The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Luck with refs comes in roundabouts

There's a difference between luck and sheer incompetence. There isn't a single referee in this country you could hold up and say, yeah he's actually pretty good. How many refs do we have at Euro 2008? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

none reffing the game, Thomson is a 4th official I think though

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Luck with refs comes in roundabouts. I'm sure we'll get it also. Celtic wanted it more in the second half. Bad refereeing can't always be our excuse. Too many of our players went hiding. I would have sent Whittaker off for being pure *****.

It has nothing to do with luck as Peace has said. The overall standard is shocking and you could watch any game over any weekend and see a number of terrible decisions.

This has nothing to do with losing, more that the level of ref's we have now it so poor its worrying.

Back to the game. Something which has frustrated me for a while and that is our persistance in walking the ball into the net. Today Cousin, Whittaker and Davis all had a chance to pull the trigger but didn't. Have a dink every so often lads, you can't win the lotto if you don't buy a ticket as they say.

Yeah the level of officiating is just woeful, they make absurd decisions week in week out across all teams.

Lets hope the lads bounce back this week, they have to realise that it is still all in their hands, we can and should win all our remaining games, tiredness and injuries/suspensions aside. They just have to believe that its still their title for the taking, if they don't then it could be a hard month for them.

While there was a couple of bad calls from the ref, can't really put the blame on him. Once we took the lead the players went deep and invited Celtic to attack, they took a pot shot and made it all square for half-time. That changed the game for me, they were there for the taking and instead of pressing on to extend our lead we just made them out an invitation to attack.

Done next to nothing in the 2nd half, and in the end got what we deserved. Time to re-focus and show our strength of character in these last weeks now.

If our players keep a calm head we can have this sewen up against St Mirren.

Win at Easter Rd and im sure we will in the title.

Cannot stand all the follow follow doom merchants.

It wasnt the Refs fault we lost. It was our own. They sound like Celtic fans, convicing themselves that there is some kind of agenda. All this proves is that there cannot possibly be any kind of agenda against Celtic.

Who gives a **** about Boruc, we already knew that he is a very strange man, who seems socially out of touch.

Thomson will be back, as will Cuellar, 2 of our biggest players.

I reckon if we add one or two youth players to the team, maybe Furnman - Efrem? They have been doing well for the Reserves have they not? In doing so they may give us the hunger and fresh drive we need!!

Whittaker should start right back.

WE ARE STILL IN THE DRIVING SEAT AND IN CONTROL, ITS OURS TO LOOSE!!!!

I agree that it's still in our control, but the ref is getting a mention because of some terrible decisions. First goal wasn't exactly his fault I know, the penalty was just outside the box (but it was very close to call for a ref to call at that time with the naked eye) so I might let him away with that

If a Rangers player had committed the assault that Vennegoor did (it was an assault, he even did the follow through when you attempt to kick somebody) they'd have been sent off, 100% absolutely no doubt. The referee completely bottled it in front of 55k-ish Celtic fans. It's history now as we can't change it, but you can still discuss some of the bad decisions

Gutted this evening. Really didn't expect much before the game but we were pretty unlucky to lose in the end. icon_frown.gif

Dreadful start losing offside goal (even if our defending was awful) but we showed great resolve to come back into it and take the lead. Cousin was really causing them problems and our midfield were running the show at that stage. Then, on around 40mins, we seemed to tire a little and started to sit too deep again. Celtic started to get some good possession and it wasn't a surprise when they scored, even if it did take a wee deflection...

Second half we didn't really get going. Both teams huffed and puffed but once again we left a huge hole in our defence to allow McDonald to get the penalty. The initial challenge was outside the box but Broadfoot didn't need to hold onto him as Faye was covering in time. Debatable if it was a spot-kick but I guess we'd have wanted it if it was at the other end.

After that we never really looked like equalising. The game was very scrappy by now and no flow to it as we had seen in the first half. Bizarre decision again by the officials to send of Whittaker for a tired late tackle on the final whistle summed up the disappointing day for us.

Now we're 5 points behind with 3 games in hand and it's going to take a massive effort to win those and do enough to bring the title home. Fortunately we'll have Cuellar back now (he was a huge miss today) and the likes of Kevin Thomson will also help our midfield no end. We can still do this if we ensure the same standard of play as we gave in the first 40mins.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

I can only assume you haven't seen the replay of Whittaker's attempt at a tackle Frankie?

Yes, I have. The first booking was very poor but hardly touched the player - but I understand the booking for dangerous play.

The second tackle was a tired effort on the cusp of full-time whistle. Other players who'd been booked (Naylor for one) has made similar challenges and hadn't been booked. That tackle was not a booking.

Generally his sending off was pretty harsh when one considers some of the really dangerous challenges in this game (and the last one).

The second tackle was a tired effort on the cusp of full-time whistle. Other players who'd been booked (Naylor for one) has made similar challenges and hadn't been booked. That tackle was not a booking.

just showed how bad the ref was at times today though. Whittaker's looked more like a "frustrated cause we were going to lose" sort of tackle, the ref could have just warned him for it as there was only about a minute left. Of course the ref seemed quite happy to appease the home crowd so he sent off Whittaker and allowed a shocking tackle to get a yellow when it would have probably merited a red in another stadium/different league icon14.gif

After a few hours of reflection, still can't understand how Smith felt it neccessary to bring on Faye (absolute chronic) for Weir when he has 2 centre halfs playing at full back.

Again Broadfoot was exposed at the top level - 3rd game running McGeady has had him at his mercy - thankfully his final ball was poor - but surely sense would have been to move Whitaker to RB, Broadfoot central and JCD on the left. Faye's comic moment when he knocked the ball out of play with a heavy first touch summed it all up.

Fair play to Kirk - he is out of position and giving his best - but Walter surely can see the boy is struggling when he meets pace or a direct winger. And why Whitaker who is naturally right footed, is shoved out to the left is another mystery.

Although questions can be asked about Craig Thomson, Smith has not covered himself in glory today or last Wednesday with his tactics or selection. icon_frown.gif

Tbh, apart from the penalty, I though Broadfoot had a better game than normal. However he still isn't good enough, and even though he is committed and honest as a player, that simply isn't enough at this level. I just think the players let themselves down after a cracking start, but as kerrski says, it's still in our hands. Psychologically though, if they go eight clear on Saturday, thats a helluva long way back. It's really up to the players to stand tall and be counted, win five of six and we're champions.

i said the exact same thing after last weeks game after today, why do you sit in after you score a goal? i would say you were the better team until you went ahead

we aren't the best at the back so you may aswell have a go for the whole game. the game against Shaktar was the exactly the same, sitting back suits us perfectly at home as we more often than not get the goals we need

Originally posted by TM:

looking at the ball or not?

think that picture instantly rules any of the stuff in the other thread about "his eye was on the ball" etc stuff out icon14.gif

don't like Faye, but if that's done outside a football stadium, Vennegoor is looking at a criminal charge for assault icon_cool.gif

that was well after the initial challenge, when the ball is in th air his eyes are on it, no doubt about it

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

looking at the ball or not?

think that picture instantly rules any of the stuff in the other thread about "his eye was on the ball" etc stuff out icon14.gif

don't like Faye, but if that's done outside a football stadium, Vennegoor is looking at a criminal charge for assault icon_cool.gif

that was well after the initial challenge, when the ball is in th air his eyes are on it, no doubt about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets face it, turn that game on it's head and you lot would be whining your faces off about some of those decisions. But thems the breaks, it's still in our hands. You can't win the league, we can only throw it away. (Although looking at it right now thats a decent possibility.)

Like you said, we were well on top and strolling it till we took the lead then the players sat back and thought the game was won. Bunch of idiots tbh.

Still, at the end of the day, it's only a game icon_wink.gif

Its going to be the tight finish that we all thought it was going to be- peculiar team and sub selection yesterday.

Playing 4-5-1 as we always will away from home, under what cicumstances will Boyd and Cousin both be needed on the bench? Buffel has played in the lsat 2 matches and is not included altho there were no midfield options. When Weir went off, there were several options including putting Broadfoot or Papac to DC and Whittaker to full back ( where they have all played before ) but the option of Faye was the most illogical. Not often I have questioned Walters choices this season but that was ceratinly one of his poorer decisions.

Fate still in our own hands but it will be an uncomfortable time till the end of the season.

• SI Staff

First goal was offside, second goal was a fluke and it was never a pen! icon_wink.gif

Caldwell was playing basketball in the first half and we should have had a pen. Dailly was guilty of that near the end as well.

Can't really argue with the performance we put in. Thought we played very well. Was disappointed not to see Boyd in the last 10 mins and was gutted when Faye came on. Whittaker was just an idiot getting himself sent. If we had Carlos playing we would not have lost that match.

It's on now and we can lose one more game and still win the league. Hopefully we've still got enough in the tank

Much better, performance-wise, yesterday considering all our problems. On another day the big decisions might have gone our way and we might have nicked the draw we deserved. Not be though and, as I suspected, our defensive fraility was the difference in a tight game.

Feel like we're gonna lose this now. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by McD:

Feel like we're gonna lose this now. icon_frown.gif

I can sympathise with that POV but I think yesterday's performance showed we still have the quality to win this league.

Bring in Cuellar and Thomson, then we still have a squad capable of doing the business and winning the games in hand. We've now won 2 OF games and lost 2 OF games. Ergo, it's now down to beating the other teams.

Put it this way if we can't go and win our remaining games and get enough points we simply don't deserve to win it. If we don't, we'll all be gutted - probably more upset than any of us young lads have felt before as bears supporters.

However, there has been a lot of good things to enjoy this season as our club makes it's comeback. In many ways, the most important thing is to ensure we build on these relative successes - SPL title or not.

Unfortunately with so many games suspensions and injuries were always going to play their part.

We still have enough strength in depth to cope IMO. Only problem is when the fringe guys do come in they lack match sharpness which can cause problems.

Was he that bad yesterday?

Made one error where he ran the ball out of the park and was a bit out of position for the penalty but considering it was his first game for months, it wasn't that bad.

Probably the wrong choice of sub given his previous poor contribution and questionable 'talent' but I thought Dailly was just as culpable for the goals yesterday.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was he that bad yesterday?

Not really, but it pains me to see someone so mince getting games for our club when I want a game icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon if Amdy Faye and Kirk Broadfoot can play for Rangers, then I see absolutely no reason I can't because I'm damn sure I can play as bad as them.

Rangerstv coverage finished lol

Efrem dived and got booked earlier on. Ever since, the commentator has gone on and on about it. When he lunged for a ball, he said "Efrem dived at the ball, in an at least in an honest attempt this time"

• SI Staff
I reckon if Amdy Faye and Kirk Broadfoot can play for Rangers, then I see absolutely no reason I can't because I'm damn sure I can play as bad as them.

I wasn't happy that Broadfoot played yesterday but I thought he had a decent game.

Faye played in a European game as well. The one where Ferguson and Beasley kept the ball on the right for about 10 mins icon_biggrin.gif

he came on in the Stuttgart game at the start of the CL campaign, think he gave the ball away twice and ran into a Stuttgart player for his contribution icon14.gif

do agree with saying Dailly was at fault though as well. He should have been tighter to MacDonald at the start of the game, yes it was offside but you could have driven a boulder through the centre of that defence at the start. 2nd goal, again he should have been tighter although he did get unlucky with the deflection

Originally posted by Frankie:

Unfortunately with so many games suspensions and injuries were always going to play their part.

We still have enough strength in depth to cope IMO. Only problem is when the fringe guys do come in they lack match sharpness which can cause problems.

I'm actually more depressed after that result that the first loss. I think it's because, ironically, we started really well and the match was there for the taking. It shows though how much we miss Cuellar. Can argue all day and all night about the offside - wonder if like certain others we'll be bringing this up in 10 years time or so icon_wink.gif - but the fact is the defence were woeful at that first goal it just wasn't funny.

Tbh, as much as I admire Walter and you have to admit that his safety first policy was what we needed this season but if you think for instance about John Fleck, now if this young lad was playing for the likes of Ajax and was actually as good as many people say he is he would be in the team. He'll be 25 before Walter even starts to think about him, and thats one side of the old man that really frustrates me.

We can, of course, still win the title and don't forget Celtic only have three games left which they simply must win them all - against three teams racing for the UEFA Cup. I still think we'll have the last laugh, but I really really hope come the summer we get a better quality of player in to take us to the next level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I reckon if Amdy Faye and Kirk Broadfoot can play for Rangers, then I see absolutely no reason I can't because I'm damn sure I can play as bad as them.

I wasn't happy that Broadfoot played yesterday but I thought he had a decent game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He tries his best. But so would I or you icon_wink.gif

Archived