The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Svenc:

Good luck guys! Dunno 'bout you, but pre-match tension's killing me. Kind of odd, that, since after the trauma that was Barcelona 1999 I (intentional or no) kind of cooled down quite a bit ever since.

WHY THE BLOODY HECK CAN'T THE GAME KICK OFF LIKE RIGHT NOW, ARRRGGH!!!!!1

I've been feeling like that all week icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by TM:

remember Valencia being called the "Aberdeen of Scotland" as well icon_cool.gif then went on to two successive Champions League Final appearances and I think won their domestic league as well icon_biggrin.gif

that was a night when we were ripped apart though, similar to the night when Juventus ripped us to pieces in 1995 in Italy - bad memories icon_frown.gif although that Juve team were awesome, beat us 4-0 at Ibrox as well at least we got a goal in Italy icon_biggrin.gif

The Juve team that destroyed us were amazing, never forget Del Piero ripping the utter pish out of Alec Cleland. It was hard to take in a way, but the Juve play was just out of this world.

When we played Valencia, they were near the bottom of La Liga after a poor start and the ignorant press here just assumed they were rubbish - which of course they were not.

Originally posted by TM:

haha, that's what I meant icon_biggrin.gif

guess with you being Aimar on FF, that's where the love of Valencia came from? icon_wink.gif

Pretty much, Had a soft spot for them since. Canizares, Mendieta, Claudio Lopez, Gerard, Carboni, Kily Gonzalez, Albelda. and a certain Jocky Bjorklund... Such an awesome team. Probably the best football I had seen at Ibrox since the Juve game.

probably more relaxed cause I think this is where the adventure ends, sadly icon_frown.gif

would be tough enough beating a team like Fiorentina with our first 11, but with players out, it's probably impossible

just hope that Frey can somehow have a dodgy night, although I've read he's been outstanding this year icon_frown.gif

Team:

Alexander, Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar, Papac, Novo, Whittaker, Hemdani, Dailly, Davis, Darcheville. Subs: Graeme Smith, Buffel, Boyd, Gow, Webster, Cousin, Faye.

Faye ffs, we must be scrapping the barrel. Think he should have started Cousin and brought JCD on later but fairly predictable team otherwise.

Mutu fortunate not to get booked there, deliberately trying to score with his hand icon14.gif

getting really annoyed with the standing off to allow teams to cross, mentioned it after the Celtic game and it's still continuing

Originally posted by TM:

Mutu fortunate not to get booked there, deliberately trying to score with his hand icon14.gif

getting really annoyed with the standing off to allow teams to cross, mentioned it after the Celtic game and it's still continuing

Thats what happens when you have two naturally central minded players out wide, they start to drift in and leave the wings that little bit open.

Broadfoot might have his critics, but at least he seems to be able to cross a ball - unlike certain others in the Rangers team icon14.gif

anyway, pretty much a similar Rangers in Europe game, look a bit more attacking than usual but that's probably cause Novo is on the left instead of the carthorse. Standing off is allowing good crosses though and we have to start closing down a bit more, I know Broadfoot/Papac are not natural LB/RBs, but surely they know

Not overly unhappy with that for a first half, certainly not as annoyed as I was against Sporting.

Too many schoolboy mistakes at times though, and seriously we need to get Broadfoot off now. It's hard to see how to replace him, but I'd be tempted to push Whittaker to right back and bring on Buffel.

Dailly needs to be careful, too many niggly fouls and this referee has one of the highest card rates in the game.

We do need to pose a greater threat though, but where's it coming from?

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Too many schoolboy mistakes at times though, and seriously we need to get Broadfoot off now. It's hard to see how to replace him, but I'd be tempted to push Whittaker to right back and bring on Buffel.

Thats what I thought, Whittaker has looked decent in the midfield though at least willing to get into the game.

We do need to pose a greater threat though, but where's it coming from?

JCD or Novo's pace I reckon, had a great chance in the first half if the ref had played advantage as Nacho was clear on goal icon_frown.gif

Ill take that. Just becoming the usual European performance. We need to get a result in Florence which will be very hard, but i said same before Pana and Sporting, and thought we couldn't do it.

We still have a great chance to go through, I would have taken that before the game for sure

Not too bad tbh.

Alexander only had to make a couple of saves (the punch and mutu freekick) Shame Mutu didn't get booked for his handball so he would miss the next leg.

Thought Buffel worked hard when he came on, still rusty but got stuck in at least.

pretty much a re-run of other games at home this year, maybe didn't chance our luck as much. Fiorentina hardly doing anything in the 2nd half, but we didn't do a lot either

Frey's reactions to Rangers players at the end a bit strange, guess that's how he is or something icon_biggrin.gif

Wonder if Broadfoot can take a FK/corner, he can certainly cross a ball better than most icon_frown.gif more dismal setpieces wasting chances to test Frey

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Well the reason he's had to push Davis to the right is to cover Broadfoot. Seriously Kirk, go get a job as a bus driver cos you ain't a footballer.

Big Kirk must have read that at HT as he came storming out in the 2nd half and was actually... dare.i.say.it.... Quite good icon_biggrin.gif

After seeing (albeit small chunks) of that, you lot are going to need to do a lot better in Florence. Fair enough, your defense was good, but even that looked a bit slack in the bits i saw. Didn't seem to offer much going forward either, but as i said, didn't see the whole match.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

After seeing (albeit small chunks) of that, you lot are going to need to do a lot better in Florence. Fair enough, your defense was good, but even that looked a bit slack in the bits i saw. Didn't seem to offer much going forward either, but as i said, didn't see the whole match.

Have you not seen our other home games? Everyone has been the same and take away 2 Weise howlers we would have successfully had 4 0-0s

thought the back 4 + the GK were good again tbh, Broadfoot didn't start too well, but he got better as the game went on

Hemdani has just been dire for months tbh, Davis had one of his weaker games for us. Actually thought Novo came off when he was doing aright, looked as if he was getting the better of some of the Fiore defenders as well.

JCD had some chances to use his pace, but the long ball just doesn't suit him and it showed

Thought it was an odd time to take Novo and Darche off just as we were looking better and probably in the best period for us going forward. Game kinda died down after they went off.

If Cuellar is a Rangers player next season I will be astounded, I know he wants to stay but Murray and Co will surely see some big money offers for him.

Much the same with every away game in Europe (including the loss to Bremen) we've went over and had to produce and we have. Fiorentina ain't up to much and I have a belief that we can go there and score one at least.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Well the reason he's had to push Davis to the right is to cover Broadfoot. Seriously Kirk, go get a job as a bus driver cos you ain't a footballer.

Big Kirk must have read that at HT as he came storming out in the 2nd half and was actually... dare.i.say.it.... Quite good icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kirk was excellent second half. They gave Cuellar man of the match, but I thought Davie Weir was outstanding tbh. Alexander wasn't really tested much, but he did it when asked, gone up a little bit in my confidence icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Thought it was an odd time to take Novo and Darche off just as we were looking better and probably in the best period for us going forward. Game kinda died down after they went off.

If Cuellar is a Rangers player next season I will be astounded, I know he wants to stay but Murray and Co will surely see some big money offers for him.

I think he took Novo and JCD off too early, but perhaps he was looking to Sunday. Buffel tbf did ok when he came on.

Fiorentina, although they maybe didn't show it tonight, are a better team than any you've faced in the Uefa Cup this season, including Werder.

Well, they certainly didnt show it tonight, but carry on hoping we get knocked out Jeebs.

Originally posted by Utter Utter Loser (Ned):

God that was terrible. I don't like this philosophy of settling for a 0-0 at home and trying to nick something away. So boring. But with the players you've got it's probably the method that gives you the best chance of getting through.

It works though, if we tried to match Fiorentina in terms of footballing ability we would have got pumped tonight.

Play to your strengths!

Fiorentina, although they maybe didn't show it tonight, are a better team than any you've faced in the Uefa Cup this season, including Werder.

probably agree with that, Werder were just missing a cutting edge which Fiorentina have with Mutu/Pazzini/Vieri

Werder's defence (apart from Wiese making a mess in the first leg) are probably better, Mertesacker and Naldo are two defenders who would probably grace any team in Europe to be honest icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fiorentina ain't up to much

Was in response to this btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well whoever said that should be shot. Fiore have some amazing players, probably the best team we've played this season bar Barcelona.

Archived