The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's actually over. Dundee Utd will lie down thanks to McCurry and his shitness, and we won't blast 8 past St. Mirren as the only striker we have who can hit a cows arse with a banjo doesn't play coupled with the fact we'll play 451 anyway icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Bye bye title.

Tbh, they way the side has played the last three months they don't deserve it anyway.

pretty much agree with that one, we've been pish in the last 2 months and today just continued that. WTF is the point in waiting 25 minutes to bring on 2 strikers, a blind monkey could see things weren't going to change

Walter and Eck seem to have the same mentality though, Eck used to do the alamo charge thing in the last 10 minutes and Walter seems to enjoy doing that as well. 80 minutes, you are drawing 1-1 and the title is slipping away > you bring on your top scorer when he should have been on about 65 minutes to actually give him time to do something

I wonder how Boyd feels in this sort of situation, here is Cousin who would have rather went to the Premiership with Fulham in January, Boyd is the top scorer at his favourite club and gets 10-15 minutes-ish to save games and is pretty much relied on to try and save us - despite the manager not having any sort of belief in him and picking others before.

Completely thrown away the title and it feels sickening. Craigan should have been sent off today, but I doubt it would have made any difference, had to play the long ball due to the pitch being shocking I expect - although Well were able to pass on it, so it's probably just the footballing ability of certain ones.

Also - what is the point of Lee McCulloch? embarassed that we paid £2.2m for this footballing donkey

Ok. Season basically over. Here's what I think of who should stay and go:

McGregor Obviously stay. The man has proved himself to be the latest in a long line of excellent Ibrox keepers. Not to be sold for less than £10m imo. Essential keep

Alexander Capable backup for McShagger and excellent penalty stopper icon_smile.gif, but sometimes looks way out of his depth in goalmouth scrambles. Not the best handler of crosses either. Would bring in another first choice keeper if Alan goes. Keep

Broadfoot Not a first choice RB and not a first choice CB. Tries his little cotton socks off for the team and shows passion, but is clearly a limited player. Would only keep him if he's to be a backup centre back - who would buy him anyway? Maybe keep

Whittaker Maybe will start next season as first choice RB if Walter decides hopefully that other areas of the team need the money spending on them as a priority. A very versatile player who can fill many gaps left by injuries. Keep

Cuellar Don't need to actually say anything here. Good to hear the big man is talking of playing for us next year. Essential keep

Weir Too old. His lack of pace has cost a few goals towards the end of the season. Maybe a back-up player/coach role awaits for next season. Keep/Retire

Webster Is he actually ours? Less seen then a Yeti he should only be kept (judging him from his time at Hearts) on a pay as you play deal. Keep on pay as you play deal

Papac Underated solid player, forced to play at LB all season. Would keep to cover this position, not sure how good he is at centre-back tbh. Also some passion was noted after Fiore away icon14.gifKeep

Smith Little to say. Hopefully will reach the level he was at pre-injury problems and then keep developing. Keep

Hemdani Useless waste of space in recent months. Doesn't look interested anymore and his range of passing and tenaciousness has been posted missing. Sell

Thomson Really starting to look the part. Makes the tackles and then plays some nice simple passes. Essential keep

Ferguson Not the player of old, but on his day is still one of the best SPL midfielders about, and there is no doubting his determination. Played most of the end of the season on injections. How much has this affected his game? Keep/Won't be sold i a million years

Davis Started his loan enthusiastically and has a nice range of passing. Shouldn't be played on the wing really, and started to look tired by mid-March. Keep but only if Walter is not going to play Furman/we can swap him for Cousin

Adam At times shows some flashes of brilliance but mostly frustrating. Not so much of a danger from set pieces this season and needs to get more involved in games (often carried). Keep as a squad player, but if an offer comes in bite hands off

McCulloch Won me over at start of the season when he was scoring. Was able to overlook his lack of first touch, constant elbowing, lack of heading ability, lack of pace, lack of passing etc. Will probably be kept by Smith as muscle to bring on Pay someone to take him

Novo Limited player who tries his heart out for the team. Often found guilty for missing relatively simple chances but gets himself in those positions. Pace means he is a threat and can play the wings if needed. Keep

Burke Frustrating player and next season may be his last chance. Needs to learn to cross properly.Sell if a decent offer materialises

Naismith Lots of energy and always a danger. Gets past his man and provides runs in the channels. Could be a huge player in the future. Maybe he will get more game time next season Essential keep

Beasley Was just starting to make an impact when he was forced out for the season. His pace and crosses will be more than welcomed next season. Essential keep

Boyd Fan who's the clubs top scorer. Needs to play with a partner and will score goals guarenteed. Walter doesn't seem to rate him though. Essential keep if he's going to play which doesn't make sense icon_biggrin.gif

Cousin GTF Sell as ASAP

Darchville Provided a few goals and does well at playing the lone striker. Injury proneness, and age makes me think we should sell him. Not the out and out goalscorer we need though. Might as well play Sebo tbh. Sell if an offer comes in

--------

Buffel Not going to play. A waste of money. Sell

Gow See above Sell

------

Sebo Will he go to Valenciennes? Maybe a deal can be cut. Personally would give him a last chance if we can't get £1m for him. Sell if the offers right

Fleck Hopefully will get first team game time next season. The next big thing. Essential keep as he's the new Rooney/Ronaldo/McCulloch

Furman Looked like a young Barry when he came on against Hibs. Assured on the ball and nice vision. Hopefully will play a first team rotation role next season to aid his development. Keep

Hopefully not missed anyone out there icon_biggrin.gif

-----------

Not much depth there really. I feel we need one top quality creative midfielder and a top quality centre-back as priorities, along with another winger, a right back and a goal scorer (Klasnic basically signed up according to Frankie)

It's the price we have to pay for a successful season i'm afraid.

I'd have happily went out of the CIS cup very early and even the scottish cup if it had meant we'd win the UEFA cup and the league.

Unfortunately it looks like CIS and Scottish cup, the two leats valuable trophies, are gonna be the ones we pick up after an incredible season. Shame!

But at least it brings the whole structure of the Scottish league back onto the agenda, the fact is, there are far too many games in an SPL season, it needs to be looked at.

Fleck Hopefully will get first team game time next season. The next big thing. Essential keep as he's the new Rooney/Ronaldo/McCulloch

god I hope not, but nobody can be as bad as McCulloch tbh - surely if you were, you'd retire or something. I just wonder what the point in buying him was, he can't really offer anything upfront apart from heading the ball on which he doesn't usually win and on the left side of midfield he is pathetic, he just doesn't do anything at all

Scraped into the top 6, thumped out both domestic cups, a manager widely derided by his own support, players deserting the side like rats from a sinking ship. It's all OK though, Lee Miller's signed a new contract.

No wonder he's laughing. It beats greeting.

Smith's negative tactics cost Rangers again today. A tepid performance and shoving 2 extra strikers (JCD again looked like a pub player) with 10 minutes to go won't cut it.

McCulloch should never be near the starting 11 considering his lack of practice or threat he offers. Same arguement could be offered for Adam. Broadfoot still played a RB while the natural RB Whitaker is played LB. Finally why is the only decent goal scorer on the team still being given 10 minutes here or there. While the memories of Manchester will live for years, the football is nothing to savour and Smith has to take the blame for this.

When was the last time Rangers won an away game in the SPL out of interest?!

When was the last time Rangers won an away game in the SPL out of interest?!

February I believe, so we'll probably end up losing this league on points rather than GD because of the abysmal away run

i can see us throwing the title away.

it's gone already icon14.gif seriously wonder what is going through Walter's head when he plays Lee McCulloch on the left side ahead of Buffel and Gow

Buffel even looked aright in the SC Semi Final as well, must have had a bust up or Lee's been storing more pics away of the gaffer

Guest sav112

McGregor Just hope we dont see a big cash offer!

Alexander Capable backup icon14.gif

Broadfoot Not a great fan of his football, I always feel he’s the weakest link, back player only.

Whittaker Obviously in Walters Building plan, a player who should get better over nest season.

Cuellar Again hoping that a silly offer does not come in for the Lad. In truth he’d be my first name on the team sheet.

Weir Too old. Agree done well this season but we should not be depending on a player of that age, but Walter and himself probably knows this.

Webster Nothing to say.

Papac Nothing fancy just plays to his own game. Hope he’s in the squad for next season.

Smith Young player, so hope to see him develop

Hemdani Yeah we need to sell him, no question he has ability but don’t think he wants to be here in the SPL.

Thomson Obviously in Walters Building plan, a player who has already done well and should get better.

Ferguson Needs to get any Injuries sorted out and pick up his game, he has been disappointing at times.

Davis Looks a great player, question is does Walter value him enough to purchase him.

Adam Not a great Fan of the player.

McCulloch Never worth the Money.

Novo Got us into the Euro Final, loves the Club and runs his heart out.

Burke Has to decide to make his mark! He’s no youth but I think he still thinks he is. He either improves or ships out.

Naismith A player to improve and will under this Management remember some of us would have given Hutton away, proves what a great back team can produce.

BeasleyA player we probably missed at times this season. Hope he comes back stronger.

Boyd The enigma that is Boyd. This guy can win games and cups single handed but should work more for the team. Walter clearly does not fancy him . Think it’s the old formula of forwards he’s after – one powerful forward along with a hard working partner.

Cousin If we can make Money on him Fantastic. Not been impressed with him at all.

Darchville A player who has done his bit this season, worked hard with little support at times. If we hard keeping Boyd or Novo then we should sell him on.

--------

Buffel Yeah sell

Gow Wont be sold, so will have to wait and see.

------

Sebo Dont think you will see him back.

Fleck & Furman Both look really good players and there education will continue

D

-----------

Creative midfielder,Centre-back, class forward and a Right-back are Essential And ok we don’t want to splash stupid Money but with getting to the CL groups stage and Uefa Cup final we have earned a few Bob not to mention the sale of Hutton for nine million.

• SI Staff

Well that's us blown it then. No way we're going to hump Mirren by a load of goals and Dundee Utd aren't going to do us any favours after last week.

If anyone tries to blame the SPL then give them a slap.

Thankfully, I doubt we'll read many excuses... We've just ran out of gas and too many players have been exposed as less than good enough for the last couple of months. Simple as that.

Ironically, we played very well in the first half today. Deserved the goal from an unlikely Broadfoot punt and if Cousin had put away his early (and well made) second half chance, we'd have been sitting pretty tonight. Unfortunately, after the equaliser (I don't think we've lost a worse goal this season) we lost cohesion, confidence and any sort of creativity whatsoever. As such, I can't see us scoring 7+ goals on Monday night - nor are we likely to have the required energy to beat our chums from the North in Thursday convincingly.

I don't want to be too downbeat though. We've had a fine, fine season and despite the depression of losing the UEFA Final (yes a European final) and despite allowing Celtic back into a race we should have finished before now, the signs are very positive.

A few new players in the summer (a centre-half, an attacking midfielder X 2 and a couple of strikers please) and we'll see further improvement in terms of title challenges, formations and tactics. We're already ahead of schedule - now we just need to build on a decent season by hiring/firing the proper staff.

I'm away on holiday for a few days on Monday and when I come back I'm pretty sure we'll all be ready to again for next year's thread. Here's looking forward to another 90 pages of excitement.... icon_cool.gif

Guest sav112

Family problems aside this is the first day I’ve been interested in the SPL for weeks, just a pity it’s not that great a result. Funny how when something happens to a family member it’s the insignificant things like football that you loose all interest in, I was not even going to watch the Euro final..... icon_frown.gif

Cant really be on a downer even if Celtic do win it’s a poor side they have and deep down they know it. Gers this season with a make shift side have produced the goods in Europe and in Scotland right till the end.

We had to qualify for the CL, I remember when we thought that was as good as we could hope for. Three cup finals and probably the title down to the last day can’t be bad and certainly Celtic have no bragging rights over us after there season.

If someone could guarantee that Newcastle or other EPL team were noting going to offer silly Money for Cuellar or McGregor I’d be more than happy.

Ok I suppose, when the dust is settled, at least we've managed to take Celtic right to the wire and I guess we should be happy enough with that. Personally, I'm not happy with it because I simply don't and never will buy this excuse of too many games. It's just nonsense.

There was absolutely no fight in that team today, no creativity and as much I respect Walter for what's he done for this club there are two areas in which he is pish poor - and two reasons he seriously needs to move aside at the end of the season and let McCoist-Durrant take over.

1) Walter is hopeless at substitutions. I've noticed this for a while now. There really is no point at all in waiting until 15-20 minutes left before bringing on replacements when you are chasing the game.

2) Youth - Walter Smith never had and never will give youth a chance, it was his big failing last time and it will he his failing this time. We have some decent youths, we have a team of players who are can't or won't motivate themselves - I mean come on, you have a title to win and you turn in a performance today that was nothing short of farcical. And you can't even use the tiredness excuse for most of that team that was out today - and yet Walter stubbornly refused to give a chance to players who, if they are not good enough for the first team why are they at Ibrox (And as Furman showed, he at least and I'm pretty sure Fleck as well, certainly are)

Walter came in to a job that we really needed at the time, to bring stability and confidence back to a side who had been utterly wrecked by Paul Le Fud. I just think that he should now become say General Manager and let the younger staff take over. We need to build on this season, become more creative and adventurous and that simply isn't Walter's style anymore.

Still, when all is said and done, he has done an excellent job - even for me anyway the season has been ruined by mindless yobs.

Also - what is the point of Lee McCulloch? embarassed that we paid £2.2m for this footballing donkey

I simply do not understand why Lee McCulloch is a footballer. I mean, sure we can slag Kirk Boradfoot off, but at least Kirk is an honest guy who gives 110%, knows his limitations and does try to put in a decent shift. (I still think he isn't good enough for us though)

McCulloch offers nothing at all. As Ibroxhero says he can't run, he can't pass, he can't head, he can't do anything at all. He runs around like a headless chicken kicking at and elbowing everything and anything that is in the way - except the ball. I would actually be inclined to say that Lee McCulloch is the least talent person in footballing terms ever to pull on a jersey at any club in the world - he is NOT a footballer. I'm better than he is and I'm 44 ffs.

Just a random point, my mates amateur team had to play sat/tues/thurs/sat/tues/thurs/sat to make up for the bad weather over the winter.

These boys all have full time jobs and played the games no bother. Can profesional athletes really complain about the schedule despite their only job being staying fit for the year.

Tbf to big Lee, he looked alright at Wigan.

When he came up here, all I heard from Rangers supporting mates was he was a brilliant passer, a brilliant header of the ball, and someone who could play upfront or on the wings.

Wasn't looking forward to him coming up here as, from Wigan, he seemed pretty decent, but after this season, bloody hell.

Originally posted by Ter:

Who is complaining about the schedule? icon_confused.gif

Few of my mates are. Nothing to do with here ofc.

They've got that godawful "F**k the SPL!" on their bebo pages, and are quite happy to blame everyone and everything else for any of Rangers shortcomings this season.

Haven't spoken to any of them about today's result, but I can imagine one of them is rather close to meltdown.

These boys all have full time jobs and played the games no bother. Can profesional athletes really complain about the schedule despite their only job being staying fit for the yea

nobody is complaining about it at all, as you say these are professional athletes (well I'm not sure about McCulloch and some others tbh) and they get paid very good money to play the game.

Not winning an away game since February isn't Championship winning form despite the home form being spot on - Celtic have won the last 6 games and even if some of them were dubious, that is Championship winning form. I'm just annoyed that we have practically thrown away a title that should have been won ages ago

also we have a lot of passengers in the team which has led to what's happened - Broadfoot will never be a RB, he can possibly play okay at CB but we'll never know. Ferguson has been dire for the last few months and yes I know he's got to have surgery - but if the guy really cared about the team, he'd have just said "you know, I won't be able to give 100% for this attempt to win these trophies, maybe somebody else can do a job that I can't"

obviously the squad depth has made that almost impossible, but Ferguson has went missing in so many games this year, I'm surprised there isn't any appeal out for him to be found icon_frown.gif

If you had told us we'd be within a few points of Celtic at the start of the season, getting a UEFA Cup Final place, winning a cup and being in the Final of the other I think most of us would have been calling for the mental police for whoever it was to be honest. It's just the idea of being so close (we were never going to win the UEFA Final and the best team did anyway) but it's sickening to throw away the title in this way - although I guess we know how Celtic felt in 2005 when the exact same thing happened and after an OF game as well

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">These boys all have full time jobs and played the games no bother. Can profesional athletes really complain about the schedule despite their only job being staying fit for the yea

nobody is complaining about it at all, as you say these are professional athletes (well I'm not sure about McCulloch and some others tbh) and they get paid very good money to play the game.

Not winning an away game since February isn't Championship winning form despite the home form being spot on - Celtic have won the last 6 games and even if some of them were dubious, that is Championship winning form. I'm just annoyed that we have practically thrown away a title that should have been won ages ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be argued we should have had it wrapped up a long time ago too.

In fact, both teams inbability to string together a definitive amount of results has resulted in such the topsy turvy climax.

2003 was worse for me, but only just.

Was pretty gutting to lose the league after being pretty much certain of winning, but losing 2 cup finals and the league (by a goal ffs) in the space of about 2 weeks was just awful.

At least you've got one cup this season.

if I remember correctly (hazy on 2003 though) weren't us and your lot pretty much neck and neck most of the 2003 season? then we got a lead and threw it away

sure we had something like a 6pt lead and drew 2-2 away and then lost/drew a game to put both of us equal, then you lot won your home game and we went away to Hearts and won 2-0 to set up the final day shootout. Final day was pretty much in our hands cause we had a one goal lead going into it - 2005 would probably be more gutting as you were just 3 minutes away from the title

sorry for bringing back memories, but you'll have the last laugh on Thursday it seems icon_wink.gif

Yeah, I think it was losing the UEFA final, then the League, then the Scottish Cup final in such quickness.

2005 was probably the worst league ending I can ever imagine, apart from a penalty in the 95th minute, but 2003 was the worst season ender ever. At least we got the Scottish Cup in 2005.

• SI Staff

Would be interesting if we pumped St Mirren on Monday.

And it will be interesting to see what sort of team Walter plays and how attack minded it is.

I think we'll win the game, but I doubt we'd do them by that much - unless we pretty much put away any chances which we haven't been doing in recent times

We won the title on GD in 2003, it's Celtic's time in 2008 icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

There is still football to be played though. It's unlikely that we'll win our two games and Celtic will lose or draw their game but we can keep believing.

I didn't get to see Helicopter Sunday because I was playing football that day and had given up hope of us winning the league. On Thursday I'm flying to Northern Ireland so won't get to see the game. It is a sign! icon_wink.gif

There's a massive myth that's sprung up about the 2003 season.

Celtic lost 2-1 at Motherwell on the 11th September 2002. We beat Hearts the following night to go top of the table - a position we didn't relinquish until Celtic won a game in hand against Motherwell (their 35th) 4-0 in April to go top on goal difference. After rounds 36 and 37, Rangers were top of the league. On the final day, we were top of the league all day bar 15 minutes at the start of the second half.

Rangers led the league comfortably more or less that entire season (we were 8 points clear going into the split), before contriving to almost throw it away. The league was never Celtic's to throw away - they'd been unsuccessfully playing catch up from September 12th.

In fact, Celtic's game in hand was at the start of May (the 7th iirc), not April. We lost 2-1 to them on the 27th of April, before drawing 2-2 at Dundee the following weekend (Celtic beat Dunfermline the day before to close the gap to 2 points) so we'd been top of the table for 8 months continuously.

In 2005 and this season, both teams have spent their time at the top. In 2002/03, the title was dominated by Rangers until the final stages.

As has been said above, the form over the last 3 months has not been good enough to justify winning anything, far less the quadruple. Since March 1st the record is:

P 22 W 9 D 9 L 4 F 28 A 19

Far too many draws and not enough goals

The other problem is the lack of a consistent goalscorer.

The 4 main ones this season have been:

Apps League Others Total

Boyd 21/14 13 8 21

Cousin 24/14 10 2 12

JCD 25/19 10 3 13

Novo 16/28 10 5 15

So out of the 65 games played so far this season, JCD has started the most at 38%-

When was the last time that after 36 league games Rangers top league scorer had only 13 goals? We urgently need a player who will play 50 times a season and score 30-35 goals altho this requires sonmeone in midfiled or wide to provide the service.

As I said before, at this rate, the St Mirren game is no gimme!

• SI Staff

I'd go 424 on Monday

GK: Alexander

DR: Whittaker

DL: Papac / Smith

DC: Cuellar

DC: Weir

MC: Thomson

MC: Ferguson

FC: Boyd

FC: Cousin

FL: Novo