The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody expected us to get the UEFA Final. I don't agree with postponing this Saturdays game anyway, the players would just spend the week fretting over the UEFA Final. Lets face the facts here, these are professional athletes, they get paid a ludicrous amount of money for kicking a ball about a park, and then they claim they're 'tired' what a load of pish.

How the hell can Cousin be tired, he does bugger all in a game anyway. Ferguson has been pfaffing around for at least six months doing feck all, Thomson was injured for a fair while, even Novo hasn't exactly played that many games.

My main argument is not that the fixtures should be moved or not moved, but is all this bollox about people with a vested interest trying to hide under the pretence of integrity when it's got feck all to do with that. The Rangers players just need to get on with it and do what they are paid to do.

Scottish footballing authorities have shown year after year they are incompetent - hell show me a football official that actually is competent the game seems to be run all over the world by utter morons - why should this year be any different.

Btw has gingerfurball died after the excitement of the Fiore game?

Peacemaker - agree with what you say about the players. We're at a stage in the season now where games are coming 2-3 days within each other and I'm sure that the lads wont be training any more. They'll play a game, rest or get treatment from the physios and relax the muscles in preperation for the next game.

It's not as if Walter is drastically altering the team and getting us to play a whole new system every few days. It's the same 4-5-1, it's the same group of players and it's the same style of football. Nothing changes.

The whole tiredness thing is a state of mind. If you start looking at the fixtures and saying "oh christ this looks tough" then it will be.

The whole furore over the fixtures by the Rangers management might instill that thought into the players. If we're asking for an extension then it might sound to some players that Walter is worried about players getting too tired after games and they'll start believing that that's going to happen.

Maybe.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Still not a lot of time though is it?

You can only ask for the postponement once you've qualified for the final...

We did so within 24 hours of the Fiore win.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Still not a lot of time though is it?

You can only ask for the postponement once you've qualified for the final...

We did so within 24 hours of the Fiore win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was stopping us from saying "Just in case we get to the final..."?

Nothing stopped the SPL publishing two sets of fixtures "just in case"?

My thoughts are that all sides are to blame in the row developing the last few days. Rangers not making more fuss when we really should have done, SFA for keeping quiet and watching from the sidelines before throwing in their tuppence worth too late, and the SPL for failing to draw up any sort of contingency plans in what is a unique set of circumstances that - touch wood - won't be repeated.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mike McCurry is refereeing our game this weekend

haha, there's a big surprise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and? I don't think any of you lot can say anything about "ref integrity" looking at what's happened in your last 3 SPL games which should have been all draws icon_rolleyes.gif pretty certain if it was us getting the decisions, you lot would be absolutely raging and the media would have blown it all up

anyway, the SPL/SFA don't have any choice but to go with what's been said for the fixture list at the end of April. They and I pretty much expect everyone was looking for Rangers to go out of Europe at sometime, we got to the Final and there was no chance to change anything mentioned with the SPL fixture list.

Zenit can get favours off the Russian FA because their league has just started, ours is at the bitter end. I don't like all the "Rangers have never went looking for extensions" that we were getting about 2-3 weeks ago, we lose twice to Celtic, drop points to Hibs and then we are bleating away. As much as it's a hard fixture list for a team playing in a European final to try and win it, the only reason we are whinging is because we don't have the league sown up.

Wednesday, Saturday and Wednesday is how we've played most of the season tbh, it shouldn't be that hard for players to get up for a season end which could end with such glittering consequences. I know we've had a bad time recently domestically, but this team are just seven wins away from practically being a legendary team in the eyes of Rangers fans. It could even be less if Celtic were to come unstuck against Hibs although I doubt that will happen.

If they want to get even more psyched up, think about how the situation has put us with 7 games in 17 days and how good it would be to win all of them and on May 24th, finish off the season with a quadruple haul of medals and cups. They know the situation, it's not going to be changed - this is their chance to become legends icon14.gif

The 'This is your chance to become legends' banner worked well on Sunday, hope you have it out for every game till the end of the year.

Could maybe have a 'This is your chance to become the biggest bottlers we've ever had' and see if that works.

i dont think any games should have been moved.

it was obvious in the early new year that there were going to be a potential fixture pile up, mainly down to the weather at that time. that coupled with the extra european games, there could have been a contingency plan in march/april.

there were opportunities to bring games forward and nobody chose to do it.

despite the pile up, the final game of the season or the cup final should not be moved. it disrespects the cup, and the final games should always be played at the same time.

im a bit worried about the league but we can still do it

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could maybe have a 'This is your chance to become the biggest bottlers we've ever had' and see if that works.

You mean like your 2003 team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would our 2003 team be the biggest bottlers Rangers have ever had?

Stop always attempting to compare us, we're trying to throw off the Old Firm shackles and be treated on our own merits. Dont want to be dragged down to your level.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could maybe have a 'This is your chance to become the biggest bottlers we've ever had' and see if that works.

Stop always attempting to compare us, we're trying to throw off the Old Firm shackles and be treated on our own merits. Dont want to be dragged down to your level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the case why aren't you in the Chelsea or Arsenal threads as much as you are in here?

Originally posted by underwater sunlight:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and be treated on our own merits

i can see the urge for you to spend so much time in the thread of the other half of the old firm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should refresh more often. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Stop always attempting to compare us, we're trying to throw off the Old Firm shackles and be treated on our own merits. Dont want to be dragged down to your level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You come into the Rangers thread, post some ******* nonsense then take the huff when PM7 owns you? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I personally could never be dragged down to your level I'm just way too good for that, sorry.

Everyone got their UEFA Final tickets OK...? icon_wink.gif

West Stand, Level 3 for me... icon_cool.gif

No icon_mad.gif

Thinking I might pop over to Ibrox though, unless someone sends me a 100 quid to get to Manchester.

Anyone else thinking of popping over to Ibrox, we could have a mini meet?

Zenit's preparations ....

Zenit calling off 4 games in preparation and getting ready in Holland ....

Zenit St Petersburg will prepare for next week's Uefa Cup final against Rangers in head coach Dick Advocaat's native Holland.

Zenit have postponed four Russian Premier Liga games in order to concentrate on the final and will fly to Holland on May 10.

A friendly match against Louis van Gaal's AZ Alkmaar has been organised for Saturday evening.

Advocaat has confirmed he lobbied for Zenit's Russian domestic campaign to be put on hold until after Euro 2008 for the sake of the Uefa Cup final.

And the Dutchman defended his decision despite the lack of match practice leading up to the City of Manchester Stadium clash and subsequent fixture congestion that Zenit will face later in the Russian season.

"In a friendly match, we will get playing practice and the risk of injuries is far less," Advocaat said.

"My players are only thinking of the final and, therefore, that could impact negatively on any matches in the domestic championship."

Everyone got their UEFA Final tickets OK...? icon_wink.gif

West Stand, Level 3 for me... icon_cool.gif

Bastard.

My season ticket holding friend didn't get any extras to sell to me (his family had already bought 3 after the shootout). Plus, I'm 80% certain that the steal of a deal I found is a scam. Otherwise, there's a guy in Italy who's holding 2 tickets for me in good faith at a £400 ransom.

So tempted to gamble on it.

To be honest, I think you'll have a better chance of getting genuine tickets at a more reasonable price in Manchester on the day of the game...

OK, leaving it so late is risky but conducting deals with foreign unknowns is even more so IMO.

It's going to be some day down there. GMP and Manchester City Council now working with Rangers to ensure more fanzones and screens. The message got through eventually!

I absolutely agree with you.

I'm quite tempted with the idea of making the trip down on the fly and hoping to get lucky. I may even combine that with an all nighter and sleep on the train each way.

There's no point in breaking it down further than that as I've not thought it through whatsoever.

Adalberto Cricera could be a nice chap for all I know icon_biggrin.gif

Can't afford it either but still going. Attending a European final (win or lose) isn't something that will happen very often.

Worth the financial pain IMO...

No, I mean I REALLY can't afford to go. I don't have enough money to get down icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

I've got a return train ticket to Manchester for £35, nowhere to stay and no match ticket.

Hoping to resolve the other two before I go but if not then it should still be a good laugh and I'll sleep in a park or something icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Can't afford it either but still going. Attending a European final (win or lose) isn't something that will happen very often.

Worth the financial pain IMO...

No, I mean I REALLY can't afford to go. I don't have enough money to get down icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. If I actually had the money, I would be seriously thinking of going. Could probably just about scrape the £22 for the bus ticket, but then I'd have to share Ter's park bench.

It's tempting, but I dunno.......

Jeebus guys just do it. It's a european final ffs!

The worst that happens is you have a mental adventure that you can always talk about, or BBB fondles your backside between 7-8am.

Wish I'd gone to Seville, seriously contemplated skipping my GCSE's at the time icon_biggrin.gif

Having been around in 1972 when they went to Barcelona, I seriously regret not going then when I had the chance, so I would encorage anyone who has the option to take it now- it may never happen again in your lifetime.

In other great news: Adam back in the sqaud for tonight. icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

Mini meet up in Manchester?

Sounds good. I'll be the one with the Rangers top on. Can't miss me. icon_wink.gif

Gonna be such a tough game given that Celtic were pushed really hard last week - Motherwell played superbly well.

What's the scenario then...

Win and it's still our title?

Draw and... possibly goal difference if we both win remaining games?

Lose and game over?

In other great news: Adam back in the sqaud for tonight.

probably get at least one decent shot, hopefully it ends up in the net

could have done with him against Hibs on Sunday with that GK they had in, probably would have made a mess of some of his FKs icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

Mini meet up in Manchester?

Sounds good. I'll be the one with the Rangers top on. Can't miss me. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only ever been to Manchester once and I got lost.

Where is the ground from the city centre?

• SI Staff
I've only ever been to Manchester once and I got lost.

Where is the ground from the city centre?

Dunno why you're asking me, I've never been before icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
I think the prospect of an all-nighter in Manchester would be more viable with some kind of company as the chances are I'd be heading down on my lonesome.

No bother mate, drop me your details in an e-mail and we can sort something out nearer the time.

I think the prospect of an all-nighter in Manchester would be more viable with some kind of company as the chances are I'd be heading down on my lonesome.

QUOTE]

Yeah that would be my situation, Not many Rangers fans down my way icon_frown.gif

Just trying to decide if I can afford to go and get the time off work.

We'd be like our ve own 'firm'.

"OTF OTF OTF"

Make a banner and take it with you, would LOVE to see that on the TV icon_biggrin.gif

Archived