The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fiorentina ain't up to much

Was in response to this btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well whoever said that should be shot. Fiore have some amazing players, probably the best team we've played this season bar Barcelona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said it, and going on their performance, i'd say Lyon, Barca and Bremen are better. They may have some very good players. The players werent showing it tonight.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fiorentina ain't up to much

Was in response to this btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well whoever said that should be shot. Fiore have some amazing players, probably the best team we've played this season bar Barcelona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said it, and going on their performance, i'd say Lyon, Barca and Bremen are better. They may have some very good players. The players werent showing it tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One game. Fiore are a quality side, don't be fooled. You don't sit 4th in Serie A, and over the piece they are much better than Werder and slightly ahead of Lyon.

Ricksen giving the pen away icon_frown.gif

although us Vs Advocaat is still on icon_wink.gif obviously the other one would be Fiorentina V Bayern with Luca Toni going back to play his old club, but hopefully it's the former icon_cool.gif

One game. Fiore are a quality side, don't be fooled. You don't sit 4th in Serie A, and over the piece they are much better than Werder and slightly ahead of Lyon.

Lyon came to Ibrox and gave us a lesson in how to play football, and that was with a stronger side than we had out tonight.

From what I saw tonight, we have a great chance of progressing to the final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Lyon came to Ibrox and gave us a lesson in how to play football, and that was with a stronger side than we had out tonight.

From what I saw tonight, we have a great chance of progressing to the final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're kidding yourself tbh.

don't even think they did tbh, if JCD had scored that chance then I reckon we'd have drawn the game

they only got the two Benzema goals cause we went all out to try and equalise and got caught on the break, his 1st was some finish though icon_frown.gif

Believe me, I aint. I saw nothing from them to worry me like I have in other games this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me you, are. You must be blind or stupid not to see the quality in that side.

Fiorentina will be much different in the 2nd leg, they'll come more at us to try and win the game. I think their gameplan tonight was not to lose a goal (unlikely the way we play anyway) and it would have been a bonus to get the goal, they'll be quite happy and will have a different approach for the next leg.

I do actually think we can nick a goal over there though, surprisingly icon_biggrin.gif maybe it's optimism from what we've done before in the UEFA Cup this year or something

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Believe me, I aint. I saw nothing from them to worry me like I have in other games this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me you, are. You must be blind or stupid not to see the quality in that side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already said there are goo players there, but I've been more worried about coming up against other sides this year.

Of course it will be a difficult game but they, IMO, arent the best team (taking away Barca) that we will have come up against in our Euro run this season.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I'm blind or stupid (although there's probably few hairybacks on here would disagree).

They had full team out tonight and we were missing a few from the teams that have done so well for us.

Originally posted by TM:

Fiorentina will be much different in the 2nd leg, they'll come more at us to try and win the game. I think their gameplan tonight was not to lose a goal (unlikely the way we play anyway) and it would have been a bonus to get the goal, they'll be quite happy and will have a different approach for the next leg.

I do actually think we can nick a goal over there though, surprisingly icon_biggrin.gif maybe it's optimism from what we've done before in the UEFA Cup this year or something

I'm not saying we can't get a result over there, but for Jimbo to dismiss them as he's done probably shows why he has his reputation on here. Fiore are a quality side, unlike Lyon they didn't need to come over here and play all out. False optimism ****es me off.

another thing from tonight's game btw, how the hell did Mutu avoid getting a booking that would have put him out of the game in Florence? icon_mad.gif

deliberately tried to score with his hand in the first half and then he elbowed Broadfoot off the ball in the 2nd, and was talking back to the ref throughout the game. Blatantly going to end up scoring the goals next week, cheating arse

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

I'm not saying we can't get a result over there, but for Jimbo to dismiss them as he's done probably shows why he has his reputation on here. Fiore are a quality side, unlike Lyon they didn't need to come over here and play all out. False optimism ****es me off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldnt care less about a reputation, I dont get hard-ons for people typing LMAO, ROTFL and I agree at my posts.

I have an opinion and I'll post it. If it upsets someone who's fault is that.

People getting upset over peoples opinions need to take a reality check.

Tonight I saw a team that came up against a makeshift Gers side and they looked anything but quality. We aint gonna go over and walk over them, but we wont go over and get a doing from them.

Was just saying to my mate during the game tonight that it's taken me the whole season to finally realise just how well Papac has been doing.

Been playing consistently well in a foreign position all season.

I'd still sign a natural left back in the summer but i'd definitely keep Papac, he might be better back up at CB than Webster, he often tucks in and becomes almost a 3rd CB at times and tonight he had a few really good interventions.

probably get slated for this but hey icon_biggrin.gif.

i thought the way fiorentina played today was terrible, if they had done there homework they would have seen that rangers are there for the taking tonight. massive amounts of injury/suspensions, tiredness is obviously setting in also.

to sit in and accept a 0-0, which it was quite obvious they did, when we can all see that Rangers have been successful in this situation before is very risky epsecially considering Rangers will get a few of their better players back .

and before anyone says im annoyed just because i want rangers to go out, my granda was from florence and supported Fiorentina icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by DrZed:

Was just saying to my mate during the game tonight that it's taken me the whole season to finally realise just how well Papac has been doing.

Been playing consistently well in a foreign position all season.

I'd still sign a natural left back in the summer but i'd definitely keep Papac, he might be better back up at CB than Webster, he often tucks in and becomes almost a 3rd CB at times and tonight he had a few really good interventions.

Papac is as solid a player you'll see. Hopefully Smith comes back and gets back to form and we have Papac as cover for left back and also the center where he's more natural at

I'll take 0-0 tonight. Especially now we have some big guns back for leg 2. Namely Thommo. I thought we were doing well until Buffel and Cousin came on. Didn't think this was the kind of game for Buffel to come on. There wasn't enough space for him.

We'll pump them in Italy btw. icon14.gif

Once again btw, the ITV4 build up and coverage was superb. Why the hell is STV so damn poor? I watched the first half on STV - Archie at his usual best, said 'Rangers haven't lost a goal at home in the UEFA Cup, you can't get much better than that' Well duh. - and the second on ITV which is where I think I'll watch the 2nd leg. They also have the 1st leg of the Zenit game on beforehand, should be a great night.

if we get to the Final, I'm going to find a different ITV1 region on the Skybox I think as I don't think ITV4 will be showing it as it would revert to ITV1 for the whole of the UK

no way would I listen to STV with a European Final at stake

• SI Staff

I'm delighted with that result tonight. I was dreading us throwing it away and having to go to Florence with it all against us.

We're screwed anyway as myself and Gudge have never seen Rangers win when we've been in a stadium together and we're both going icon_frown.gif Hoping for the 1-1 then icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

The only thing with ITV4 is the patronising way they talk about us. It's literally like a bandwagon too when you hear the pundits talking icon_biggrin.gif

Can't honestly say I've felt they patronising at all, feel they are very supportive and want us to succeed, unlike STV where they want us to lose.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

The only thing with ITV4 is the patronising way they talk about us. It's literally like a bandwagon too when you hear the pundits talking icon_biggrin.gif

Commentators were great on ITV4 and the build up was superb. Unfortunately the pundits were gash, being critical of the way we play - which, okay is fair enough, but we are up against a really good side and came away with the result we wanted. We should get more credit from them for playing to our strengths instead of being as critical as they were.

The more the game went on the more comfortable I became. My main concern was set-pieces. Mutu can certainly hit them and then of course Vieri can still pull a bit of magic from his pocket so that'll worry me in the second leg.

Well done to all the players too. A makeshift team, major re-shuffle and we came away with a great result.

• SI Staff

Did the big defender get booked uljwhatever, cos he was bordering on it as well. Overall thought the ref was fine - he's got a reputation for being tough - and actually our players played sensibly.

I thought the ref did a good job tonight. He was fair and the only thing was him being a little too whistle happy with some of the more physical challenges

0-0 was about the best we were going to take over there, so gotta be happy with it. Thought we played a bit better than the Sporting Ibrox game, but still gave the ball away too cheaply. Wish we'd kept on Novo-JCD for 10 more minutes as it was our best spell, but realise we had one eye on Sunday. Looked so tired in that last 15 minutes. icon_frown.gif

Ref was OK, you could see the logic in every one of his decisions pretty much, unlike this country's mob.

Another average performance but another good result. As we seen in the 1/4s and in Germany last night, a home clean sheet can be invaluable in terms of progression. Completely changes the way both teams have to play in the second leg.

We started a bit poorly last night - Broadfoot, Hemdani and Davis all giving the ball away far too easily. However, after about 30 mins we clawed our way back into it and looked more comfortable. Second half we looked like doing something but then the two subs (obviously with an eye on Sunday's game) meant we struggled a bit thereafter.

Nonetheless, despite not playing well Fiorentina never really looked like scoring. A few long range efforts well saved by Alexander - who has done very well so far in goal. In front of him the defence were all pretty good again - Broadfoot and Papac both having excellent second halves.

Midfield never really got going. I like Davis but he seems very patchy and very much a confidence player. Last night he didn't contribute enough IMO. Cousin did well when he came on winning his fair share of high balls but Buffel wasn't as sharp and generally we never really looked like getting a goal.

All in all a reasonable result giving us the chance to progress in Italy. That's not a foregone conclusion by any manner of means but you never know.

You could have almost predicted the result with both teams happy with a 0-0 scoreline. Given the midfield make up, a better result than performance and it might well be a bit easier in the second leg as both teams need to score, unlike the first leg.

Originally posted by Frankie:

A few long range efforts well saved by Alexander - who has done very well so far in goal.

Looked the business last night, very assured. The ball stuck to him all game, made a couple of sharp stops and wasn't shy in communicating when he was unhappy with the defence. A worthy replacement.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

A few long range efforts well saved by Alexander - who has done very well so far in goal.

Looked the business last night, very assured. The ball stuck to him all game, made a couple of sharp stops and wasn't shy in communicating when he was unhappy with the defence. A worthy replacement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Positive that Ipswich and Cardiff fans have been on here wanting him back. Certainly looked assured last night. Sunday should be a fuller test for him though.

Our record this season in 2 legged games has been quite interesting:

Zeta

h 2-0

a 1-0

Red Star

h 1-0

a 0-0

Pana

h 0-0

a 1-1

werder

h 2-0

a 0-1

Sporting

h 0-0

a2-0

Fiore

h 0-0

If consider that in Bremen we didn't really need to do anything but play out the game, they scored but it didn't really matter.

In the CL, we couldn't really expect to win in Barca so thats fine. I felt, and I think most of us did, that we should have at least drawn in Stuttgart and it was our silly fault we lost. The Lyon game at home, well after losing an early goal we had to chase it and they scored twice in the last five minutes. If that had been a 2 legged tie we would not have lost 3-0.

Just something to chew over while we wait for the 2nd leg icon_wink.gif

(although Ter and gudge have jixed it anyway icon_frown.gif)

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Fiorentina, although they maybe didn't show it tonight, are a better team than any you've faced in the Uefa Cup this season, including Werder.

icon_biggrin.gif

You guys repeat yourselves after every round we play, can you not just admit for once you're wrong? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so sure what's so funny about that, seeing as it's correct?

Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Fiorentina, although they maybe didn't show it tonight, are a better team than any you've faced in the Uefa Cup this season, including Werder.

icon_biggrin.gif

You guys repeat yourselves after every round we play, can you not just admit for once you're wrong? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so sure what's so funny about that, seeing as it's correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty much vindicated your opinion by saying that Fiorentina have the cutting edge that Werder don't, but Werder's defence is better icon14.gif

I'd say they are probably equal actually, don't think any are better than each other

Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

icon_biggrin.gif

Not so sure what's so funny about that, seeing as it's correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you watched both teams a lot this season? Agree with TM probably about even.

Bremen certainly have one or two decent players for sure, but the Czech bloke at the back for Fiore is no slough and Frey didn't make the mistakes that whatisname did. I'd say Mutu and Pazzini edge it for Fiore though.

It's very difficult to judge a side on the first leg of a 2 legged semi-final. Both teams want to take a scoreline into the second leg that gives them a chance to win, without taking too many risks and end up in a difficult position. I think both sides achieved that. Right now, any of the four semi finalists could be in Manchester.

depends on how Fiorentina start the game on Thursday night I think actually. If they go for our throat and breakthrough, we'd have to open up. I actually think they might keep posession but also try and keep the defence tight. Especially as they know away goals count double and an away goal for us could be absolutely priceless

we'll play our usual way, try and soak up the pressure and break on the counter to try and get that goal

We need a goal at some point on Thursday. If Fiore score first, we still need a goal so no need to get overly worried. Of course the longer it went that way, the harder it would become. But we've done it before and Fiore will be aware of that.

Anyone know what that state of the pitch is in Florence?

Originally posted by TM:

depends on how Fiorentina start the game on Thursday night I think actually. If they go for our throat and breakthrough, we'd have to open up. I actually think they might keep posession but also try and keep the defence tight.

Me too. Think it's a harder one for them to approach than it is us, which will hopefully work in our favour. I didn't see anything to suggest they were greatly superior to Bremen either?

Youth cup starting now on RTV.

Archived