The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Celtic can gtf as well, it is of no concern of theirs when we play our fixtures. In the interests of "sporting integrity", they should be forced to finish the season in a week.

To my biased eyes, the integrity of the competition is surely as much at threat from one team being forced to play a plethora of games in an unreasonable timescale just to satiate stubborn inflexibility than it is from the scheduling having a bit of leeway. We weren't looking for huge favours, just a decent compromise to solve an extraordinary set of circumstances - most of which had nothing to do with us.

Lawell and co obviously piped up to apply pressure to the decision-making process (yes, like we did), and probably to afford them a "moral victory" if and when we win the league, but the lies about integrity have left a sour taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.

Basically the SPL are guilty of not supporting their teams by having a fixture contingency in place. I'd have thought having the split would have been an ideal chance to write into the rules that at that point in the season if any team(s) were still in Europe and or any congestion was happening because of other reasons (weather/international matches), then the league could be extended by 2 weeks.

This should have been done when the split was organised (or even when Celtic had their fine run in 2003). Hopefully it will be written into the constitution in the summer so the 'integrity' of the SPL can't be challenged again.

icon_smile.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Doonhamer:

Rumour? Game being called off?

Various Celtic forums have posters suggesting Tommy Burns has passed away (last night or this morning the story goes).

This has grown arms and legs and is now all across the online community. Like I say, I'm taking them with a rather large pinch of salt at this stage.

Originally posted by Ter:

Yeah, can we please not post any of the rumours on here. Hopefully they are all rubbish.

Apologies but I don't think we're doing anything wrong considering we all desperately hope the information is false....

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Celtic can gtf as well, it is of no concern of theirs when we play our fixtures. In the interests of "sporting integrity", they should be forced to finish the season in a week.

To my biased eyes, the integrity of the competition is surely as much at threat from one team being forced to play a plethora of games in an unreasonable timescale just to satiate stubborn inflexibility than it is from the scheduling having a bit of leeway. We weren't looking for huge favours, just a decent compromise to solve an extraordinary set of circumstances - most of which had nothing to do with us.

Lawell and co obviously piped up to apply pressure to the decision-making process (yes, like we did), and probably to afford them a "moral victory" if and when we win the league, but the lies about integrity have left a sour taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.

Basically the SPL are guilty of not supporting their teams by having a fixture contingency in place. I'd have thought having the split would have been an ideal chance to write into the rules that at that point in the season if any team(s) were still in Europe and or any congestion was happening because of other reasons (weather/international matches), then the league could be extended by 2 weeks.

This should have been done when the split was organised (or even when Celtic had their fine run in 2003). Hopefully it will be written into the constitution in the summer so the 'integrity' of the SPL can't be challenged again.

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the SPL learn anything from this years fiasco it should be to have contingency plans in place. We haven't had a really bad winter in this country for quite some time, heaven help us when we do.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Yeah, can we please not post any of the rumours on here. Hopefully they are all rubbish.

Apologies but I don't think we're doing anything wrong considering we all desperately hope the information is false.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, fair enough. I just think posting rumours about someone passing away are a bit off. Especially the way Gary posted with the big grin.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Just to clear that up....

That was only because I thought it was some random making **** up and it came to me how ironic it would be if that game got called off for any reason, not the rumour going around. Sorry.

Yeah I know icon14.gif

But it could be turned round to look bad

Originally posted by fan on celtics forum:

"yeh i heard the ssame dad gt a phone call sayin everyone at parkhead were crying and then was talkin 2 a woman up the road and she phoned a guy tht played in the celtic youth team and he confirmed it - was praying for it 2 be a rumour"

This should have been done when the split was organised (or even when Celtic had their fine run in 2003).

Why? Celtic weren't suffering from a fixture backlog at the time.

Can we put the "this season is the same as Seville" myth to bed please? They are 2 entirely different sets of circumstances.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

This should have been done when the split was organised (or even when Celtic had their fine run in 2003).

Can we put the "this season is the same as Seville" myth to bed please? They are 2 entirely different sets of circumstances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celtic played 60 matches in that season.

We'll be playing 67 (68 if we get to the UEFA Cup Final) with a fair few of those matches having to be fit into the second half of the season because of postponements and cup replays.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Can we put the "this season is the same as Seville" myth to bed please? They are 2 entirely different sets of circumstances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celtic played 60 matches in that season.

We'll be playing 67 (68 if we get to the UEFA Cup Final) with a fair few of those matches having to be fit into the second half of the season because of postponements and cup replays. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celtic did not go into the split 3 games behind everyone else, with no room to reasonably fit in their fixtures - they were even afforded the luxury of a week to prepare for the UEFA Cup final. We had to play the corresponding fixture against Hearts, needing to not just win, but win by 2 goals.

I didn't hear any grumbles about the integrity of the league being compromised then. It is no different now.

I'd love to fuck those bastards over on Sunday, kill them off and win the league by the 10th. Then we might get the preparation time we deserve for a possible European final.

I'm perfectly aware the situations are different but, like I say, the contingency pans should have been put in place then as the powers that be should have appreciated that any decent Euro run coupled with unusual circumstances would have meant chaos.

Easy to say now but that's what these people are employed (and paid a lot of money) to do...

A double double for the kids icon_cool.gif Don't see so many wombats harping about Murray Park being a white elephant these days eh guys?

As for the grown ups, I reckon the team is shot and if we do manage to win the league it will be by falling over the line rather than romping home. That said all it needs is one superhuman effort on Sunday and a huge amount of pressure lifts.

Tonight, god I'd take 0-0 right now, bite your arm off for it as I fear the worst.

• SI Staff

Yeah, Murray Park is pish isn't it. Good to see 7 young bears in the 18-man Scotland U17 squad icon14.gif

The future is looking bright for both Rangers and Scotland if these guys continue developing.

I agree with Ginger and Frankie tbh. The SPL should have contingency plans in place for scenarios where one, two, three teams reach the latter stages of Europe, where bad weather forces games to be put off or if Godzilla invades. I mean, what else to these useless gits do anyway and it can't be that hard to plan for the unexpected it general business sense. But of course typical of football that they sit on their hands until after something has happened then balls it up.

Anyway, the good news - it's great to see the U-19's with another trophy. Of course the real proof of any youth system is to see those kids progress to the first team so lets hope that happens soon.

• SI Staff
I'd be up for him playing some role on Sunday, even tonight if he hadn't played yesterday.

The only way he'll get a game on Sunday is if he's on the bench, we're getting beat and there are no other attacking options to bring on. Buffel, Cousin/Darcheville and Boyd would all come off the bench before Fleck.

Good luck guys! Dunno 'bout you, but pre-match tension's killing me. Kind of odd, that, since after the trauma that was Barcelona 1999 I (intentional or no) kind of cooled down quite a bit ever since.

WHY THE BLOODY HECK CAN'T THE GAME KICK OFF LIKE RIGHT NOW, ARRRGGH!!!!!1

remember Valencia being called the "Aberdeen of Scotland" as well icon_cool.gif then went on to two successive Champions League Final appearances and I think won their domestic league as well icon_biggrin.gif

that was a night when we were ripped apart though, similar to the night when Juventus ripped us to pieces in 1995 in Italy - bad memories icon_frown.gif although that Juve team were awesome, beat us 4-0 at Ibrox as well at least we got a goal in Italy icon_biggrin.gif

Archived