The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Tbh, as much as I admire Walter and you have to admit that his safety first policy was what we needed this season but if you think for instance about John Fleck, now if this young lad was playing for the likes of Ajax and was actually as good as many people say he is he would be in the team. He'll be 25 before Walter even starts to think about him, and thats one side of the old man that really frustrates me.

I think we might see a lot more of Fleck next season. Walter has come in to steady the ship and he was always going to go with experience this season.

Hahahaha

Fleck equalises, and commentator doesn't know what to do. Starts to take it out on the "incompetant" 4th official whose board didn't actually say how much stoppages there were to be.

Flecks goal gets better and better every time i see it

I think we might see a lot more of Fleck next season. Walter has come in to steady the ship and he was always going to go with experience this season.

Yeah I know, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Have to say the commentator on Rangers TV was much better matty icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by matty_8:

Rangers are playing a youth player called Hutton here. Is it by any chance a relation of Alan? If so maybe we should play him at right back and just hope?!

Kyle Hutton - no relation... icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

Rangers are playing a youth player called Hutton here. Is it by any chance a relation of Alan? If so maybe we should play him at right back and just hope?!

Kyle Hutton - no relation... icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif there goes my last hope of another Hutton

Originally posted by FrazT:

Speculation that Rangers are after Alan Smith but Keegan wants Cuellar as a swap!

At least its not Robbie Fowler!

Usual crap after Smith was spotted at the last 2 Old Firm games in amongst the bears...

Can't see us being interested in Smith who has consistently flattered to deceive in recent years.

Usual speculation as Smith has been linked at almost every transfer window for years. I would also have thought that his wage deamds would have been well outside the current set up. I wonder if his under-achievemnt over the years is because of his not being played in his correct position- I remmeber him best as a striker but both Man Utd and Newcastle want to make him into a midfielser.

He would also get sent off too often in our league.

No way would I sawp him for King Carlos though.

I agree that altho Smith could do a job for us, Cuellar is far too important to the defence, especially if Weir is coming to the end and there is no immediately obvious replacement. Carlos will be much needed next year.

chalk me up as another who'd like to see you get smudge - i wouldn't swap carlos for him either though.

think he'd do an excellent job for you. it's often overlooked how important he was to us when we had no fit strikers a couple of seasons back. carried our attack on his own, and did it very, very well.

well, from his apparent 60k wages, he would be taking a massive drop, as i cant see us paying over 30k for any player, let alone somebody who has been under-performing the past few seasons. especially if there is going to be a fee around £5million for him. we may be in a better financial state but we cant afford that outlay on one person.

and no chance should we swap carlos. we need him for next season, along with a younger player to fill weir's boots long term.

shame really. pretty certain he would do a similar job for us that sutton did for celtic

Originally posted by coisty:

Can see Newcastle snapping up Cueller then totally f**king him up like the last great centre back Rangers had!

I Honestly cant See Cuellar going to a club like Newcastle. If the big leagues are a draw for him why leave La Liga?

Money is the only thing that could swing it, but once again, why come to us when he would probably have had a few scouts watching him in the Spanish league.

The only way I see him leaving is if Murray does a Hutton with him.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Enjoy Ter/Gudge but with your track records I hope you dont get into the game icon_biggrin.gif

Good point! icon_biggrin.gif

One of my mates doesn't go to Old Firm games any more as he's seen as a jinx.

Line-up something like this?

Alexander, Broadfoot, Papac, Weir 25%/Dailly 75%, Cuellar, Whittaker, Thomson, Hemdani, Ferguson, Davis 65%/Novo 25%/Buffel 10%, Cousin 75%/Darcheville 25%

If Weir is fit, I can't see how Dailly fits into the line-up, would he even start? How would you rate Cousin/Darcheville's chances of starting?

Originally posted by Utter Utter Loser (Ned):

Line-up something like this?

Alexander, Broadfoot, Papac, Weir 25%/Dailly 75%, Cuellar, Whittaker, Thomson, Hemdani, Ferguson, Davis 65%/Novo 25%/Buffel 10%, Cousin 75%/Darcheville 25%

If Weir is fit, I can't see how Dailly fits into the line-up, would he even start? How would you rate Cousin/Darcheville's chances of starting?

If only there was a way of removing Broadfoot!

tbh, if Weir is fit, I would still prefer Dailly over Hemdani, as he has been terrible every time i have seen him this season. and my prediction is that Cousin will start, even though i'd much prefer Darcheville for his sheer workrate and running over Cousin

not much chance, but if I was in Walters shoes thats what I would do. I would also attempt to lose Whittaker. I know everyone here despises the boy, but this is the games that I would prefer big carthorse Lee McCulloch.

Hell no I wouldn't want McCulloch anywhere near a game like this, totally glad he can't play.

tbh, if Weir is fit, I would still prefer Dailly over Hemdani, as he has been terrible every time i have seen him this season. and my prediction is that Cousin will start, even though i'd much prefer Darcheville for his sheer workrate and running over Cousin

Cousin starting would be the correct option, with JCD coming on later in the game. Cousin could batter that guy with headband, he looked a bit dodgy tempramentally tbh, and then once he's been battered to bits JCD comes on and runs rings round him.

Will be a miracle if we pull this off tbh.

Quick stat I just worked out being very bored:

Rangers results versus bottom 6 teams:

2006/07 - 32 points in 18 games

2007/08 - 48 points in 17 games (St Mirren to play)

Could be 19 points difference there, thats where we have gained this season.

STATS!!!

ok, this took me a while and i'm not actually sure what it shows. Might aswell show you my findings, see if you can take any conclusions from it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Possible points:

Top 6 - 60

Bottom 6 - 54

2003/04 - Top 6 - Points = 33

Bottom 6 - Points = 48

2004/05 - Top 6 - Points = 50

Bottom 6 - Points = 41

2005/06 - Top 6 - Points = 34

Bottom 6 - Points = 42

2006/07 - Top 6 - Points = 40

Bottom 6 - Points = 32

2007/08 - Top 6 - Points = 27 (possible 15 more)

Bottom 6 - Points = 48 (possible 3 more)

</pre>

(i dont usually use code, hope that worked)

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

So nervous icon_frown.gif

I hear you mate... icon_biggrin.gif

Just hope we give another good account of ourselves in Italy tonight. Something like the Livorno game would be nice... icon_wink.gif

No matter what happens we've had a decent year in Europe this season so we can be proud of our achievements even if we do go out.

im less nervous for tonight than i have been for many of the European nights this year. thats probably because i dont really expect anything at all. just putting in a good performance tonight would make me happy

im less nervous for tonight than i have been for many of the European nights this year. thats probably because i dont really expect anything at all. just putting in a good performance tonight would make me happy

I'm not nervous about the game, i'm just thinking that in about 8/9 hours we could be in a European final....

F**k me icon_eek.gif

Not sure how the games going to go, but I think we have a shot at scoring at least one, so that gives me a hope.

Ah well, trying not to get too worked up before the game starts, need to get the Cerveza's into the fridge, just incase.

pretty much what he said, I don't expect anything from this as this is where the European adventure ends I think icon_frown.gif

still 18 games in Europe and lasting till May is a stunning achievement icon_cool.gif Mutu should have been banned for this game, he will be the match winner and I will shout expletives at him when he does it icon_mad.gif

I thought the Sporting game was a bridge too far when we could only draw at home. We proved that wrong.

It's a tough one to call because part of me thinks this is the end of the line, but there's something else that thinks...... it might be, it just might be.

I thought the Sporting game was a bridge too far when we could only draw at home. We proved that wrong.

surprisingly, I didn't icon_biggrin.gif I'd have been a bit annoyed going out to Sporting after beating Bremen who I consider to be a much better team

Fiorentina and Bremen are pretty much on an equal footing (Bremen defence better, Fiore have a better cutting edge) I just think the defence are going to have to be brilliant tonight and Alexander might to do McGregor sort of heroics like seen in Bremen. Obviously we are capable of that, but any chances we get will need to be taken. I think we will be better in midfield tonight with Ferguson and Thomson back - but the attack Fiore have just looks too tough to stop

although if I'm wrong, then I'm not bothered icon_wink.gif

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, would have been devastated to lose to a Sporting side who weren't really all that great. I just felt that we could not go away from home again and do the bizz. We are after all Scottish, and we all know the script by now. It will all end in tears.

This has been a great adventure in Europe this season but in truth the team has overachieved and whilst I sincerely hope for a result tonight, the neccessary points to win the league are at least as important for the clubs future.

Archived