The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Far too quiet in here! Not much lee-way in the first XI so it's probably going to be the same as Thursday other than Ferguson in for Cuellar. Broadfoot and the two centre-halves are a pretty big worry but it's all we've got. Would personally like to see Cousin on from the kick-off and give JCD the last 20 minutes but don't see it. Worrying times.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a liability against Celtic's biggest threat, esp. with an attacking player like Novo in front of him. Wonder if we'll switch Novo and Whittaker to provide more cover. I know Nakamura scored but McGeady with the ball at his feet at pace is more worrying.

Well Whittaker and Broadfoot didn't work too well on the right flank last week so I doubt that will be the right side tomorrow.

I'd be surprised if Broadfoot didn't get another chance at right back though. He didn't play too well at Parkhead but was booked harshly which hastened his substitution. Add in the pacier Novo to give him a hand, then he may show up a bit more this time. Certainly Whittaker was helped by Novo in the second half and considering we have little other options for the left hand side, Whittaker will probably play there again.

I'd also prefer Cousin up front instead of JCD so it will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

Aye, probably right about Whittaker. Our hand's been forced with Broadfoot, hopefully he takes the chance this time. How we could have done with Hutton tomorrow. icon_frown.gif

The bonus of Cousin is surely his height and strength against relatively vulnerable centre-halfs. Novo running on to his knock ons might cause a couple of problems, but I don't mind JCD being given the nod, as his running and link-up play to feet is just as good and he's more tireless.

Buffel's just not done enough in the last two games to suggest he'll do anything tomorrow. Can't afford to have lightweight guys like that in such a physical battle. I preferred your JCD at right-wing masterplan, Ter!

For a central midfielder, Davis often looks oddly more at home on the right. Still don't see Buffel starting. Also, I think how early JCD came off on Thursday night is a pretty clear sign of who will play up front. Mon the rocket.

Originally posted by McD:

For a central midfielder, Davis often looks oddly more at home on the right. Still don't see Buffel starting. Also, I think how early JCD came off on Thursday night is a pretty clear sign of who will play up front. Mon the rocket.

Really can't make my mind up about Davis. He looked superb one minute then seems to drift out of games very easily the next. That goes for when he plays centrally or on the right. I expect a much better game from the lad tomorrow...

Like you say, the substitution of JCD on Thursday suggests a start again for him tomorrow but that might be a wee double bluff from the cardigan. Cousin did very well when we beat Celtic 3-0 last year so that's why I'd prefer him tomorrow lunch-time. Unfortunately, like Davis, he can also drift out of games and lose confidence too easily.

I guess the fact we're unsure about the team is actually a good thing given the injuries and suspensions we do have.

I'd start with Cousin and keep JCD in reserve. I don't really think Cousin offers much threat coming off the bench as he's probably fallen asleep by then. Really wish we didn't have to play Hemdani as he was woeful against Fiore and hasn't played a decent game since I can't remember when. Broadfoot I expect will be given the nod, and although he did do a bit better in the second half against Fiore, I think McGeady is just too good a player for him to handle and he's a liability.

So with so many poor players, it's amazing we're 90 minutes away from a UEFA Cup Final!

I said it before the last game, and I still believe it that we would lose one and win one of the games at Celtic Park (Or at least not lose it.) and I do think we can come away tomorrow undefeated at worst. It's all about attitude now and who wants it most, and the fact we go into this game two points adrift and could end it a whopping five points adrift I hope and think will inspire the players. They have achieved so much this season, I'm sure they don't really want to throw it all away.

I still think we'll win the league even if we lose, but lets not give them any chance of a comeback please.

Reading the Sunday Mail just now and there is a wee comment about the youth cup final and in particular the songs sung by the Celtic fans - sung to the tune of Give Me Joy In My Heart - "Hope you die in your sleep Nacho Novo, with a bullet from the IRA".

Lovely icon_smile.gif

Novo to score first today then.

Alexander, Broadfoot, Weir, Dailly, Papac, Novo, Davis, Hemdani, Ferguson, Whittaker, Cousin

Substitutes: Smith, Boyd, Faye, Darcheville, Lennon, McMillan, Fleck

time for players to step up today, I'm looking at you Hemdani and Ferguson icon_mad.gif Novo and Ferguson will have to support Cousin for his inclusion to prove right

Mutu should have been booked and out of the next game, think he should be worrying on his discipline to make sure a better ref doesn't book him next week and put him out of the UEFA Cup Final - if they get there icon14.gif

peddling the same line as Messi did and look at Barca this year, they play football of course but Real can pretty much secure La Liga today icon_frown.gif and Man Utd could ensure they end with nothing this year in the CL Semi next week

Originally posted by Haz:

jesus, is there anyone broadcasting live commentary where I don't have to listen to Pat Nevin?

probably no better than fat boy Crocker and Booth in their Celtic tops to be honest

Originally posted by BWCH:

So after the Fulham thing, is Cousin definitely off in the Summer? The guys a beast.

Ha, I'd already typed that before he scored icon_mad.gif

I hope not, he's a cracking player. Can play with the ball in the air or on the deck.

Rangers should make it a priority to get teh guy happy.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

So... set the alarm wrong and missed the first 20/25 mins.

Seen the Cousin goal.....YAAAAAASSSSSS.

How we played lads? I take it a lot better than last weeks effort?

Comfortably the better team, spreading the ball nicely. Davis, Cousin and Fergie outstanding, with Fergie playing right up front. You'll be pleased to know Broadfoot has been excellent too (*touches wood* icon14.gif)

been comfortable in this game, they've scored with an offside goal and a deflection icon_biggrin.gif

much better from our midfield and Cousin has been class, seriously causing problems and hopefully it will continue in the 2nd half icon_cool.gif

hope not, he's a cracking player.

When he wants to be. Most I've ever seen him running about tbh. We invited that equaliser by going much deeper in the last ten minutes but overall we have by far the better side. Apart from Lisbon, thats probably the best we've played this year - more of the same please and we can get the win icon14.gif

Caldwell should have had 2 handballs against him as well, one on Whittaker (i think) cross and then the Barry dive that hit him.

We have looked good but need to be wary of their pace coming forward as the game progresses. They will no doubt throw Samaras on as well.

Need to create a bit more away from set pieces though

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Or KB accros, Whittaker back and Fleck on icon_frown.gif

Looks like poor decision making by Smith. KB to the center and Whittaker to right and JCD on to the left would have been my option. Give Hinkel something to worry about.

Archived