The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More chance of Zenit fans giving JCD a standing ovation onto the pitch tomorrow than Wattie making any significant changes to the formation.

Enjoy yourself lads. Next time I post we'll be the latest in a long line of Scottish inglorious failures. Or not!

Well. That's me off to bed to get up in time to get the 10.10 from Central down to Manchester. Gonna get there around 9:30 at the latest to make sure I get my reserved seat. It's gonna be mental, but it'll be worth it to get down there.

Anyway good luck to everyone getting to Mnachester if you are! Let's hope we do it. Obviously.

• SI Staff

I'm on the 10:35 from Euston. Going to the station early to have a pint with the bears in the bar. I'm going to be so drunk and forget the game icon_frown.gif

This event is going to be worse than V 2005 and Muse at Wembley last year for me.

MON THE GERS! Hope everyone in Manchester has a great time and my next post will be after Barry has lifted the UEFA Cup.

MON THE GERS!

I'm not going to say I want you to win because I don't. I'll wish you the best of luck, and say that if you do get beat, (or thumped for that matter) I'd have no objections. Although if you do win, well done.

Good luck though, I just hope for a decent game and that the best team on the night wins.

Just had a call from my brother back home. He convinced my dad to "accidentally" miss a meeting a work and they are busy preparing to travel down to Ibrox.

Hopefully they'll get into the place and pick me up the programmes they are selling.

Apparantely they are selling the actual programme from Manchester as well as a special one prepared for those in Ibrox - and the giant screen will be showing the road to the final and messages from the players.

Real buzz about the office today. Some peoples hidden allegiances are coming out today icon_biggrin.gif

Just had a text from my son who is driving down to Manchester saying that the M74/M6 is an amazing convoy of blue flagged vehicles. An incredible sight.

Lets hope it is a good competitive game, everybody is safe, there is no trouble, the fans are sensitively policed and that the second leg of the quadruple is safely bagged.

Right, balls out of the bath... predictions for tonight?

I've been swinging between a Zenit win and a Rangers win the last 2 days.

They've got the attack, but we've got the defence. Yesterday I thought it could be a game where we get ripped to shreds, this morning I felt pretty confident that we'd win 2-0 for some reason.

I think we'll do it. The players deserve it. The manager deserves it and it'll round off a great few years for Scottish football.

Never mind being a Rangers fan, as a Scottish football fan you've got to hope Rangers do it tonight. I'm sure a lot of Rangers fans cheered on Celtic in the final back in 2003, and I hope a lot of them will be cheering us on today. Remember, these results affect our co-efficient for European competition which benefits both teams (and the diddy ones on their fortnight tour of Europe in August)

I supported Celtic in their final and the Porto players really ****ed me off with their antics so I'm sure some Celtic fans will want us to win.

As for predictions, I'm going for a 1-0 Rangers win. I predicted us to go through on pens in the last round but had no money on it sadly.

Part of me says we will win - but I dunno I just think that part is being stupid. But then why not? And after all, I've pointed out constantly the link with '72 long before the media latched on - probably read this forum tbh - but then I don't believe in fate or destiny now, do I?

It was funny, yesterday as I watched Walter's press conference it suddenly hit home - we're in the UEFA Cup Final (The UEFA Cup was sitting almost right outside my shop at this time last year when I worked at the airport), and you know something..... it might be, it just might be.

It wont be a goal fest

It would be good if it was a wide open emtertaining game but I doubt it.

If Rangers score first, they wont lose but it will be a long night

If Zenit score first, Rangers wont win in 90 mins but may after 120 mins and it will be a long night.

I remember the impact the 1972 team had so lets hope this group of good professionals can emulate them. If they do, it will be a long night.

it will probably be the greatest thing to ever happen to us as a club since I've been supporting I reckon - wasn't alive for the 72 CWC, my dad was though and he said it was magnificent to see the Gers come home with the trophy from Barcelona icon14.gif

Seriously have no idea when we'd ever get in a European Final again (next time will be 2044 if it was to go another 36 years) so to take the opportunity and win it would be a dream come true to be honest icon_biggrin.gif

I still think Zenit will be too strong for us and probably a one goal defeat, but the only goals we've lost have been to Bremen away and Panathinaikos away so if we do win the Cup, it will be based on our "wall" like defence pretty much and hopefully JCD and Novo counter-attacking. So exciting to think we are in a European Final and only a win away from lifting the trophy, although unfortunately a very good side stands in our way icon_wink.gif

going to get the ITV Audio Description (basically ITV1 London) on Sky tonight (that's channel 993 for anyone who doesn't want to watch STV) so I can listen to a commentary team who want us to win, unlike Walker/Archie and co icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Never mind being a Rangers fan, as a Scottish football fan you've got to hope Rangers do it tonight. I'm sure a lot of Rangers fans cheered on Celtic in the final back in 2003, and I hope a lot of them will be cheering us on today. Remember, these results affect our co-efficient for European competition which benefits both teams (and the diddy ones on their fortnight tour of Europe in August)

The "it's good for Scottish football" argument is nonsense. It's good for Rangers and Celtic plus the other 3 or 4 teams that have a chance of European qualification. Means nothing to the vast majority of Scottish clubs. Anyway, even if Rangers lose tonight, it's not like all the co-efficient points will be taken away so Celtic fans can quite happily support Zenit in the knowledge that Rangers have already boosted the co-efficient.

Of course it's good for Scottish football, why wouldn't it be? People around the world are getting to see a Scottish team contest a European final. Perhaps they might change their opinion on our league - surely that's a good thing?

Especially if those people are better players, coaches and managers that have we have just now.

It's not just about the co-efficient. It's about our profile. The co-efficient benefits the teams in European competition as it means we can skip rounds, be paired against weaker opposition and hopefully continuously advance to the later stages.

It's not just about the co-efficient. It's about our profile. The co-efficient benefits the teams in European competition as it means we can skip rounds, be paired against weaker opposition and hopefully continuously advance to the later stages.

pretty much need all the points we can get at the moment, no offence to Doonhammer (think he's the QOTS fan on here) but I can't see them doing too much in Europe next season icon_wink.gif and Dunfermline were put out by part-time Swedish team Hacken early on this season icon_cool.gif at least Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen got the boost of points for the co-efficient though

Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

Like I said, it's good for the top 6 clubs in the SPL but other than that?

What if an Old Firm team uses money generated for Europe to buy a player from SD1?

Okay, it's not going to be millions of pounds, but that club might be able to hold out for more than ten grand if they know that Rangers or Celtic is able to afford to pay a bit more money.

You've then got opposition fans coming from abroad entering Scotland and spending money, helping the economy.

I mean, I could go on here. It DOES benefit the WHOLE of Scotland, not just certain parts of Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

What if an Old Firm team uses money generated for Europe to buy a player from SD1?

Okay, it's not going to be millions of pounds, but that club might be able to hold out for more than ten grand if they know that Rangers or Celtic is able to afford to pay a bit more money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering how unlikely that is, I think you've pretty much proved my point. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

Okay, it's not going to be millions of pounds, but that club might be able to hold out for more than ten grand if they know that Rangers or Celtic is able to afford to pay a bit more money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering how unlikely that is, I think you've pretty much proved my point. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

yeah Zenit are racking up the statistics but haven't been especially troubling yet, but I am sure their pace will create at least one golden opportunity. We haven't tested their defence enough to know if it is much cop yet - Ferguson was really poor in the move that led the JCD being fouled just outside the box; had he taken the responsibility to hold it up until Darche got into his stride he could have easily slide him in on goal.

ach well, faces off the ground lads - UEFA Cup Finalists and beaten by what was the better team. Just one step too far that was, but to get to a European Final and not really get beaten badly is an achievement in itself. We didn't get embarassed and we can be proud of how we've done this year. Almost half a domestic season spent in Europe, our profile in Europe has been improved and then some icon_biggrin.gif

now....to get rid of this disappoint, lets win the SPL title and the Scottish Cup and complete the domestic treble and make up for this icon_cool.gif

They did deserve that tonight, no gripes with that at all.

Class team, Dick has put together a really good side.

Proud of the lads run though, we got to the final and thats a hell of an achievement when you look at the teams that didn't.

We just need to bring in a player with that extra bit of special class who can open a game up with a piece of magic

what a tardfest the match thread is, though to be expected I suppose.

I'm disappointed but not in the least bit crushed or any of that nonsense. Quite ironic that we actually played some quite nice stuff at the start of the second half - should've stuck to the anti-football icon_biggrin.gif

what a tardfest the match thread is, though to be expected I suppose.

yeah I should have just stayed out of it, but who cares icon_cool.gif

just happy to be there, would have been nice to win it, but that's how it goes

Still, it was well milked back in 2003, so a big hearty GIRUY from me! WinkBig Grin

not really that bothered tbh, I didn't want you to win in 2003, so it's obvious you wouldn't want us to complete what you didn't do icon_biggrin.gif

we are both UEFA Cup Final failures now, although 2 Finals in 5 years for Scottish clubs is some achievement icon_cool.gif

we are both UEFA Cup Final failures now

icon_cool.gif And yeah, 2 in 5 years is pretty good. Thanks for the co-efficients btw, just as the ones we built up went away.

And just saw some pictures on the news there about the Rangers fans outside. Basically loads of beer being chucked about, then two guys in the middle of it all doing the bouncy icon_biggrin.gif

just hope they all keep their cool tonight, we didn't win but there is no need to ruin the reptuation in Europe over this run because of bitterness - especially in an English city

Zenit were the better team, we can't complain

Archived