The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by jimbo22:

I see King Carlos won the Football Writers PotY award. At least they vted for the rightful winner icon_wink.gif

Yeah- well deserved after a terrific season. Lets hope he is used as the rock around which the defence is built and not a eay of making money in tne transfer market.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlos Not Interested In England Hibernian V Rangers Today, Kick-Off 2pm Live Setanta Sports

CARLOS CUELLAR last night promised he won't quit Rangers in the summer for a big-money move to the Premiership.

The Spaniard has been outstanding at the heart of the Ibrox defence since arriving from Osasuna in a s2.2million deal last year.

And his stunning displays in Rangers' run to the UEFA Cup Final have attracted the attention of clubs down south.

Kevin Keegan is keen to take Cuellar to Newcastle and plans to make a bid of around s9million.

Sunderland boss Roy Keane is also well aware of the stopper's ability but Cuellar wants to stay and help Rangers build on the solid foundations put down this season.

As he prepared for this afternoon's vital SPL game at Hibs, Cuellar said: "I have settled quickly and that's because I came to Scotland with a desire to do well.

"I am happy at Rangers and have a contract until summer 2011.

"I know there has been talk about clubs being interested inme and a lot ofmoney has been mentioned but that is out of my control.

"My only thought is about trying to win our next game.We have a busy period coming up and need to focus to win the SPL."

Cuellar has built a strong partnership with DavieWeir (below) and hopes the veteran defender stays at Ibrox for another season.

The 37-year-old might move back to an English club for the new season and Carlos said: "Davie is my friend and that's why we have such a good partnership.

"I'd like to see him play for at least one more year with Rangers. It is possible because he is in great physical condition."

Gers assistant manager Ally McCoist has been impressed with the way Cuellar has performed in his maiden SPL campaign.

And he reckons the stopper has been every bit as inspirational as Brian Laudrup was during the nine-in-a-row era.

McCoist said: "We used to attract big-name foreigners but that is not the case now. The best all play for teams like Milan, Liverpool and Chelsea. Finances dictate.

"We now have to get a different type of foreigner. We have found Carlos and he is without doubt as valuable to this team as Laudrup was to the side I played in.

"They are completely different types of players but in terms of their value to the team Carlos is as important as anything we have.

"That is the type of playerwe are looking for - someone whowill give us something else.

"John Brown fancied him as much as anyone and he knows a defender when he sees one.

"Carlos is receiving attention and it comes with the territory that clubs are sniffing around him.

"We can't stop that and have to take it as a compliment.

"But if we tried to sell Carlos now I think the fans would be there to burn the place down - and I would be one of them."

Cuellar's performances haven't gone unnoticed by Spain boss Luis Aragones and a call-up to the full squad might not be far off.

He's running out of time to reach Euro 2008 but helping Gers lift the UEFA Cup would aid his cause.

The defender said: "They are talking about the possibility of me being involved in the squad. I would be thrilled if that happened and winning the UEFA Cup may well increase my chances. It would put me in the spotlight."

Rangers came under fire again for their style of football after seeing off Fiorentina on penalties last week to reach the final.

Werder Bremen and Barcelona also took pot-shots at Gers after facing them in Europe but Cuellar defended his club against the flak.

He said: "Maybe Fiorentina were better than us but the best team doesn't always win. That's life.

"It doesn't matter to me what Fiorentina or any other side say.

"The losing team always seems to make negative comments. All I care about is being ready for Sunday's match at Hibs and the seven games we have after that. That is the most important thing.

"The players have been through many matches this season but that is why we are footballers.

"We would rather have that than be out of every competition and able to go on our summer holidays earlier than every other player.

"At the moment things are looking good and we are in line to win four trophies - but there is still a long way to go.

"Whether we can win everything remains to be seen but there will be no lack of effort.

"We have to bring out every last drop."

Well said Ally icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

Haha, can see Gudge and my mate doing the bouncy at the end of the Fiorentina v Rangers: Post match reaction clip here. I was in there somewhere as well.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/videos-pics/videos/sport-videos/

What sort of view did you have of the game? Seemed a strange stadium and people at the end where the pens were taken I'm amazed they could see the pitch tbh.

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

4-4-2 today......

Think we are going to have some tired legs, bit nervous about today.

Today is the key game. I know we can afford to lose one of our final six as long as we win five, but we've only taken one point from the last nine and truth is we need a win today. Players might be tired after Thursday, emotionally at least, but you have to think the adrenalin of getting to a European final will see them through.

Cousin starting today, and the lazy git owes us big time after his behaviour in Florence.

We look tired today, but luckily we've not had to play at a higher tempo than we might have had to if Hibs decided to play a bit better.

Broadfoot really irritating me with his continuous foul throws. I don't understand why he has been picked to take the throw-ins if he can't do it right.

Luckily the ref hasn't spotted it yet but if the score is still 0-0 and it heads into the last 10 minutes, you can see us pushing harder and his inability to grasp the basic rules of throwing a ball properly could cost us possession icon_mad.gif

40:19

Attacking throw-in by Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers).

39:55

Attacking throw-in by Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers).

39:18

John Rankin (Hibernian) caught offside. Direct free kick taken right-footed by Neil Alexander (Rangers) from own half, resulting in open play.

39:04

Attacking throw-in by Kevin McCann (Hibernian).

38:48

Attacking throw-in by Ian Murray (Hibernian).

38:26

Attacking throw-in by Ross Campbell (Hibernian).

38:02

Defending throw-in by Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers).

not watching, as exciting as it sounds?

Broadfoot really irritating me with his continuous foul throws. I don't understand why he has been picked to take the throw-ins if he can't do it right.

I've noticed that, someone really needs to show him how to take a fecking throw in it can't be that hard.

Pretty crap so far, need to get the finger out second half.

A bit better than that icon_biggrin.gif

Hibs had a real good chance right at half time. Ball whipped in from the left, Alexander opted to punch it directly onto a Hibs players head icon_biggrin.gif

Lucky it hit off the Hibs lad and out for a goal kick.

Rangers had a couple of chances. Cuellar from a corner. Headed at goal and bounced in front of the keeper who palmed it away from another corner.

That's probably the best bits of the first half. Dull game, neither side willing to attack each other. Rangers seem happy to pass the ball about outside the Hibs box. No-one really wanting to take a shot.

why is Setanta naming the official for the offside that shouldn't have been icon_biggrin.gif

if we want to play "name the officials" lets name the ones who have given Celtic decisions in the last 3 or 4 games, but of course it's Celtic TV so they wont icon_rolleyes.gif

anyway, we really need to show more desire and create more chances. Hardly any width is leaving service up to the front 2 non-existant. Hibs have pace and width and have looked a bit more lively which is unthinkable for Gers when we have to win this game to keep ourselves in the driving seat

can probably see somebody like Darch/Boyd being used in the 2nd half, maybe take off Dailly and move Novo back into the midfield

why is Setanta naming the official for the offside that shouldn't have been

It's not as if he scored, how do they know Alexander wouldn't have saved any shot or it might have gone over the bar? Standard of commentating in this country as bad as that of the refs.

icon_frown.gif Making it even tougher for ourselves. I'm really starting to doubt if the boys have the legs to deal with this situation. I really hope we can do it but I'm getting less confident after the past 3 SPL games

SPL title has gone now, Celtic will win their last two games - wonder if Hibs will show as much fight next Saturday hmm - and I can see us dropping more points. The players just don't have what it takes to deal with so many games. Oh well, just have to win the UEFA.

pish, can't say more than that icon14.gif

Dailly the old granny did absolutely nothing all game and should have been hooked for JCD long before 85 minutes - well he wasn't hooked, it was a striker icon_cool.gif

doesn't really help that any width (Burke, Naismith, Buffel, Beasley) are either injured or posted missing but we really didn't look like getting anything and didn't deserve anything anyway.

That was absolutely ****ing pathetic. The team showed no hunger. Too many hoofed balls and hardly any off the ball runs exposed our limitations. Novo was back to his dire possession wasting self. Quite frankly Smith's substitution tactics are ****. He waits far to long before bringing strikers on to try to change a game. icon13.gif

Don't see us getting maximum points from the remaining games, so hopefully Hibs will play like this on Sat.

The Thomson/Boyd free kick confusion/incident whatever you want to call it. Surely the captain should have been on hand to sort that out. But naw Barry was no where to be seen. Kinda like most games lately.

First half - snooze

second half - slighty awake

Want to win the title then they'll need to show a bit more hunger for it.

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wonder if Hibs will show as much fight next Saturday hmm

not really got an excuse like that, we were just rubbish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I was responding to a comment made by one of the idiots on the 'other' thread icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I said a while ago that I had a funny feeling the Aberdeen game was going to be crucial.... It looks as if it's going to be icon_biggrin.gif

well if Celtic and us win our games till that day, we will have to win there to take the league on the last day

at least I think I'm right? icon_biggrin.gif

Still think you'll win the league, that's the hardest fixture out of the way.

Aberdeen at Pittodrie with a league title possibly on the line? Motherwell will be tough as well - we'll have to hope for some corners to be given icon_cool.gif

Guest sav112

Hope we still make it, but in all fairness after the Tic games I lost a bit of respect for the SPL after Celtic went down the route of trying to injure as many players as possible.

A team should never have got to the stage that pressure is reversed due to catch up games when Rangers were clear. All we needed was a wee bit of luck today something the other side is getting in buckets with disallowed Aberdeen goals and phantom corners.

Only bright side is getting to the tow Cup finals, the Uefa Cup Final being truly amazing with this squad. I’d still take it over the Title anyday but to loose to that Celtic side just shows how much its taken it out of our squad.

Let it roll to the End of the season and lets hope we swing back for the title but seriously out league must be the laughing stock that its in such a state as this. Back to #Back old firm games should never happen again especially with a Euro qualifier in between and the fact one side can purposely go out and try and injure the other team knowing they play them again next week…..

Even although Celtic or Rangers will not have walked it who ever wins the SPL, its been a poor affair unfairly unfurling the past few weeks.

Its when you watch Chelsea V Man U you can see the players still play the game fair to a point….

Originally posted by Gary Toner in the Summer Transfer Rumour Thread icon_smile.gif

Rangers - updated

Fred

Guirane N'Daw

Fernando Cavenaghi

Aruna Dindane

Above from various French rags and none of them going to happen. The rest in various British news sources off the top of my head ;

Alan Smith(It's not a summer without his name mentioned)

Kenny Miller

Peter Lovenkrands

Ivan Klasnic

Steven Davis

Guirane N'Daw(NOTW) Mentioned above icon_smile.gif

Mikael Forsell(Sunday Mirror)

Kaspars Gorkss : Blackpool (Sunday People)

Players linked out ;

Alan Gow - Aberdeen, Hearts

Carlos Cuellar - Newcastle, Spurs

Allan McGregor - Newcastle, Spurs

Daniel Cousin - Fulham

If either Forsell or the Blackpool lad sign I'll personally shoot Walt, Sir Tightwad and Bain. Although Forsell fits our policy perfectly being a once average striker who is now crap due to knee injuries icon14.gif

Is the Cousin deal to Fulham done and dusted for sure? Really hope it is and the buggers lose next week and go down, it's what he deserves tbh.

We can never trust Murray because he spouts pish and has lied so much in the past, but he did say that in the summer we would be bringing in players with a bit of quality, whatever the hell that means.

What the last few games have shown is, we need more width, better strikers and more creativity in the middle.

read something about Walter wanting to get flair players in during the summer and realising that he had to play this way for this season because we don't have the width/flair players to do it

we'll see what happens in the summer though

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Is the Cousin deal to Fulham done and dusted for sure? Really hope it is and the buggers lose next week and go down, it's what he deserves tbh.

We can never trust Murray because he spouts pish and has lied so much in the past, but he did say that in the summer we would be bringing in players with a bit of quality, whatever the hell that means.

What the last few games have shown is, we need more width, better strikers and more creativity in the middle.

And a defender to replace Weir.

I watched out kids rip the pish out of a very strong Aberdeen reserve side the other day. Whilst it's clear we do need to bring in a few more players, I'd like to see 2-3 of the kids breakthrough very very soon. This has never been Walter's strong point and that along with leaving subs way too late in a game, is his biggest weakness.

• SI Staff
What sort of view did you have of the game? Seemed a strange stadium and people at the end where the pens were taken I'm amazed they could see the pitch tbh.

I've got some pictures that I'll link to later. Still to shattered to be bothered posting them icon_biggrin.gif

So our lack of wins continues... icon_frown.gif

Thought we played reasonably well enough considering the changed team, system and the fact we had just played 120mins in Italy a couple of days earlier. However, again our midfield (Thomson excepted) under-performed and simply didn't give us the creativity we needed to break down a resilient Hibs side - the irony isn't lost on this bear!

The next two league games are now especially crucial. Both being at home means it's imperative we win both, to at least take the title race to the last week. In doing that we'd increase the confidence a bit amongst the fans setting us up nicely for Manchester.

Three away league games in less than 6 days is a tough schedule but one that we can take on.

Since the 5th March we have played 17 games, and scored only 20 goals conceding 14

Europe p6 w2 d3 l1 for 4 against 1

SPL opponemst p8 w3 d3 l2 for 12 against 11

Div 1 opponents p3 w1 d2 l0 for 4 against 2

This surely backs up Frankies point about lacking creativity in midfield. Even allowing for the European opposition and 3 games against Celtic, 1 goal per game says it all.

Archived