one or two players a little rest before the Scottish Cup Final.

Personally I do think it's ridiculous to expect a club to play so many matches together in a title run in. My main annoyance though is with the Celtic rep who is trying to claim 'integrity' of the league - bollox it is. And just think of the outrage that would ensue if the situation was reversed.

Heaven help us if we ever have a really bad winter, and both OF teams progress to the latter stages in Europe.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Some unexpected but welcome common sense from the SPL, good stuff.

Have you seen the proposed fixtures?

Common sense has long left the building </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's not ideal, but it was never going to be. I had visions of us being forced to play the Monday before the UEFA cup final.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Honestly, what is it these buffoons are actually expecting here? Integrity my arse, it's all about vested interest and hoping Rangers slip up because of the crush of fixtures.

If they were been sitting 20 points ahead in the league, we wouldn't have heard a dickie bird. Don't know why they're lying about some notion of integrity.

• SI Staff

The clubs don't need to be consulted though, and there was no way they would have been able to agree on things anyway. The SPL set the fixtures and the clubs have to play them.

I think they should just solve it by deducting both Rangers and Celtic 50 points for breaking SPL rules icon_wink.gif

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>A3.2 No Club, either by itself or its Club Officials, shall by any means whatsoever unfairly criticise, disparage, belittle or discredit any other Club, the Company or the League or in either case any such other Cub or the Company’s directors, officers, employees or agents (which shall, for the avoidance of doubt, exclude supporters).

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

So do I. Upsetting when player some across the border and get embarrassed.

Only person getting embarrassed here is you. Try getting your facts right before coming in here spouting your ignorant, xenophobic garbage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Only person getting embarrassed here is you. Try getting your facts right before coming in here spouting your ignorant, xenophobic garbage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're getting easily offended today. Something wrong?

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Only person getting embarrassed here is you. Try getting your facts right before coming in here spouting your ignorant, xenophobic garbage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're getting easily offended today. Something wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time of the month icon_wink.gif But thanks for caring icon_smile.gif

No it just annoys me when people I've never heard of suddenly appear in Scottish threads spouting garbage.

The old Scottish league is pish argument.

Yet all the huge clubs outside the top 4 in England seem to do so well in europe. While one of us little clubs have been to the last 16 in the champ league in each of the last 3 seasons and now the semi final of the uefa.

Embarassing indeed!

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Carlos Cuellar : "I know English teams are interested but listen to me very carefully, I love it here and I will be staying for YEARS"

I hope so big man, I hope so icon_cool.gif

When did he say that? icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff

And just to highlight how cramped our fixtures have been most of the season, here is the list with free dates in bold (assuming that we play one game at the weekend and one midweek)

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>TUE 31 JUL: 2-0 v Zeta (H) - Champions League 2nd Qual Round Leg 1

SAT 04 AUG: 3-0 v Inverness CT (A) - SPL

TUE 07 AUG: 1-0 v Zeta (A) - Champions League 2nd Qual Round Leg 2

SAT 11 AUG: 2-0 v St Mirren (H) - SPL

TUE 14 AUG: 1-0 v Red Star (H) - Champions League 3rd Qual Round Leg 1

SAT 18 AUG: 7-2 v Falkirk (H) – SPL

WED 22 AUG: Potential Free Midweek

SAT 25 AUG: 2-1 v Kilmarnock (A) - SPL

TUE 28 AUG: 0-0 v Red Star (A) - Champions League 3rd Qual Round Leg 2

SAT 01 SEP: 4-0 v Gretna (H) – SPL

WED 05 SEP: Potential Free Midweek

SAT 08 SEP: Internationals (Scotland v Lithuania)

WED 12 SEP: Internationals (France v Scotland)

SAT 15 SEP: 2-4 v Hearts (A) - SPL

WED 19 SEP: 2-1 v Stuttgart (H) - Champions League Group Stage

SUN 23 SEP: 3-0 v Aberdeen (H) - SPL

WED 26 SEP: 4-0 v East Fife (A) - League Cup

SAT 29 SEP: 1-1 v Motherwell (A) - SPL

TUE 02 OCT: 3-0 v Lyon (A) - Champions League Group Stage

SAT 06 OCT: 0-1 v Hibernian (H) – SPL

WED 10 OCT: Potential Free Midweek

SAT 13 OCT: Internationals (Scotland v Ukraine)

WED 17 OCT: Internationals (Georgia v Scotland)

SAT 20 OCT: 3-0 v Celtic (H) - SPL

TUE 23 OCT: 0-0 v Barcelona (H) - Champions League Group Stage

SUN 28 OCT: 1-2 v Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

WED 31 OCT: 2-1 v Motherwell (A) - League Cup Quarter Final

SAT 03 NOV: 2-0 v Inverness CT (H) - SPL

WED 07 NOV: 0-2 v Barcelona (A) - Champions League Group Stage

SAT 11 NOV: P-P v St Mirren (A) – SPL

WED 14 NOV: Potential Free Midweek

SAT 17 NOV: Internationals (Scotland v Italy)

WED 21 NOV: Internationals (No Scotland Match)

SAT 24 NOV: 3-1 v Falkirk (A) - SPL

TUE 27 NOV: 2-3 v Stuttgart (A) - Champions League Group Stage

SAT 01 DEC: 2-0 v Kilmarnock (H) – SPL

WED 05 DEC: Potential Free Midweek

SAT 09 DEC: P-P v Gretna (A) - SPL

WED 12 DEC: 0-3 v Lyon (H) - Champions League Group Stage

SAT 15 DEC: 2-1 v Hearts (H) – SPL

WED 19 DEC: Potential Free Midweek

SUN 23 DEC: 1-1 v Aberdeen (A) - SPL

WED 26 DEC: 3-1 v Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 29 DEC: 2-1 v Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 02 JAN: P-P v Celtic (A) - SPL

SAT 05 JAN: 2-0 v Dundee Utd (H) - SPL

TUE 08 JAN: P-P v St Mirren (A) – SPL

SAT 12 JAN: P-P v East Stirlingshire (H) – Scottish Cup

WED 16 JAN: 2-1 v Gretna (A) - SPL

SUN 20 JAN: 1-0 v Inverness CT (A) - SPL

WED 23 JAN: 6-0 v East Stirlingshire (H) - Scottish Cup

SAT 26 JAN: 4-0 v St Mirren (H) - SPL

WED 30 JAN: 2-0 v Hearts (N) - League Cup Semi Final

SUN 03 FEB: 0-0 v Hibernian (A) - Scottish Cup Fifth Round

WED 06 FEB: Internationals

SAT 09 FEB: 2-0 v Falkirk (H) - SPL

WED 13 FEB: 0-0 v Panathinaikos (H) - UEFA Cup Leg 1

SUN 17 FEB: 2-0 v Kilmarnock (A) - SPL

THU 21 FEB: 1-1 v Panathinaikos (A) - UEFA Cup Leg 2

SUN 24 FEB: 4-2 v Gretna (H) - SPL

WED 27 FEB: 4-0 v Hearts (A) - SPL

SAT 01 MAR: 3-1 v Aberdeen (H) - SPL

THU 06 MAR: 2-0 v Werder Bremen (H) - UEFA Cup Leg 1

SUN 09 MAR: 1-0 v Hibernian (H) - Scottish Cup Fifth Round Replay

THU 13 MAR: 0-1 v Werder Bremen (A) - UEFA Cup Leg 2

SAT 15 MAR: P-P v Motherwell (A) - SPL

SUN 16 MAR: 2-2 v Dundee Utd (N) - League Cup Final (Won 4-2 on pens)

WED 19 MAR: 1-1 v Partick Thistle (H) - Scottish Cup Quarter Final

SAT 22 MAR: 2-1 v Hibernian (H) – SPL

WED 26 MAR: Internationals (Scotland v Croatia)

SAT 29 MAR: 1-0 v Celtic (H) - SPL

THU 03 APR: 0-0 v Sporting Lisbon (H) - UEFA Cup Quarter Final Leg 1

SUN 06 APR: 3-3 v Dundee Utd (A) - SPL

THU 10 APR: 2-0 v Sporting Lisbon (A) - UEFA Cup Quarter Final Leg 2

SUN 13 APR: 2-0 v Partick Thistle (A) - Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

WED 16 APR: 1-2 v Celtic (A) - SPL

SUN 20 APR: 1-1 v St Johnstone (N) – Scottish Cup Semi Final (Won 4-3 on pens)

THU 24 APR: Fiorentina (H) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 1

SUN 27 APR: Celtic (A) – SPL

THU 01 MAY: Fiorentina (A) - UEFA Cup Semi Final Leg 2

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

If we reach the UEFA Cup Final

WED 14 MAY: Bayern/Zenit - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

TUE 20 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 22 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

If we don't reach the UEFA Cup Final

TUE 13 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 15 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

SUN 18 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

Its been a wild second half of the season thats for sure. Any other season, even if we were to progress in 4 competition, this wouldn't happen.

I've said it a few times, but there is a few lesson that hopefully the SPL/SFA have learned from and use better judgement if things similar to this season pop up.

• SI Staff

I wouldn't really say screwed (watch us get pumped 4-0 now icon_wink.gif ) but we could have done with the extra quality of Thomson in midfield and the experience of Ferguson.

The team will most likely be something like that, Walter isn't going to change his system.

The only possible bonus of missing McCulloch, Ferguson and Thompson is that it looks like forcing Smith's hand to field a slightly more offensive line-up and *hopefully* pose them a few more problems than we did Sporting at Ibrox. We'll obviously still sit in, still see them knock the ball about, still snap at their heels, still ride our luck, but Novo's pace would help out any breaks and if Cousin decides he's interested, he can score from anywhere.

I'm not confident, but haven't been in this competition since, eh, Panathanaikos, so who knows. Going into these two games and the next Celtic game the underdogs, which we will do, might be a help. Not the first time this season we've been written off and the boys have done the business.

Agreed.

I doubt any of us expect to win the next two matches.

However at least tomorrow we'll have our regular defence (out with AM) which should help to keep things tight. As already mentioned, losing Ferguson, McCulloch, Thomson et al means there's a chance Buffel may replace Ferguson with Davis back onto the right and Novo on the left. That's quite a nice balance actually.

As such, while a win may be difficult to achieve, we can still get another draw to keep us in the tie for next week.

The Celtic game is a bit different unfortunately. Cuellar has been immense for us and we'll really miss his presence at the back. Dailly and Weir should be able to do the business but their lack of pace will mean we're likely to sit too deep again. This is where the loss of Thomson is problematic - quite simply Hemdani and Ferguson don't have the same tenacity so I think we'll struggle in midfield again.

However, as said, the fact we're not expected to win any of these games means the pressure is off to a degree so hopefully the players will relax and play a bit better than they have of late.

My main worry is that Novo is the only player that would run at the opposition, the rest of the lads like to pass the ball about and play conservatively and if he's marked well we'll have to resort to lumping high balls up to Cousin and hoping he can be bothered to do something with it.

Originally posted by Frankie:

The Celtic game is a bit different unfortunately. Cuellar has been immense for us and we'll really miss his presence at the back. Dailly and Weir should be able to do the business but their lack of pace will mean we're likely to sit too deep again. This is where the loss of Thomson is problematic - quite simply Hemdani and Ferguson don't have the same tenacity so I think we'll struggle in midfield again.

Our best chance is absorbing their pressure in the first half, hoping they don't score a wonder goal like last time, and looking to nick a goal as they begin to get desperate near the end, but it is going to be so, so tough. The missing personnell might just edge this one out of our reach. Dailly and Weir is worrying but unavoidable, but Broadfoot has to go for me - their biggest threat was from the flanks and the big guy was exposed badly in that first half. Whittaker and Novo were more solid.

I think we're going to have to rely on Celtic being below par as much as on our own ability to take something from the game. The early Sunday KO should at least help us a little as their support will be more muted and less intimidating than they were a week ago.

They outplayed us for long patches last Wednesday, they were as fired up as I've seen them for a good while, but they had a point to prove and proved it (albeit narrowly). From what I saw of the Aberdeen game, the vigour they possessed against us had waned again, and we'll have to hope for that again.

Also, let's hope Strachan stays true to form and tinkers with his midfield to bring back Brown, as they look a less balanced and threatening side with him in there. I'd say he's also more likely to lose the head should things start to go our way than guys like Hartley and Robson.

I said I thought we would lose on of the games at Celtic Park and not lose the other. I think going into this game trailing - albeit we do have three games in hand - changes the psychology of it and the players know they need to be at their best and get a result, fairly confident we can do that. Fiore are a far superior side to Celtic though, and have strikers that can really punish us.

Still, would rather be in this position that what we have been for the last couple of years icon_wink.gif

Still, would rather be in this position that what we have been for the last couple of years icon_wink.gif

Definitely, and it'll feel like the end of the world to us all on Sunday night if they beat us, but I really don't see either side winning every one of their remaining games, so nothing will be decided.

Ally McCoist is always going on about the spirit in the dressing room, which was a big part of our success in the 90's (plus the money of course!) but when you've got a bunch of lads who'll work for each other it can help make up for the players who are missing.

I think that's what's driven us through some of the games in Europe tbh.

Forgot to add to that, that Celtic don't appear to be as galvanised in the dressing room as Rangers, which could help us. The longer the game goes on the more Celtic will see the title slip away and you'll get team-mates having a go at each other ('mon Naylor and Boruc!)

Whittaker and Novo must play on the right side, I like Broadfoot as he seems to try harder than most - but he was having a nightmare against McGeady last time out

and Cousin MUST be the starting striker, JCD can come on and use his pace if needed, but if we are going to resort to the long ball sort of stuff, we will need Cousin to hold up the ball for midfielders to get up with him

• SI Staff

Youth Cup Final against Celtic. We were 1-0 down and Fleck ran 50 yards and rocketed one into the net in the last minute to make it 1-1.

Extra-Time just started. 6,500 at the game! icon_biggrin.gif

The biggest disgrace with regards to the fixture situation is that the SPL left it this long before doing anything.

It was flagged on here at the end of January/beginning of February, after our draw at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup. The SPL's plan up until now seems to have been to collectively close their eyes and hope we got knocked out of Europe.

Celtic can gtf as well, it is of no concern of theirs when we play our fixtures. In the interests of "sporting integrity", they should be forced to finish the season in a week.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Extra-Time just started. 6,500 at the game! icon_biggrin.gif

Apparently there was 11.000 there last year. Although no mid-week game last year icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was there last year, couldn't make it this year due to working.

Last year's attendance might have had something to do with us not winning a trophy - it was my first visit to Hampden for 26 months!

• SI Staff
It was flagged on here at the end of January/beginning of February, after our draw at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup

Yeah, I've been banging on about it for months. Although I thought it would sort itself out when we went out of the UEFA Cup icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, other teams have benefited from league extensions before... One team more than any other as well apparently. And they don't play in blue. Cough.

Can we file this conspiracy theory alongside Mike McCurry, Ian Brines and thrown potatoes in the 'Oops' drawer...?

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Celtic can gtf as well, it is of no concern of theirs when we play our fixtures. In the interests of "sporting integrity", they should be forced to finish the season in a week.

To my biased eyes, the integrity of the competition is surely as much at threat from one team being forced to play a plethora of games in an unreasonable timescale just to satiate stubborn inflexibility than it is from the scheduling having a bit of leeway. We weren't looking for huge favours, just a decent compromise to solve an extraordinary set of circumstances - most of which had nothing to do with us.

Lawell and co obviously piped up to apply pressure to the decision-making process (yes, like we did), and probably to afford them a "moral victory" if and when we win the league, but the lies about integrity have left a sour taste.

Archived